Ugh, why is TNA trying to pursue NASCAR?

DreamGoddessLindsey

Wrestlng's biggest audience is middle America and for whatever reason middle America loves NASCAR so what better way to gather a huge audience that link yourself with one of the fastest growing "sports" in the country. Personally I don't get driving around in circles for 4 hours but I live in New York and I don't even have license.

[QUOTE=DreamGoddessLindsey;377310]I just don't get it. NASCAR is so boring and completely unrelated to wrestling. I wish they'd just put on a good wrestling product with solid storylines and stop the silly crap.[/QUOTE] Can't argue with you. Especially the last sentence. But I think Apu is apporaching it there. Think where TNA is located. They are a Southern-based promotion and that's where NASCAR's base audience is from. It's as natural a geographic move as some Canadian fed cross-promoting with the local hockey team. I could do with TNA presenting more of an alternative to WWE than they do. But honestly, I'd be more concerned if they weren't cross-promoting with NASCAR.

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline;377320]Wrestlng's biggest audience is middle America and for whatever reason middle America loves NASCAR so what better way to gather a huge audience that link yourself with one of the fastest growing "sports" in the country. Personally I don't get driving around in circles for 4 hours but I live in New York and I don't even have license.[/QUOTE] it's a good point, and perhaps it might work if they *TNA Wrestler's, showed up on Nascar shows. Otherwise I doubt that's going to do anything. WWE stars are showing up all over the place on other show's. That will probably work allot more then having other shows show up on yours...... Unless of course the other show lets THEIR fans know they are going to be there.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;377330]NASCAR is gay, I wish we could get back to monster trucks. That is the motorsport of choice for the true wrestling fan.[/QUOTE] :rolleyes: I can't wait for this gay = lame stuff to just die off. It is just so out of place of place in the 21st century. It always sounds multiple decades behind the times.

[QUOTE=Midnightnick;377332]I'd pay to see a wrestling event cross-promoted with Monster Trucks.[/QUOTE] Me too. [QUOTE=cappyboy;377334]I can't wait for this gay = lame stuff to just die off. It is just so out of place of place in the 21st century. It always sounds multiple decades behind the times.[/QUOTE] Totally. Though I guess it's still popular with certain ages. Besides, wrestling is WAY more gay than NASCAR. ;)

Wrestling/Monster Truck crossovers are not as great as they sound. WCW tried it. When I first bought my PC it came free with a Monster Truck game, and said truck was all painted up with the wrestler Sting's face on it. Think Madusa is a monster truck driver these days too. [QUOTE=cappyboy;377334]:rolleyes: I can't wait for this gay = lame stuff to just die off. It is just so out of place of place in the 21st century. It always sounds multiple decades behind the times.[/QUOTE] I'm old, give me a break. I come from a time when not beating people up for being gay was considered tolerant, as horrible as that is. Plus the way I see it, it's just language at work My granny's generation gay = happy My parents generation gay = homosexual My generation gay = lame My children's generation gay will = people who constantly nitpick over others use of slang :p

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;377341] I'm old, give me a break. I come from a time when not beating people up for being gay was considered tolerant, as horrible as that is. [/QUOTE] You know what? Fair enough. This means you actually have more place doing it than the young whippersnappers I usually hear it from. If it weren't for them, I doubt this would be a quarter of the pet peeve it is for me.

[QUOTE=Astil;377378]Hott.[/QUOTE] And means no chance for you. As for the original question, besides what has been said before, TNA has had ties with NASCAR for a while. They used to run their house shows through UWF, which is owned by NASCAR driver Hermie Sadler. They've had matches involvind NASCAR drivers like Sadler for a while. I believe there was something involving 3LK... against Team Canada I think.

Never been that much of a NASCAR fan myself, (though I did have a short fling way back when I saw Days Of Thunder), but WCW did have Kyle Petty driving the nWo car there for a while I think, (I'm pretty sure there was a WCW car too at some point). If TNA's serious about building up a relationship with NASCAR though, maybe they should bring in Cledus T. Judd for a bit. He did make a WWE appearance or two with The Godwinns, way back when. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcx1RHmexDM[/url] :)

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;377493]I always thought wrestlings largest audience lies within the tri state area. Or atleast around the northeast, which in fact has no interest that abortion of a "sport."[/QUOTE] But in saying that you're underestimating the South's role in the sport. It's not like TNA is based out of Seattle or something. It's a Southern based promotion and the brainchild of the classically southern-minded Jarretts. They are targeting the largest fanbase they know. Combine that with the wild growth NASCAR's been seeing nationwide and I'd be more worried about where TNA's head was if they WEREN'T pairing up with the stock car guys. Nothing could be more logical. If anything, we shouldn't be talking about this thought process being too bizarre. But rather a little too conventional.

