NJPW: King of Sports

[b][color=yellow]Major New Japan news conference[/color][/b] by [b][color=red]DEAN[/color][/b] - [i]10 Dec 07[/i] [center][img]http://puroresufan.com/images/nakamura103007.jpg[/img][/center] In the first of many breaking news items, Shinsuke Nakamura, who was injured in the semi-finals of the 2007 G1 Climax, will be returning to New Japan on 1/4/08 at the Tokyo Dome. He has also asked TNA to send him a challenger, and they have said that they have one set for Nakamura. TNA has announced that they will release who they are sending to NJPW and what matches they will be participating in on 1/4 in a news release tomorrow, including a challenger to Hiroshi Tanahashi. All matches have been confirmed by both promotions, and the bulk of them will be announced tomorrow. In other news, two more wrestlers have announced that they are returning to NJPW in January. While they will not return on the 1/4 event, both GBH leader Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Legend's Shiro Koshinaka will return to action on the first tour of January '08. This is huge news for both stables, and the overall scene in New Japan. In addition, the card for the Junji Hirata retirement show has been announced. This entire show has been booked by Hirata himself, and it features some unique matches. Most interesting of them all is the fact that Hirata booked himself into an IWGP Heavyweight Title match. Hirata said that the IWGP Heavywight Title is one belt he always wanted to win but never was able to, and that this is his last chance at this opportunity. Hiroshi Tanahashi, out of respect for the veteran, has accepted the match. In addition, Hirata has booked fellow Legend members Riki Chosu and Masahiro Chono in very unique singles matches. Chosu will be taking on GBH's Togi Makabe, while Masahiro Chono will take on Hirooki Goto. Goto, who defeated Hirata in a single match on 12/9, impressed Hirata so much that he decided he would book Goto against a fellow Legend member in probably the biggest test of his young career. Both of these one-on-one encounters are sure to be instant classics. [b]NJPW "FAREWELL TO STRONG MACHINE", 12/23/07 (PPV) Tokyo Korakuen Hall[/b] 1. [b]Elimination 8-Man Tag[/b]: Koji Kanemoto, Takashi Iizuka, Wataru Inoue, & Tetsuya Naito vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Manabu Nakanishi, Minoru, & Yujiro 2. [b]New Japan vs. BLACK[/b]: Tiger Mask vs. Milano Collection AT 3. [b]Legend vs. GBH ~ BEST OF THE JR. TAGS[/b]: Jushin Thunder Liger & AKIRA vs. Jado & Gedo 4. [b]Legend vs. GBH[/b]: Riki Chosu vs. Togi Makabe 5. [b]Legend vs. BLACK[/b]: Masahiro Chono vs. Hirooki Goto 6. [b]Junji Hirata Retirement Match ~ IWGP Heavyweight Title[/b]: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Super Strong Machine

[b][color=yellow]TNA/NJPW announce Tokyo Dome card[/color][/b] by [b][color=red]DEAN[/color][/b] - [i]11 Dec 07[/i] [center][img]http://puroresufan.com/images/tanahashi111207.jpg[/img][/center] In news of gigantic proportion, TNA and NJPW officials held a press conference today and announced the entire card for the 1/4/08 "WRESTLE KINGDOM II IN TOKYO DOME" event. The card features 9 massive matches, with multiple NJPW vs. TNA matches...including 2 title matches you will not believe. In the first of the two, Hiroshi Tanahashi will have his wish granted, and he will defend his IWGP Heavyweight Title against a TNA wrestler. That TNA wrestler is none other than Sting! Sting will make his return to NJPW after multiple classics in the 1990's. Tanahashi said he is more than honored to take on a challenger that has that much of a reputation in America. Next, BLACK's Shinsuke Nakamura will make his return to NJPW in a match pitting him against arguably TNA's best wrestler, Kurt Angle! Furthermore, Yuji Nagata