Wii vs iPhone

AfRoMaN36

I'm currently in possesion of some excess cash. And as any young American would, I've decided to spend it right away on some inane luxuary item. Because I'm a patriot, dammit! But I can't decide between getting a ninendo wii or an apple iphone. You should all know or be familiar with both these items, but let me list some of these advantages for me personally. Wii: * It's a Wii.... Thats all that needs to be said. * I LOVE Super Smash Brothers and I actually resent that I cannot play Brawl. * Come on.....? Its an interactive controller!!! INTERACTIVE!!! WTFOMG! * I own a decent (not great) cell phone and an Ipod nano. Why bother spending $200 (where I'm getting it.) on an item that only combines the two? * Getting an iPhone would add $20 to my bill. iPhone * Wii is a party system and I'm probably the LAST guy to have friends over at his house. Not because I dont have any, but because I just dont like my social world interacting with my home world. It's like the two Georges colliding! The house needs to be empty for me to even let girlfriends in. This ofcourse, wreaks havok on my sex life. * Despite not having people over at my house, I am very social. Constantly on AIM and myspace and my texting is nonstop. I also listen to music religiously. * I rarely catch myself playing video games anymore. My X-Box 360 is the apple of my eye, but I only really play Madden and SVR on it and thats only occasionally at best. Its basically my dvd player now. * The iPhone can play games too. * The iPhone = hot women What do you guys think?

Definetely the Wii. My wife has an iphone from her work but she tends not to use it and will taker her personal phone 90% of the time. Due to her not using it I have the option to take it but I have a Nokia N96 which IMO is a superior phone and I also have my sidekick 3 which is a pain in the arse but does the job. Mabye its different in America but iphones over here dont mean hot women :p

Tough choice. I'm in a state of 'meh' about both products personally, and if I HAD to choose one, I'd be in a similar quandary. I'll just throw a few things at you for now. - Games on phones suck. Games on Mac's tend to be virtually non-existent. Surely that means the iPhone will have very few, very bad games. - You play your 360 very little? Maybe that's because SvR sucks and Madden... Okay, I don't know my Colonial Football games, but that's got to get repetitive. - I'm totally with you on the 'world's colliding' thing. I've worked very hard to keep things separate myself. - There really isn't that much on the Wii. Brawl, Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy... that's all I can think of that I would buy. With a console, you're buying for the future, dude. I'm pretty sure I'm not helping, but felt the need to reply anyway.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I say invest your extra $. Open up a Scottrade account and have fun, or if investing in stocks is something that makes you apprehensive, start a CD at your favorite investment bank. If you absolutely, positively MUST spend your $ on some entertainment, GTA IV comes out at the end of April (if you're into GTA), which may bring gaming life back to your 360. If you MUST get either a Wii or an iPhone I say get a Wii, and Super Smash Bros., if you can find a Wii. However, if the iphone = SCORING w/ hot women, then I take back everything I just said and say get an iphone. ;) ;)

Chicks dig Apple products because they know they're expensive, yet don't really offer anything extra to the consumer. Therefore, anyone owning an Apple product [I]must[/I] be rich. Chicks dig rich guys. Bow chicka bow wow. Why do you think I own an iMac?

[QUOTE=Self;391045]Chicks dig Apple products because they know they're expensive, yet don't really offer anything extra to the consumer. Therefore, anyone owning an Apple product [I]must[/I] be rich. Chicks dig rich guys. Bow chicka bow wow. Why do you think I own an iMac?[/QUOTE] Watch what your doing there Self, I had an iMac...... and I ended up married :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd wait until the fall to get an iPhone personally (a new/updated version is due in 3Q08 and it's always a good idea to wait a month or so while they work out the kinks). I have the Wii but since I'm a hardcore PC gamer, I don't use it much. Actarus gives some very sound advice. If having 'excess cash' is an unusual occurrence for you, I'd follow his advice. And Self, I haven't had a single issue with my (old as hell, second generation mini) iPod. If I had waited a few months, I would've had an iPhone (because I'm a diehard early adopter). But as it turns out, I "upgraded" to a RAZR two months before the iPhone launched and paying $600 for a phone (due to breaking my current contract, giving me no discount on the new phone) doesn't really appeal to me at all. Being able to leave my old as hell, second generation iPod Mini at home and consolidate it into my phone, would be awesome. :) But I aint crazy enough to roll with Mac, pffft! Chicks be damned! :p

[QUOTE=Self;391042] - There really isn't that much on the Wii. Brawl, Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy... that's all I can think of that I would buy. With a console, you're buying for the future, dude.[/QUOTE] Contrary to popular belief, there are tons of great games on the Wiki. They're just not over-hyped blockbusters... -Super Mario Strikers: Charged - If you like sports games (period) get this game is you get a Wii. I don't follow/have much interest in soocer, but it's addicting (even with 1 player). It has online support too, I believe, so you can face others online. -Geometry Wars: Galaxies - Awesome... Best arcade-style game ever. Not like some quirky thing that some people like; it's universally addictive and fun! Plus, it's $40. And, those are just two! Keep in mind: Brawl has online support as well, and it's free. Although it is mostly a party game, I just finished Subspace Emissary (the adventure aspect of Brawl) and it took 10 hours... Good story too! So, you'll have plenty of fun alone... My friend has an iPhone, and it gets old pretty soon. It's a bunch of mediocre apps added together in one easily destructible, obviously steal-able package! I'd say Wii... It has years of fun available now, and I can see plenty more in the near and distant future. The iPhone is handy, but not worth such a minor upgrade from what you have!

