PWR - Indy Wrestling After The Fall

The Fall, as they are now calling it, took us all by surprise. This is what went down. In their October 2001 edition, The Wrestling Observer printed this. [QUOTE]...March 2001... At the height of their popularity, with their former enemy WCW vanquished and purchased, the WWF is riding high. It is undoubtably the most powerful promotion in the history of professional wrestling. But questions are being asked about the WCW sale. The U.S Securities and Exchange Commission begins a month-long investigation. ...April 2001... The wrestling world is in shock. The World Wrestling Federation is hit with a three-hundred million dollar fine, after it was revealed that Vince McMahon and AOL-Time Warner executive Jamie Kellner colluded to intentionally lower the purchase price of WCW. Stockholders and investors deserted the WWF, leaving the McMahon family with a humbled empire almost overnight. Disgraced, distraught and heartbroken, with a roster of wrestlers angry at the McMahon's mismanagement, the WWF was effectively shut down. Live events were cancelled, and television contracts were torn up. The McMahons go into isolation. In the months that follow, promotions across the United States shut down left, right and centre. Without the support of the WWF, OVW, HWA and MCW close shop. After the loss of millions of casual fans, promotions such as JAPW, APW and UPW can't support themselves. Even promotions with a more hardcore following, such as XPW and CZW close down. Some owners say they'll be back when the industry bounces back. Others leave for good. It is now October 2001. The effects of The Fall are still ongoing, but there is cause for optimism. The National Wrestling Alliance, once facing extinction, has re-amalgamated under the leadership of Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes. WWF loyalists Steve Austin, The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels join the returned Shane McMahon to form Fusion Pro Wrestling. And on the west coast, Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan use their connections to form the American Wrestling Federation. This new 'Big Three' is joined by independent federations across the country, and two exciting new touring promotions. In Canada, a rejuvenated Stampede takes the country by storm. The wrestling industry has definitely bounced back from its perilous lows, but for how long? [/QUOTE] Before the fall, I was a lowly assistant to Jim Kettner at ECWA. I got on well with Mr. Kettner and he seemed to like me. But I had no idea how much he did. After the Fall, ECWA was somehow left standing. It went through all the lows and highs of wrestling since The Sixties, and this wasn't gonna take them down. But as we surveyed the wrestling landscape, we were the only ones left standing. All the independent competition we had dealt with for so many years, gone. This was our time. I was going over the future with Jim, when Jerry Lynn, Terry Taylor, and Mike Tenay walked through the door. They said they wanted to bring in all the independent talent that was now floating around unemployed. To form a Revolution in the new world of wrestling. Jim thought about it, and said "Oh hell yeah." So there we were, little indy competition left, with all the opportunity in the world. And who does Jim Kettner put in charge? Not Jerry, not The Professor, not Terry Taylor. Me. He appointed ME the head booker of the fastest rising promotion in America. And I could not believe it. Now, we brought in a hell of a roster, if I do say so myself. It's constantly in flux as new talent agrees to contracts with us, and new workers enter the market. But three big stars in the industry joined us, and they still are here. Rey Mysterio Jr., Rob Van Dam, and Mick Foley. That was five months and a few weeks ago. A lot has happened, and here's a quick rundown on what's going on in the world of Pro Wrestling Revolution. [QUOTE]PWR Universal Champion: Nova Defeated Rey Mysterio Jr for the belt, after Rey held it for the first three months of the promotions history. Nova took it off him in a fatal-four way match between the four biggest stars here in PWR, Rob Van Dam, Rey Mysterio Jr, Jerry Lynn, and himself. Best match in history here at PWR with a B+ rating. PWR Universal Television Champion: Tony Marmaluke This is a new belt since the fall. It's had three champions in the last five months. Christopher Daniels won a ten-man battle royal to become the inaugural champion. He then re-signed for too much cash to make regular defenses, and dropped the belt to Doug Williams. Doug held it for two months, and was defeated by the current champ, Tony Marmaluke. PWR Universal Tag Team Champs: The Backseat Boyz (Trent Acid and Johnny Kashmere) The only two champions this belt's ever known in its current form. They've made fourteen defenses thus far, and want to keep it as long as humanly possible. However, a new team, the Briscoe Brothers, have just appeared on the scene. They vowed to take the belt from The Backseat Boyz, and told them to "Man Up." PWR Super 8 Tournament: Hasn't happened yet... [/QUOTE] In Febuary 2002, PWR is growing by leaps and bounds. Several requests for television and PPV contracts, and we'll see how that goes. They currently hold two shows a week, Pro Wrestling Revolution, a one-hour show in the Mid-Atlantic Region, and PWR Proving Grounds, a half-hour show that tours around the country, spreading the gospel of PWR. By the way, you might want to get ready for a Revolution in Pro Wrestling. A place for all of the top indy talent in this reborn world to showcase their abilities on a national stage. Pro Wrestling Revolution.

Archived