will take on one of TNA's hardest hitters, Samoa Joe! If that isn't enough, Jushin Thunder Liger will make his V1 defense of his newly won IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title against one of the world's best Jr.'s, "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles! Matches of these caliber are beyond what most fans expected, and this card is sure to be on for the ages! [b]NJPW "WRESTLE KINGDOM II IN TOKYO DOME", 1/4/08 (WPW/PPV) Tokyo Dome[/b] 1. [b]New Japan vs. BLACK[/b]: Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask vs. Hirooki Goto & Prince Devitt 2. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ BATTLE OF POWER[/b]: Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko vs. Rhino [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] & Abyss [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] 3. [b]GBH vs. Legend[/b]: Togi Makabe & Toru Yano vs. Masahiro Chono & Riki Chosu 4. [b]6-MAN ELIMINATION ~ Jr. or X[/b]: Koji Kanemoto, Wataru Inoue, & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Christopher Daniels [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img], Jay Lethal [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img], & Sonjay Dutt [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] 5. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK ATTACKS THE MOTOR CITY[/b]: Minoru & Milano Collection AT vs. Alex Shelley [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] & Chris Sabin [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] 6. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ NAGATA LOCK or CHOKE[/b]: Yuji Nagata vs. Samoa Joe [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] 7. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK or RED, WHITE, & BLUE[/b]: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kurt Angle [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] 8. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~ PHENOMENAL THUNDER[/b]: Jushin Thunder Liger (c) vs. AJ Styles [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img] 9. [b] NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Heavyweight Title ~ DRAGON ROAD CROSSES TNA[/b]: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Sting [img]http://puroresufan.com/images/logo/tnas.jpg[/img]

1. New Japan vs. BLACK: Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask vs. [b]Hirooki Goto & Prince Devitt[/b] 2. NJPW vs. TNA ~ BATTLE OF POWER: [b]Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko[/b] vs. Rhino & Abyss 3. GBH vs. Legend: Togi Makabe & Toru Yano vs. [b]Masahiro Chono & Riki Chosu[/b] 4. 6-MAN ELIMINATION ~ Jr. or X: Koji Kanemoto, Wataru Inoue, & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. [b]Christopher Daniels , Jay Lethal , & Sonjay Dutt[/b] 5. NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK ATTACKS THE MOTOR CITY: Minoru & Milano Collection AT vs. [b]Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin[/b] 6. NJPW vs. TNA ~ NAGATA LOCK or CHOKE: [b]Yuji Nagata[/b] vs. Samoa Joe 7. NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK or RED, WHITE, & BLUE: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. [b]Kurt Angle[/b] 8. NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~ PHENOMENAL THUNDER: [b]Jushin Thunder Liger (c)[/b] vs. AJ Styles 9. NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Heavyweight Title ~ DRAGON ROAD CROSSES TNA: [b]Hiroshi Tanahashi (c)[/b] vs. Sting