This has only really succeeded in making both products seem more attractive. The Wii is incredibly hard to obtain first of all and most stores only carry enough to sell out at the end of the day anyway. Getting one would mean me having to go to the source, Nintendo store, in order to get one. As for the iPhone, I will save some money and buy a refurbrished one. Same as the new kinds just made out of old cell phone parts so its cheaper. I'll also get GTA 4 when it comes out along with the new MLB 2K (despite that series being a horrendous dissapointment each and every year. Only succeeding in pleasing me when they forced EA out of baseball.) I do want to save money for the future, but my future endevors only include getting my full drivers license which must wait till the summer due to a schedule so restricted, I cant take any classes until then. And yes, iPhone often means attention from the ladies. Simply because women like expensive items. Butr I suppose down the line, I'll be getting both items anyway.... Whichever one first is the question. I need to make up my mind by tomorrow however.

Yeah excess cash became such a big deal to me lately since school started again combining with reduced hours at work and increased bill paying. By the grace of god I found a way to have extra money. Saving it could be a third option as I always like to have a breathing room of above a thousand dollars before I go spending money on luxury items and I'm not quite there yet.

If you really want to be patriotic, iPhone is an American product. Then again, unless you're willing to pay the monthly cost for the internet access on the iPhone, definetely get the Wii. If you DO want to pay the monthly cost, I dunno. Both are good products.

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;391038] I rarely catch myself playing video games anymore. My X-Box 360 is the apple of my eye, but I only really play Madden and SVR on it and thats only occasionally at best. Its basically my dvd player now. [/QUOTE] if you rarely play video games now then why buy a Wii? I have a Wii and a 360 and if I had to choose it would be the 360 anyday. the Wii is fun at first but it really old pretty quick I also find the controller annoying to use at times plus I dont really like the game range for the Wii but hey thats just me I really cant say anything about the Iphone as we dont even have it yet :(

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;391038]I'm currently in possesion of some excess cash. And as any young American would, I've decided to spend it right away on some inane luxuary item. * Wii is a party system and I'm probably the LAST guy to have friends over at his house. Not because I dont have any, but because I just dont like my social world interacting with my home world. It's like the two Georges colliding! The house needs to be empty for me to even let girlfriends in. This ofcourse, wreaks havok on my sex life. [/QUOTE] I think the top quote is perhaps the defining moment of your generation. Never have I seen the spirit of the times summed up so well. The second makes me think you may be the bizarro world version of me, only black and with money. Oh yeah advice, don't ask me I'm a boring bastard who would save it and then somehow let all the money get eaten up by stupid little expenses or emergencies.

Man, as soon as Brawl comes out in AU (we're talking years... We still don't have a release date), I'm buying me a Wii... Which is good, because by then, I might have actually saved some money, as opposed to spending it all before my next paycheck comes in.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;391141] Oh yeah advice, don't ask me I'm a boring bastard who would save it and then somehow let all the money get eaten up by stupid little expenses or emergencies.[/QUOTE] Suuure grandpa. And I'm sure the commies are all out to get you too...

Well, I opted on saving the money for now. Probably the most sound of moves I have since my credit card bill is comming and it was nearly maxed out. Gunna create some breathing space before I spurge on anything. I'd like to eventually get both products, get my teeth bleached. (They are pretty yellow despite brushing and flossing like a madman) And I'd like to save up for my drivers test. Figure that while an Iphone.... or any Apple product goes out of style every six months or so; hurting the amount of chicks I can get with it, perfect teeth and a car last forever.

