Facing the "final boss" for the first time...

Unlike many video games, there is no real "final boss" in this game, nor is there any set goal but what you set for yourself. Nevertheless, I got that "ohmigod, I'm facing the final boss" thrill when my character, "Blue Inferno" Steve Grant, got an out-of-the-blue match with Tommy Cornell. At the time I was feuding with Charlie Thatcher, and in fact as we speak I'm wrestling what I hope will be the blowoff match to that feud. I signed with TCW in January of 2007 as an enhancement talent, and after a rough introduction to the major leagues, finally started winning on a consistent basis. And since then I've been building myself up the card. At the time of my match with Cornell, I had an overness rating of 71 U.S., and was a Lower Midcarder. So the owner of Total Championship Wrestling must have been very impressed with me to give me a match with him so relatively early into my career. I yelped with shock when I saw who I was booked again, and gulped when I realized it would take place in a steel cage match, escape only. (I think players could benefit from knowing that information ahead of time, by the way-- just a thought for a future update.) I realized I was probably gonna get my butt kicked, but if I'm gonna lose I'm going down fighting. So I took the fight right to Cornell with my well-rounded moveset. Justice Jams, DDTs, legdrops and dragon-screw legwhips were mine to command, and I took the early advantage on Cornell. While I was doing so, the main theme from Halo 2 (as played by The Blindfolded Pianist) was playing, so the "final boss" feeling was intensified by the music. My advantage was eventually broken up, and Cornell started going to town on me, but when he made a mistake I was able to capitalize-- for a time. Got him all the way down to "Low" status, which I hadn't dreamed of being able to do. Don't get me wrong, I've got faith in my guy and in my own mad skillz in the game, but this is a five-time former TCW World Heavyweight Champion we're talking about-- the absolute best in the business. Eventually, though, he regained the advantage, hit his finisher, and despite my using spirit points, was able to climb over the top and out of the cage. But wow, what a feeling! The very next match was a handicap match pitting Grant and Rick Law against Charlie Thatcher, BLZ Bubb and Tommy Cornell, which was about nine different kinds of unfair, but I think we acquitted ourselves well. Grant's overness rating went up as a result of those matches, but I hate to lose. But it's a great challenge. So now it's time to nail that punk Thatcher and move on to bigger and better things!

Wow, after winning my feud with Thatcher (which was harder than I thought it'd be-- I ended up winning 4-2), I'm getting popular. I'm still "only" at overness 73, but now I'm in an eight-man tag-team match with some BIG names. Steve Grant, Wolf Hawkins (my regular tag partner), Rick Law and Liberty (a four-time former TCW World Champion!) vs. Larry Vessey, Genghis Rahn, Grunt and the defending World Champion, Rip Chord. Wow, this is getting exciting, sports fans! Maybe this means my regular diet of Paul Steadyfast and BJ Shearer is over, we'll see.

Archived