[b][color=yellow][Results] New Japan 12/23/07[/color][/b] by [b][color=red]DEAN[/color][/b] - [i]23 Dec 07[/i] Today's event commemorated the retirement of New Japan's Junji Hirata, which was celebrated with an absolutely amazing card, and arguably the best match of the entire year. Junji Hirata, wrestling under the mask as Super Strong Machine, put every single ounce of effort he had into the match, but Tanahashi still came away with the title. These two men threw everything they had at each other, and Hirata kicked out of every single finisher Tanahashi has used in the past. After Hirata kicked out of the first HFF, Tanahashi hit him with one more release Dragon Suplex, then a second HFF for the win. Afterwards, the entire roster came out to the ring and commemorated Junji Hirata for his contributions towards New Japan. Earlier on in the night, Riki Chosu and Togi Makabe put on a match that was just on par with the main event, and also can be considered one of the best matches of the year, in which Makabe upset the NJPW legend with a King Kong Knee Drop. [b]NJPW "FAREWELL TO STRONG MACHINE", 12/23/07 (PPV) Tokyo Korakuen Hall 10,000 Fans[/b] - Super No Vacancy Full House 1. [b]Elimination 8-Man Tag[/b]: Ryusuke Taguchi, Manabu Nakanishi, Minoru & Yujiro beat Koji Kanemoto, Takashi Iizuka, Wataru Inoue & Tetsuya Naito [b](10:21)[/b] when Minoru used the Minoru Special on Inoue (order of elimination: Tetsuya Naito, Yujiro, Ryusuke Taguchi, Takashi Iizuka, Manabu Nakanishi, Koji Kanemoto, Wataru Inoue). [i]Hot match, got the crowd going.[/i] Rating: [b][color=darkgreen]B-[/color][/b]. 2. [b]New Japan vs. BLACK[/b]: Milano Collection AT beat Tiger Mask [b](7:05)[/b] with the IR. [i]Great match, crowd loved it, despite a small lack of selling.[/i] Rating: [b][color=green]B[/color][/b]. 3. [b]Legend vs. GBH ~ BEST OF THE JR. TAGS[/b]: Jushin Liger & AKIRA beat Jado & Gedo [b](8:36)[/b] when Liger used the Liger Bomb on Jado. [i]Hot match, crowd liked it.[/i] Rating: [b][color=darkgreen]B-[/color][/b]. 4. [b]Legend vs. GBH[/b]: Togi Makabe beat Riki Choshu [b](12:40)[/b] with a King Kong Knee Drop. [i]Could have had more selling...but still insanely awesome. One of the best matches of the year. Great, great, great contest.[/i] Rating: [b][color=blue]A[/color][/b] (Tie for Match of the Night). 5. [b]Legend vs. BLACK[/b]: Masahiro Chono beat Hirooki Goto [b](14:43)[/b] with an STF. [i]Once again, some no-selling. Good anyway.[/i] Rating: [b][color=green]B[/color][/b]. 6. [b]Junji Hirata Retirement Match ~ IWGP Heavyweight Title[/b]: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) beat Super Strong Machine [b](17:57)[/b] with the High Fly Flow (3rd defense). [i]Another amazing match...filled with so much emotion. Great contest.[/i] Rating: [b][color=blue]A[/color][/b] (Tie for Match of the Night). Final Rating: [b][color=limegreen]B+[/color][/b].

[color=yellow][b]New Japan End-Of-Year news conference; end of year awards[/b][/color] by [b][color=red]DEAN[/color][/b] - [i]30 Dec 07[/i] Today, New Japan held a big news conference to discuss some pressing issues and also announce the Tokyo Sports Puroresu 2007 Awards. The awards and winners are as follows: Wrestler Of The Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW Young Wrestler Of The Year: Kenny Dykstra, WWE Veteran Wrestler Of The Year: Super Strong Machine, NJPW Female Wrestler Of The Year: Mickie James, WWE Match Of The Year: IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Super Strong Machine, NJPW, 12/23/07 Card Of The Year: NJPW "FAREWELL TO STRONG MACHINE", 12/23/07, Tokyo Korakuen Hall Also, 4 workers have been released from their New Japan contracts. While these workers were not official members of the roster, New Japan has decided to sever ties with the following wrestlers: Akebono, Taichi Ishikari, Takashi Uwano, and Tomoaki Honma. Also, with 4 wrestlers leaving, 1 wrestler will be given a try out match on the 1/4/08 pre-show. New Japan is heavily considered to offer Daisuke Sekimoto, of BJW, Z1, and Lock Up fame a full NJPW contract. His official try-out will be the 0 match of the Tokyo Dome card.

