Why the secrets?

[QUOTE=Mike D]Gotcha. So the only questions we're allowed to ask are ones that praise the game, or maker in general, and not anything that might be construed as possibly questioning the produict or developer. Thanks for clearing that up.[/QUOTE] I don't even think the question I asked was anything questioning the product or developer ? I just simply asked IF we could have an update to a projected release date. Arlie himself seemed to indicate it would be October with the "how far into October" comment. With his reply to this thread it sounds now like it may not be... I don't have a problem with that. I just like to know. One reason I got into playing these single developer sports sims like this is that the developers were available to ask questions. They would then take these questions and make the game better. Asking when a game is scheduled to be release is part of that. Then after the game is released, sending in bugs for them to fix is another part.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to admit, I have been a bit disappointed in the level of interaction with the development team on the game, I followed TPF and there was a great deal more interaction and questions seemed to be answered more often than not, this time around it seems the opposite, and I am not referring to the never ending "When will it be out?" question.

Guys, just wait. I'm on the beta team too. The game is coming along very very nicely and I know you guys are going to enjoy the finished product. One reason the game may be taking a while longer is due to Arlie's dedication to making it the best product he can. He constantly is listening to our (beta testers) suggestions and making changes that make the game better. Anyway, I understand your excitement for the game, but you need to calm down a bit.

The game is in Beta. The Beta testers indicate that they have seen several good builds. Therefore, I am satisfied. Of course I am eager to play this game, but (you may call me a "fan boy" here), I think that Grey Dog is taking the right approach. TPF had some brilliant ideas in it, but it was one the few games that I would describe as an unplayable mess upon release, and for a long time afterward--there were showstopping bugs in the game (ever have a pass intercepted in the endzone in TPF? YIKES) right up to the 1.4x patches. No one should expect any game to be bug free--ever. But it is reasonable to expect a game to have no showstopping bugs, and I think that the developer is right to keep working on the game until a certain level of quality has been reached. Grey Dog is establishing a very good reputation for itself with the games that it has released to date, and they need to maintain and develop that growing reputation by continuing to release quality products. As for interaction with the develpment team--every minute spent posting on the boards is a minute that could have been spent coding. Sometimes, when you are deep into a project, you just have to shut everything else out. Let's face it--the development team could subject itself to 24-hour webcam surveillance here on the web site, and we probably still would find something to complain about :)

The game should have been released in Q3. Then Arlie said that it would be released in October. Now it seems that we are looking at November. I want to be patient but I need an update. Football Manager 06 will be released the next week and after that Civilization 4, The Movies...

[QUOTE=raindog]The game should have been released in Q3. Then Arlie said that it would be released in October. Now it seems that we are looking at November. I want to be patient but I need an update. Football Manager 06 will be released the next week and after that Civilization 4, The Movies...[/QUOTE] Dude, what have you heard that makes you think, at this point, it won't release in October? Its just the 12th and nothing has been posted, to my knowledge, saying that it won't be out this month. All I've read is that the testers say they are receiving solid builds at this point.

[QUOTE=Roger Kaputnik]If there are any bugs in the game that is finally released none of you people who are bitching about the delayed release are allowed to say anything. Not. One. Word.[/QUOTE] Amen....actually just shut up now and be patient.

First time poster, long time lurker here. . . I dont think anyone here is really getting uptight and/or out of control. They are simply asking for more information. From my standpoint alone, I am eagerly awaiting this release; however, since my last name isnt Hilton, Gates, or Trump, I have to pay attention to where my money goes. And with all the doom and gloom being predicted by economists, forecasters, energy and gas prices through the upcoming winter, it is imperative that I know what my own personal expenses are going to be. It is hard to plan accordingly when we have no idea when this thing will hit. I do know that the further the game is released into winter, the less likely I will be able to purchase it. Im not bitching or whining - just seeking info. Thanks.

[QUOTE=BYU 14]Amen....actually just shut up now and be patient.[/QUOTE] Sorry if I have to ask this question again, but What exactly gives you the right to tell people what to post about? Did Arlie and company make you some forum god that tells people the subjects they must post about? Do you think that if Greydog Software had a tremendous problem with this thread, they would have continued to leave it open? Don't you think it's better that people are only posting about it in this thread instead of clogging the whole board with a question about the release date?

I'd just encourage everyone to step back a bit and not get too worked up. Understand that people have a right to ask questions about the timing of the release, and others have the right to say that they'll buy the game regardless of when it is released. Ultimately what we want is only a part of what Arlie takes into consideration, as he has some absolutes for this game that he personally will make sure are taken care of before the game is released - as any good programmer would do. As long as we all stay courteous, there's no reason for anyone to take offense no matter what your opinion. And remember, we're most likely all here because we want the same thing - a great college football sim.

If I dont get BBCF downloaded and installed on my computer before the stroke of midnight on daylight savings time change my hard drive will implode creating a black hole in my living room that will suck the universe into it ending all of our exsistance .... Realy guys if someone posted today that the game comes out Nov15th would any of our lives change? would anyone do anything differant over the next month?

[QUOTE=BigDawg]If I dont get BBCF downloaded and installed on my computer before the stroke of midnight on daylight savings time change my hard drive will implode creating a black hole in my living room that will suck the universe into it ending all of our exsistance .... Realy guys if someone posted today that the game comes out Nov15th would any of our lives change? would anyone do anything differant over the next month?[/QUOTE] Cardinal Rule explain it very well. Some of us have the right to ask questions about the timing of the release, and others like you have the right to say that they'll buy the game regardless of when it is released. If Arlie post today that the game will come out Nov15th, I would appreciate the info and maybe I would buy another game. That's all, no more waiting for an update. But what is the meaning of the first part of your post? It's like say: "Oh Lord Arlie! We are your loyal servants ready to punish those pagants who pronounce the forbidden words (release date)". Sorry but it's ridiculous. Of course, I don't try to offend you, it's just my point of view.

