Dave Vonner's rise from the gutter

[b][u]May 1986[/u] - Week 1[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: I'm up against Jerry Brisco again tonight. I was walking out toward the ring as my music played and my trusty manager introduced me, when suddenly I hear a loud honking sound! I duck but too late -- I'm thrown twenty feet into the ringpost on the outside by a Volkswagen bug driven by Ricky F---ing Steamboat! Somehow I manage to get up, and I decide to fight on despite being badly wounded ... everyone urges me not to but I won't disappoint my fans! I'll kill that bastard though when I see him! I'm already in danger mode, but I slip back into a semi-conscious state as I focus my mind on one thing: hitting my moves. Secondary but of equal importance is dodging Brisco's moves -- even something simple could put me down and out! Slowly I begin to wear him down, while I myself teeter on the brink of needing a medical disqualification ... Finally at the 14:00 mark he hits me with a running dropkick and I collapse to my knees, as the ref calls for that medical DQ I was trying so hard to avoid. The match drew a "C+" rating. After the fight, Jim Crockett Jr came out into the ring. Through a haze of blood I saw him clapping! "Well done, Mr. Vonner, well DONE!" he says, continuing to clap. "Getting out here and fighting for honor's sake after taking such a brutal hit deserves some recognition!" He reaches down behind the ring and pulls up the NWA Heavyweight belt. I lay there dazed as he hands the belt to me. The crowd erupts in cheers for me, as I pull myself to my feet and hold the belt in the air! Could this be a new page that has turned over for me? [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: Tonight it's me and Roddy Piper against Ricky Steamboat and Dory Funk Jr! You'll have to get a video of this one if you want to see play by play, because it was such a long bout it's exhausting just to remember it! All I can say is that we let this one last too long and were then smacked around by Funk and Steamboat. At the 55:00 mark, Funk got Piper to submit to a Texas Clover Leaf Leg Lock, and the match ended with a "B+" rating overall. [b][u]May 1986[/u] - Week 2[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: I was not booked tonight. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: Me versus Rowdy Roddy P tonight! He's challenging for my NWA World Heavyweight belt in a 30 minute time limit match! But it went terribly. I was doing a great job, then I missed some key moves that both wore me down and allowed Piper to gain the upper hand. He beat me in 19:00 by submission, using the Main Event sleeper hold. The match drew a "B-" rating. [b][u]May 1986[/u] - Week 3[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: I'm losing overness, and thus the fed has me booked against Ivan Koloff, in the hopes that I can pull out of my slump and get a win under my belt. I did win the match, but not straight up. The 20:00 fight ended when the ref decided I'd beaten up poor Ivan so badly that he couldn't put up a defense! The move that finished him off was the Winged Splash of Death! Ah, memories ... hadn't done THAT one in a while! The match got a "B+" rating. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: It's me and Ricky Steamboat in the ring, and finally I'll get the chance to extract some revenge for the "car incident" as it's been called. I want his United States Heavyweight belt, and I'm gonna get it! I got my sweet sweet revenge by beating him in 17:00, getting the submission with the trusty Goodnight Irene sleeper hold! The fans gave it a "B-" overall. [b][u]May 1986[/u] - Week 4[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: I was booked tonight against Mr. Wrestling, who wants my newly acquired belt! Ha! He thinks he's worthy. I beat him in 20:00 after locking him into the Weaver Lock for the submission! The match drew a solid "B+" rating from the fans, and I proved I CAN defend a title! [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I was not booked tonight. [b][i]Sunday[/i][/b]: Time for May Clash of the Champions! And tonight I'm up against Ricky Steamboat in another feud match: a 45:00 time limit match for retention of the US Heavyweight Title! But I didn't need to worry, I stomped him tonight in front of thousands of screaming fans, who finally get to see me turn face! As I hold the belt up high, having beaten the bastard who tried to kill me outside the ring with a f---ing Slug Bug, I know I've made it in this business. I'm a superstar, damn it! Whoooooo! (This match drew a "B-" rating, but since Steamboat didn't sell well, it was better than I expected). [center][b]Record[/b]: 136-116 [img]http://jonathansanders.0catch.com/UnitedStatesHvy.jpg[/img] [b]United States Heavyweight![/b] Successful Defenses: [b]2[/b] [b][u]Overness[/u][/b] [b]US[/b]: 98% ([b]+3[/b]) [b]Spirit[/b]: 69% ([b]+4[/b]) [b]Power[/b]: 25% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Technique[/b]: 68% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Speed[/b]: 46% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Psychology[/b]: 94% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Stamina[/b]: 43% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Toughness[/b]: 71% ([b]+4[/b]) [b]Charisma[/b]: 36% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Microphone[/b]: 43% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Safety[/b]: 80% ([b]+4[/b]) [b]Looks[/b]: 74% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Respect[/b]: 52% ([b]+4[/b])[/center]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[center][i][b]The key to my survival was never in much doubt the question was how I could keep sane trying to find the way out things were never easy for me peace of mind was hard to find and I needed a place where I could hide somewhere I could call mine[/i][/b][/center] I grew up in the heartland of Indiana, a small nowhere town that doesn't even make it on most state maps. All my life I was an above average student, but I was bored out of my mind. I knew I loved wrestling, and I told all my friends that one day I'd be a superstar. They laughed. I told my parents about that dream. They didn't laugh; they screamed and yelled and told me I'd be throwing my life away. I had full ride offers from Harvard and the ilk, my father yelled. How could I throw it all away for some stupid wrestling gimmickry? I'd end up starving in the street, and he wanted nothing to do with that. So I'd slogged my way through senior year, accepted a scholarship to attend Notre Dame in South Bend, even made plans to move up there and start classes. But something kept telling me I needed to try to make it in the wrestling world or I'd always regret it. So that was when I told my parents I was turning down the Notre Dame scholarship and heading out west. My father beat the s--- out of me, threw me out of the house and said he never wanted to see me again. "No son of mine's going to be a failure!" he yelled as I walked away. [center][b][i]I couldn't stand to hear the crying of my mother and I remember when I swore that, that would be the last they'd see of me and I never went home again[/i][/b][/center] Now nearly three years later, I'm at the top of the wrestling world. I'm making money, I'm doing what I love, and yet I keep thinking about the family that isn't getting to be a part of this. I decided after Clash of the Champions that I needed to go home and patch things up with my family. I flew in to Indianapolis and then made the drive down to Tell City, enjoying the three hours of peace and quiet. When I pulled up in front of our house, it looked like no one was home. But I went up and knocked anyway. My mother came to the door, and nearly passed out when she saw me. She quickly hurried me inside, and we spent the next several hours catching up. I told her about my wrestling adventures. She told me about dad's three heart attacks. I felt that some of that had to rest on me. She said it wasn't my fault, he'd always had a raging temper and high blood pressure, it was bound to catch up to him. He'd be glad to see me, she said. I hoped so. He showed up as mom was putting dinner on the table. I'm standing in the living room, dressed like a successful young man, my arm outstretched to shake his hand, to start to put the past in the past ... [center][i][b]Oh his words how they hurt me, I'll never forget it And as the time, it went by, I lived to regret it He sat me down to talk to me he looked me straight in the eyes he said: "You're no son, no son of mine You're no son, no son of mine You walked out, you left us behind and you're no son, no son of mine!"[/i][/b][/center] I'm standing there shocked. Mom drops a plate in the kitchen as I try to explain that I'd finally found something I could enjoy doing and that I was GOOD AT ... there was nothing that worked. He was adamant. I don't want anything to do with you, he tells me. Get the f--- out of my house. Don't come back and keep upsetting your mother. You're no son of mine. I walk up to my mother and give her a quick hug goodbye and slip her the check I'd been planning to give the two of them, to pay off the mortgage that had always driven dad up the wall. I don't know if he'll let her cash it. I don't care. I've done my piece, I've moved on, I guess there's no looking back ... [size=0]Lyrics quoted from "No Son Of Mine" by Genesis. Excuse the anachronism, I know the game date is 1986 and the song came out in 1991.[/size]

