Well I am in my sixth season at UAB and I have not landed a five star recruit yet but I have had decent classes.

In my third year (might be my best) I landed 12 recruits... of these, 2 were four stars, 8 were three stars, and two were two stars.... This same year I landed three transfers... two of these four stars, and the other three stars.

This said, all in all I have competed well in Conf USA, winning it my fifth year (when the above mentioned class were Jr/RS So).

Oddly enough, my class last year consisted on 10 recruits (all being three stars) after winning the conference. My guess is that Ala / Aub / UGA all had great years making my region recruiting that much tougher.

Lol

Never recruit when tired or distracted. :)

You have to look at the schools being considered and to what degree they are being considered, analyze your recruiting opponents rosters, look where the player is from, and consider your current depth chart in terms of talent, # of players and class breakdown.

Doing all of the above will give you a good idea as to what is "Very" important to a player.

Another key is to get on a player early. If I am reasonably confident in what is important to a recruit I pitch it in the first week of recruiting, max recruit him, offer and accept a visit from said recruit asap.

I have 3 straight #1 ranked recruiting classes and am almost always top 10. But it's hard work and fairly time consuming. I spend an evening taking notes and developing a watch list before I begin recruiting the next evening.

Speaking of recruiting...I have a recruiting class to work on this evening. :)

Does anyone think it hurts you if a player officially visits without having a pitch set? In week one I scout every player I've offered so I never put a pitch.. would that hurt me on the first 5 guys that visit

I can't say that it would hurt at all because I do it a lot. Course you have to get your pitch in as fast as you can, but if I don't have a clue about a player I usually wait until the next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not an expert, but in my MSU Dynasty (Started at Mississippi State and then got hired by Michigan State after 4 years), after 25 years I have about 15% 5 Star and 40% 4 Star recruits. I am sure there are lots of folks with better recruiting ideas, but I select the best 4 and 5 Stars that are passing (2.0), and have a 7 or better interest. I only go to a 3 Star recruit at a position when I can't get one of the above to sign. I always use "Chance to Win". Usually TE and FB are the toughest for me to recruit.

Steve

Has anyone had difficulty recruiting? I am still getting the hang of this game in general, but I am really struggling with recruiting. I almost never land the recruits that are interested in my program, even when I have selected the pitch that is very important...

I am not an expert, but in my MSU Dynasty (Started at Mississippi State and then got hired by Michigan State after 4 years), after 25 years I have about 15% 5 Star and 40% 4 Star recruits. I am sure there are lots of folks with better recruiting ideas, but I select the best 4 and 5 Stars that are passing (2.0), and have a 7 or better interest. I only go to a 3 Star recruit at a position when I can't get one of the above to sign. I always use "Chance to Win". Usually TE and FB are the toughest for me to recruit.

Steve

Actually, it's a 2.2 GPA or a qualifying exam score

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I can't get any four or five star players to even consider my program. I get two and three stars the transfer route but at best are two stars that are "interested" in my program with a 7 or higher rating in "interest".

It's all about your prestige rating. I landed my first ever 4 star recruit at Tulane this past year in GG with a 48 prestige, and he was my email guy. When you're working in the 30's, 2 stars will really be the best you can get; in the low to mid 40's, 3's, once you hit 50's you start getting the shots at some of the better players available.

The nice thing is that the teams you're playing on a regular basis will be recruiting players in the same range as you are.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It's all about your prestige rating. I landed my first ever 4 star recruit at Tulane this past year in GG with a 48 prestige, and he was my email guy. When you're working in the 30's, 2 stars will really be the best you can get; in the low to mid 40's, 3's, once you hit 50's you start getting the shots at some of the better players available.

The nice thing is that the teams you're playing on a regular basis will be recruiting players in the same range as you are.

Basically, like others have said, it is not just the players with 4-5 ratings to get or to come to you, you have to work your way up !!!!

I think Arlie Rahn made a list about the skill ratings, so you have to make USE of the skills to get your college team moving. Once you get moving, the players would take NOTE of YOUR STYLE of PLAYING.

Prestige doesn't always come hand in hand with the style of playing.

I am not perfect and still haven't won the National Championship, let alone win a Division or Conference.

The game is all about PROGRESS.

Work with what you have got and use the best of the player's abilities and your TACTICS on the field.

Sometimes you have to learn to play rough. I mean, in my country, Man Utd is the biggest team and wins a lot but it doesn't mean they win all the time, sometimes they can be on the bad end of the game, they use the youngsters to mix well with the established players and they get the rub of the knowledge in game. Sometimes when Man Utd are struggling to win a 1-0 game and the players can be playing crap but they have to work their socks off and use hard graft to grind out a good result and that is playing with their weakest point of their abilities to the best of your tactic.

If you make GOOD USE of your preferred tactics, the players would adapt to it so the new players that you wanted would come. I am sure there is a word called ADAPTING or something similar.

When I am playing my game, I don't give a toss about prestige, I make a point of using tactics from the playbook. I haven't played it for a while so I have forgotten now about the pitching but I do remember that I never bother with Prestige and/or Pitching.

I just grab ones what I think is best whether the players is crap or not and has some potential.