Doesn't it piss you off.....?

AfRoMaN36

When you're at a job where you bust your ass for hours on end. Week in, week out. getting zero recondition for it, but just when you give yourself 5 seconds for yourself, a boss catches you doing it and you get in trouble? Today I got in trouble because while I was on break, I checked my phone for the time to make sure I didnt go back in late. One of my idiot bosses saw me because the door to the break room is forcibly open due to them being paranoid. Apparently, checking my time on my cell violates a no electronics policy. I swear to god, I bust my ass for that job and I've come such a long way since I started. But despite being ranked just BEHIND the boss in my specific job, I will never get the respect I deserve because I get written up for the absolute dumbest crap. Never work for retail folks. Worst move you can make.

I'd look up the labor laws in your state. I know here in Delaware your employer is not allowed to tell you what you can and can not do during your break (even in thier break room) as long as it is not 1. illegal, 2. cause danger or imminent harm to those who may be around you. 3. create an unfriendly work environment. 4. Cost your employer time or money. 3 & 4 are kinda fuzzy. they mean you can't be actively harassing your co-workers, and that you can't plug stuff in as the electricity you're using doesn't belong to you. (those are just rough examples) thus in your state their "no electronics rule" may be in violation of state break codes.

Guest Ransik
I'd go above your boss' head and complain... while looking for a new job. The one rule I think is ridiculous where I work is no one can use their cell in the break room. The floor I can understand cause the cells disrupt our phones.... but 30 feet away in another room? Hardly. But yet... the bosses can use their cells in the break room. One person got written up for checking their text messages during lunch from a woman who was using her cell in the break room an hour earlier.

I work at a Forever 21 in Manhattan as a Stock Associate. Thats not the same as a stock boy who makes minimum wage and who stocks shelves. I'm well paid to do pretty much everything but manager work. We're looked under with a microscope. And I've taken that nonsense for a year. I should be able to check the goddamned time on my cellphone when I'm on break. Because should I come in late because I don't have the time, I will get in trouble anyway. Good idea in checking the labor laws. That a stupid rule.

I worked for a bank for year, who told me that my lunch break was 15 minutes but that i had to record it as "30" minutes for legal reasons, but that my 15 minute morning break along with my 15 lunch break, made up the required "30 min" break. hmm, i left on very bad terms with the company, i found out after accepting a new job, that if you don't get 30 uninterupted minutes you techinically got no lunch at all, and should be paid for the whole period, even including the break portion. and that law in my state required 2, 15 minute break on top of the 30 minutes alotted for lunch. I called osha on my way out the door. I'm not saying your in that kind of situation, i'm just saying companies tend to ignore labor laws, or in many cases the people making the rules are ignorant of those laws. so do your self a favor and educate yourself on the laws in your city, county and state.

[QUOTE=Self;387837]The No Cell-Phone rule seems a little odd, but one question. Don't you wear a watch? Or isn't there a clock in the break room?[/QUOTE] Who the hell wears a watch these days? And clocks? Those things are up on walls and crap and anyone who plays TEW has probably ruined their distance vision by now.