[b][u]June 1986[/u] - Week 1[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Ivan Koloff wants a shot at my United States Heavyweight belt! But I'm wanting to bring some glory back to holding the US Heavyweight -- no one has ever been able to hold onto it for more than nine defenses, and in the past thirty months, the belt has changed hands thirteen times. Koloff's going down (though at least he's qualified to hold it, he's had the belt twice, for a combined 16 defenses!) Anyway, the fight wound up being absolutely brutal, and no matter what I hit, he seemed to hit something even better! The 30:00 bell rang, and I couldn't tell MYSELF who had an edge the judges could have seen! Judge one looks up from the table and says: "Ivan Koloff!" My blood runs cold. When Judge #2 said the exact same thing, I was crushed! The fact that it ended up being a unanimous decision was just brutal! Ivan gets the belt back, and there was nothing I could do about it, even though he didn't beat me! The match got a "B+" rating from the fans. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I'm up against my friend Rowdy Roddy Piper tonight, hoping to get back the NWA World Heavyweight belt! But he was tough in that ring, kept flooring me with brutal cheating moves, and the only pinfall I could seem to hit was the legsweep snap pinfall attempt, which is essentially useless. So the match went on, and I kept not falling, hitting him whenever I could with whatever I could come up with. Nothing worked! Finally, after 61 gruelling minutes, he tried to hit me with the Thiez Press and I simply rolled, covering him and there was nothing he could do! I got the three count and the win! The match got a "B+" from the fans. [b][u]June 1986[/u] - Week 2[/b] [b][i]Monday[/i][/b]: Tonight's our big Greensboro War Memorial Coliseum show, and I have the night off. Apparently the card was already filled, not that I mind terribly. It's not like I don't get plenty of chances to earn my $28,000 monthly check. Dory Funk successfully defended the US Heavyweight Title (which he'd gotten from Koloff) against Roddy Piper. Mr. Wrestling defended (for the 7th time) the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title successfully. And overall it was a pretty solid night in other matches as well! [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Ric Flair wants my belt! I crushed him in 11:00 with the Spinning Death Valley Driver for the pin, getting a "C+" reaction from the fans. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: Tonight it's Rod & Vonner vs Team Chaos (Dusty Rhodes and Terry Funk) for the Mid-Atlantic US Tag Title! It only took 22:00 for me to wear them down enough to hit Funk with the Winged Splash of Death, which floored him! Me and Roddy Piper got the title away from them, something few have been able to do, and we got a solid "B" rating from the fans! But all's not well. Piper's pissed at me now, because he thinks I had some kind of vendetta against him, since I fought most of the fight without his help! I hadn't thought of it that way, I was just doing my best to win ... we're partners, right? I hope he doesn't turn this into a long-standing grudge ... [b][u]June 1986[/u] - Week 3[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: I was supposed to have the night off. I went back to my locker room to get my NWA World Heavyweight Belt before the show, so I could show it off to this pair of amazingly big-busted groupies who I was hoping would want to take a ride on the Vonner Express after the show ... but I get back there and the belt's gone! Next to it is a note: [INDENT][b][i]Vonner, You thought it was fine to make me look like a f---ing chump last weekend. Now it's time for you to put your ego on the line! Come fight me and prove you're not the useless overness-grubbing f--- that everyone says you are! Or are you afraid? By the way, I have your precious belt. What are you going to do about it, you bitch? Rod.[/i][/b][/INDENT] I'm a red ball of rage! What the f--- is wrong with him? I thought we were friends! I meant nothing by what happened on Saturday! Now what, I'm supposed to go out there and make an enemy out of him over some stupid little fight? But I can't let my suprematude in the fed go down the crapper over this -- guess I've got no choice. The fight's on! So an hour later, I'm in the ring against Rowdy Roddy, my two sexy chicas looking on from the front row cheering my name and booing Piper. It's a thirty minute timed match, and I'm not making the mistake of letting this go that long. He's going down, and quickly. But I was wrong. No matter what I did, Piper wouldn't tap out! I even brained him with a f---ing chair while the ref wasn't looking, tearing a large chunk of skin off the front of his forehead, and he wouldn't fall! So it went down to the judges, and I won the match two votes to one! But Piper wasn't having it. He took the belt, slammed me over the head with it repeatedly, and then left me on the mat with the belt cracked by my side. The last thing I heard as I fell out of consciousness was Piper talking to one of my "female friends" outside the ring: "So," he says (I hear the derision towards me in his voice). "Want to see what a real monster d--- looks like?" The two busty chicks leave with him and I'm out cold. What a great way to start the week ... but I kept the belt, and the match got a "B+" from the fans, so it's all good, right? RIGHT? Oh f--- it. