Gimmick Overness

At first I was going to say "NO WAY!". I was thinking Undertaker's gimmick on someone like Hornswaggle, would just not work the same way. However, after seeing what you mean, I think it's all up to how good the worker does the gimmick.. So it's up to how it is worked in far as the editor is concerned. For example, High Entertainment skills for one gimmick might go over for the same worker tons better then real athlete does. I think that's kind of in there already.

I'm not sure how the Gimmick Rating that is currently in TEW works, but I think having it work that if a guy gets that rating up it should sort of work to increase his popularity a bit, and perhaps have it stored that he has that rating with a certain gimmick. So like with Undertaker went from the Deadman, then a few gimmick changes then back to the Deadman, it remembers that what his rating was before as the Deadman. Allowing for a better return to that gimmick.

A "Gimmick overness" feature would be easily exploitable (if a worker gets an instant popularity boost every time he goes back to a certain gimmick, then you're going to go back to this same gimmick all the time) and wouldn't be particularly realistic. The Undertaker's current gimmick is different from his original deadman gimmick anyway, and the reason it works again is probably because the Undertaker himself is a super popular wrestler. Some characters work reasonably well the first time, but it doesn't mean people want them to come back over and over. Sean Morley was reasonably popular as an adult film star the first time. But when he went back to his "Val Venis" persona after his stint as "Commissioner Morley", it didn't work as well as it used to. Doink was popular back in the days, it doesn't necesarily mean that if Matt Borne was to come back under the clown makeup for a long run and not just a "one night only" nostalgia event like the Raw anniversary, he'd be as popular as he was in the 90s.

Archived