Earthquake!!!!!

Undertaker666

I live in Shropshire in West Mids. Was sat on my sofa watching Still Game on DVD and my sofa starts shaking and then I hear the walls make a knocking sound, didn't know what the f**k was going on. Even less fun when you live on the second floor of a block of flats :eek:

[url]http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008nyae.php[/url] From leeds and live in a cardboard cut out of a house so it felt quite powerful. The epicentre was lincoln apparently. Hoping the site is accurate as it will have won me a fiver.

Ah, when I checked the BBC News website they didn't know what size it was, but they too have now said it's a 4.7. Where I am it didn't feel as bad as the one a few years ago but i'm closer to Dudley than Lincoln so that's not surprising. Sometimes a lorry will go zooming past my house so it shudders a little bit, so when a quake comes I always think it's a lorry at first.... but then the shaking builds up and keeps on shaking!

At least this time I had an idea what it was because of the last time I experienced one. The first time I was just sat watching TV and felt a slight rumble (thought it was a passing lorry) but then it grew and everything started shaking like crazy. I thought i'd fallen asleep and dreamt it when I couldn't hear anything about it on TV or the radio. Eventually some guy on the radio said "yes, will you all stop calling, there WAS an earthquake!" so I was glad it wasn't just me going crazy. :p Any Americans reading this are probably thinking, "There was an earthquake, so what?". :D

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;380634]lol, read the last bit in my previous post - I was right! :D[/QUOTE] Heh. I think they're less common farther east, but over here, so close to the San Andreas fault... There was a 6.0 in Wells, Nevada, a few days ago. Pretty much ruined every building in that town. And yet, it wasn't that big a deal. Northridge in 1994 was big, at 6.7 (though it caused much stronger effects). I was still in Ukraine at the time, though. But at Cal State University Northridge, you can see some parts of buildings that fell during that earthquake and were left there as a memorial. Brutal.

I'm sure it's something you get used to if they happen on a regular basis, but in mainland England we just don't get that many earthquakes so it's not something we're accustomed to. I've lived in the same area for almost 26 years and i've only ever felt two earthquakes, one six years ago and the one that's just happened. I went twenty years of my life without experiencing an earthquake and then all of a sudden the whole house started shaking so I didn't have a clue what was going on!

Comming from New York, we never get any earthquakes. And I mean litterally never. In my whole life living here, I've never experienced one. Worse weather I've ever experienced was the short end of Hurricane Katrina which Ironically came at the same time I was to go on vacation to Virginia which saw worse weather. Then again, their are much more serious things to talk about Kurricane Katrina than a ruined vacation.

I felt it, woke me up and confused the hell outta me it was like the bed started to shake and I thought it was one crazy dream, woke up and it was still shaking, so that was a WTF! moment for me lol Apparently it was reported as a 5.2/5.3 around here, I'm from Lincolnshire, so I was pretty close to the epi-centre

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;380847]Comming from New York, we never get any earthquakes. And I mean litterally never. In my whole life living here, I've never experienced one.[/QUOTE] And that's why your city is small as hell but still has so many people. Tall buildings. You guys have a huge population density, otherwise you'd have less people than LA or Chicago. In LA, we're limited to about 3 stories for residential buildings. Most buildings in Manhattan are twice that.

I live in Manchester, and I felt it. I was asleep, woke up with my bed shaking, I was so scared lol! Yup, how embarassing....17 years old and it terrified me! Mind you, not something I'd except to be happening! Although, when I was in Florida a few years ago Hurricane Charley hit- that was definately more scary. The steak house we were eating in had the roof lifted off for a few seconds, then it came back down and there was dust everywhere, the windows were bending and everything. God I was scared lol.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;380633]At least this time I had an idea what it was because of the last time I experienced one. The first time I was just sat watching TV and felt a slight rumble (thought it was a passing lorry) but then it grew and everything started shaking like crazy. I thought i'd fallen asleep and dreamt it when I couldn't hear anything about it on TV or the radio. Eventually some guy on the radio said "yes, will you all stop calling, there WAS an earthquake!" so I was glad it wasn't just me going crazy. :p [B]Any Americans reading this are probably thinking, "There was an earthquake, so what?"[/B]. :D[/QUOTE] It's really only those of us on the west coast of the U.S. that think that, lol. I remember one hit during class one time, and a friend of mine who had just moved to the west coast from Maine just freaked out over a 4.0. It was cute, really. I live south of San Francisco so I've experienced my fair share of earthquakes and was 10 for the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake. In fact, I can't even remember the first quake I experienced so, I can only imagine just how weird and scary it is to realize that you really don't have any control whatsoever over what's happening at the moment lol. That said, you get me near a tornado or hurricane and I'll probably piss myself, but earthquake, :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Akki;380879]And that's why your city is small as hell but still has so many people. Tall buildings. You guys have a huge population density, otherwise you'd have less people than LA or Chicago. In LA, we're limited to about 3 stories for residential buildings. Most buildings in Manhattan are twice that.[/QUote] Manhattan? 3 story buildings are laughable in Manhattan, everything is a freaking skyscrapper. Including many residential buildings. Rent is ludacrisly high for tiny pissant apartments too. But they're always in demand because people flock here like their is no tomorrow. In fact, its considered rude to stop in the middle of the streets because youd be holding up several dozen people walking behind you. Brooklyn would be more realistically around 6 stories though I've seen taller. Just go near the Coney Island projects which have about 10-20 stories high buildings They hold thousands of people at once.

Archived