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I had the night off, so I went to the event tonight and hid backstage, being careful not to be seen. In the opening match Koloff and Piper were fighting Angelo Mosca and Jerry Brisco. I waited until I saw Koloff and Piper had the upper hand, and then I ran up to the ring and threw Mosco a giant six inch pipe! He proceeded to beat the living hell out of Piper, who took four swift slams of the pipe to the back of the head and to the throat before collapsing in a giant pool of his own blood. The crowd cheered for me, they liked to see Piper get what he deserved ... I handed the ref a $100 bill and walked off before anyone could stop me. [b][u]June 1986[/u] - Week 4[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Me and Piper were supposed to fight Dory Funk Jr and Angelo Mosca tonight, for retention of the US Tag Title! But it didn't go well. Dory Funk attempted a snap mare takedown on Piper, hit it, and Piper TAPPED OUT! What a f---ing hack move! Funk and Mosca took the title, and I went out there and whaled on Piper until blood soaked through the bandages on his head and the ref forcibly removed me from the ring! What a goddamned prick! [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I was not booked tonight. [center][b]Record[/b]: 140-118 [img]http://jonathansanders.0catch.com/NWAWorldHvy.jpg[/img] [b]NWA World Heavyweight![/b] Successful Defenses: [b]2[/b] [b][u]Overness[/u][/b] [b]US[/b]: 99% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Spirit[/b]: 71% ([b]+2[/b]) [b]Power[/b]: 26% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Technique[/b]: 68% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Speed[/b]: 47% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Psychology[/b]: 94% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Stamina[/b]: 43% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Toughness[/b]: 73% ([b]+2[/b]) [b]Charisma[/b]: 36% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Microphone[/b]: 43% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Safety[/b]: 82% ([b]+2[/b]) [b]Looks[/b]: 74% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Respect[/b]: 54% ([b]+2[/b])[/center]

[i]I hope you guys are keeping up! I've posted a lot today ;)[/i] [b][u]July 1986[/u] - Week 1[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Tonight I'm up against Greg Valentine in a singles match for retention of my NWA World Heavyweight Title! But no worries, fans, he proved to be little trouble for me ... I smashed him with the Winged Splash of Death 20:00 in and he didn't get up! So I had my third successful defense, and got a "B+" from the fans in the process! [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: The Iron Sheik wants his shot at the NWA World Heavyweight belt. He put up no resistance, however, and I beat him with a weak pancake facebuster at 12:00, earning a "C+" for the overall match quality. [b][i]Sunday[/i][/b]: Tonight for the month's big show Great American Bash, I'm fighting Mr. Wrestling, who wants my NMA World Heavyweight belt to add to his "collection" of awards. Not happening, bitch! I tore him apart ... 24 minutes into the match the ref had to come in to medically DQ him after I slammed him with an Inverted Powerbomb! The match drew another "B+" rating from the fans! [b][u]July 1986[/u] - Week 2[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Oh, so now Terry Funk will work with me eh? When there's a belt on the line he'll put his hatred of me behind him. But I won't put my hatred of him behind ME! I did serious damage to his head and legs early, but he's good at spending a long time on the edge without falling over. However, an Enziguri Kick at the 29:00 mark knocked him flat and the ref medically DQ'd him at that point! Another successful defense, another "B+" crowd rating! [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I was not booked tonight. [b][u]July 1986[/u] - Week 3[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Funk was pissed about last week's medical DQ and has been making an ass-hole of himself by telling everyone who will listen that he could beat me in a rematch. I caught him before the show. "So, I hear they're giving you another shot at my title!" I sneer. He looks at me out of the corner of his eye. "Yeah," he spits. "You want to give up now?" "Ha!" I say. "I'm going to whip your ass you know. You're nothing but a hack!" He jumps up. "You know, I was going to go easy on you, to take it easy against you, but now I think I'm just gonna have fun kicking your ass!" "Back off, bitch!" I yell. "You know I'd destroy you in a fight!" He lunges at me, but Bobby Heenan grabs me and shoves me into my locker room. "What are you, stupid or crazy?" he yells, slamming me against the wall. "You've already made an enemy out of him, do you need to get your ass kicked in the back when you could be beating him in the ring? HAVE SOME SENSE!" He storms off, leaving me to cool off. Later, in the ring, I gained the upper hand quickly and it only took me 15:00 to get him into submission using the Weaver Lock! The poor dumb bastard ... I took special care to stand there a few extra minutes to laugh in his face as he struggled even to get back on his feet, the loser. He thought he could fight me. The match got a "B-" overall. