At-Large Bowl Selections??? Arlie or Cooley

Hey guys Im writing to see if there is any method behind the at-large (open) bowl selections. I am using older style bowl tie-ins (no gds, set to 0) So the bowls select exactly which teams are put in the table. But when I set it to an open selection (at-large) the selections seem extremely random. I notice that it is weekly based (W21 gets better teams than W20) But from there is doesnt make much sense. What I am asking is, is there any method to the selections of atlarge teams? Thanks Tc

I'm not sure why I was named, but I'm honored. The at large bids should go to the best teams that don't qualify for your other bowls. You can set the week you want a bowl played in by edited that table in the dat file. I assume you are editing it by your post, so change the weeks to whatever you like.

You where named because you have hacked around in pstats as much as anyone else. I am using the old school tie ins. Cotton (SWC Champ vs At-Large) Sugar (SEC Champ vs At-Large) Orange (Big 8 Champ vs At-Large) Fiesta (At-Large vs At-Large) Rose (Big 10 vs Pac 10) ACC open Big East Open I have had years where #1 LSU plays in the Sugar Bowl and #2 Florida State played in the Cotton Bowl against #8 Texas. But Ive had #1 Miami vs #2 Notre Dame in the Fiesta. So I was wonder anyone knows the method for at-large selections? Thanks Tc

Yeah see the Fiesta At-Large setup placed the two best teams against each other. While the Sugar Bowl had the same opportunity to make a best match-up #1 LSU and #2 Florida State, but instead it it placed #2 against Texas.

Ok, after some more testing I have noticed a couple things about how the At-Large selections are made. The bowls with the better pay outs get the better matchups. Which week the bowl is played doesnt really matter. Also prestige plays a huge factor in the At-Large selection process. In my testing #3 North Carolina (11-0, 55 prestige) continually got left out of the the Big 4 (Cotton, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta Bowl) and picked up by the CapOne bowl to play against #17 Washington State. All At-Large Selections in the Big 4 had at least 65 prestige. So the big factors in At-Large selections appear to be bowl payouts and prestige.

Archived