TRAINING: Adaptability

• 4 weeks later...
adaptability I have a million questions but I'll start with a couple-- If I understand you correctly, adaptability does not affect the player's grades, attitude, morale, or acceptance of a second string role on the team. It doesn't affect the behaviors of transfers or freshman. It simply factors in changing a player's position and in all other cases the adaptability should be set at zero. So in the training phase, what's the percentage you assign to football skills, strength and conditioning and academics? What's the highest value you assign to any one training area? Say a guy has a borderline grade average--do you set it for 35? 40? 45? Do players ever exceed their potential? In play calling, I can't ever seem to generate much in the running game.

[QUOTE=duckfanmo;341108]I have a million questions but I'll start with a couple-- If I understand you correctly, adaptability does not affect the player's grades, attitude, morale, or acceptance of a second string role on the team. It doesn't affect the behaviors of transfers or freshman. [B]You are correct.[/B] It simply factors in changing a player's position and in all other cases the adaptability should be set at zero. [B]Yes, but the adaptability rating also determines how well they play out of position. Say a corner playing at safety.[/B] So in the training phase, what's the percentage you assign to football skills, strength and conditioning and academics? [B]Depends. If he is close to his target weight, I usually put little to no training on strength and conditioning; same if he's at his potential with football skills. [/B]What's the highest value you assign to any one training area? [B]I usually limit it to 50-60 in extreme situations, but I've never really seen any hard evidence on a good limit to set[/B]. Say a guy has a borderline grade average--do you set it for 35? 40? 45? [B]As much as the other skills allow. If he's close to his target weight and potential, I'll put most in academics; if not, then I'll split it evenly between the areas that need it.[/B] Do players ever exceed their potential? No, but their potential can increase or decrease. [B]You will never see a 3.0/2.0 player, but that 2.0 player could increase his potential to 3.0[/B] In play calling, I can't ever seem to generate much in the running game. [B]This has been discussed at length. It's difficult to have good rushing stats when playing the games out.[/B][/QUOTE] I'm not an expert at this game, but I hope this helps some

Guest DirkGildun
I've been playing as Northern Illinois for 2 seasons now, playing out all the games. The first season I ran a Run and Gun offense, and the second season I've been running a West Coast offense. The first season, my starting RB ran for over 1,000 yards (and caught passes for another 300 or so yards) in 11 games. The second season, he's on pace for another 1,000 yards or so running. And he's only rated as 53! And my starting FB is on pace for about 400 yards or so. So I know that the running game can be successful when you play out the games. I think my success is from: 1) Running behind my best OL 80% of the time. 2) Running between the tackles 80% of the time. I don't seem to have much success with outside runs, only occasionally.

[QUOTE=DirkGildun;342723]I've been playing as Northern Illinois for 2 seasons now, playing out all the games. The first season I ran a Run and Gun offense, and the second season I've been running a West Coast offense. The first season, my starting RB ran for over 1,000 yards (and caught passes for another 300 or so yards) in 11 games. The second season, he's on pace for another 1,000 yards or so running. And he's only rated as 53! And my starting FB is on pace for about 400 yards or so. So I know that the running game can be successful when you play out the games. I think my success is from: 1) Running behind my best OL 80% of the time. 2) Running between the tackles 80% of the time. I don't seem to have much success with outside runs, only occasionally.[/QUOTE] I would agree with this. I've only had the game briefly but have been playing it nearly a ton. I hav found that it is better to run a decent RB behind a very good line than to have a great RB behind a so-so O line. after going through a few seasons, my 3.0 rated RB is running better behind my all green and blue O-line than my 4.5 rated RB ran behind orange and yellow linemen. This is with playing the games. I also run out of pass formations. For example, the shotgun outside run is usually effective.

[QUOTE=duckfanmo;342810]Thanks for the feedback guys--this is a fun, challenging, absorbing game. My wife is going to kill me but I look forward to playing it as much as I can.[/QUOTE] agree with this statement -- still trying to convince her to let me buy the full game instead of just using the demo :D It makes sense on the rushing thing to have decent RBs tear it up behind great lines while great RBs struggle behind so-so lines. Even some of the greatest RBs I've seen struggle if folks won't block for them...

In the Penn State dynasty I'm playing now, I have a senior RB (4.5) who is having a super season running behind an OL with one true stud: a senior left tackle with a 4.5 overall rating and an 84/100 for run blocking. He's the favorite for the Lombardi Award. The starting C is a 3.5, and the other linemen are young guys who are "orange" now, but have the potential to be very good. I run behind the LT a good portion of the time, and I have some success with outside runs to his side of the line. I enjoy seeing the PBP tell me that "the tackle seals off his man" or "he gets a great block from his left tackle..."

I struggled running the football for years (I always call my own offensive plays) until I hit on a system that works. First of all, I don't recruit guys listed as "outside runners" or "third-down backs" unless I need a guy for third-down situations specifically. Recruit balanced guys or inside runners, then run between the tackles as much as possible. Mix in outside runs only as a mix-up strategy. I started doing that and I ended up having 1,000-yard rushers for several consecutive years, with my highest output being somewhere around 1,700 yards.

• 1 year later...
wondering if I can bump this thread for anyone still lurking out there... i decided that at the end of my current offseason i would have the AI "suggest" player training for every player, and just go through to re-distribute the points that went in to adaptability for some players... in doing so i noticed that the CPU never suggested a value above 40 for any category does this mean that allocating points above 40 for any category is pointless (or near pointless)? i could live with just marginal "extra" increases for some players in certain categories, but if there was no difference between allocating 60 or 40 points then obviously i would leave it at 40... thoughts?

Archived