TNA impact story mode info (spoilers)

mystic

found on the tna website [QUOTE]Courtesy of [url]www.wrestlinggamers.com[/url], the below is an exclusive interview with one of the makers of the upcoming TNA/Midway "iMPACT!" video game, coming this summer! In the interview, Turmell talks at length about the making of the game as well as some exclusive details:[/QUOTE] story mode spoiler below (highlight to read) [COLOR="White"]It was announced that the season mode in "TNA Impact" will be based on a created wrestler, how will the season mode work? in terms of storylines, how much "freedom" will the player get? Mark: Yes, the Create a Wrestler mode is at the heart of our story mode. Instead of doing a standard Season Mode, we chose to tell a story about the inner workings and power struggle within TNA. The Story Mode begins with a man who's been beaten to the edge of death, had his body dumped in Tijuana Mexico, and awakes in a Plastic Surgeons office not knowing who he is or how he got there. From there the player must re-establish his identity, recover his memories, and fight back to gain was rightfully his in TNA. The player has many choices as he creates his wrestler, expands his move set, and attempts to become a TNA Champion.[/COLOR] [url]http://www.tnawrestling.com/content/view/601/84/[/url]

Oh, for the love of bleeding baby Jesus. Season > Story in almost every way possible, unless you go the way of No Mercy. Let's just get a RAW2-styled season mode in one of these games, and with multiplayer. That'd be something. But seriously. I'd rather this not happen. I'd really rather this not happen. I had faith in you, TNA Impact. A lot of faith.

Does no one remember WMXIX's story "Revenge" mode? Same sort of ridiculous concept, only with [B]throwing construction workers off high places to their deaths[/B]. Not so TNA-exclusive now, huh? I agree with Thom - me and my mates still play Raw 2 because of its 4p season.

Guest Ransik
The concept might suck... but it's a hell of a lot better than every single year of "your ultimate goal is to Main Event Wrestlemania which includes whacky storylines that were obviously vetoed from ever being used on TV because they suck so badly". Hmmm... maybe this concept is one of those ideas that got nixed. Haha.

[QUOTE=Ransik;386875]The concept might suck... but it's a hell of a lot better than every single year of "your ultimate goal is to Main Event Wrestlemania which includes whacky storylines that were obviously vetoed from ever being used on TV because they suck so badly". Hmmm... maybe this concept is one of those ideas that got nixed. Haha.[/QUOTE] I wonder what your response would have been if this were for the next SvR game.

[QUOTE=Moe Hunter;386858]Does no one remember WMXIX's story "Revenge" mode? Same sort of ridiculous concept, only with [B]throwing construction workers off high places to their deaths[/B]. Not so TNA-exclusive now, huh? I agree with Thom - me and my mates still play Raw 2 because of its 4p season.[/QUOTE] I should get another season started with my people. The only problem is that the game is kind of glitchy at times... I mean, I dropped [B]an anvil[/B] on Lita and she still ended up winning the World Heavyweight title. Or that one time Scott Steiner ran in on one of my title matches (because he hated me, to the point that he'd attack me every time I tried to rest) and ended up the champion despite the fact that he wasn't even in the match... I swear, I wanted to hex edit that game to get the bugs out so bad. Anyway. I was hoping the TNA game might give us multiplayer season, but I guess it was not to be. I hope the gameplay is decent, though... I mean, I really don't want to pull my hair out after renting this one like I ended up doing with most, if not all, of the SvR games.

I'll give the story something. It sounds fun. Might even stir up some real emotions... by which I mean righteous fury. They're trying something outside the box and, well, I like gimmicky crap in wrestling, so I'l keeping an open mind.

I don't get what all this bashing is about. The story mode is create a wrestler only, big deal. At the start he gets attacked, then you get to recreate his entire look. Ok, still can't see anything LOL worthy. Then you get to fight to get the TNA World Title........just like any other game. Seriously, I bet you lot are just bashing it for the sake of it being anything TNA. I mean hell, what exactly is there to laugh at? It sounds very promising tbh.

[QUOTE=robertocarlos87;386961]I don't get what all this bashing is about. The story mode is create a wrestler only, big deal. At the start he gets attacked, then you get to recreate his entire look. Ok, still can't see anything LOL worthy. Then you get to fight to get the TNA World Title........just like any other game. Seriously, I bet you lot are just bashing it for the sake of it being anything TNA. I mean hell, what exactly is there to laugh at? It sounds very promising tbh.[/QUOTE] I don't think it's an anti-TNA thing. I think it's an anti-Sports Entertainment thing. I'm assuming the same people who don't like this are the ones who hate Hornswaggle, and rename characters in TEW to go under their real names. They're the ones who wish Wrestling was treated as a Sport, instead of a Pantamine/Stunt Show. It's a valid stance, albeit one I don't fully agree with.

Guest Ransik
Afro... I was being sarcastic. I didn't even incorporate the whole "it's a CAW so he goes to a plastic surgeon to recreate what he looks like". That's actually pretty original... but still not great. I dunno, on one hand it's a good idea, but not for a wrestling game.

