No weight classes?

[QUOTE=Grimmas;331014]The Welterweight Champion Dan Henderson challenging for the Middleweight Title (Wanderlei Silva) on their last show?[/QUOTE] henderson did not fight him at 183 he fought him at 205 the standard weightclass for middleweight division in pride and henderson had fought at 205 countless times before then

[QUOTE=Manimal;331017]I just set up my new company with 2 weight classes; Heavyweight: 200-300lbs Lightweight:100-200lbs Does that sound okay or is it to wide?[/QUOTE] 100-200 is pretty awful since you can have a guy who is 100 pounds fighting a man twice his size... i mean why bother having weight limits if you are going to do that?

[QUOTE=syndicate;331023]100-200 is pretty awful since you can have a guy who is 100 pounds fighting a man twice his size... i mean why bother having weight limits if you are going to do that?[/QUOTE] How about I add a middleweight class 165-220?

[QUOTE=syndicate;331022]henderson did not fight him at 183 he fought him at 205 the standard weightclass for middleweight division in pride and henderson had fought at 205 countless times before then[/QUOTE] Completely not the point. The point is Henderson is a welterweight (the champion even). To say there is weight classes in PRIDE, says that Henderson moved up a weight class to challenge for another title the middleweight title. So, that means Henderson was then a Middleweight, but somehow was the welterweight champion too?

I was hoping I could make an open-weight division while keeping my traditional weight classes, but it wouldn't let me have any overlap. Is there a way (either now or perhaps in a patch) that we could do this? I figured I could get matches I normally wouldn't be able to book if it's in an open-weight division for a title (or rankings). Any chance we could be able to do something like this in the future?

[QUOTE=Grimmas;331051]Completely not the point. The point is Henderson is a welterweight (the champion even). To say there is weight classes in PRIDE, says that Henderson moved up a weight class to challenge for another title the middleweight title. So, that means Henderson was then a Middleweight, but somehow was the welterweight champion too?[/QUOTE] Yes. I haven't read the whole argument but it seems like you are arguing against weight classes. It is completely irrelevant of who is fighting at the weight classes but the fact that there is weight classes. Whose to say that Henderson didn't move down from LHW to fight at WW (which technically is what happened) before he moved back up to fight Silva. If Silva had beat Hendo, Silva would not have become the Welterweight Champion. The fight was at the Middleweight Division. Henderson did not move up as a WW guy to fight him, he fought him as a LHW. BJ Penn has fought for titles at both 155 and 170. Does the UFC not have weight classes either?

[QUOTE=Brush With Greatness;331102]Yes. I haven't read the whole argument but it seems like you are arguing against weight classes. It is completely irrelevant of who is fighting at the weight classes but the fact that there is weight classes. Whose to say that Henderson didn't move down from LHW to fight at WW (which technically is what happened) before he moved back up to fight Silva. If Silva had beat Hendo, Silva would not have become the Welterweight Champion. The fight was at the Middleweight Division. Henderson did not move up as a WW guy to fight him, he fought him as a LHW. BJ Penn has fought for titles at both 155 and 170. Does the UFC not have weight classes either?[/QUOTE] Difference every fight in UFC has to be in a division. A fight has to be a Middleweight, Welterweight, etc... and they people have to make that weight class to fight. In PRIDE for title fights you had to be within the weight limits, but for a normal fight its not like there was a set limit they had to fight at for that fight. Each fight was not a specific weight class. Sure a lot of fights would be Middleweights vs Middleweights or whatever, but those fighters were not forced to be within those limits. Well in Japan, when they fought in the States they had to be. Unless I'm completely missing something, that is the way PRIDE was run.

