A Case For Hidden Stats

I have been proven wrong on the idea of scouts. They don’t exist in wrestling. I didn’t know that. I do now. But in these numerous discussions about scouting someone mentioned networking and connections. This got me thinking. And prove me wrong again if I’m talking out my backside. For workers who work with a promotion that doesn’t have a TV deal (regional or below), their stats are obscured – I don’t know if I lean towards simply not shown or misleading stats. I’ve heard the arguments that it would be quite easy to watch a tape of a worker. But, using real world as an example, I don’t think Mr. McMahon spends all his spare time watching every tape that lands through his letterbox. This got me to thinking of WreSpi2. In that game you have to play blackjack to make connections. What if that went on behind the scenes in TEW? Say, Wrestler X is making waves on the local circuit, he’s become quite friendly with the company road agent who used to work for WWE back in the day. The road agent tells his friend Mark Calloway who informs McMahon that he’s heard good things about Wrestler X. It up to McMahon (i.e. the player) weather he wants to follow it up or not. When the player decides he wants to follow it up he contacts Wrestler X and requests a tape of his work. Then the stats are revealed. While this is going on, as an example, the road agent has also informed the Dudley Boys who he also worked with back in the day about Wrestler X. So now there is potential competition from TNA for the promising youngsters signature. Is this a better alternative to scouting? Or do I really have no idea how the world works? Would it be workable in the game? Does Adam care? Does anyone care?

I can guarantee the majority of people who're backing this idea are Football Manager fans :p In Football Manager (for those (probably North American) users who haven't played it), the stats of players who realistically you'd never have heard of, are unknown to you (you see a hyphen instead of a grade). The idea being that if you're managing a top club, you'd need to use your scouting network to find the hidden gems in a lower league side, rather than look at their profile and see that they're good. The idea is sound for sports sims but, in my opinion, completely pointless in a wrestling game. There simply aren't enough workers in most databases to make it worthwhile, since the only workers who'd have hidden stats would be the really, really unknown ones. Anyone who gets regular employment in a TEW game would be known to the majority of people. If TEW was a football management sim, Northwhich Victoria wouldn't even nearly be in the data. :P Besides which, TEW just doesn't work like that. The game has taken several steps away from "tedious simulation" towards "playable, fun, enjoyable game". We don't want to be heading backwards.

Honestly I dislike the whole not being able to see stats. I could see maybe not seeing exact stats, but I would think you would have a pretty good idea of how good a guy was. If you wear going to hire someone, you'd probably get tape of them, or as been mention before a worker in your promotion recommended him, and probably told you their evaluation of the worker. I would guess in most cases, a worker wouldn't recommend someone they knew had no talent.

Wrestlemaniac, I think you're assuming that the WWE hiring system works pretty much like it does in TEW. By that, I mean that Vince or the Head Booker are responsible for signing all the talent. Thing is, it doesn't work like that. Sure, I'm pretty much certain that Vince always has the final say, but I doubt that he's actively looking for people to hire. He'll tell Stephanie, or Johnny Ace, or whoever to sign someone (if he needs it) and they'll look around for people that they've heard are good. Otherwise, it would probably just be workers picked up randomly because they did good work in a dark match or as a jobber (or as Donald Trump). Either way, they would give that worker some more tryouts, and then send them down to development (usually). You pretty talked about getting suggestions from a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousing of the wrestler. That's really tedious, and while possible, I think the game currently just cuts all that out for the sake of playability. You don't even get that in FM, you either scout or search for players, look on the transfer list, or get an offer from another team. There's not all this 6 Degrees of Separatin stuff going on.

[QUOTE=Akki;391446] You pretty talked about getting suggestions from a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousing of the wrestler. That's really tedious, and while possible, I think the game currently just cuts all that out for the sake of playability. [/QUOTE] I don't think I did a good job explaining... that 6 degrees of seperation you're talking about would happen behind the scenes via the AI. All the player would get would be a note from one of their workers saying maybe you should look at Wrestler X. I kind of do this anyway in TEW07 by looking at a worker's relationships and then searching for them through the "Other Workers" page. But I was just thinking it would be good to make it an active part of the game rather than a mechanism in my head. Anyway, this is all redundant as D-Lyrium's point about most databases being too small to warrent this idea (and scouting) has me sold.