[QUOTE=Thomnipotent;386893]I should get another season started with my people. The only problem is that the game is kind of glitchy at times... I mean, I dropped [B]an anvil[/B] on Lita and she still ended up winning the World Heavyweight title. Or that one time Scott Steiner ran in on one of my title matches (because he hated me, to the point that he'd attack me every time I tried to rest) and ended up the champion despite the fact that he wasn't even in the match... I swear, I wanted to hex edit that game to get the bugs out so bad. Anyway. I was hoping the TNA game might give us multiplayer season, but I guess it was not to be. I hope the gameplay is decent, though... I mean, I really don't want to pull my hair out after renting this one like I ended up doing with most, if not all, of the SvR games.[/QUOTE] Wow, you are truly aligned with my style. Anyone who's dropped an anvil gets huge respect from me. Most people try to argue with me when I say there's an anvil in the game. Fools. Yeah the interference winning bug is bizzare and frustrating, but we tend to avoid it fairly well. Actually the computer has never won this way for us, it's been when one of us interferes on another player's title match. Hilarious results for everyone but the loser! Lately we've been finding that the PvP is really very good. Minister Whitey actually managed to finally get title shots against both me and my brother (we'd been holding the top belts for many season years), and narrowly beat me (at like 9:42. I should have just left the ring!) and shockingly got a fairly quick victory over DVK, although that too was a very even matchup. What level are you in the Hall of Fame? We've got it to the 2500 level, almost at 5000 where we assume it will go up again. Although I'd hate to think how long it would take to reach the final level, we're already 11 years into Season, stolen everything, had over 100 people in a Royal Rumble, etc... Anywho back to TNA. Did no one read DOWNLOADABLE WRESTLERS? That alone kills the thing people have been bashing it about "oh there's only 25 guys, it'll suck". Yeah 25 to start with in the basic roster, plus hidden/unlockable guys, and THEN downloadable updates. That kicks ass. SvR would rather have the roster update as the sole good feature in any given year.

Guest Ransik
Well I guess I'll have to get X-Box Live for a month to nab the new wrestlers. Sounds awesome. Does anyone know what happened with SvR 2008 and it's downloadable wrestlers? I heard about it ALL through development and it never happened.

[QUOTE=Ransik;387165]Well I guess I'll have to get X-Box Live for a month to nab the new wrestlers. Sounds awesome. Does anyone know what happened with SvR 2008 and it's downloadable wrestlers? I heard about it ALL through development and it never happened.[/QUOTE] I heard hopes and rumors, but I'm pretty sure THQ never planned/announced it. Their games aren't designed for longevity, they've got an annual series to maintain.

[QUOTE=Moe Hunter;387027]Wow, you are truly aligned with my style. Anyone who's dropped an anvil gets huge respect from me. Most people try to argue with me when I say there's an anvil in the game. Fools. Yeah the interference winning bug is bizzare and frustrating, but we tend to avoid it fairly well. Actually the computer has never won this way for us, it's been when one of us interferes on another player's title match. Hilarious results for everyone but the loser! Lately we've been finding that the PvP is really very good. Minister Whitey actually managed to finally get title shots against both me and my brother (we'd been holding the top belts for many season years), and narrowly beat me (at like 9:42. I should have just left the ring!) and shockingly got a fairly quick victory over DVK, although that too was a very even matchup. What level are you in the Hall of Fame? We've got it to the 2500 level, almost at 5000 where we assume it will go up again. Although I'd hate to think how long it would take to reach the final level, we're already 11 years into Season, stolen everything, had over 100 people in a Royal Rumble, etc...[/QUOTE] Other anvil victims of mine: Ric Flair, Kane. PvP is okay, but everyone keeps getting frustrated trying to take me out. I remember using a particular running elbow drop that I was always try to get heat for (ELBOW DROP OF DOOM!), which was a lot of fun. And we'd always end up talking over the promo segments for our people. It got the point that my girlfriend was playing with us; our characters were dating, but Eddie Guerrero kept on going on dates with her as well. So, yeah... that opened up quite the feud. Man, I miss that game. Has anybody tried running RAW2 on the XBOX360? Does it work decently, and can you still use custom music? ANYWAY, back on topic. Quote from the interview... "and great animations which make the players wince with pain and laugh at their outrageousness." Laugh at their outrageousness? Crap. What I do like is the DLC roster stuff, very cool idea. they also seem to be capturing a ton of moves, which is going to be great. I do agree with their notion that the SvR games lack that smoothness and crispness, and am curious to see what they've done to combat those problems. All in all, I'll definitely rent it; buying, though, I don't know. We'll have to see how absolutely amazing the gameplay and CAW stuff is first. I forget what level I am in the Hall of Fame. Pretty far, though, although my XBOX has been replaced by an XBOX360 so that data is long dead. Kind of a shame, but I'm willing to start from the top.

The TNA storymode sounds cheesey, but then I quite like the sound of it. And despite sounding far better in theory, I haven't really enjoyed SvR's road to Wrestlemania style seasons with storylines written by 'real WWE writers' for every installment since HCTP, they're just a necessary evil of unlocking game content. Ironically, once I've unlocked pretty much everything, I usually don't play on the game anymore since I've tired of it by then. Something different certainly wouldn't hurt. Ah RAW 2... I think I still have that somewhere. It's sad when I remember some of the great features to that game (even if it wasn't that good overall) such as the huge roster, ability to edit superstars, setting random traps in the strangely disjointed story mode where you could win a triple threat match, yet one of the losers would somehow acquire the title for the next scene... then they made SvR a multiplatform game and ditched the far more enjoyable Day Of Reckoning series to boot.

Archived