[QUOTE=Grimmas;331051]Completely not the point. The point is Henderson is a welterweight (the champion even). To say there is weight classes in PRIDE, says that Henderson moved up a weight class to challenge for another title the middleweight title. So, that means Henderson was then a Middleweight, but somehow was the welterweight champion too?[/QUOTE] so you are saying because henderson moved down in weight can not hold 2 titles at 2 dif weightclasses? i am sorry but thats just plain stupid if that is what you are saying... champions in boxing are always holding titles in dif weightclasses why can mma fighters not do that? brandon vera has been claiming that he will hold both the ufc light heavyweight title and the ufc heavyweight title at the sametime dan henderson fought at 183 and at 205... when he fought for the title at 205 he was around in between 184-205 and when he fought for the 183 title he was 161-183 that makes it perfectly fine because those are in the limits of the weigthclasses... [QUOTE=Grimmas;331161]Difference every fight in UFC has to be in a division. A fight has to be a Middleweight, Welterweight, etc... and they people have to make that weight class to fight. In PRIDE for title fights you had to be within the weight limits, but for a normal fight its not like there was a set limit they had to fight at for that fight. Each fight was not a specific weight class. Sure a lot of fights would be Middleweights vs Middleweights or whatever, but those fighters were not forced to be within those limits. Well in Japan, when they fought in the States they had to be. Unless I'm completely missing something, that is the way PRIDE was run.[/QUOTE] when gracie fought hughes they were listed as a catchweight both coming in at 175 in pride if you had to guys who were in the middleweight division they would fight at middleweight... sometimes a guy comes in at 206 but they also allow that in the ufc and any other company sometimes you get a guy like kondo who bulked up weight to fight 205ers in pride and he would come in at 190 something but it was still in the weight limits and perfectly fine because he is between 184-205 yes pride had matches with guys like cro cop who was heavyweight fighting a middleweight like minowa (in the openweight tournament) but stuff like this did not happen too much pride had weightclasses to say it did not is just wrong

From PRIDE's official web page. [url]http://www.pridefc.com[/url]. From 2005, before the two other titles were added. [quote] Weight classes are as follows: Middleweight Class: Weight less than 93 kg/205 lbs. Heavyweight Class: Weight more than or equal to 93 kg/ 205 lbs. If both fighters are in the middleweight class: If there is a weight difference of 10 kg/22 lbs or more between the fighters, then the lighter fighter is given a choice on whether or not to permit knees or kicks to the face when the fighters are in the "four points position." If both fighters are in the heavyweight class: If there is a weight difference of 15 kg/33 lbs or more between the fighters, then the lighter fighter is given a choice on whether or not to permit knees or kicks to the face when the fighters are in the "four points position." If the match is between a middleweight and heavyweight: If there is a weight difference of 10 kg/22 lbs or more between the fighters, then the lighter fighter is given a choice on whether or not to permit knees or kicks to the face when the fighters are in the "four points position."[/quote] So... it kind of had weight classes, but not anything like UFC in that fighters had to be between 171-185 or whatever.

[QUOTE=syndicate;331023]100-200 is pretty awful since you can have a guy who is 100 pounds fighting a man twice his size... i mean why bother having weight limits if you are going to do that?[/QUOTE] Well there is nobody anywhere near 100 pounds in the database anyway. The lowest is around 145. In fact you will get bigger difference in weight in the 200-300 than the 100-200 category

[QUOTE=Grimmas;331183]From PRIDE's official web page. [url]http://www.pridefc.com[/url]. From 2005, before the two other titles were added. So... it kind of had weight classes, but not anything like UFC in that fighters had to be between 171-185 or whatever.[/QUOTE] i was not speaking of stuff before the pride bushdio tournaments because... i was talking about the most recent events in... as they still had weightclases even before gomi and henderson won the belts they were just 2 of them yet you still had guys who were in the 185 range fighting guys who were 185 or so if we were talking about older events in pride when they did not have those other titles then we can say the ufc never had weightclasses because they did not at one point prides gap bewteen 161-183 was too huge so was 184-205 infact i think the ufc's gaps are also too vast because the 15 pound dif is a pretty big dif and i am sure if you had only a 10 pound weightclass between every single division it we would see plenty of changes in wins and losses

Archived