Scouting - An Answer?

Scouting is something which has been suggested right from the first TEW and it has always met with the same split response. I can't see it ever being added as a traditional scout feature. However I think it could be worked into the game in one way or another. My idea would be to make it easier for big companies (only those on a national or global level) to hire local talent for dark matches etc. In reality WWE uses local wrestlers that they might be interested in hiring from the area they're working in for dark matches. Personally I have always had trouble in recreating this in the game (i.e. workers won't sign for single event deals unless they're unemployed). If it was easier for big promotions to sign local workers for the one night that they are in the area this could be a substitute for scouting in the conventional sense. This would avoid the whole scouting is unrealistic argument by replacing it with a known method that is used in the real world. Any thoughts? Cheers Stratos.

[QUOTE=rajde;391190]There is no point in one time deals you know their stats already for that purpose.[/QUOTE] Yes the stats are available, but what will be the response to his appearance from the audience? This sounds like a proper suggestion, imo, as sending scouts doesn't seem to be a good feature. Because in reality tapes from wrestlers shouldn't be too hard to get and by that the stats should be available.

The point would be to see how they fitted in with the roster and their general attitude. The road agent report could point out if they fitted in well in the back. For example if a guy comes in for a one night deal and ends up offending half the roster you're obviously going to think twice about hiring them. To offer a real life example (although I admit not a great one) take Teddy Hart, he has worked for plenty of big promotions including WWE but hasn't got a deal because his attitude (by all accounts) stinks. Anyway its just a thought for a compromise between those that want to see scouting in the game and those that don't. Cheers Stratos. Edit - and what bus said! lol

I think this is definetely a more valid suggestion than the other systems, and I wouldn't mind. Maybe you'll find out that they have really good chemistry with one of your workers and can put on a really good match, or something like that. I doubt I'd use it often, but it's not a bad idea.

I've had a negative opinion of the other suggestions regarding scouts but this seems like an easy, workable suggestion that could be useful for large companies if only for this purpose: [QUOTE=The Bus;391191]Yes the stats are available, [B]but what will be the response to his appearance from the audience? [/B][/QUOTE] Throw in the possibility of finding some decent chemistry and over-all this seems like a pretty good suggestion/idea.

And here I was thinking I'd be screaming this is the 3rd thread about scouts, but it's actually a pretty sound idea. Not one I think I'd be too fussed on using, but I wouldn't see the harm in it. A lot of guys like Colt Cabana and Ace Steel who were doing fine on the Indy scene still worked WWE dark matches, because who wouldn't want to work for the biggest wrestling company in America? Now they're on Development deals (or used to be at least)

[QUOTE=cyberkitten01;391259]And here I was thinking I'd be screaming this is the 3rd thread about scouts, but it's actually a pretty sound idea. Not one I think I'd be too fussed on using, but I wouldn't see the harm in it. A lot of guys like Colt Cabana and Ace Steel who were doing fine on the Indy scene still worked WWE dark matches, because who wouldn't want to work for the biggest wrestling company in America? Now they're on Development deals (or used to be at least)[/QUOTE] Yeah, and Claudio Castagnoli played a cop in a WWE segment, and got a developmental deal. He was cut loose pretty quickly, but still.

[QUOTE=rajde;391278]The point I would make is that instead of a fog of war you should just have misleading stats. For example, have a guy that has C charisma have misleading showing B- or something until you scout him.[/QUOTE] I thought we had already discussed this to death in other threads. Don't threadjack just to try to get your way.

[QUOTE=rajde;391278]The point I would make is that instead of a fog of war you should just have misleading stats. For example, have a guy that has C charisma have misleading showing B- or something until you scout him.[/QUOTE] This suggestion had nothing to do with the "fog of war" suggestion and nothing to do with stats for that matter. It's a one night try-out to see if a worker fits in front of the audience and possibly has chemistry with another worker on your roster. I like the idea and I don't think its related that much to whether or not you can see a worker's stats.

Yes, thinking about it, its something I'd like to see. I remember that John Waters or someone similar came in to WWE when they were ROH Pure champion, got punked out by Chris Masters or someone, and lost the Pure title in their next match because of it. I've always wanted to to do the one night jobber matches because (to pick an example) SmackDown often has local talent getting hammered in exhibition matches as a (re)introduction for talent getting a push. As previously noted, the chance of finding chemistry would be an added bonus. Potential drawbacks? A worker's employers wanting creative control (a la talent trades) which could affect your relationship (personal or company) with them if you ignore their wishes. A one night worker might want paying extra above their standard PPA rate. The worker might be rubbish, or go into business for themselves. You should only be able to use workers from the country you're in (a small thing, but realistic). There was something else, too - but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was...

[QUOTE=Akki;391288]I thought we had already discussed this to death in other threads. Don't threadjack just to try to get your way.[/QUOTE] There is three scouting threads right now who cares. I am saying really there has to be a purpose to scouting if you add it. If you do a fog of war it makes sense to add scouting but if you keep stats the same what is the point of adding scouting?

[QUOTE=rajde;391334]There is three scouting threads right now who cares. I am saying really there has to be a purpose to scouting if you add it. If you do a fog of war it makes sense to add scouting but if you keep stats the same what is the point of adding scouting?[/QUOTE] Jonathan Faust has the kind of stats that made me expect him to be a major player in my Ring of Fire. He did abysmally. Joey Beauchamp I expected to be weaker. He's my strongest champ. As people have said upthread; sometimes stats don't seem to be all of it.

[QUOTE=rajde;391334]There is three scouting threads right now who cares. I am saying really there has to be a purpose to scouting if you add it. If you do a fog of war it makes sense to add scouting but if you keep stats the same what is the point of adding scouting?[/QUOTE] Jesus Christ, it's like you only read your own posts. This suggestion really has very little to do with purely stats. Because..as othes have said...stats aren't the only thing that affects a worker's performance. Try reading the thread again; the idea is actually very different in both effect and implementation than the "scouting threads." Try to see past your personal bias on what would and would not work. Honestly, if this is how you "approached" Adam to be a part of the design team, I can't imagine how he didn't jump at the offer. :rolleyes:

I'd actually like the idea of a one night deal for local talent, I believe it is probably used by more than just the big companies too. I'm not sure how you'd be able to implement it though. As I would guess you'd have to contact the talent during an AM period, but you don't book the show location until the PM. Another thing would be how do you determine local talents. In TEW04 workers had a home territory, but with 05-07 they only had nationality.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really like James Caseys ideas for potential downsides. When it comes to defining local I would say just go with the area the worker is most popular in and if two stats are tied then whichever of the two was the last area they worked. Although with the game areas reduced from '04 it might be possible to re-introduce a "home area". The problem of booking talent is more difficult. For bigger promotions you could probably sign talent up for when you next visit their area. Then when you confirm the location any workers you have signed for that area become avaliable. The other way is to argue that it is actually more realistic to book an arena weeks or, in the case of major PPV's, months in advance. This would give you more time to get the talent you want to look at signed. The major downside of course is it would be a significant change to the way the game is set up, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid with my original idea. Cheers Stratos.

Archived