Smackdown vs. Raw 2008.... Sucks

Eisen-verse

I just recently got a job at a Blockbuster and thought I'd rent Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 for PS2 since I never bought it (pretty much because I was tired of buying those games and never really liking them enough to justify the price) and wanted to give it a go. First, How sucky is it that you don't get to select whoever you want for the "24/7 mode". I wanted to run with CM Punk and he wasn't even a choice. Kind of dumb. On top of that, I hate how the 24/7 thing makes your guy out to look like a loser and they can't recognize who it is that you are controlling even though there are limited people to choose from. I started a game with Randy Orton and literally they made my character look like a fool... No realism to what Randy would actually do or come out (esp. since I was starting off as a face against Edge? um... okay haha). In the end, I only played the game for like an hour and I already am bored with it and think it sucks. hah. Just thought i'd vent. I'm glad I didn't pay for this thing.

[QUOTE]Actually the only good part of the WWE is CM Punk.....[/QUOTE] Firstly, I agree times a billion. I'm not huge into the WWE anymore (or really wrestling in general since TNA & the WWE both don't "Do it for me anymore".) but the one guy I actually look forward to seeing is CM Punk. He's the only guy you can trust will put on a great match regardless of anything. That and HBK. [QUOTE]To be honest ... Graphics weren't a big improvement either. Hit Detection could've been better. Having 24/7 Mode and GM Mode in the same thing really pissed me off.. Cause I like playing 24/7 Mode when I want to and then play GM Mode .. not one or the other.[/QUOTE] The graphics are good but everything seems a little arcade like for me somehow. I'm not really sure why but it just looks a little too "sped up" when they do certain things and it kind of makes it loose its realism. I pretty much rented it to go through their career mode and I honestly got like 2 matches into it and instantly lost any sense of focus. How do you put together something like this and not keep the superstars personalities even when you're controlling them? Maybe it's because they expect you to create your own superstar and run through it? But even if that's the case then they do a bad job of maintaining and image for your wrestler. If you create some big bruiser bad ass and he's all smiles and seemingly a good guy... Nah.

Yeah... Career Mode really killed it for me to not only by combining that and GM Mode but you can only pick between like 20 characters.. and none of them really good. About Punk being the only thing good with WWE .. I agree even though he really hasn't been getting a push til the MITB match. I don't watch WWE anymore, and only TNA on occasion. There are certain people I mark out for in both promotions.. WWE:Randy Orton, John Cena(to watch him lose), CM Punk, HBK, Ric Flair, Taker, Kane, Paul London & Kendrick. TNA:Homicide, Samoa Joe, Christian, Jimmy Rave(even though his current gimmick is stale), AJ Styles, Shelley & Sabin. That's what I really watch TV wrestling for. Most of them can put on AMAZING matches.

[QUOTE]here are certain people I mark out for in both promotions.. WWE:Randy Orton, John Cena(to watch him lose), CM Punk, HBK, Ric Flair, Taker, Kane, Paul London & Kendrick.[/QUOTE] I agree with you pretty much all together. I'm not as high on Randy Orton, however, whenever I see him walk to the ring you can help but see that the guy has the perfect "Superstar Look" to him. And while He has become much better at carrying the load, He still seems like 6 months away from being "ready" for the World Title. They have given him the rub by beating a lot of the "bigger names" in the company, however, he still needs to work on really diving into his promos. He's a decent worker in the ring but not as good as he will be... In another year then I think I'll be a bigger fan of his.

Congratulations, captain obvious. Actually, no 3D wrestling game has been any good since the old N64 ones (WWF No Mercy especially, and my fav WWF Road to Wrestlemania 2000). They're going all huge on tag team features for the coming SvR 2009 that are mostly already in those games from 1999. That's just ridiculous. Hopefully TNA Impact! will start some competition in the wrestling videogame market (the Fire Pro Wrestling series are sweet but way not big enough to compete), and both games will benefit from trying to evolve in a better form to beat the other one (see: wrestling quality rise during monday night wars, ROH doing their best during WM weekend to show they're the best, etc. - competition is always good).

They really tried too much with 24/7 mode, and couldn't pull it off. It lost it's cohesion. Making games is hard, and I think with the Smackdown vs Raw series, they've got so much pressure on to add new modes and features and characters that they don't have time to fix and refine things. It's unfortunate. Also, 50-ish characters isn't a small roster. Look at 'normal' fighting games. 20-30 characters. The difference is that those 20-30 are unique, refined, balanced and fun. THQ clearly don't have time to do this (although I thought Fighting Styles were a step in the right direction) and honestly, if you make 50+ unique characters, players won't have time to learn them all, and most will go unplayed. I'm hoping Midway, with their 25 strong TNA roster, can keep the characters different and fun. Kurt Angle shouldn't fight like AJ Styles. I find Punk a bit over-rated. He's kinda bland and I don't dig the finish.

Guest Ransik
Every year THQ makes the same promises... and the ONLY thing they ever deliver on is better graphics. If they spent less time upping the amount of pixels that are on the screen they could fix the issues. I don't really care if I see an extra dimple on Big Show's ass as long he's a worthy AI opponent. Every year when they up the pixels... it takes them longer and longer to make wrestler models. We all know what the errors are so I won't repeat them. All I know is I never even went through 24/7 Mode. I loaded a new one... set it to sim until Wrestlemania over and over and over until everything was unlocked on both GM Mode and single wrestler play... took less time than if I had played it through. The TNA game is being made entirely from scratch and is already showing more promise than the what... 9th or 10th rehashed WWE game? I just don't understand why THQ has been so lazy about this series when it makes them so much money. They blew it so bad the WWE is pulling them from making the series and they don't even seem to care.