1. New Japan vs. BLACK: [B]Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask [/B]vs. Hirooki Goto & Prince Devitt Reason: I am a big Nakanishi fan and have not sen much o Prince Devitt's matches. 2. NJPW vs. TNA ~ BATTLE OF POWER: [B]Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko [/B]vs. Rhino & Abyss Reason: Tomko and Bernard are by far the better tag team. I love Rhino and Abyss but not together as a tag team. 3. GBH vs. Legend: Togi Makabe & Toru Yano vs. [B]Masahiro Chono & Riki Chosu[/B] Reason: Big Chono has been on a roll lately and it doesn't seem like that will stop. 4. 6-MAN ELIMINATION ~ Jr. or X: [B]Koji Kanemoto, Wataru Inoue, & Ryusuke Taguchi [/B]vs. Christopher Daniels , Jay Lethal , & Sonjay Dutt Reason: No way am I going to go against Koji. I've been using his Koji Clutch in wrestling practice (tee-hee!) and I have been a fan of his for years. 5. NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK ATTACKS THE MOTOR CITY: Minoru & Milano Collection AT vs. [B]Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin[/B] (Pick for match of the night) Reason: Minoru and AT are coming off a loss against the tag champs, so I am looking for Shelley and Sabin to get the win in what I am also calling the match of the night. 6. NJPW vs. TNA ~ NAGATA LOCK or CHOKE: [B]Yuji Nagata [/B]vs. Samoa Joe Reason: Toughest pick for me as Nagata is another fav of mine. I also love that big bastard Joe but Nagata's jsut the man IMO. (Damn you, Dean!!! lol) 7. NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK or RED, WHITE, & BLUE: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. [B]Kurt Angle[/B] Reason: I picked Kurt because at his age he is still adding tricks to his massive moveset (i.e. the 450 splash). Nakamura is coming off an injury whilst Kurt has been running over the competition in TNA. 8. NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~ PHENOMENAL THUNDER: [B]Jushin Thunder Liger (c)[/B] vs. AJ Styles Reason: Besides Liger being Liger, Styles has cooled off as a title threat IMO, especially in Japan. 9. NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Heavyweight Title ~ DRAGON ROAD CROSSES TNA: [B]Hiroshi Tanahashi (c)[/B] vs. Sting Reason: With all the title controversy going on (IWGP 3rd champion Kurt Angle, etc.), I doubt Sting will come away with the win. But this is a dream match that I would love to see in real life.

[b][color=yellow][Results] New Japan, 1/4/08[/color][/b] by [b][color=red]DEAN[/color][/b] - [i]4 Jan 08[/i] [center][img]http://www.njpw.co.jp/result_data/20070812/photo/09_07.jpg[/img][/center] Today, in front of 28,000 Tokyo Dome fans, Hiroshi Tanahashi successfully completed his V4 defense against American wrestling legend and TNA representative Sting. In an epic encounter, Tanahashi used his Texas Cloverleaf technique to put away the painted warrior. Tanahashi attacked the knee of Sting the entire match, using his vast array of Dragon Screws and other assorted maneuvers to chip away at the strength left in Sting's knee. After hitting the High Fly Flow on an outstretched leg, Tanahashi locked in his submission for an almost immediate tap-out. After the match, Sting praised Tanahashi's abilities in the ring, while Tanahashi said he was more than honored to take on such a legend. Then, Tanahashi went on to proclaim that he is going to have the greatest and most prestigious IWGP Heavyweight Title reign in the belt's history. In the other cross-promotional matches, Jushin Thunder Liger retained his IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title in his V1 defense against a very impressive AJ Styles. Styles was more than a match for Liger, and his patented Styles Clash even scored a long two-count on the living legend. In the end, Liger pulled the CTB out of his repertoire (despite the fact that CTU ceases to exist) to put away the Phenomenal One. Furthermore, in arguably the best match of the night, Kurt Angle scored one of TNA's two victories over New Japan talent, in which he defeated Shinsuke Nakamura in a technically-sound, hard-fought battle. Nakamura made a valiant effort in his return match, but Angle's Olympic Slam was too much for the Supernova. In the last of the 4 big inter-promotional single encounters, Yuji Nagata defeated Samoa Joe in what most are calling an absolutely brutal match, which showcased the hard-hitting style of both men. In the end, Nagata's proven Back Drop Hold was the