Remembering Montreal:Monday Night Wars & Mind Games

all pictures and videos i use in this diary are created by Jonny_CKY so much love and respect and a huge thanks to him for that. And thanks for convincing me to write my own story, KUTGW on yours dude. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket (Jonny CKY thanks again dude this pic ROCKS!) FOR THOSE WHO LIVED ON MARS IN 1997 Heres a recap of the screwjob just incase The Montreal Screwjob was the real life double-crossing of the defending WWF Champion, Bret Hart, by Vince McMahon, the owner of what was then the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), during the main event match of the professional wrestling pay-per-view event Survivor Series held on November 9, 1997 at the Molson Centre (now Bell Centre) in Montreal, Quebec. A secret change of the match's pre-determined finish (known as a "screwjob" in professional wrestling parlance) was devised by McMahon and discussed with Hart's match opponent, Shawn Michaels. The plan was executed when the match referee, Earl Hebner, under orders from McMahon, called for the bell to ring and ended the match as Michaels held Hart in the Sharpshooter submission hold (Hart's signature finishing move), even though Hart had not submitted. Michaels was declared the victor by submission and crowned as the new WWF Champion, even as Hart and the audience demonstrated their outrage. The reason for the screwjob was rooted in Hart's decision to leave McMahon's company for its chief competitor, World Championship Wrestling (WCW). Hart, who cited a clause in his contract that granted him "reasonable creative control", was steadfast in his refusal to lose a match hosted in his home country, Canada, especially against Shawn Michaels, with whom he did not get along. McMahon remained insistent that Hart should lose to Michaels in Montreal, fearing that his company's business would suffer if WCW announced Hart as its latest signing while he still held the WWF Championship title. Although Hart and McMahon agreed to a compromise on the match ending that allowed Hart to retain the title, McMahon was determined to remove the title from Hart. The far-reaching impact of the incident led to its adoption as a theme in matches and storylines of the WWF's Attitude Era and the creation of the popular character, "Mr. McMahon", the evil boss. Hart was ostracized from the WWF, while McMahon and Michaels continued to receive angry responses from audiences for many years. However, the relationship between Hart and McMahon later healed, culminating in Hart's induction on April 1, 2006 into the company's Hall of Fame. Lets now go back to 1997, to just minuets after Survivor Series, To a young writer for WWF, to the life of the man planing to show just what he can do if given the chance, lets meet Mark Briggs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

-LETS REWRITE HISTORY!- "As i sat in the office with the other writers i felt sick, i meen really sick, i felt as though i was going to pass out, the atmosphere in the room was cold, and full of tension, and i was the new guy people were nervous about, i knew they were going to treat me like sh*t, because they were scared, after last nights fiasco they think im here at someone elses expence, but there wrong, im here because I earned it, I worked my ass off as a writer at the lower feds for the last 10 years, I am here because Mr McMahon knows i have ideas, now im not saying they will all be heared at first, teh head writer & Booker at the moment is Mr McMahon, but we all know that after last night he is only going to be head writer and booker for the next month, then hes going to concentrate on being in the public eye more as a super heel, so evryone here will be sucking up, being a kiss as*, but i wont im going to do things my way, im going to make sure i get that job with my pride in tact, and the first step to that is giving my proposal manifesto to Vince before the other writers give him something first"

Archived