Journal discussion thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=theunholyicon;369592]These new features both seem great. Cosmetically. But I want there to be some depth in this, so that, these features have an adverse affect on the game, and the way we play it. I found that personalities, while having some affect, really didn't do all that much in the grand scheme of things... but then again it was a huge step up from previous iterations, and I am hoping we see that large step here again.[/QUOTE] I think it's pretty obvious that the neural network feature will completely change the way the game is played, and would consider it far from the tacked-on feature you make it out to be. With personalities evolving over the course of the game, every push and every match will have to be thought through ahead of time - the days of EVERY diary on the Dynasty forum God-pushing Bulldozer Brandon Smith and Jay Chord will be long gone. Things will have changed dramatically since '07: there won't be 1,000 MAW diaries popping up every day, because managing a locker room full of young, immature, talented guys will suddenly be more of a chore and require some work. Tommy Cornell, at 28, will need to be removed from TCW's title picture periodically to avoid inflating his ego to the point where he refuses to job. Keeping the SWF title off of 24 year old Remo Richardson will suddenly make a whole lot of sense. Places like NYCW and USPW might become more appealing to players now that they have a trait that sets them apart: an assortment of experienced, professional, reliable workers willing to help out the next generation of stars. If you want a feature that affects gameplay, this should excite you. The entire game has changed: young, talented workers now have drawbacks when you overuse them, and suddenly loyal veterans like Liberty, BLZ Bubb and Christian Faith may be looked at in a brand new light. Frankly, I think this feature alone shifts the game that much closer to managing an actual promotion, and definitely deserves to be looked at as something more than just 'cosmetic'. In conclusion... uh, I can't wait to see more tomorrow. We're only two entries in, and I'm already salivating over this game. Let's see an entry on how development territories work this time around! :D

[QUOTE=SadisticBlessings;369637]I think it's pretty obvious that the neural network feature will completely change the way the game is played, and would consider it far from the tacked-on feature you make it out to be. With personalities evolving over the course of the game, every push and every match will have to be thought through ahead of time - the days of EVERY diary on the Dynasty forum God-pushing Bulldozer Brandon Smith and Jay Chord will be long gone. Things will have changed dramatically since '07: there won't be 1,000 MAW diaries popping up every day, because managing a locker room full of young, immature, talented guys will suddenly be more of a chore and require some work. Tommy Cornell, at 28, will need to be removed from TCW's title picture periodically to avoid inflating his ego to the point where he refuses to job. Keeping the SWF title off of 24 year old Remo Richardson will suddenly make a whole lot of sense. Places like NYCW and USPW might become more appealing to players now that they have a trait that sets them apart: an assortment of experienced, professional, reliable workers willing to help out the next generation of stars. If you want a feature that affects gameplay, this should excite you. The entire game has changed: young, talented workers now have drawbacks when you overuse them, and suddenly loyal veterans like Liberty, BLZ Bubb and Christian Faith may be looked at in a brand new light. Frankly, I think this feature alone shifts the game that much closer to managing an actual promotion, and definitely deserves to be looked at as something more than just 'cosmetic'. In conclusion... uh, I can't wait to see more tomorrow. We're only two entries in, and I'm already salivating over this game. Let's see an entry on how development territories work this time around! :D[/QUOTE] I think that's a pretty damn good interpretation of the potential effects of this feature. I don't even know exactly (or roughly) how much of an effect this will have but scenarios like the one you describe seem to be at the heart of things. :)

