Could TEW08 have scouts?

I know that you can look through the workers yourself to find new talent. I think it would be good if you could send a respected road agent or veteren wrestler out to a certain promotion to scout wrestlers. You could then get a report saying for example- The performances of Juvi Guerrera in (federations name here) have been of good quality he would fit well in our X-Division and would surely have decent matches with Jay Lethal, Sanjay Dutt and AJ Styles. I recommend signing him to a PPA contract for a few months to see if he fits in well. One potential problem is the workers known to be an egomaniac and difficult to work with although if we could tame him he would be a grea tbenefit to our promotion. I realise this idea is not a necessity but I would like it as there are some wrestlers I do not know about in a real life mod as I tend to just watch ROH, TNA and WWE. What do you think bad idea or good idea?

But what benefit does this have, that you can't get from just searching the other workers section? In your example - you'd filter it by male, active wrestler, available (contract), and having >C+ aerial ability (to fit in the X Division), maybe by wrestling style as well (super junior / luchadore / spot monkey / cruiserweight) - and up would pop a list of wrestlers with Juvi in it - so you've now got a list of x number of wrestlers that are suitable (rather than 1) and if you want to check their personality - you just go into their profile and take a closer look - which you would do in any case, cos there would be no point in signing the guy without looking properly, and then finding that he has just suffered a broken neck and is out for 14 months!!!

I see your point I just like a bit of realism and I am sure the big federations must send people out to scout for talent. Although I suppose it is the search that simulates scouting, I would prefer to send people out to recommend other workers. Then again maybe I am thinking from a football sort of view lol.

that would actually be a good idea actually. think about it. for the guys that you want to sign and go sign them BUT, you could have a scout go and check out other promotions to check out the potential of anyone else. the scout would have to be retired or have been in the business for x amount of years.

[QUOTE=alden;390746]I think the draw back to this is a issue of "reality". Just because a fan has not heard of a wrestler does not mean a company has not. Believe me, anyone that the wwe would ever EVER be intrested in is know to them.[/QUOTE] Unless it's Milanito Collection AT.

I've suggested scouts before and I found most people don't see the point of it. But, how about if there was like a fog of war where certain stats are invisible unless you know the worker or have seen him working. How about some stats appear wrong because a worker's reputation makes him appear better (or worse) than he really is. For Example Wrestler X has a reputation as great monster heel so you hire him on a the basis of his reputation and fins out that he's a completely uselss lump and only 2 foot tall. If you scout him before hand, say over 3 shows, you'll gradually learn more about him and you'll know before hand that he's more of a monster midget!

[QUOTE=Jouzy;390784]Unless it's Milanito Collection AT.[/QUOTE] I think they would know about him. As I said before wrestling is more about networking then scouting. All WWE would have to do to see Milanito is go to Funaki to get him to work a dark match they don't need to go to an indy show. Don't try to apply a sports model to a wrestling model when it works completelly differently.

[quote=Moe Hunter;390787]Well, with my Amazing Powers of Preminition (APP for short), I can guarantee you all that in TEW08 there will be AT LEAST one Scout. I cannot, however, guarantee the Scout's inclusion for any real world mods.[/quote] I see what you did there Moe. Bravo.

I can see how the 'Fog of War' thing could be used, since you might hear that Wrestler A has great aerial skills, and takes bumps well. So you know he might have Flying skills of say B and Selling B+, and you could give him a tryout and find his Stamina is like D- That only really applies to places like WWE though I'd say Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, the sports model doesn't really fit wrestling and I could see many people not wanting this feature. However it would be pretty nifty to have as an option, like the Straight Edge of Free For All game modes. However you could always just look at their stats in the editor.... Yeah forget this feature. We'd have to wait till the next version of TEW anyway so probably not worth discussing

[QUOTE=Clabobby;390834]I think people should only suggest stuff if they play the CornellVerse. Just an opinion. :)[/QUOTE] Why? Since the CornellVerse is pretty much designed to fit the game, there isn't much that can be done to the game to make it play better. On the other hand, those who play real-world mods can have a good understanding of the kinds of things that can make the game play better overall, and to better simulate reality. Although, again, features like this, while possibly slightly realistic, would only really hamper gameplay. Also just an opinion.

[QUOTE]Fog of War... Really? We've gone from using ideas from other Sports games to using ideas from Real Time Strategy games? What's next? An ammo and health bar for each wrestler like in Shooting games? [/QUOTE] Fog of War is actually used on football manager to hide stats that can then only be revealed by scouting, although its not called fog of war. I think that is what he means. Now I have heard peoples arguments against it I see that it is not the best idea lol.

[QUOTE=Akki;390893]Why? Since the CornellVerse is pretty much designed to fit the game, there isn't much that can be done to the game to make it play better. On the other hand, those who play real-world mods can have a good understanding of the kinds of things that can make the game play better overall, and to better simulate reality. Although, again, features like this, while possibly slightly realistic, would only really hamper gameplay. Also just an opinion.[/QUOTE] Because people who only play this game for the real world mod insult Adam's hard work. Though I'm sure he doesn't care because he gets money either way.

[QUOTE=Akki;390893]Although, again, features like this, while possibly slightly realistic, would only really hamper gameplay. Also just an opinion.[/QUOTE] Totally agree. As many other have said: Playability is more important that dead-on accuracy. This seems like it would add a tiny layer of realism, but it sounds like it would make the game absolutely miserable to play whenever you thought about adding a worker to your roster. Just not fun at all. You'd be adding hours of busy work, which Adam seems to be trying very hard to get rid of.