Guest The Aussie
[QUOTE=Self;399851]They really tried too much with 24/7 mode, and couldn't pull it off. It lost it's cohesion. Making games is hard, and I think with the Smackdown vs Raw series, they've got so much pressure on to add new modes and features and characters that they don't have time to fix and refine things. It's unfortunate. Also, 50-ish characters isn't a small roster. Look at 'normal' fighting games. 20-30 characters. The difference is that those 20-30 are unique, refined, balanced and fun. THQ clearly don't have time to do this (although I thought Fighting Styles were a step in the right direction) and honestly, if you make 50+ unique characters, players won't have time to learn them all, and most will go unplayed. I'm hoping Midway, with their 25 strong TNA roster, can keep the characters different and fun. Kurt Angle shouldn't fight like AJ Styles. I find Punk a bit over-rated. He's kinda bland and I don't dig the finish.[/QUOTE] Well, I read an impression thing by Derek Burgan (From thewrestlingfan.com) who attended something or another on the day of that live Impact. To say that it seemed awesome would be an understatement.

[QUOTE=Ransik;399911]Every year THQ makes the same promises... and the ONLY thing they ever deliver on is better graphics. If they spent less time upping the amount of pixels that are on the screen they could fix the issues.[/QUOTE] Totally agree. SvR08 looked great, and I felt that certain things (the crowd) needed that improvment for the HD era, but they didn't need to improve it again for 09.

[QUOTE=BadFurDay;399748]Actually, no 3D wrestling game has been any good since the old N64 ones (WWF No Mercy especially, and my fav WWF Road to Wrestlemania 2000). [QUOTE] I will always argue that Day of Reckoning 2 is excellent. In fact, if you put together the gameplay and style of DoR2 with the feature set of Raw 2 (multiplayer season, custom soundtrack, editing existing superstars, 64 wrestlers, 64 CAW slots) then you would have the nigh perfect game. [QUOTE=Self;399851]They really tried too much with 24/7 mode, and couldn't pull it off. It lost it's cohesion. Making games is hard, and I think with the Smackdown vs Raw series, they've got so much pressure on to add new modes and features and characters that they don't have time to fix and refine things. It's unfortunate. [/QUOTE] Sure, making games is hard. Making the 9th sequel to a game should NOT be as hard as they make it out to be. It is NEVER a good idea to combine two originally solid, seperate game modes into one. Especially when it's just a BS nonclemature - they're still two seperate things - one has you playing matches and watching crappy cutscenes, the other has you booking your own shows and potentially competing against two friends doing the same. To simply take away the option of having BOTH modes going at once, and forcing you to lose all your progress in one any time you want to play the other... is unforgivably idiotic. I'd be easier on them if they were just improving things and not fixing things. But the fact is that every year, they also BREAK and remove things in addition to the non-fixing.

I'm not sure who thought that combining GM and Season Mode into one thing was a good idea, but they must by amazing at pitching ideas. I'm sure it sounded awesome on paper. Probably had some nifty diagrams and cool jargon, like 'synergise'. I've been in creative meetings, it's remarkable what sounds good right up until you do it. Case and point, I was producing a film in college, and convinced the team to use a stuffed cat instead of a real one, because it would be easier to manage. I was convinced it would work fine, and I convinced everyone else, but when we watched the monitor as the scene played out, it was horrible, and way too late to change it. You have to make do. 24/7 mode was their stuffed cat. We all make mistakes.

[QUOTE]24/7 mode was their stuffed cat. We all make mistakes.[/QUOTE] True. But unless the Stuffed Cat was the main character of the movie it doesn't really fit. THQ knows that the season modes are normally the thing that people buy these games up for. To run through with a character and see what's new about the game. To drop the ball in that area is a lack of focus in my eyes.

Guest Ransik
Not only that, but I would be MUCH more happier with a game that just has all the match types running smoothly and NO new additions. I want the pods in my Chamber to break... I want the AI to stop suicide bombing from the top of the pod... I want actual sound effects coming from the Chamber... I want more depth to Buried Alive... I want throwing dirt in someone's eyes... choke them with the lid of the coffin... ANYTHING but just a damn shovel. I want table collision REGARDLESS. If I set up a powerbomb on the arena floor and do the Razor's Edge to the guy outside the ring... I don't want the table moving itself out of the way! More blood options... they had this crap WAY back on PS1. If you beat someone on the back with barb wire... they BLED from their back. That would VASTLY improve First Blood matches and usage of weapons. I want moves that have been the same animation from PS1 games redone! Why is it they manage to reanimate Kane's chokeslams in cut scenes for Season every year but he's had the same damn one since 2002? Get with it! That's just the tip of the iceberg. There's no reason none of these can't be dealt with. They need to skip the idiotic "new features" which don't need to be done and cramming more pixels in and just fix the game. After 08 I'm not even looking at 09. I'll take TNA and Ghostbuster this year... that's all I need.

[QUOTE]More blood options... they had this crap WAY back on PS1. If you beat someone on the back with barb wire... they BLED from their back. That would VASTLY improve First Blood matches and usage of weapons.[/QUOTE] I don't see them adding more blood to their games. I think there was a period there for a couple of years where there wasn't even an option for bloodshed as the WWE started to shift away from the 90's - ECW/Attitude Era into where they are now... Disney Wrestling.

Archived