[QUOTE=SadisticBlessings;369637]I think it's pretty obvious that the neural network feature will completely change the way the game is played, and would consider it far from the tacked-on feature you make it out to be. With personalities evolving over the course of the game, every push and every match will have to be thought through ahead of time - the days of EVERY diary on the Dynasty forum God-pushing Bulldozer Brandon Smith and Jay Chord will be long gone. Things will have changed dramatically since '07: there won't be 1,000 MAW diaries popping up every day, because managing a locker room full of young, immature, talented guys will suddenly be more of a chore and require some work. Tommy Cornell, at 28, will need to be removed from TCW's title picture periodically to avoid inflating his ego to the point where he refuses to job. Keeping the SWF title off of 24 year old Remo Richardson will suddenly make a whole lot of sense. Places like NYCW and USPW might become more appealing to players now that they have a trait that sets them apart: an assortment of experienced, professional, reliable workers willing to help out the next generation of stars. If you want a feature that affects gameplay, this should excite you. The entire game has changed: young, talented workers now have drawbacks when you overuse them, and suddenly loyal veterans like Liberty, BLZ Bubb and Christian Faith may be looked at in a brand new light. Frankly, I think this feature alone shifts the game that much closer to managing an actual promotion, and definitely deserves to be looked at as something more than just 'cosmetic'. In conclusion... uh, I can't wait to see more tomorrow. We're only two entries in, and I'm already salivating over this game. Let's see an entry on how development territories work this time around! :D[/QUOTE] SB, I love you. You serve well as the "Translator of Subtlety" here. That is, whenever something subtle comes up and someone says it 'sucks' or 'doesn't matter' (or something similar), you show them the error of their ways. The personality feature has the potential to completely destroy casual users who love to run their WWEs. Unless a mod makes everyone in that company a positive personality type, the fur's gonna fly within the first month. Belee'dat! But I don't see MAW being as affected as SB states. Just as there are young talents who are immature and ego-driven, there are young talents who are humble and open to suggestion. Tommy Cornell is a bad example btw since he owns the joint (unless ya play freestyle) AND is the most reliable worker on the roster. ;) Oh and machinesxe, I think the Bad Blood relationship fits Edd more than Jeremy. How old is Jeremy Stone? Now, look at his physical condition. I don't know of a single 40+ year old person who makes their living with their body and is well on the way to losing even that, who would jeopardize a headlining spot on the roster of the biggest promotion in Canada (and soon, THE WORLD) to jump to a second rate promotion so they can be the only big fish in a puddle of a pond. Jumping to SWF or TCW doesn't accomplish the goal of "who's the better wrestler" after all.

National Battle. Oh hell yeah. I've seen games where there have been four or five promotions at national level within one country, this should change that and make for a far more challenging game when running the bigger promotions. Of all the new features so far this one is probably the one I am most excited about.

National battle sounds marvelous. Just one question I have is that how many nations are. I mean ; Is the US a nation? How many different nations will be in Europe? Anyway it changes the game totally. TEW games til today were game when you only have to compete in the signings of workers. Now you have to compete and keep your workers well balanced and happy. For example now the WCW-WWF escenarios (or the wonderful After the Fall) will be totally different and will require a totally different strategy. I'm very excited about the new features til today. For me are opening the doors to make each game a tactical challenge. You will have to adapt your plans to survive this new features.

Speaking as a new player, I kinda like this one. National Battle makes it a lot more interesting to play as a larger promotion (although TCW better get some decent roster additions), which is good. My only resevration is how it will pan out for smaller promotions like say, NYCW. For example, le't say by some miracle I make it to national status. Could I then expect to los (using my current roster as an example), almost all of the talented members of my roster? It seems a tad unfair on promotions who've just worked their way up, and speaking as someone with very low roster turnover (I don't usually build new guys until the old ones have left), this strikes me as something that needs to be considered.

[QUOTE=1PWfan;369952]It seems a tad unfair on promotions who've just worked their way up, and speaking as someone with very low roster turnover (I don't usually build new guys until the old ones have left), [B]this strikes me as something that needs to be considered[/B].[/QUOTE] With respect, that's something that needs to be considered by [U]you[/U], not the game. If you like to have a low roster turnover and not bother building stars until you need to then that is your choice - but it's also tactically naive and a very poor business strategy. In that case, the game should not (and will not) be designed to work around the way you want to play, it's up to you to mold your plans to the situation you find yourself in. In blunt terms, if you have a poor strategy and aren't flexible enough to change it, why shouldn't the game punish you? It is, after all, a strategy game, if your strategy is poor you shouldn't succeed. As for it being "unfair", yes it is - it's also reality. It's a cut-throat business, and there would be nothing realistic about having the bigger promotions not want to make life harder for you. Why wouldn't they make a play at taking your stars if they can? If you're about to engage in a battle with them, it'd be poor strategy if they didn't try to mess with you, you are their enemy. It's true to life too - as soon as ECW got in a position to make it the Big Three, it was bye bye to half their roster.

Having pondered on this new addition some more, i think we could really use a better breakdown of levels in game. What i mean is if you are motoring along as a cult fed, perhaps you may want to hold fire on making the jump to national until you think your roster is strong enough to handle the competition. With in game indicators of how close you are to the next level it would be possible to hold off on jumping a level, which may well add to the fun, just a thought.