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: This is turning into a classic feud outside a feud! Terry Funk won't take his losses and admit he's just a loser, so he wants ANOTHER go at me! I should start charging him for wasting my time! I beat the hell out of him, but he'd obviously bought off the ref! He refused to tap out, and he kept hitting me with cheating moves all OVER the place! Finally, I got sick of it and hit him with the Field Goal Low Blow ... and the goddamned ref DQ'd me! 36:00 in, and I got DQ'd -- and the irony was, the Field Goal Low Blow left him unable to fight, so at the same time as I got DQ'd, HE got DQ'd! The match got an "A" from the fans, and in a strange twist, they decided that I won the fight! That's some weird, wild stuff! So I didn't lose the belt, though I also didn't get anything for defending it. [b][u]July 1986[/u] - Week 4[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Oh man, now Dusty Rhodes, the head booker, wants my belt! He booked us tonight to meet (I don't think we've met in the ring outside of tag matches) and the NWA World Heavyweight belt is on the line. The fight itself was brutal, but I managed to get him with the pancake facebuster and nearly had him pinned, when Roddy Piper burst in and broke the fall, kicking me in the face for good measure before running off cackling! Then about ten minutes later, I hit him with the Inverted Atomic Drop, but then slipped on a bloody spot in the ring and fell backwards. He hit me with a Double Arm DDT, and I was down ... 1 ... 2 ... Bobby Heenan comes in, knocks the ref backwards, and helps me up, running off quickly! Finally, with 32 minutes having passed, I managed to get him in the Weaver Lock, and Rhodes submitted! The match got my second "A" rating in a row! Weaver caught me abuot half an hour later as I was heading to my car, and insisted on shaking my hand. "You put on a great match, kid," he tells me. "You've proven that I was right when I told Jim Crockett to snap you up! Would you believe he didn't think you were main event material?" I stand there stunned. "I don't know what to say, Mr. Rhodes!" "Just keep putting on great matches kid," he says grinning. "You're going to be a legend!" [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I was not booked tonight. [center][b]Record[/b]: 147-118 [img]http://jonathansanders.0catch.com/NWAWorldHvy.jpg[/img] [b]NWA World Heavyweight![/b] Successful Defenses: [b]8[/b] [b][u]Overness[/u][/b] [b]US[/b]: 100% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Spirit[/b]: 72% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Power[/b]: 26% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Technique[/b]: 68% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Speed[/b]: 49% ([b]+2[/b]) [b]Psychology[/b]: 94% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Stamina[/b]: 44% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Toughness[/b]: 75% ([b]+2[/b]) [b]Charisma[/b]: 37% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Microphone[/b]: 43% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Safety[/b]: 85% ([b]+3[/b]) [b]Looks[/b]: 74% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Respect[/b]: 57% ([b]+3[/b])[/center]

[u][b]August 1986[/u] - Week 1[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: I wasn't booked tonight, but I was hanging around backstage when Terry Funk came up and hit me in the back of my head, hard, with something I couldn't quite see. I followed him down the hall. "What the f--- was that for?" I yell. "What was what for?" He sneers. "You know what I'm talking about!" I say, grabbing him by his shoulder and slamming him against the wall. "Face it, you s---! I'm too good for you, you're too old, why don't you retire and save your family some eventual shame?" I let go, and he slides down the wall like I gutpunched him. I storm off in the other direction to watch the fights. Other than that crap it WAS a pretty good show ... though no single match was spectacular, the whole card came together, and I was glad I actually got to sit and watch. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: Tonight my feud with Roddy Piper comes to a head! I have a 1-0 lead, but he's after me for the NWA Heavyweight Title, so I can't relax or I'll risk losing it ... but things didn't exactly go as planned! It's been a while since I've been in the ring with Piper, and he's obviously been preparing to face me! He took advantage of luck early and slammed me around the ring, and I barely made a dent when it came to his energy, no matter what I tried! But the tide started to turn. At 20:00 I knocked the ref out while swinging Piper into the corner! I hit him with a couple of risky moves, but then the ref got back up and Piper got down to business. But I got him into submission at the 24:00 mark with a Goodnight Irene Sleeper