Dear god, if you have to deal with the MTA... then yes, their is a point to it. The buses are filthy and runed down and smell of urine. The subway system is worse too. Filled with inconviniences. Local trains suddenly going express and express trains suddenly going local. And they never tell you this until the doors have already closed and theirs no way out. Once you miss one, you may as well call in late for work too.... oh wait.... cell phones dont work underground. May aswell start typing up that write up. Pick pockets, gangs and the homeless also make their homes on the subway system, but I can accept the latter because atleast at one point, they were contributing to society. And the workers.... god the workers. Biggest bunch of whiners on the planet. I used to work at a Subway restaurant across the street from an MTA building and we used to always get workers there. They had the nastiest attitudes and even the cool ones would just whine about how much their job sucks...... I was making their sandwiches and they complaining to me how THEIR job sucks. Then they have the gall to go on strike to demand higher pay during the last holiday season. Forcing me for nearly a week to walk to school because in my bleak school situation, I couldnt afford to miss those days of school. Combine this with frequent fare hikes for shoddy service, and yes.... I'd rather pay more for gas then to deal with the MTA. I have had it with them and only turn to them for my commute because I have to. But I see your point of view. Outsiders love to get to the city to DITCH their cars, while Natives get cars to DITCH the MTA.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;391141]I think the top quote is perhaps the defining moment of your generation. Never have I seen the spirit of the times summed up so well.[/QUOTE] I don't think that's fair. My generation (Gen X, raised during "The Me Decade") is the exact same way. We were the ones who were the first to really learn the beauty of "pay as you go" and "unlimited credit". Heck, I remember friends going off to college at 18 in (used) Mercedes 190Es that they could barely pay the note on and eat at the same time. I think the difference between his and my generations are the fact that while the country pushed us to make money in bunches (think: junk bonds, insider trading, market speculation), the country actively wants to kill and/or maim his generation. [QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;391322]Dear god, if you have to deal with the MTA... then yes, their is a point to it. The buses are filthy and runed down and smell of urine. The subway system is worse too. Filled with inconviniences. Local trains suddenly going express and express trains suddenly going local. And they never tell you this until the doors have already closed and theirs no way out. Once you miss one, you may as well call in late for work too.... oh wait.... cell phones dont work underground. May aswell start typing up that write up. Pick pockets, gangs and the homeless also make their homes on the subway system, but I can accept the latter because atleast at one point, they were contributing to society. And the workers.... god the workers. Biggest bunch of whiners on the planet. I used to work at a Subway restaurant across the street from an MTA building and we used to always get workers there. They had the nastiest attitudes and even the cool ones would just whine about how much their job sucks...... I was making their sandwiches and they complaining to me how THEIR job sucks. Then they have the gall to go on strike to demand higher pay during the last holiday season. Forcing me for nearly a week to walk to school because in my bleak school situation, I couldnt afford to miss those days of school. Combine this with frequent fare hikes for shoddy service, and yes.... I'd rather pay more for gas then to deal with the MTA. I have had it with them and only turn to them for my commute because I have to. But I see your point of view. Outsiders love to get to the city to DITCH their cars, while Natives get cars to DITCH the MTA.[/QUOTE] I'm native and I don't have a car to avoid the MTA. Yes, there are problems with the system. But then again, I've lived in Houston where their bus lines are so long and circuitous, it takes two hours to go from one part of town to another. Think of it taking you two hours to get from Harlem or Inwood to Times Square. I drive a 1998 Toyota Corolla that I bought brand spankin' new and over the last four years, I've contemplated buying a new car. I've even had weekend loaners from various dealerships (I returned the Maserati Quattroporte after 3 hrs because I was deathly afraid to drive it to Brooklyn. Plus, I'd never buy such an ostentatious vehicle). I'll probably buy a new car this year (V DUB!) since I plan to move to Charlotte. One of the reasons for the move is so I CAN get to drive more. My car is almost 11 years old.....with 52000 miles on it. If I want to drive to Pennsylvania to go shopping, I rent a car. But I think you've fallen for the okey doke with regard to the transit strike. Tell me, have you noticed that fewer trains have conductors now? The new trains don't need a human to announce stops and open doors. But they've forgotten another aspect of the conductor position that automated trains can't handle. A union's job is to make sure people don't get cast aside without cause or compensation. Also, you're forgetting that the MTA promised its unions pay raises for 5 years running and that these people worked without a contract for two years. Seriously, stop letting newspapers form your viewpoint. If you were in their position, you too would choose the single most disruptive period to strike, as that gives you the biggest impact. By the way, in the last year, British Airways and Air France's unions did the exact same thing. Where's the outrage? Funny how as soon as they walked out, the MTA was all too happy to talk new deal. Your boss promises you raises for 5 years then makes you work for the exact same money you've been making for 2 years (inflation and cost of living be damned) and you'd continue to be a happy lil worker bee? Come on.

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;391244]Probably the most sound of moves I have since my credit card bill is comming and it was nearly maxed out. Gunna create some breathing space before I spurge on anything.[/QUOTE] See, this to me looks like a debt. You don't have any spare money at all. Pay that off before the interest hits.

Just giving my worthless two cents. Get the Wii. Just got Brawl and it is so worth it. I, sadly, must say that I bought it back in December just before the first supposed launch of Brawl just for that game (and hopefully others after it). I know, guilty of buying without foresight. Sue me. Still, I say the Wii is worth it in the long run. iPhones will probably have a successor within two years (maybe less considering how fast they churn those out). Wii will be around for at least five before the Nintendo Boosch (Wii counterpart) comes out. I'm just saying. By the way, no idea what coming out on the Boosch. ;)

Archived