Paul Burchill Returns!

jamck

I like the idea of the guy, and the fact that people still refer to him as 'the pirate' at least means people remember him, so that's something. I never saw him as the Pirate, but it strikes me as something I'd like. My only beef with him is that every finisher he's had has been awful.

Bollocks! In which case, I'll have to start watching Raw again! :rolleyes: Cheers for the heads-up. After checking out his debut vids on wwe.com, I must say, I like the look of the Ripper gimmick. I just pray they don't turn him into another generic big-man when he is so, so much better than that! EDIT: I agree with shape. The C-4 or Hotwire or whatever you want to call it was just plain awesome. Quote The Raven Nevermore

[QUOTE=The Shape;380853]Um...C4...awful? Um...curb stomp...awful? It does take a little long to set up for a grounded move but you can't deny the impact, haha.[/QUOTE] Curb Stomp? Too dangerous. The margin for error is too small for my tastes. Plus the taking too long thing bothers me. He can only do the C4 to small guys, otherwise it makes no sense. And the Rolling the Dice/Last Rites/Spin Doctor... I've seen it too many times to be impressed.

[QUOTE=Self;380864]He can only do the C4 to small guys, otherwise it makes no sense.[/QUOTE] I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I seem to remember him doing the C-4 to Alex Shane once in FWA and Shane was no Spike Dudley. I think he's just always gone for unusual finishers. One of the reasons I like him so much; he reminds of Nova. Back in his FWA days he came up with all sorts of crazy sh*t! Quote The Raven Nevermore

[QUOTE=Nevermore;380868]I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I seem to remember him doing the C-4 to Alex Shane once in FWA and Shane was no Spike Dudley. I think he's just always gone for unusual finishers. One of the reasons I like him so much; he reminds of Nova. Back in his FWA days he came up with all sorts of crazy sh*t![/QUOTE] I'll give the C4 some credit. I'd never seen it before, but the Curb Stomp and Spin Doctor will alway, to me, be Nova moves.

I'll always associate the Curb Stomp with Super Dragon, especially because of how brutal it looks when he does it. I've seen it live about 5 times and watching a guy's head bounce off the canvas like that is sick. I think it's a good finisher, and unique for the WWE.

[quote=Akki;380876]I'll always associate the Curb Stomp with Super Dragon, especially because of how brutal it looks when he does it. I've seen it live about 5 times and watching a guy's head bounce off the canvas like that is sick. I think it's a good finisher, and unique for the WWE.[/quote] yea that is what I hear when I think of curb stomp I kinda wish he(paul burchill) did C4 in the wwe like he use to but I understand how it would tend to get stale

[QUOTE=Nevermore;380868]I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I seem to remember him doing the C-4 to Alex Shane once in FWA and Shane was no Spike Dudley.[/QUOTE] Sure, he could do it, but how did it look? Did it look like he was doing a backflip, and lifting the guy over with him? Or did it look like Shane did a forward flip, while Burchill did a backflip, while they were holding eachother? It's a move I put in the same column as the Canadian Destroyer. It's cool, but it lacks legitimacy. I guess all the MMA I've been watching has been seeping into my head. I've rethought my opinion on the Curb Stomp. Moves should look devestating, and at least it's more contained than that damn Vertebreaker. The length of time it takes to set up makes me think it's a secondary move though.

[QUOTE=Self;380883]Sure, he could do it, but how did it look? Did it look like he was doing a backflip, and lifting the guy over with him? Or did it look like Shane did a forward flip, while Burchill did a backflip, while they were holding eachother? It's a move I put in the same column as the Canadian Destroyer. It's cool, but it lacks legitimacy. I guess all the MMA I've been watching has been seeping into my head.[/QUOTE] I still think it looked like he lifted him but, granted, it looked far less spectacular. That, undoubtedly, is the problem with the C-4 : the bigger the guys he's doing it to the more sloppy and lop-sided it is. I miss the days when he used to his Shooting Star Press. Now, that was cool! Burchill's only two inches shorter than me. So, he's a very tall chap and, I swear, it shouldn't be physically possible for him to borrow Lyger's repertoire! Quote The Raven Nevermore

Yeah Burchill is a lot of fun. I loved his FWA stuff I saw where they treated him like a total monster. He was a bit sloppy but that doesn't matter. A big guy like that who is so insanely agile, reminded me of Mike Awesome only with more potential for awesomeness. Remember seeing er .... was it Simmons the butler? He was sort of wimpering and saying "I don't want to wrestle him." in this really scared little voice. Loved that stuff.

I remember booking a face version of an incest storyline in a TEW game a while back. Basically Stevie Richards was forced to bring along his little sister as his manager, who would parade around wearing barely anything, much to his... discomfort. She was be played by Maria (this was before I started rewatching the shows) I'm pretty open to the storyline, but then I like gimmicky stuff. Let's face it, the incest thing has got people talking. Not sure if it'll sell t-shirts, but more people know who he is than Drew Galloway.

[QUOTE=SHaynes23;380998]I really like Burchill as a wrestler and all, but I can't really get over the fact that the most likely end to his current storyline will see him give his sister the ole' how's your father. That's just not right.[/QUOTE] Dunno... depends how it's portrayed in the angle. Read "'Tis Pity She's a Whore". Quote The Raven Nevermore

Burchill is cool - I vividly remember him demolishing Aviv Maayan (I think) at an FWA show in my local community centre, the same show featuring Nikita (Katie Lea), Steve Corino and CM Punk. Not bad for a tenner... Anyway, at some point either Katie Lea will turn out to be his stepsister, or they'll turn around and it'll prove to be entirely above board - if seemingly dodgy. WWE has surely learned its lesson from Katie Vick et al. Besides, Burchill is too awesome to screw up three times, surely?

I say bring back the unbreakable Armbar he had when he first showed up. They stopped him using it because Brent "Gunner Scott" Albright was going to debut and presmably use the Crowbar, but he's long gone now. Fujiwara = awesome. Fujiwara done from laying on the person's back so they can't move = too awesome.

Archived