Workers refusing to negotiate

I love the game, but I've encountered an extremely irritating problem. I booked an event five weeks in advance, and scheduled all of my fights. As it turns out, two of the booked fighters had their contracts expiring four days after the event, though I wasn't notified of this until after the fights were booked. They, of course, refused to negotiate an extension while preparing for their fights, and then when I sought to negotiate after the fight they did not get back to me until after their contracts expired. I wasn't too worried, because in past games I'd always just approached fighters after they left and re-signed them when this happened. But, post-patch I now get a message that they are not interested in re-signing "just yet". I think this is ridiculous and unrealistic. I've now lost two important young fighters for no good reason at all. Is there some way I can edit my game to correct this problem and resign the fighters? I've not figured out a way to do so for an active saved game. If I can't, I'm feeling like just giving up on this game altogether even after all of the hours I've put into it.

[url]http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29646[/url] I've made a suggestion already for increasing the notice period or allowing fighters to continue contract negotiations if the contract expires. I don't schedule events more than 21 days in advance due to this limitation in the game. If I have a contract negotiation with a fighter that will be fighting in the event, I'll wait to sign him/her before setting up the fight (sometimes resulting in events not being booked until 14 days prior to the event).

Yes, Marioh, I guess that's the way to do it. It's far too laborious to check the contract status of every fighter before booking fights more than three weeks away. Adam, is there any way to edit contract status within an active game? I'm still hoping to reverse what happened.

This has been brought up before, but I'm going to sum up everything quickly. 1. A fighter won't negotiate during that period because he doesn't know how much he'll be worth AFTER the fight. He obviously wants what is best for himself so he's going to wait. 2. Most companies will book a monthly show. Having a 1 month warning works for most people. IF you are booking an event with such a large amount of time during which many things can happen to your fighters, then that really is your fault. You need to plan better, especially once you know how things work. 3. You can't edit contracts during the game because of the way contracts work in WMMA. IF you edit one fighter to have a deal far above what they should have then that company will have to match that contract for the other fighters at his leve (the Pay Parity feature). Similarly, if you edit it to be low the fighter will simply ask for more money because of Pay Parity. The length/fights have other reasons for not being editable that I can't remember just now. Lastly... if you are too lazy to look at the available information when you are booking fights I can't feel sorry for you. This is a game about strategy and part of that is knowing what is going on with your own roster. While everything COULD be handed to you in a brick-to-the-head level of subtlety, this wouldn't make for much in the way of gameplay, planing, foresight or difficulty.

Well, fair enough. But you haven't really given any good reason why fighters will leave your org and act as though they've been fired even when you have an outstanding request for negotiations that they haven't responded to. That seems like something that could be simply fixed, since it wasn't like that before the patch. It would also help if you could sort your roster by date of contract expiry (not to mention by date of last fight). Maybe that would be "brick-to-the-head" lack of subtlety, but there's not a lot of strategy (or subtlety) in going to the roster screen and checking the contract expiry date for each fighter before booking a fight, it's just a lot of unneccesary effort as far as I can see (though I guess I'm just "lazy"). Granted, problems can be avoided by only booking shows three weeks in advance, but it would be nice to be more flexible than that. I'm not trying to slag the game, I think it's great. I'm just suggesting room for some tweaks. No need to get all defensive.

[QUOTE=Sertorius;378735]Well, fair enough. But you haven't really given any good reason why fighters will leave your org and act as though they've been fired even when you have an outstanding request for negotiations that they haven't responded to. That seems like something that could be simply fixed, since it wasn't like that before the patch. It would also help if you could sort your roster by date of contract expiry (not to mention by date of last fight). Maybe that would be "brick-to-the-head" lack of subtlety, but there's not a lot of strategy (or subtlety) in going to the roster screen and checking the contract expiry date for each fighter before booking a fight, it's just a lot of unneccesary effort as far as I can see (though I guess I'm just "lazy"). Granted, problems can be avoided by only booking shows three weeks in advance, but it would be nice to be more flexible than that. I'm not trying to slag the game, I think it's great. I'm just suggesting room for some tweaks. No need to get all defensive.[/QUOTE] Don't worry about the condescending attitude of the other poster. Just add your thought(s) to my post in the suggestions portion of this site, and maybe Adam will add it to the game.

i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss derek_b's input if being blocked when they're booked to fight is such a big deal, why didn't you just remove them from the card, negotiate with them and then add them back on again? Sure it's a minor penalty, but I'd rather take a little percentage hit on a show then lose workers that are vital to my promotion...

yeah it's dumb they act like they got fired when their contract just expired, there is no reason they shouldn't be willing to resign after their contract runs out. particularly when they don't have any other offers and just sit on their ass for a year, making no money and getting no fights most importantly, it makes the game less fun. It's not fun to check every workers contract before you book them for a bout. It's not fun to cancel a fight, resign the fighter, and book the fight again. That's one of the stupid parts, the fighter refuses to negotiate during training for a fight in case they win but if you just cancel their fight they'll negotiate and they get less time to train for their bout.

Good points ... the best work around is to cancel the fight and rebook after negotiations, but it is certainly annoying .. I guess it does make the game a little more challenging, which is good when your company is massive. If I had a fighter who had lost 2 or 3 in a row I would purposely let their contract expire to see if they would win their last fight .. now I have to make the decision first, which is a more realistic I suppose. You don't often see the UFC let a fighters contract run out and then resign them after the last fight. That being said if 10 months down the line they haven't signed with anyone they really should at least listen to my contract offer!

Archived