[QUOTE=Self;387837]The No Cell-Phone rule seems a little odd, but one question. Don't you wear a watch? Or isn't there a clock in the break room?[/QUOTE] I'm going to chime in here and say that.,... It really doesn't matter what he was doing with his cell phone on HIS break. There has to be a policy in effect or something that says "No Cell Phones" allowed for him to have actually done anything wrong (on his break). The only thing I can see wrong is if he hooked it up to charge. I've seen this many times. Best thing to do for anyone in similar situations is to write it down. I hate to say taking a little black book to work for the sole purpose of writing down each time you have been mistreated, but in the long run... You should be aware that this is the best thing you can do. Make sure you date it, and time it. Once you have a good amount on there, you have a form of "evidence". Also, if you can get a co-worker (sometimes hard to do) to sign as a witness on any of it, you have even MORE evidence. Going over his head might be something to look into as well.... Tell HIS supervisor that your definately thinking about starting to write down every time your mistreated (wrote up for no reason, weather just verbal or not). Above all, realise that you don't have to take what your supervisor's dish out, if it's unfair treatment. I'm not talking about... Well, someone's having a bad day and being unfair to me. I'm talking about the daily "little" things. They add up, and most supervisor's think they have the "upper" hand, because of their position of power. However, anything they do to you afterward (after you have stuck up for yourself with notes and dates, etc.), will be almost impossible for them to "Proove" that it wasn't an outright attack against you for sticking up for yourself. You can still lose your job, however... They will have to pay workman's compensation if you have prooved your point.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;387839]Who the hell wears a watch these days? And clocks? Those things are up on walls and crap and anyone who plays TEW has probably ruined their distance vision by now.[/QUOTE] Wait. When did watches go out of style? I find them WAY more practical than my phone or iPod to find out the time. I honestly feel naked without a watch on. Not in a good way. Although, none of the 7 people I lived with in College wore a watch. I would constantly get asked for the time, even after I bought a few clocks to put on the walls. I'm no labour law expert. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been using his phone, I'm just surprised that he was using it in that way. P.S. My phone doesn't even get reception where I work, so I never take it. May be where my blind spot is coming from.

My watch broke, conviniently during work. I'll probably bring that in during my write up and show them I didnt really have a choice. And their is a clock in the microwave in the break room but its constantly off by some different amount. No one else was wearing a watch in the break room. And the black book thing doesnt sound like a bad idea and probably would work if it werent for the fact that corporate will 99.9% of the time side with the managers. In retail anyone trying to fight for some sort of right will often just get fired. Probabaly one of the reasons my stores franshise has been sued millions of times.

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;388030]My watch broke, conviniently during work. I'll probably bring that in during my write up and show them I didnt really have a choice. And their is a clock in the microwave in the break room but its constantly off by some different amount. No one else was wearing a watch in the break room. And the black book thing doesnt sound like a bad idea and probably would work if it werent for the fact that corporate will 99.9% of the time side with the managers. In retail anyone trying to fight for some sort of right will often just get fired. Probabaly one of the reasons my stores franshise has been sued millions of times.[/QUOTE] The Black book thing works "after" the fact as well. Let's say you go over his head, and you end up getting fired for being bold enough to stand up for yourself. That book is now something you can use for an outside case. Just make sure your right. Fortunately, the employee is ussually right.. especially if they go all out. I would also check into other area's. Perhaps he doesn't like Latino's or something. Alot of times that's something that is hard to tell. Also, the fact that many use it when it doesn't apply ("He's picking on me because I'm ____"), makes it hard to go down that route when it's actually part of the reason. The main thing is to change your way of thinking.... You have to "cover" your own butt sometimes. This black book can do that. They fire you and then "After the fact" you start bringing up things, they can say "He's just mad because we fired him". However, you keep that little book (don't even have to let them know about it), and keep track of everything you think matter's, you will have a leg to stand on, and possibly legal grounds to at least make it worth your while. Now don't get me wrong... If I had every employee complain about me whenever I'm just stressed out and sometimes might take it out on them a bit... I would go completely nuts. That's just being whiny. However, I don't think this is the case with you. I think you have an employer that bassically just looks for things he can find wrong with you because he feels threatened by you. For what? I don't know. Might be racist, might be religious, and it could possibly be he's afraid you can do his job better then him if given half the chance. So cover your own butt. Feel confident that you can back yourself up if indeed he goes for a three strikes your out thing or something. A formal write up is how we get rid of employee's that have serious problems, or just can't cut it. It can also be used to "grab" someone's attention to let them know they can't get away with murder as well, but you think they could be a great worker if they would concentrate. Some employer's use it as leverage to "dominate" the employee's. The saying "It's good to be King" is something I have found to be a "tell tell" sign of someone like that. They think they are where they are, and you where you are because they are better (or at least try to tell you that). It's not the case most of the time. It's a matter of time and luck in quite a few case's. Just don't let them use little tiny BS things to take away your job. If you back yourself up with paperwork, then you can use it later down the road. Also, don't forget to try to get a witness or two, even if it's him.

Archived