Copywrite Infringment

Ok, here's a pretty simple idea that I think would be a nice little addition. Whenever I sign a worker who WWE have released I always try and chance his name, since I know in the real world WWE would have it trademarked. I know that the whole 'alter egos' thing has this covered in a way, but the user is still able to name the wrestlers whatever he wants. What I was thinking was maybe there could be a list of Copywrites for each company (say any time a wrestler is renamed differently to his default name it's added). If the user used a copywritten name that didn't belong to his promotion then he'd get a Cease & Desist order in their inbox or perhaps even a heafty fine if the owner of the promotions personality called for it or if they refused to change it (maybe the fine could be reletive to the overness of the superstar/size of the promotion) . It's not that big a deal, I just think it would make coming up with alternative names for newly signed superstars an actual part of the game, as well as yet another added layer of realism. For a bit of added variety maybe random AI controled promotions could occationly be found guilty of it and fined. Maybe if you're below a certain size or arn't widely televised you could fly under the redar with it for a few months, gaining some extra popularity (at a risk). Thoughts?

If I recall correctly, this has been discussed since EWR. I think the end of the argument was, that it'd be too hard to avoid people just changing a single letter or making spaces, etc. This would of course not be tolerated in real life, as name changes have to be quite different from the copywritten name.

I don't know if this is a nessesary addition or not, but the argument that people could simply change a letter and in real life it wouldn't be acceptable is wrong. Rhyno/Rhino is a perfect example that changing one letter is acceptable. Christian Cage is another, they didn't even change the spelling of the name they just gave him a last name. Again, I don't know if this is a nessesary feature but if you are against it you need a better argument for why that is.

it's "copyright" As in, you own the rights to the copy. Also, you can't "copyright" a name. You can only "copyright" the visual text itself. The appearance of the text. Hence the term "copyright". Establishing an intellectual property and TRADEMARKING a likeness/name is another thing. Marvel owns the "copyright" to the Marvel logo. Understand?

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;381099]it's "copyright" As in, you own the rights to the copy. Also, you can't "copyright" a name. You can only "copyright" the visual text itself. The appearance of the text. Hence the term "copyright". Establishing an intellectual property and TRADEMARKING a likeness/name is another thing. Marvel owns the "copyright" to the Marvel logo. Understand?[/QUOTE] The spelling, I understand. But you're really splitting hairs here.

not a bad idea, I actually introduced it before. Technically, I could call myself "Ice Cold" Steve Williams if I wanted to and it would not be infringement. I think the idea of copyrighting a name would be a fun side note to the game. Like the guy said earlier, have the option to turn it off, and include it in contracts somehow. I think Adam should consider this to add another aspect of his game. After all, we pay for it so we expect him to try to do tedious annoying things to make us continue to buy his software...

[QUOTE=Game;381186]After all, we pay for it so we expect him to try to do tedious annoying things to make us continue to buy his software...[/QUOTE] Wow, if I've ever seen a statement that makes less sense than that one, I really don't remember one.

[QUOTE=Akki;381101]The spelling, I understand. But you're really splitting hairs here.[/QUOTE] not at all. Trademarking/Establishing an Intellectual Property, is related to patented nature such as character concepts, mannerisms, created products, etc etc. "Copyright" refers to who owns the right of "copy". Copy being text, graphics etc. That's what copy is. So establishing a copyright means you own the rights of the copy. The text, the color, and the design go into making the "copy". WWE can't sue you for saying "WWE" but they can sue you for making money off their scratch logo design. Get where I'm going here?

OK, I undestand. But in terms of the game, and really in terms of most things in wrestling, it's splitting hairs. Anything WWE copyrights is also trademarked by them. In fact, it is also possible to trademark a specific design, as evidenced by the USPTO website.

[quote=Wildcat;381064]I don't know if this is a nessesary addition or not, but the argument that people could simply change a letter and in real life it wouldn't be acceptable is wrong. Rhyno/Rhino is a perfect example that changing one letter is acceptable. Christian Cage is another, they didn't even change the spelling of the name they just gave him a last name. Again, I don't know if this is a nessesary feature but if you are against it you need a better argument for why that is.[/quote] Rhyno vs. Rhino - he went as Rhino before he signed on with WWE. The 'E' changed it for either one (probably most) of a few reasons. First, to separate him from his ECW days. Second, to be able to copyright the name "Rhyno" for their own use. Third, to avoid potential lawsuits from Marvel over the use of Rhino (see: Spiderman villan "The Rhino") ... and since they'd had to deal with Marvel over "Hulk" Hogan and White Wolf Comics over "Gangrel" ... and let's not forget those friggin' tree, er, huggers the World Wildlife Fund ... and that was over a simple logo change. Christian Cage was a trademarked name from Jay Reso's previous life as an independant wrestler. The 'E' dropped the last name because they wanted to team him up with his regular tag partner who was no longer going by the name of "Sexton Hardcastle", rather, but as "Edge" ... keeping the "Cage" last name would have implied that it was Edge Cage and Christian Cage as the tag team, since they were being billed as brothers. "Edge and Christian" flows better than "Edge and Christian Cage" ...

[QUOTE=Wildcat;381064]I don't know if this is a nessesary addition or not, but the argument that people could simply change a letter and in real life it wouldn't be acceptable is wrong. ... Again, I don't know if this is a nessesary feature but if you are against it you need a better argument for why that is.[/QUOTE] You seem to be missing the point (just because you can think of two examples against it doesn't mean the argument is invalid, that's for sure); what you've ignored is the real issue, which is that a computer can not understand text, and therefore can not apply reasoning to it - which is why this suggestion would never work. If you trademarked "Shawn Michaels" for example, a computer can not reason what variations would fall under that; it has no way of knowing that "Sean Michaels", "Shawn Michaels" (two spaces between the names), "HBK Shawn Michaels", "Shawn Micheals", "Shawn Michaells", etc, etc (and that's without even going into how adding an accenting letter would be different too), are all virtually synonyms for all intensive purposes. There are workarounds to some parts of it, like checking that there's a "The" before it or not to mean that "Undertaker" and "The Undertaker" would be treated as one item, but it simply isn't worth it to have lots of complex code to check every name for a feature that doesn't actually add very much at all to the game and can easily be worked around.

Archived