University Advice from the programmers among you? Please?

AdmiralZ

I am due to start applying to universities soon. I'd like to do something involving programming, hopefully going on to games programming, but not necessarily. I know that things may have changed since some of you went to university but if you have any advice on what courses to do, where to go (in the UK), or any general advice, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

To be honest I don't think the university matters too much so long as you apply yourself on your course and enjoy what you're doing. I don't generally recommend people do pure 'games' degrees because there is a high risk with them. If you decide afterwards that the games industry isn't for you then 'normal' businesses won't take that qualifacation particularly seriously in some instances. Hence I'd generally recommend doing a 'normal' computer science degree and learning areas relevant to games in your spare time. If you don't have the drive to take this approach then I'd go as far as suggesting that the games industry probably isn't for you (as it can involve long hours at times and you need a lot of self-motivation to succeed in making your own game). Hope this helps, Marc PS> For what its worth I went to Brighton Uni myself ...

Archived