I disagree this doesn't add realism there are no wrestling scouts. The way talented is scouted is not through scouts at all. Give me an example were a wrestler was signed to a developmental contract because of a scout? There are none. How about name some of the scouts WWE has there are none? It is all done through networking and connections.

[QUOTE=Clabobby;390933]Because people who only play this game for the real world mod insult Adam's hard work. Though I'm sure he doesn't care because he gets money either way.[/QUOTE] Yeah... It insults his hard work... Because...? Why? The only reason he even made the CornellVerse was because he couldn't distribute his product with real-world data because he probably would have gotten sued. If he didn't want people to make and play mods, real-world or not, why did he make an editor? You said he gets money either way. Duh. If he didn't include an editor or allow mods, I think about half the people who play TEW wouldn't have bought the game, and would have just stuck with EWR.

People who play real world mods bring just as much to these discussions as anyone else. And actually, since they tend to run the editor through its paces, they actually contribute quite a bit when it come sto discussions of "what stats affect what" within the game.

[QUOTE=Akki;390962]Yeah... It insults his hard work... Because...? Why?[/QUOTE] Because instead of suggesting and supporting features that would make the game better for all, they suggest and support features that only make the game play WWE better or emulate that promotion. So while Adam's trying to sift through the mountain of "do this so WWE doesn't fail no matter how crappy their shows are" to find feature ideas, he's wasting time that could be spent coding in new features that benefit all. How about a flimsy example? Let's say you're designing Madden 09. Pages and pages of suggestions are posted telling you to change the game so Shaun Alexander plays better "because he's the best back in the league". In the process of sifting through all of that, because your eyes are bleeding from the effort, you miss the suggestion about adding off-the-field and on-the-field incidents that affect player status, rule changes (the Roy Williams rule) and team morale. Maybe it'll make it in Madden 2010....by which time, it wouldn't be 'new' and 'anticipated' because it's old hat by then. You may very well be right about why the Cornellverse was created. I'm more likely to lean towards the fact that it makes much more sense for a game to [B][I]own its IP[/I][/B] rather than using an established one. Yes, you might sell more units with the established name but you're also making less money (licensing fees) and you have almost no control over your own project (since the IP owners get the final say). Ask Turbine or Mythic or Sony about that. So you're making less money (potentially), have a "boss" who can overrule anything you want to do, and you're limited as to which promotions you can even have in the game (tell me, is WWE going to allow TNA in "their" game?!). So while many might think the Cornellverse was made solely because of copyright issues, I've spoken to Adam on a few occasions. He's a pretty smart guy. I'd think he would've seen this way back when.

I can see where you're coming from, Remi. I won't really get into the whole WHY the C-Verse was created discussion other than the opinion I stated before, because as you said, Adam is smart and probably has plenty of reasons for the decision. Although I do think that WWE's contract with THQ would forbid them from authorizing a game by any other publisher, but that works for almost every sport (and other IP) games, depending on the contracts (the NFL/EA thing comes to mind). But I still think it's totally unfair to say that people who don't play the C-Verse only contribute with things that help improve WWE. I, for one, play the C-Verse maybe 25% of the time, but out of the other 75%, I will say that probably only 10% is spent playing as WWE, and only about 1% is present-day WWE. The thing is, there's plenty that real-world mod players can contribute. I honestly never cared about adding a 3rd brand (although I wasn't against it), and I think that becuse WWE is more of a media conglomerate now than just a wrestling promotion, a lot of things might not fit together. But then again, things from the real world like TV specials I think could add a little more flavor to the game. Sure, we know that WWE and WCW ran them, and that may be a reason for the idea, but that doesn't mean people can't find creative uses for them in the C-Verse. Even as someone who primarily plays real-world mods, most (if not all) the features I've suggested or agreed with have not been geared to WWE specifically, but to the game world and promotions in general. Just to sum up, I agree that people who only suggest stuff that simulates the WWE (like if someone suggested that you could open a movie division) should probably broaden their outlook. But to say that anyone who doesn't play the C-Verse has nothing to contribute to the game is just stupid. And I still don't think that playing real world mods insults Adam. If he felt insulted, he would probably take out the editor. Also, for having such an awesome IP like the C-Verse, it kinda astounds me that there isn't actual merchandise and stuff for it.

[QUOTE=Akki;391027]Just to sum up, I agree that people who only suggest stuff that simulates the WWE (like if someone suggested that you could open a movie division) should probably broaden their outlook. But to say that anyone who doesn't play the C-Verse has nothing to contribute to the game is just stupid. And I still don't think that playing real world mods insults Adam. If he felt insulted, he would probably take out the editor.[/QUOTE] I'll agree with that. I've played the C-Verse a fair bit but I still can't get into it long-term, I prefer the familiarity of the real world. I guarantee if it was completely impossible to mod and add the real world, the TEW series would not sell well. It would sell to a small die-hard fanbase for wrestling sims, but the majority of the players would have stuck to EWR instead of jumping to the first TEW. As stated, Adam isn't stupid. However, I don't think the C-Verse should be written off as just something to fill the gap so that there's something to play while you're waiting for the real world mod. In the first TEW game the C-Verse was brand new and none of us knew it well, since then it's grown and a lot of us know it well. Nobody who plays the C-Verse will say it's just filler. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, although I think a lot of these "this feature should be in the game" discussions are a bit late as the game development is in full swing. Unless there's a simple and useful idea, I don't see any of these making it in until the next version after '08. Love you all

Archived