Hold, winning the match and the feud! The match got a "B+" rating, and as the crowd cheered enthusiastically, I helped Roddy up. "Hey man," I say quietly, out of earshot of the crowd. "Can we call this a truce? I never meant to steal your thunder when we tagged together. I was doing what I could to win, and I forgot that it's supposed to be a TEAM." I hold my hand out, and for a moment I think he's going to ignore me. But he finally reaches out and shakes my hand. The crowd erupts, as the two of us walk out of the ring. I turn to him and grin. "You know," I say slyly. "The guy who deserves to see our wrath is that Terry Funk f---." "Yeah," Rod laughs. "I've been watching you kick his ass all over this place!" Finally, at least something's back to normal! [b][u]August 1986[/u] - Week 2[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Tonight I'm being rewarded with a shot against Mr. Wrestling for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight belt! He's successfully defended this belt a dozen times, holding it since April, and I say it's time for the reign to end! I got him in the Weaver Lock after 18:00 of total smackdown action, and he crumbled! So I now hold two of the biggest belts in the world of wrestling. The fans gave this one a "B-" ... I don't think they were terribly happy to see Mr. Wrestling lose. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: Tonight Roddy Piper challenged me to a friendly little bout (hoping I might be ready to surrender a belt to him). He chose to challenge for the NWA World Heavyweight, but if he wants it he'd better come for it! I won't give up a belt without a fight, even to a friend. If he didn't understand that fact before the fight, he did after I hit him with the Winged Splash of Death 10 minutes in and he fell like a ton of bricks. The match got a "C" rating. [b][u]August 1986[/u] - Week 3[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Ivan Koloff challenged me tonight for the NWA World Heavyweight belt, which seems to be the popular one these days! I ended up going for the medical DQ in this one, hammering Koloff with slam after slam until the ref said he couldn't put up a defense 20 minutes in! The fans gave it a "B+" rating overall. [i][b]Saturday[/b][/i]: Tonight I'm fighting Ian Koloff in the main event ... he wants a rematch! Only this time he's after the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Belt. This was a pretty evenly matched fight, though I pulled it out with a pancake facebuster at 18:00 to win this "B-" match and retain my belt.

I've bean on Holiday and didn't have alot of time to read this before that so I had a lot of catching up to do. I rated this one 5 btw. I'm glad you left Mexico - I found it slighly boring there. Great job on all those title wins. And please, please don't give this up - even if you are %100 over and everything.

I'll keep going :) But I'm making it harder for myself. I'm keeping the Winged Splash of Death because I love it, but I'm retiring Dave's Chimney Sweep and the Flying Vonner Slam, as well as any moves with "cheating" involved (since I'm now a popular Face in the fed). This should make it a lot harder for me to "physically slaughter" my opponents, and should make for good LONGER matches and fewer medical DQ's.

Good idea on playing it blue eyed. I've found that playing a true Good Guy is much more difficult than one might think; no tossing the guy outside, returning to the ring at first chance - in the event you are outside, quick breaks in the corner, etc. I've really been enjoying this diary a lot, of late. Thanks for it!

[u][b]August 1986[/u] - Week 4[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Tonight I'm being challenged by the Iron Sheik for the NWA World Heavyweight belt! And it turned into an Endurathon in which both of us were worn to the bone before a winner could be determined! I finally hit the Winged Splash of Death with 34:00 expired, but Ric Flair ran in and broke my pinfall -- how infuriating! Two minutes later it was all over ... The Iron Sheik got me with the Crossfade, I submitted, and had my first loss in a long time. I also lost the World Heavyweight belt after an unprescedented ELEVEN successful defenses (previous records: 10 for Ricky Steamboat -- September through November 1985; 10 for Terry Funk -- November 1985 through February 1986). The match, by the way, got a "B" rating. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I didn't get a match tonight. But I did see Ric Flair backstage. I decided to take the calm route, and went up to him before the show to find out why he'd messed up my match on Wednesday. He just rolled his eyes at me. "Face it, kid, you're getting too big for your own good," he tells me. "Consider it my job to teach you your place around here when it comes to MACW Main Eventers." "Oh and what's my place?" I say, becoming angry. "Well, for starters why don't you learn to take a f---ing loss like a man?" he sneers. "I swear, you lose a title you defended for months, in a GOOD match, and you act like it's the end of the world!" "It's that I could have won if you didn't cheat!" I say roughly, getting in his face. He slaps me away. "Personal space, you f---! Treat me with some respect, I'm a legend and you're nothing but a newb who's out of his place!" He punches me in the shoulder as a signal to leave. I decide I'd rather fight it out in the ring later rather than make another permanent enemy, so I take the hint. But he's going down! I may be just 19 years old, but I'm no newb. I'm a superstar, and I don't deserve to be treated like an enhancement talent by this prick! [b][i]Sunday[/i][/b]: I was not booked tonight on "August Clash of the Champions" so I didn't even bother going to the show. I figured Flair would probably want to pick a fight with me, and frankly I'm not in the f---ing mood. [center][b]Record[/b]: 152-119 [img]http://jonathansanders.0catch.com/MAHeavyweight.jpg[/img] [b]Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight![/b] Successful Defenses: [b]1[/b] [b][u]Overness[/u][/b] [b]US[/b]: 99% ([b]-1[/b]) [b]Spirit[/b]: 71% ([b]-1[/b]) [b]Power[/b]: 27% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Technique[/b]: 68% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Speed[/b]: 49% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Psychology[/b]: 94% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Stamina[/b]: 45% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Toughness[/b]: 77% ([b]+2[/b]) [b]Charisma[/b]: 38% ([b]+1[/b]) [b]Microphone[/b]: 43% ([b]PEAKED[/b]) [b]Safety[/b]: 87% ([b]+2[/b]) [b]Looks[/b]: 74% ([b]EVEN[/b]) [b]Respect[/b]: 59% ([b]+2[/b])[/center]

[b][u]September 1986[/u] - Week 1[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: I was not booked tonight. [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: Tonight I'm facing Dory Funk Jr, who wants to take the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight belt from me. This ended up being another marathon fight, but somehow I caught Dory unaware with a Northern Lights Suplex after 32 minutes of brutal combat on both sides! He went down after that move, though, and I retain the belt! The match got a "B-" overall rating. [b][u]September 1986[/u] - Week 2[/b] [b][i]Wednesday[/i][/b]: Tonight the Great Kabuki challenged me for my belt. But before the match, I had to deal with Ric Flair, who caught me unaware and put me through a table! The damage isn't horrible, but it did put me at a serious disadvantage heading into this 30 minute time limit match. If I want to win, I'll have to beat him early or do serious damage to him ... otherwise I'll be sunk. He was aggressive early, trying to get me into submission moves as early as five minutes in! So I had to come at him just as hard, which was difficult in my weakened state. I did have some luck as the match progressed, hitting several new moves (including a perfect Slingshot Backbreaker and a Forward Rolling Cradle!) but I really started to roll late in the match as I hit the Sode Goshi Throw, one move that's always given me trouble! A perfectly timed Samoan Bulldog put him in the danger zone, but I f---ed up my Winged Splash of Death. But I rolled out of his pinfall attempt, then countered a heart kick attempt with my Spinning Death Valley Driver, followed by a Pancake Facebuster, followed by a Spinning Explosion Suplex, followed by an Inverted Atomic Drop and for good measure the Brody Big Boot to the face! But he kept getting up! He got me in the Judo Choke Sleeper, and the crowd thought I was done, but I slipped out somehow broke the Under Chin Nerve Lock, and hit the Draped Second Rope Butt Drop! I followed that with the Roughneck Combo, hit the Inverted Atomic Drop, and then slammed him with the Axe Bomber! HE WON'T TAP OUT! At 27:00 he clamps on the Iron Claw, but I slide out again! I block the Under Chin Nerve Lock, and his blood loss sets him to reeling, at which point I hit the Pancake Facebuster AGAIN ... but he slips out of my pinfall attempt AGAIN! I hit the Draped Second Rope Butt Drop, follow it with a big stomp, go for the Legsweep Snap Pinfall, and ... F---! The ref called the match due to the time limit! [b]Judge 1[/b]: DAVE VONNER! [b]Judge 2[/b]: DAVE VONNER! [b]Judge 3[/b]: DAVE VONNER! I win by unanimous decision, and retain my belt once again! The crowd loved it and gave us a "B" for a solid fight! [b][i]Saturday[/i][/b]: I didn't have a match tonight, which gave me time to exact some revenge on Ric Flair! I couldn't do this myself, it would have damaged my reputation. But I did slip my buddy Rod Piper $100 to wait outside Flair's dressing room. As Flair walked back toward his dressing room after beating Ivan Koloff (retaining his title for a sixth time) Piper caught him by surprise and beat the living s--- out of him with a four-inch segment of lead pipe! There was blood everywhere, they had to call in paramedics and everything. That should teach him to f--- with me before a big match. I have brutal friends, and now he knows it.

• 6 months later...

Archived