WWE's top 25 gimmicks (of the annoying kind).

djthefunkchris

"[I]Straight out of Mortal Kombat and into our living rooms, Glacier drove us mad when he debuted in WCW in 1996. With his extravagant ring attire, laser light entrance and win-loss record comparable to Glass Joe of Mike Tyson’s Punch Out fame, Glacier annoyed audiences for nearly three years before he melted away[/I]." Hilarious blurb for Glacier.

[QUOTE]“I looooooooooooove you.” Brother Love came to WWE in June 1988 and began hosting his Brother Love Show. Immediately, the red-faced, white suit-wearing personality got under everyone’s skin with his evangelical ways, drawing the ire of Superstars like Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior, as well as our fans. His preachy words and underhanded ways made him even harder to stomach, but he is credited with introducing Undertaker to WWE audiences, so maybe he wasn’t all bad.[/QUOTE] One of my favorites, lol. Sorry Blasphemy, was intended for humor, not to upset you...

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;429856]I am nearly positive that whatever they wrote for Paul Heyman reflects what they really think about him.[/QUOTE] I'm sure and it's a real shame. He was gold as a heel manager/commentator. He was just so creative in any capacity he was put in. I still remember that "Washington DC" line from his first night on Raw so fondly :D. Quote The Raven Nevermore

[QUOTE=Nevermore;429867]I'm sure and it's a real shame. He was gold as a heel manager/commentator. He was just so creative in any capacity he was put in. I still remember that "Washington DC" line from his first night on Raw so fondly :D. Quote The Raven Nevermore[/QUOTE] Not at all there nevermore they thought his annoying commentaor nothing about his wwe afterlife.

[QUOTE=Nevermore;429852]Can't really work out what it set out to achieve. Is it the list of the most hated heels and the most annoying gimmicks or the most stupid/ridiculous gimmicks. It seems to mix both concepts. Quote The Raven Nevermore[/QUOTE] They're trying to "put over" people whose purpose was to be annoying while taking subtle jabs at some of their mistakes... Along with their competition's. I think it's a decent list, they could have toned up the sarcasm but I guess if you keep it semi-lighthearted you don't burn any bridges.

I read that a couple days ago and was upset that Heyman was #2 and Jimmy Hart was #1.. both are awesome.. Hart being the number one manager, possible of all time. Heyman being the man to bring so many creative aspects to Wrestling and of course for the GOOD ECW not this new ECW crap where Vince won't allow anything good to come to it's top stars.

[QUOTE=Tyler Gadzinski;429913]I read that a couple days ago and was upset that Heyman was #2 and Jimmy Hart was #1.. both are awesome.. Hart being the number one manager, possible of all time. Heyman being the man to bring so many creative aspects to Wrestling and of course for the GOOD ECW not this new ECW crap where Vince won't allow anything good to come to it's top stars.[/QUOTE] Read my last comment and it should explain why he was ranked higher than then the dreaded Max Moon

I know that's probably what they think of them. But he was such a genius and really gave fans what they wanted. Who cares if him and Vince didn't see eye to eye. Paul E. did so much for the biz including giving WWE, ECW.. granted it's not as good now as it was. Heyman was the reason for WWE signing Punk also.

I'm pretty sure this is a "tribute" to heels, and you guys are taking it the wrong way here... Lose the Kafabe, and reread it. They aren't talking anything personal about them, only the gimmicks they shared. In other words... To me... The higher up the list, the more highly they feel for them (not the worse). They did their jobs WELL. Jimmy Hart being number 1, and Heyman being number 2... I can think of other's I would have put before Heyman, but obviously they think higher of him then I do (not that I feel bad about him in any way either).

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;429976]To me... The higher up the list, the more highly they feel for them (not the worse). They did their jobs WELL. Jimmy Hart being number 1, and Heyman being number 2... I can think of other's I would have put before Heyman, but obviously they think higher of him then I do (not that I feel bad about him in any way either).[/QUOTE] That would make sense if not for references to Mintaur and Shockmaster, They did their jobs well :confused:? This is why I said I was uncertain of what they were actually trying to achieve with this list. Quote The Raven Nevermore

[QUOTE=Nevermore;430013]That would make sense if not for references to Mintaur and Shockmaster, They did their jobs well :confused:? This is why I said I was uncertain of what they were actually trying to achieve with this list. Quote The Raven Nevermore[/QUOTE] Well, I guess they liked them more then me too. That being said, I can't help saying I thought that the Mintaur Gimmick kind of worked... He looked weird, and that gimmick matched in a way. I don't have anything to say about Shockmaster though. Perhaps as you suggested, a kind of tribute+ annoyance. They did their jobs is the point I think though, overall... I can't imagine history without Jimmy Hart for example. I couldn't stand that little weazle back in the day.... GOD, I hated him! He would shout from that thing, and would cheat for his wrestler every single time it seemed..> Constantly ticking me off. Now I look back at him, and in a new light think of what he did. Bassically, He made me want the good guy to win even more everytime he showed up. Notice how quite a few of the "Major" heels are left out. I think this is purposely an "Annoyance" type list, but a tribute all the same. I can think of 25 or more heels of the "DOTT" era (just looking at the worker's in the MOD), that I would have put up as great at what they did, but they didn't have as much of the "Annoyance" thing going on. Kind of like the difference between Umaga or Mark Henry, as opposed to MVP's "I'm better then all of you!" routine, or the "Tuesday Night Delight". Both of them are annoying..> However, when CM Punk is told he is going to have to fight "Umaga" or "Mark Henry" or even "Kane" for that matter... Your going... Damn, Guess he's going to lose this match! Umaga, Kane, Mark Henry, even Finlay = Good heels. MVP, Edge, Orton, Jericho... Irritating or annoying heels. Doesn't mean one way is better, but definately one is less irritating (Listening to them anyways).

