New Feature Suggestion: "Importance"

After thinking about my "Game Modes" suggestion, I got to thinking of an easier way to do it: a slider in the World menu of the Edit section entitled "Importance". On one end of the slider would be "Location" and on the other "Quality" with the player being able to put the slider at a few set points on the bar. If you put the slider all the way to the Location side of the bar, this means that the game will put a much greater importance on the location meta-game and the show quality you get in those specific areas with TV ratings accounting for very little of your popularity (kind of like the old days). If you put the slider all the way to the Quality side of the bar, this means that the game will put a much greater emphasis simply on your show quality and lets the location meta-game take a backseat. Where you host your shows counts for a very small portion of your popularity and keeping it, while your show quality via tapes/DVD's, the internet (we should be able to host shows on the net, by the way), TV, and PPV. If you put the slider smack-dab in the middle, this means the game puts equal emphasis on the importance of the location meta-game as well as overall quality and would offer the most equal challenge to players as they would have to not only manage the shows themselves but also where they are booking. You could potentially have a few more sticky spots on the slider in between the middle and each extreme end too, to give each and every player a game feel they are comfortable with or prefer, or simply to cater to peoples "realism" fetishes.

[QUOTE=praguepride;377116]Maybe I missed something, but what is the point of this? Why is having more or less emphasis on where your show is located opposite of having your show being rated on it's quality rating?[/QUOTE] Has to do with how popularity is generated. At current there is no way to change this, if you don't tour around your popularity will slowly go down in the areas you're not touring, even if your fed is televised heavily in those areas. This suggestion was mainly introduced by myself to mimic different points in wrestling history without completely destroying a balanced, challenging atmosphere (which would still be available via setting the slider right in the center). This day and age, most of a feds popularity is generated via televised shows and PPV's, where as back in the NWA era practically all of a feds popularity was simply touring around. Let me elaborate for you as to what the "extremes" are again... One extreme side of the slider still focuses on show quality, however it generates popularity based on show quality wherever you had that show, with televised shows and PPV's generating a rather small amount of your popularity. In other words, keeping people interested means going from place to place putting on good shows, as TV isn't going to keep fans. On the other extreme end, where you host shows counts for very little, generating and losing very little popularity, instead it focuses more simply on your show quality as an overall (much like it is nowadays). In this extreme popularity is mainly gained and kept from the ratings/quality of the shows you have via tape/DVD, internet, TV, and PPV. Get what I'm saying now?

[QUOTE=RaptorRobertRage;377245]Has to do with how popularity is generated. At current there is no way to change this, [B]if you don't tour around your popularity will slowly go down in the areas you're not touring, even if your fed is televised heavily in those areas.[/B] This suggestion was mainly introduced by myself to mimic different points in wrestling history without completely destroying a balanced, challenging atmosphere (which would still be available via setting the slider right in the center). [B]This day and age, most of a feds popularity is generated via televised shows and PPV's, where as back in the NWA era practically all of a feds popularity was simply touring around.[/B] Let me elaborate for you as to what the "extremes" are again... One extreme side of the slider still focuses on show quality, however it generates popularity based on show quality wherever you had that show, with televised shows and PPV's generating a rather small amount of your popularity. In other words, keeping people interested means going from place to place putting on good shows, as TV isn't going to keep fans. On the other extreme end, where you host shows counts for very little, generating and losing very little popularity, instead it focuses more simply on your show quality as an overall (much like it is nowadays). In this extreme popularity is mainly gained and kept from the ratings/quality of the shows you have via tape/DVD, internet, TV, and PPV. Get what I'm saying now?[/QUOTE] I'm not sure that what I have bolded is actually true. If your heavily televised, then your going to raise your popularity, giving that your shows are able to do so. You don't have to go there outside of possibly after your National, and you want to run house shows around the world (or the country). These are not shows you have to run, just house shows the AI manages to do by itself, and it helps your popularity in places where you might not be televised but people know who you are. Also... Historically, YES, TV has been a big part of quite a few promotions, especially around the NWA times if your talking about DOTT era... if your talking about before TV, thats different. However, they were still on the radio. Most of the territorial type promotions indeed had Televised shows. The way they made their money was on doing live shows (In their territory). I think maybe your looking for something that your not quite explaining correctly. If I'm right, please explain exactly what your looking for and maybe someone can come up with something that will help. Otherwise, I can't see what this would do at all... You started out talking about Show type wrestling vs. More realistic higher quality wrestling (Show vs. Kafabe, or something like that I think). If so, then your product setting can do everything your asking for and more. But TV is going to be a big boost to any company on the rise... as it should be.

Here's an example of what I mean by TV being a big boost... Let's say Adam is spotlighted on one of those gaming shows on SciFi or Geek TV or something. Then he is on another show like 60 minutes, then the day show, then you see him on Jay Leno, etc. Before too long, Adam Ryland becomes a household name (going on and on with this idea). We all know Adam, so we know what to expect when a game is released, or when we have a problem with a product he made (Customer Service that most place's can only dream about having). Imagine NEW people coming here, to join in on the fun. They all know all about Adam Ryland and come here to play his game, then have a problem and ask something in Tech support. Imagine how they would react when the "VERY FAMOUS" Adam Ryland asks them for a copy of their save game, goes in and fix's their game, then sends it back. The difference... Right now we all kind of expect that from him, as that's what we are used to. However, if we were knew, and thought of Adam as a very famous celebrity of sorts.... Our expectations would not be as high and he would definately be a "Hero" type when he appeared to help out the needy, lol. So to speak anyways. Just realise that TV is a huge benefit, and there is nothing I can think of that strives better without it... or some form of similar publicity.

It's true that I hate the fact that taping a bad show on Tuesday can potentially cause my promotion to fall from Global to International immediately, even if the show isn't televised until Friday, or the fact that my promotion's popularity is going to drop constantly in areas where I don't hold shows, even though they still get the shows on tv every week. So I think you're right, TV shows should definitely have more impact on the overall popularity of a promotion, but I don't think you really need a "Quality/Location" slider bar for that.

Archived