While I don't agree with the having to scout out the workers, I wouldn't mind a recommendation from a worker. It would be a rare occasion but would help mold the in-game politics. Say for example, Shawn Michaels wants to lobby to bring Kevin Nash back to the WWE. The user gets a first email just implying "I think you should try to bring in Kevin Nash, Nash would be a good veteran presence for our younger workers" If the user ignores these emails then depending on the workers personality, he may get more emails trying to persuade him. Naturally the workers they recommend would have a realationship with him, friends, loyalty, etc.

[QUOTE=HAHJRB;391508]While I don't agree with the having to scout out the workers, I wouldn't mind a recommendation from a worker. It would be a rare occasion but would help mold the in-game politics. Say for example, Shawn Michaels wants to lobby to bring Kevin Nash back to the WWE. The user gets a first email just implying "I think you should try to bring in Kevin Nash, Nash would be a good veteran presence for our younger workers" If the user ignores these emails then depending on the workers personality, he may get more emails trying to persuade him. Naturally the workers they recommend would have a realationship with him, friends, loyalty, etc.[/QUOTE] I think that is possible just make it apart of the talk worker section. I mean alot of stories of how guys got hired worked that way. Plus it could help morale since you are bringing in his buddy.

[QUOTE=HAHJRB;391508]While I don't agree with the having to scout out the workers, I wouldn't mind a recommendation from a worker. It would be a rare occasion but would help mold the in-game politics. Say for example, Shawn Michaels wants to lobby to bring Kevin Nash back to the WWE. The user gets a first email just implying "I think you should try to bring in Kevin Nash, Nash would be a good veteran presence for our younger workers" If the user ignores these emails then depending on the workers personality, he may get more emails trying to persuade him. Naturally the workers they recommend would have a realationship with him, friends, loyalty, etc.[/QUOTE] I like this. I like to do alot of my own scouting. I just look through all the available workers and see who looks promising. I also like the feature that's already a part of the game where you get occaisional headlines in the media section talking about workers being a standout in their promotion. I can't remember the specific phrases. I think it would be cool to get OCCAISIONAL suggestions from workers at a higher respect level. I mean, who wants to hear what a jobber has to say. I imagine Adam is pretty busy, but I wonder if he is looking at any of these suggested features. Has anyone seen him reply on any of these posts saying that he would work on including X idea?

[QUOTE=biga_lane;392102]I imagine Adam is pretty busy, but I wonder if he is looking at any of these suggested features. Has anyone seen him reply on any of these posts saying that he would work on including X idea?[/QUOTE] I'm pretty sure that even if he decides to use an idea, he'll keep it a surprise until he posts it in the Dev Journal or the game comes out.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;391377]I can guarantee the majority of people who're backing this idea are Football Manager fans :p In Football Manager (for those (probably North American) users who haven't played it), the stats of players who realistically you'd never have heard of, are unknown to you (you see a hyphen instead of a grade). The idea being that if you're managing a top club, you'd need to use your scouting network to find the hidden gems in a lower league side, rather than look at their profile and see that they're good. The idea is sound for sports sims but, in my opinion, completely pointless in a wrestling game. There simply aren't enough workers in most databases to make it worthwhile, since the only workers who'd have hidden stats would be the really, really unknown ones. Anyone who gets regular employment in a TEW game would be known to the majority of people. If TEW was a football management sim, Northwhich Victoria wouldn't even nearly be in the data. :P Besides which, TEW just doesn't work like that. The game has taken several steps away from "tedious simulation" towards "playable, fun, enjoyable game". We don't want to be heading backwards.[/QUOTE] the only way your stats would be "unknown" (let's play along here for argument's sake) was if you were still training as people would have no real idea how GOOD you were as you were still developing and rather green. However once you're performing in front a crowd, it's pretty easy to tell skills. Indy promoters all pretty much know each other and can get tapes to see wrestlers (since most of them tape anyways, even if they don't sell or use the footage. And so someone like say... Dave Prazak can easily get something to "scout" for a girl he may want to use or not use - depending on the quality of the matches the person is in. Skills are never unknown. Even if you're training, your skills suck at worst. Everyone knows this. So the idea of "hiding stats" in TEW is rather silly. I don't get what the fascination is with some over "fog of war" stats.

Archived