Just noticed ...

Guest 400FanBoy

Guest IrishHand
I'm sorry...there are definitely some good ideas there, but some of those features are just laughable. [quote]Desktop Dynasties Pro Basketball Edition has the most accurate basketball simulation engine on the market. This engine allows you simulate an entire NBA season in minutes with results that make sense. [/quote] Pretty bold there. Not sure how you can simulate an entire NBA season with the Montana Boll Weevils and the California Maple Leafs. I would be interested to see how their engine does stack up against NBA norms though, especially given the boldness of this claim. [quote]A player generation module that is [b]physics based[/b], allowing for realistic progression of player skills.[/quote] Somebody please tell me what physics has to do with player generation or skill progression. Pretty senseless use of a fancy word, best I can tell. [quote]You can even designate players to be the team’s go-to shooter[/quote] Umm...how can you have multiple players being the go-to shooter? Regardless of that grammatical gaffe - this is a feature that I support, although I know Gary's not a big fan. [quote]and assign a player to be the coach’s pet project[/quote] I didn't realize that pro coaches had "pet projects". I guess I'll need to pay closer attention. [quote]The in-game almanac allows you to sort from the game’s statistical database against both active and retired players by team, year and individual year.[/quote] Very nice. Other random notes: -looks like a glorified spreadsheet -depth chart and sub in/out looks to be the same overly simplistic approach that the original TPB had, not a big fan of that. -coach shot selection feature is pointless, coaches can emphasize but not determine. You won't find a competent coach alive who wouldn't want 100% of his shots to come off post and penetration - those shots are taken at a [b]much[/b] higher percentage than any kind of jumper, no matter what level of basketball you're talking about. -screenies display a pretty limited number of stats, although I suppose there could be more on other screens. -transaction history just as limited in detail as TPB :) Overall, it looks like a good competitor for TPB2003...maybe. Not even in the same league as 05. However, best I can tell it's a bit of a boutique operation, so perhaps they just need some experience. I'm all for added competition though - new ideas are always a good thing.

Guest 400FanBoy
Hey Irish ... somebody values your opinion. He made changes to his websight based on what you said. Even explained what a "physics engine" is. You were dead on in what you said, tho

Guest IrishHand
lol Entertaining reading, to be sure. However, I've yet to meet the physicist who's analysis of basketball goes any further than an admiration for parabolas. :) Seriously though - I admire an attempt to create more realistic player development and different player types...I just don't see the need to break off impressive-sounding titles and expressions that don't jibe with reality. Physics deals with many things...the career path of the pro basketball player just isn't one of them. I suspect the site's owner will discover, if he doesn't already know, that a good player development model comes from a combination of programming/coding talents and a firm understanding of pro basketball.

Guest IrishHand
My word - that fellow edited his entire site based on my comments. Pretty impressive. I'm always happy to contribute to the basketball sim community though. I usually contribute via e-mail, but this'll work fine I suppose.

Guest 400FanBoy
Dang, Irish Irish -- You are scary and powerful! Knocked down a whole website with just your words. The website is up now and apparently he has a demo download, too. I guess now people can decide for themselves if it's any good, eh? The price is $ 24 bucks, so I suppose he'll get the cheap-o buyers.

Wow, I downloaded the demo, and messed with the draft, and before it crashed on me, I was actually very impressed. The setup on the individual player ratings were nice. I wonder how far the demo will let you get .... The way you set up your league schedule sucks though. *Edit* The thing crashes every time I look at the "edit player" function (which has a really cool setup), or try to load my game after the crash. When I try to look at a box score too. :mad:

Guest IrishHand
[QUOTE=400FanBoy]Irish -- You are scary and powerful! Knocked down a whole website with just your words.[/QUOTE] In honor of the Red Sox victory, please refer to me as "scary and [i]wicked[/i] powerful." No, I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I've always like the word "wicked". On a serious note, I wasn't intending to say the game was useless - I've no doubt it'll have strong points that will help to push all sports sims in a positive direction. 'Tis the primary benefit of competition...

Guest 400FanBoy
Desktop Dynasties Well, for what it's worth, there web page is back up and apparently they decided to beat TPB to the punch. There game is now for sale for 24 bucks.

• 3 months later...
i actually bought that crappy game... not even an nba player to be seen, not even a forum that actually works so i can complain did you guys look at the manual? that company is one big joke... their game sucks, their forum doesnt work and they waste manual space with corny jokes

• 3 weeks later...
To be fair, it looks as though this is a small, startup company... so they're going to have some rough gos of it. ...And at least they have their game out, unlike a certain duo we won't mention whose been delaying for 4-5 years... *idly whistles*

Archived