final blow to the Samoan Submission Machine, who had escaped both the Nagata Lock II and III, and even kicked out of two previous Back Drop's. But Joe's signature Muscle Buster wasn't enough to put Nagata away, as Yuji Nagata walked away with the win. In quite the upset, the TNA team of Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley defeated BLACK's Minoru and Milano Collection AT in a match that is being touted as one of the best Jr. tags of the year. Despite winning two of their matches, TNA lost 5 other contests to New Japan wrestlers, including the tag against the IWGP Tag Team champs, and the 6-Man Elimination Match. Also, the feud between GBH and Legend is seemingly becoming more heated, as Riki Chosu defeated Togi Makabe by submission in their tag match. In one last note, Daisuke Sekimoto defeated Mitsuhide Hirasawa in his New Japan try-out match in quite the impressive manner, although the fans did not seem to involved in the match-up. New Japan officials have announced that Sekimoto may be given one or two more try-out matches, or possibly a seven match trial series later this year. [b]NJPW "WRESTLE KINGDOM II IN TOKYO DOME", 1/4/08 (WPW/PPV) Tokyo Dome 28,000 Fans[/b] - No Vacancy 0. [b]Daisuke Sekimoto Try-Out[/b]: Daisuke Sekimoto beat Mitsuhide Hirasawa [b](5:36)[/b] with a High Angle German Suplex. [i]Crowd didn't really like this. Maybe it was just Hirasawa?[/i] Rating: [b][color=orange]D-[/color][/b]. 1. [b]New Japan vs. BLACK[/b]: Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask beat Hirooki Goto & Prince Devitt [b](9:56)[/b] when Nakanishi used the Hercules Cutter on Devitt. [i]Despite Tiger Mask seeming a little off, this was still a decent opener.[/i] Rating: [b][color=yellow]C+[/color][/b]. 2. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ BATTLE OF POWER[/b]: Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko beat Abyss & Rhino [b](11:51)[/b] when Tomko used a Spinning Rack Pancake on Rhino. [i]Rhino and Abyss are a good team...but this still wasn't anything special.[/i] Rating: [b][color=yellow]C[/color][/b]. 3. [b]GBH vs. Legend[/b]: Masahiro Chono & Riki Choshu beat Togi Makabe & Toru Yano [b](12:41)[/b] when Choshu used a Sasorigatame on Makabe. [i]Great contest, the crowd was really hot. This feud is heating up.[/i] Rating: [b][color=green]B[/color][/b]. 4. [b]6-MAN ELIMINATION ~ Jr. or X[/b]: Koji Kanemoto, Wataru Inoue & Ryusuke Taguchi beat Christopher Daniels, Jay Lethal & Sonjay Dutt [b](12:58)[/b] when Kanemoto used an Ankle Hold on Daniels (order of elimination: Sonjay Dutt, Ryusuke Taguchi, Wataru Inoue, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels). [i]Kanemoto looked really good out there. Otherwise, average match.[/i] Rating: [b][color=yellow]C[/color][/b]. 5. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK ATTACKS THE MOTOR CITY[/b]: Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin beat Minoru & Milano Collection AT [b](16:37)[/b] when Shelley used the Sliced Bread #2 on Minoru. [i]Great match. Two amazing Jr. teams in just a great showcase.[/i] Rating: [b][color=limegreen]B+[/color][/b]. 6. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ NAGATA LOCK or CHOKE[/b]: Yuji Nagata beat Samoa Joe [b](17:44)[/b] with a Back Drop Hold. [i]Nagata and Joe didn't really have any chemistry, so this could have been better. Still not bad.[/i] Rating: [b][color=limegreen]B+[/color][/b]. 7. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ BLACK or RED, WHITE, & BLUE[/b]: Kurt Angle beat Shinsuke Nakamura [b](23:27)[/b] with an Olympic Slam. [i]Amazing match. Crowd loved every bit of it. Nakamura made a great return even in defeat and Angle wrestled one of the best matches he has in a long time.[/i] Rating: [b][color=blue]A[/color][/b] (Match of the Night). 8. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~ PHENOMENAL THUNDER[/b]: Jushin Thunder Liger (c) beat AJ Styles [b](30:04)[/b] with the CTB (1st defense). [i]Crowd liked it, but not as good as the last match.[/i] Rating: [b][color=limegreen]B+[/color][/b]. 9. [b]NJPW vs. TNA ~ IWGP Heavyweight Title ~ DRAGON ROAD CROSSES TNA[/b]: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) beat Sting [b](23:48)[/b] with a Texas Cloverleaf (4th defense). [i]Sting was blown up near the end, and he didn't sell as much as he should have. Still great.[/i] Rating: [b][color=limegreen]B+[/color][/b]. Final Rating: [b][color=limegreen]B+[/color][/b].

Archived