Just a Thought about Match results

Hey Adam, I was thinking about this game and it sounds really promising. The only area that I feel doesn't quite capture the wrestling world is that the matches aren't pre-determined. I'm sure that you're too far along in beta testing to change it now, but maybe for the next version you could have it that the head booker informs you who is supposed to win the matches you're in...and then it's up to you to put on a good match and take whatever spots, bumps, etc. the booker tells you to. This would really play in well with the backstage politics and give the game that "Sports Entertainment" feel. This way, how much you sell (or no-sell) someone's offense (especially when you are first coming up...unless you're getting a Brock push) will play into how likley the head booker is to advance your position in the company. Are you a team-player or the next big thing? Just some thoughts, good luck with the new venture. Steve AKA Trackersan

It's an interesting idea, and one we discussed at length when designing the game, but in the end it just fell a little flat. The bottom line is that i like games where the player has freedome to really express himself - whether that's TEW and you signing unknown workers and building them up, or FiSpi and choosing to wrestle a high risk offense - and that wouldn't really be possible if the booker is giving you ultimatums like "lose in 5 minutes, make the opponent look good". It'd especially suck if you never got pushed - imagine if you got booked as a jobber for 5 years straight? Not a fun game that way!

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland]It's an interesting idea, and one we discussed at length when designing the game, but in the end it just fell a little flat. The bottom line is that i like games where the player has freedome to really express himself - whether that's TEW and you signing unknown workers and building them up, or FiSpi and choosing to wrestle a high risk offense - and that wouldn't really be possible if the booker is giving you ultimatums like "lose in 5 minutes, make the opponent look good". It'd especially suck if you never got pushed - imagine if you got booked as a jobber for 5 years straight? Not a fun game that way![/QUOTE] Good point... to a certain point. Now if you were being booked to lose for that long, just like in real life, I would expect that person to go to another federation. Probably a much smaller one, but all the same. If you wrestled long enough, even if you never win, you bound to get somewhat over. So your bound to be pushed somewhere right? I meen, it would make the game even more realistic. You would have to find a way to prove yourself worthy of a push. Either by gaining strength (if you work for a big hoss fan) or put on awesome performances (like Benoit or Guerrero have done) inorder to impress the boss... But thats just my opinion.

I personally think pre-determined matches wouldn't be a good idea. I mean there would be no tension involved, no fun in trying to get to your finisher to know hes going to reverse it with his and pin. Wouldnt play as well IMO. Dean

[QUOTE='[Dean]']I personally think pre-determined matches wouldn't be a good idea. I mean there would be no tension involved, no fun in trying to get to your finisher to know hes going to reverse it with his and pin. Wouldnt play as well IMO. Dean[/QUOTE] The point I think he's trying to get across though, is that this stuff happens in real life.. so it'd make the game more realistic. Now, I didn't say it would make the game more fun :rolleyes: LOL Really though, I don't think it's needed. The way the game is designed, is good enough for me.. and I think it will be for you all too. You'll find that you can't just hit a move and win a match - it's alot harder.. trust me :P That may be the only part of the game that isn't realistic - once you check out everything else it has to offer - you'll completely forget about that.

If matches were pre-detirmind, their'd be no competitiveness in the game. Frankly, I think actually having to face a CPU controlled wrestler is the only real option, hence why that's what is going to happen in the game. If you know the out come before the match even starts, theres bound to be someone out their who will be upset about having to lose and put someone else over.

If the matches where pre determined, their would'nt be the same buzz of getting the upper hand or working over the body part to apply the finishing move. Because whats the point? you can work something over but if you know you have to lose, where's the point? in some peoples minds anyway. Fighting in a more Street Fighter esque ''energy bar-ish'' style is the only way to go in my opinion.

I agree with all of you guys to a point. However, I would love to be able to have a choice, or, at the very least, have people ask you to lay down. It does add its own unique feel, and I can get what your all getting at, and they are all really good points. I cause I am just a stickiler for realism. I just hope there is alot more interaction with other wrestlers. Sorta like press confrences from old EW stuff and the question screen from TEW. That would certainly make my day heh.

Archived