Journal discussion thread

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;368977]Seeing this feature added to the game reminds me of something that Joss Whedon once said about the creative decisions he's made on his shows: "I don't give people what they want; I give them what they need."[/QUOTE] That sounds a lot like a certain wrestling promoter with a highly buffed rear end. Seriously, though, this feature sounds great. I'm assuming the destiny stat could come into effect here, so some workers are open to changing, while others are set in their ways.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the feature in a gameplay sense, but I really don't want people to expect me or other modders to adjust 9 extra sliding bars to make sure that the 1000+ people in the game world have the correct personality. The first time anyone tells me that CM Punk should be more 16 points more pessimistic is the day I stab them with a fork.

[QUOTE=tommytomlin;369288]I like the feature in a gameplay sense, but I really don't want people to expect me or other modders to adjust 9 extra sliding bars to make sure that the 1000+ people in the game world have the correct personality. The first time anyone tells me that CM Punk should be more 16 points more pessimistic is the day I stab them with a fork.[/QUOTE] I would just use the personality templates for all but the most notorious workers. Most should fit happily into one of the categories Mr. Ryland will provide, then you just adjust the few nice guys and the few total jerks. But yeah, from a modding standpoint I really hope there are not too many more new stats being added.

What an awesome sounding feature. I simply can't wait to see Big Smack Scott's personality profile. This also adds a ton of depth and replayability, as pushing the most talented young workers straight to the top will result in a bunch of egomaniacs. I could never really think of a way to counterbalance pushing young workers before their time, but this is an ingenious method of doing so.

[QUOTE=Mr T Jobs To Me;369384]What an awesome sounding feature. I simply can't wait to see Big Smack Scott's personality profile. This also adds a ton of depth and replayability, as pushing the most talented young workers straight to the top will result in a bunch of egomaniacs. I could never really think of a way to counterbalance pushing young workers before their time, but this is an ingenious method of doing so.[/QUOTE] I love this addition, and I can already see who the next generation of egotistical jerks will be if we don't play carefully (I'm looking directly at you Davis Wayne Newton and Bulldozer Brandon Smith:rolleyes: ).

[QUOTE=Blackman;369444]And no mention of the lifetime contracts associated with family relationships? Are they gone then?[/QUOTE] I think, as has been said more than once, that it's still up to the mod maker (or Adam for the C-Verse) to decide.

Lifetime contracts have never been 'granted' by a blood relative relationship. If Jay Chord gets signed by MAW (assuming Rip hasn't already died), he doesn't automatically gain a lifetime contract. The relationship just makes it a lot more likely that Rip'll sign Jay, if he's available. Lifetime contracts are only doled out at the start of the game, by the mod-makers. I think it's safe to assume therefore that if Rip and Jay have Bad Blood, Jay is never going to [i]see[/i] the Mid Atlantic territory, let alone work there :p I think it's basically a hatred relationship, but still giving a nod to the fact that they are indeed related (presumably so that any other relatives that come along later in the game will still be related to both of them).

Note also that there may be BB between two members of one family, but that every other family relationship is peachy. On a slight tangent, apart from Davey Boy Smith and Dynamite Kid, what other families have legitimately gone public with their animosity towards one another? Am I right in thinking that Bret's relationship with the other Harts is/was strained at some point?

[QUOTE]#2: Bad Blood TEW08 introduces a new relationship type called Bad Blood. This is essentially a "negative Blood Relative"; it allows the game to know that two people are related to each other, but also that they should not get the positive effects that a family connection normally brings. This is ideal for scenarios where family feuds need to be simulated.[/QUOTE] Yeah So can anyone say Jeremy Stone is jumping over to join the DeColts by turning his hatred for Dan Jr into his motivation to become the best ever...

I think that the new complex personalities open a lot of doors to make the management of a company more and more interesting. A big succesful company can be something challenging, if good decision for the whole company leads to problems with important workers. Of course the main point is how these new idea is transalated to the gameplay, but it has a fantastic potential. Bad blood is a nice idea but I see it as something more limited, as it is very specific in the gameplay.

[QUOTE=James Casey;369461]Note also that there may be BB between two members of one family, but that every other family relationship is peachy. On a slight tangent, apart from Davey Boy Smith and Dynamite Kid, what other families have legitimately gone public with their animosity towards one another? Am I right in thinking that Bret's relationship with the other Harts is/was strained at some point?[/QUOTE] I know Bret and Teddy don't see eye-to-eye from a ring-style point of view, but I'd hardly call that 'bad blood', so I dunno... The Harts are one massive grey area for me :p As I recall, Honky Tonk Man and Jerry Lawler aren't exactly best buds these days though. So there's a possibility if you're looking for reasons to use the feature ¬_¬

[QUOTE=KeyserSoze;369474]I think that the new complex personalities open a lot of doors to make the management of a company more and more interesting. A big succesful company can be something challenging, if good decision for the whole company leads to problems with important workers. Of course the main point is how these new idea is transalated to the gameplay, but it has a fantastic potential. Bad blood is a nice idea but I see it as something more limited, as it is very specific in the gameplay.[/QUOTE] The really interesting aspect from a gameplay standpoint, is how it will affect them in the ring if they face each other. Will it have an effect like either positive or negative chemistry? Or will it add to the level of heat and anticipation for the match because the crowd knows there is real animosity?

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;369498] As I recall, Honky Tonk Man and Jerry Lawler aren't exactly best buds these days though. So there's a possibility if you're looking for reasons to use the feature ¬_¬[/QUOTE] Which is the exact relationship that came to mind when folks started suggesting this for the game. Glad to see it will be in. And I especially love yesterday's personality matrix. With the possbility you could mold less lovable men into respectable members of society or see your God push develop an ego to match, it will put a whole new spin on who doesn't and doesn't get used. Could make for a whole new challenge in the game. How many bad apple reclamations can you manage at once? Expanding the personalities of characters is a great step to making things more immersive. Hope Adam has more goodies like this in store for us.

2 days gone and 2 great new features added to the game. The personality thing is really going to give a unique spin to each game I think. People are going to have to stop pushing their young stars to the moon or else their renegotiations are going to be impossible. And the bad blood feature...can't help but think this was written in to break up that damn Stone family =)

These new features both seem great. Cosmetically. But I want there to be some depth in this, so that, these features have an adverse affect on the game, and the way we play it. I found that personalities, while having some affect, really didn't do all that much in the grand scheme of things... but then again it was a huge step up from previous iterations, and I am hoping we see that large step here again.

Animosity between workers might drag the match rating down, or increase backstage trouble. Politicians may side with the more over worker in a dispute - regardless of right or wrong... I could definitely see this adding to the depth of managing locker rooms, besides hiring a bunch of LRLs as previously noted :)

Archived