[QUOTE=KeyserSoze;369938]National battle sounds marvelous. Just one question I have is that how many nations are. I mean ; Is the US a nation? How many different nations will be in Europe? Anyway it changes the game totally.[/QUOTE] 'National' in TEW07 reffered to the 'game area'. I.e., USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Mexico and Japan. I'd assume it'll be the same in TEW08 :)

[QUOTE=panix04;369967]Having pondered on this new addition some more, i think we could really use a better breakdown of levels in game. What i mean is if you are motoring along as a cult fed, perhaps you may want to hold fire on making the jump to national until you think your roster is strong enough to handle the competition. With in game indicators of how close you are to the next level it would be possible to hold off on jumping a level, which may well add to the fun, just a thought.[/QUOTE] We know the requirements for the different levels. :confused:

[QUOTE=theoutlaw321;369971]We know the requirements for the different levels. :confused:[/QUOTE] yeah if we look it up! It would be helpful to see it at a glance. So you know that another good showing in mid-atlantic will push you up a level and so its best to put on a show in Canada instead for instance.

[B]Feature 1)[/B] I think a lot of people are focussing on the changable aspect of it, but that isn't what excites me. That's not going to change how I play at all. I'll still book how I want to book. This feature is pure colour, and I love it. More personalised personallities and characterisation... with characters 'thinking' and reacting differently. Ace. [B]Feature 2)[/B] Nothing wrong with this. Although I know a lot of people want Edd Stone to leave his family, but isn't one of the most fun things to do with NOTBPW to run the angle where Edd turns on Dan Jr? I'd miss that. [B]Feature 3)[/B] Yes. Just yes.

I'm not quite as thrilled as most are about this National Battle idea. Is it really great for hardcore players who see the top heaviness this is designed to combat? Sure. But what about newcomers to the title? Where will someone go to play just a nice, quiet, get acquainted game? This sounds like a feature casual players might not understand and could cause frustration by adding to the game's learning curve. If I see anything in this, it's an argument for differing skill levels in 08. That way newbies and casual types can learn to see the need for this and hardcore players can just attack it.

I love the National Battle thing, and I hope that it would also play out to some degree when there are only 2 promotions, but those promotions are at war with eachother. I also really like the new personality styles, and that they can change over time. TEW 08 already sounds like a major improvement over 07 and there sure more to come. One thing I would like to see though is Written Contracts at the Regional and Cult levels, seems unfair that Dave and USPW can start with guys on written deals, but a promotion of equal size can't sign written deals. Even if the # of deals you could have were limited it would be cool.

National battle seems a great new feature. Hopefully the AI will improve as well. If not we'll still kick the big promotions' a$$es with a rising promotion :D But we won't see any scenarios where all promotions are national, like what sometimes occurs in Japan.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;370016]I'm not quite as thrilled as most are about this National Battle idea. Is it really great for hardcore players who see the top heaviness this is designed to combat? Sure. But what about newcomers to the title? Where will someone go to play just a nice, quiet, get acquainted game? This sounds like a feature casual players might not understand and could cause frustration by adding to the game's learning curve. If I see anything in this, it's an argument for differing skill levels in 08. That way newbies and casual types can learn to see the need for this and hardcore players can just attack it.[/QUOTE] Unless the CVerse changes, the National Battle feature won't be active at the start of the game, which will cut down majorly on the confusion.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;370016]I'm not quite as thrilled as most are about this National Battle idea. Is it really great for hardcore players who see the top heaviness this is designed to combat? Sure. But what about newcomers to the title? Where will someone go to play just a nice, quiet, get acquainted game? This sounds like a feature casual players might not understand and could cause frustration by adding to the game's learning curve.[/QUOTE] Sorry, but I think that's a ludicrous argument! There isn't a single major mod that I know of (including the CornellVerse) that starts with three National level promotions in any area - so you're looking at quite a few months, if not years, of game play before the world develops to the point where most players are going to experience a national battle. Even if that wasn't the case, if you're that desparate to avoid a national battle, pick a game area where there's only one big promotion. On top of that, why are you assuming that these newcomers will struggle to understand this feature? A well documented feature with an actual display showing you what is happening! Of all the features in TEW (if they're newcomers, let's not forget that every feature is new to them, not just the additions), why would this one be any more difficult to grasp than the others? :confused: That makes no sense.

Archived