[quote=AfRoMaN36;377493]I always thought wrestlings largest audience lies within the tri state area. Or atleast around the northeast, which in fact has no interest that abortion of a "sport."[/quote] Then explain how Watkins Glen, Pocono and NH International sell out every event they put on. I'm no NASCAR fan, but there must be [I]some[/I] interest in Tri State and Northeast in NASCAR or else they wouldn't have bothered to build the tracks. On a different tack, if we're going to bitch about using 'gay' as a colloquialism, shouldn't there be something said about using 'abortion' as one? Might as well get all the hot-button banworthy topics in one thread for convenience's sake. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;377493]I always thought wrestlings largest audience lies within the tri state area. Or atleast around the northeast, which in fact has no interest that abortion of a "sport."[/QUOTE] I'm from New York, in my Big Apple centric view, the center of the Tri State area. So here are a few things, first there are a suprising ammount of NASCAR in the city alone, I don't get it but their are. And then once you get out of the city into upstate New York (yes anything above The Bronx is upstate that includes you westchester) there are even more NASCAR fans. Don't really know much about Pennsylvania but I was in Pittsburg recently and apparently after the distributors clsoe you ahve to go into a bar to buy a six pack (damn blue laws) and they were watching NASCAR on the bar TV. But I donn't think the Tri-State and the Nroth East in general are what TNA is shooting for as Wallbanger has already touched upon. TNA knows the WWE basically controls the North East and is trying to gain popularity where it's har dis the south. It's a smart move on their part really build a fan base someplace that isn't overrun by WWE and then move else where. The fan base for NASCAR inthe south in immense and TNA management knows this so why not tap into it.

I'm curious as to the historical perspective too. Being a born/bred midwesterner, I don't have enough context to know if the link between wrestling and racing is a recent phenomenon or goes back further. So for the old guard MACW/GCW folks -- were there attempts to cross-promote with racing back in the pre-DOTT and DOTT era?

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline;377773]I'm from New York, in my Big Apple centric view, the center of the Tri State area. So here are a few things, first there are a suprising ammount of NASCAR in the city alone, I don't get it but their are. And then once you get out of the city into upstate New York (yes anything above The Bronx is upstate that includes you westchester) there are even more NASCAR fans. Don't really know much about Pennsylvania but I was in Pittsburg recently and apparently after the distributors clsoe you ahve to go into a bar to buy a six pack (damn blue laws) and they were watching NASCAR on the bar TV. But I donn't think the Tri-State and the Nroth East in general are what TNA is shooting for as Wallbanger has already touched upon. TNA knows the WWE basically controls the North East and is trying to gain popularity where it's har dis the south. It's a smart move on their part really build a fan base someplace that isn't overrun by WWE and then move else where. The fan base for NASCAR inthe south in immense and TNA management knows this so why not tap into it.[/QUOTE] Well, I'm from New York too. And NO ONE talks about NASCAR. It just doesnt happen. Its all about the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, And how much the Knicks suck. Upsate maybe, but that is a completely different place/affluence/galaxy. TNA I understand is based in middle America and I supposed they would like to reach out to those kinds of fans. But arent they also the breeding ground for Internet smarks last time I checked? Originally they were the "Alternative" from the WWE. A refreshing change that the smarks and the know-it-alls can get behind and self promote anytime any two casual fans decide to talk about the WWE. Would they approve of this over the actual WRESTLING that made them brag in the first place? Would this be something someone like Ransik would try and shove down our throats while he's taking a break froom bashing every bowel movement Vince McMahon makes? No.

[QUOTE=Wallbanger;377681] On a different tack, if we're going to bitch about using 'gay' as a colloquialism, shouldn't there be something said about using 'abortion' as one? Might as well get all the hot-button banworthy topics in one thread for convenience's sake. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE] Hmm.... NO WAR FOR OIL!!!! SPREAD THE WORD!!!

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;377852]NASCAR needs that damn oil![/QUOTE] ^ BEST... LINE... EVER. I an seriousness, though, New York is a big place. Not just the city, but the state. Tri-State, doesn't just mean NYC and Philly. It's all of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. I'm sure there are plently of NASCAR fans there. And in NYC, you could probably take all the NASCAR fans there and it would be as big a number as the amount in all of Texas. Really, I think anything that can get TNA mainstream exposure, anywhere, is good. Will people really STOP watching because of the NASCAR stuff? Probably not. Will some start watching because they found out about it while watching a NASCAR race? Quite possibly. As long as NASCAR stays out the World and X-Division title scenes, that's fine. Let them bring some more exposure to the tag wrestling. Whatever.

Archived