[QUOTE=Moe Hunter;430027]Glacier, annoying? He was nothing but awesome. His match with Goldberg was one of 'Berg's few very watchable matches. It's short but solid in action - you can findit on youtube.[/QUOTE] I thought the MK Gimmick was annoying.. sorry. If he would have wore it while wrestling... that might have been a different story! :D

Hey! Can we cut the Shockmaster bashing please?! That was one of my very favourite moments EVER in wrestling history. If anyone hasn't seen it then you have to search for his debut on youtube. Brilliant stuff. I think it was part kayfabe, part legit. So some are there because they were annoying and bad, some because that was the gimmick they played. I think it's only intended to be a bit of fun, and it was, sort of. Out of interest, did anyone else actually like RTC? I know they were heels and everything and only a jab at the PTC but I quite liked them. I thought they did their job well considering it was very much a midcard gimmick.

[QUOTE=keefmoon;430098]Hey! Can we cut the Shockmaster bashing please?! That was one of my very favourite moments EVER in wrestling history. If anyone hasn't seen it then you have to search for his debut on youtube. Brilliant stuff. Out of interest, did anyone else actually like RTC? I know they were heels and everything and only a jab at the PTC but I quite liked them. I thought they did their job well considering it was very much a midcard gimmick.[/QUOTE] The Shockmaster trip was freakin' hilarious! And the Steven Richards led RTC was gold and I enjoyed every minute of it! SO no ya not the only one! Richards is good on the mic and they actually did something intelligent by handing him one in this gimmick.

I have such joyful memories of so much of that stuff. I'm not being sarcastic, I love outrageous gimmicks every now and again. Those Steven Regal "A Real MAn's Man" video's were AMAZING. "He doesn't drink his orange juice out of a cardboard carton." Classic. I'm so heading to Youtube to try to track them down this weekend. Naked Mideon also rocked. I don't understand how anyone could dislike that dude running around in a thong. It may not be ratings or PPV buys, but it was damn entertaining, and THAT is why I watch wrestling.

[QUOTE] #12: "REAL MAN'S MAN" Steven REGAL Long before he became the powerful General Manager of Raw or the 2008 King of the Ring, Regal spent time donning a construction helmet and flannel shirts. When this manly gimmick debuted in 1998, our fans didn’t know what to think as Regal chopped wood, shaved with a plain razor, and squeezed his own orange juice. (We wish this was a joke.) No offense to the plug-pulling GM, but we actually like him better now.[/QUOTE] :D :D :D His entrance theme was a classic, funny stuff.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;429976]I'm pretty sure this is a "tribute" to heels, and you guys are taking it the wrong way here... Lose the Kafabe, and reread it. They aren't talking anything personal about them, only the gimmicks they shared. In other words... To me... The higher up the list, the more highly they feel for them (not the worse). They did their jobs WELL. Jimmy Hart being number 1, and Heyman being number 2... I can think of other's I would have put before Heyman, but obviously they think higher of him then I do (not that I feel bad about him in any way either).[/QUOTE] Well I can put hundreds of people up before Paul E. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the "Vlnce is teh Devil L0ng Life Paul!!" type, but his character wasnt that annoying. I'm pretty sure their was some legit feelings as to what they wrote about him. I wouldnt blame them either.... [QUOTE=keefmoon;430098] Out of interest, did anyone else actually like RTC? I know they were heels and everything and only a jab at the PTC but I quite liked them. I thought they did their job well considering it was very much a midcard gimmick.[/QUOTE] I didnt get the jab at the time, and just noticed that the product was getting less and less risque as a result of them. So I hated them. [QUOTE=Moe Hunter;430027]Glacier, annoying? He was nothing but awesome. His match with Goldberg was one of 'Berg's few very watchable matches. QUOTE] Only because Golderg won in a matter of like.... 3 moves.

[QUOTE=keefmoon;430098]Out of interest, did anyone else actually like RTC? I know they were heels and everything and only a jab at the PTC but I quite liked them. I thought they did their job well considering it was very much a midcard gimmick.[/QUOTE] I have to stop agreeing with you because it's starting to scare me but, yes, I thougt they were fantastic. Some of the most under-rated wrestlers of the era were put in a gimmick that really worked. They truly pissed me off at the time (even in spite of the fact that I love Stevie). So, I think they did their job perfectly! A great heel is one that is a good worker but still manages to legitimately wind up even those who think they "know" the basics of the industry. It's why I love Raven so... for years he convinced me so fully that he was a cowardly little bastard... even though in actual fact he was a bloody marine :p. Quote The Raven Nevermore

Archived