If I have the permission of a few of you on here to enlighten you a little bit, I'll post this. Here is what I suspect you all really want. You want the game now! All this talk about knowing the release date, game progress, etc is just a smokescreen for you wanting the game NOW! As BigDawg posted, nothing will really change if Arlie came on here and said the game is going to be out on X Month X Day. Well, one thing would change. You all will start publicly badgering him on having an public beta immediately to get the game. Seriously, if you honestly only want information about the progress of the game, maybe Arlie can borrow an idea from Rob Cooper (Chart Wars series) and put up a program code line counter so all can see just how much coding he added on X day. Grey Dog does not release a specific release date until the game is done. Every game they've released has been that way. You know the game is in beta testing, and you know the testing is going very well. That is all the info you really need and are going to get from any developer of a Grey Dog game. I'll also enlighten you all a little bit more about "why it is taking forever and we're going to curl into a ball and die if we don't get the game right now!" Yes, Arlie initially put out a PROJECTED release date of Q3. How dare he miss that or not plan it better or have a more realistic date! It is not like he was becoming a first-time dad or anything. Oh wait, he did. My best friend had his first kid last Dec. and his schedule was all screwed up for months beforehand. He had no clue just how much had to be done and time he'd lose doing it. So, this made Arlie behind on the game. Second, contrary to what some of you think, Arlie has a real job. He has to since Farrah is CEO of a basically-dead company plus he's always had a real job for years. This isn't EA, Blizzard, or any other mainstream game company where programmers are hired and locked in a room for 18 hours a day. So that has probably delayed the game too. All you can yell at Arlie for is making an incorrect projection of a release date which he made without knowing all the variables. Of course if he'd said it would be out on Thanksgiving weekend, there'd probably be a huge thread including most of you saying what a waste of time it is to release a college football game that late.

Smartman, your post is really making me rething the intelligence behind your name... I don't want to hear anything about his first kid slowing down the process. I just had my first child 6 months ago. Sure, my schedule changed, but I still wake up in the morning at 6, go to work at 8, and come home at 6. Why? Because I have a family to feed and a roof to keep over their heads. Moral to the story: No matter how many children we have, our WORK schedule stays the same. Now uh... isn't this Arlie's job? I wish I could've called my work up after having my daughter and tell them, "Man, not sure if I'm gonna come in THIS QUARTER.. I'll give you a call either in November, December, or January. Bye!".. Doesn't work that way, "smart"man

[QUOTE=Doomba]Smartman, your post is really making me rething the intelligence behind your name... I don't want to hear anything about his first kid slowing down the process. I just had my first child 6 months ago. Sure, my schedule changed, but I still wake up in the morning at 6, go to work at 8, and come home at 6. Why? Because I have a family to feed and a roof to keep over their heads. Moral to the story: No matter how many children we have, our WORK schedule stays the same. Now uh... isn't this Arlie's job? I wish I could've called my work up after having my daughter and tell them, "Man, not sure if I'm gonna come in THIS QUARTER.. I'll give you a call either in November, December, or January. Bye!".. Doesn't work that way, "smart"man[/QUOTE] Great post.I agree totally life does go on.

You know, I've come to the conclusion that some people just don't deserve to have this game, no matter when it comes out. Some people are just too selfish to realize that there is more to life than just a game. I don't need to name names, you should know who you are, and there are quite a few of you. My advice for you is: GROW UP! You're all acting like 5 year old babies whining because you can't have a toy. It's really ridiculous. Now, I want the game just as bad as the next person, but I have something called PATIENCE. Have some of you people ever heard that word? Know the meaning? Try having it, it's a great thing to have. The game will be out when it gets out, end of discussion. And why oh why, Arlie, won't you close this topic and ban certain people who have negative feelings about the situation? For everybodys sake, get rid of the pessimism.

"Second, contrary to what some of you think, Arlie has a real job. He has to since Farrah is CEO of a basically-dead company plus he's always had a real job for years." Gee, all the fun 2nd grade jokes. Wow, Doomba, that one is soooooo original. As you see by my quote, he does have a real job. I guess I didn't clear up that GREY DOG IS NOT HIS REAL (MAIN) JOB! Thus, he's going to work everyday. I said this because a bunch of you don't get it. He's not home programming 18 hours a day. Why don't all of you who just can't stand to wait go buy whatever you want to now and leave those of us who understand what patience is alone. The game will be out sometime in 2005, and it will still be available whenever you have money to spend again. So stop whining because you don't have it right now.

[QUOTE=sportsfanmas]And why oh why, Arlie, won't you close this topic and ban certain people who have negative feelings about the situation? For everybodys sake, get rid of the pessimism.[/QUOTE] Yep, that's the way to get more people to buy the game. Ban the people who want the game and are vocal about wanting it. What's next, banning the people who list all the bugs too? Afterall, those are people with negative feelings about the game too.

[QUOTE=smartman]"Second, contrary to what some of you think, Arlie has a real job. He has to since Farrah is CEO of a basically-dead company plus he's always had a real job for years." Gee, all the fun 2nd grade jokes. Wow, Doomba, that one is soooooo original. As you see by my quote, he does have a real job. I guess I didn't clear up that GREY DOG IS NOT HIS REAL (MAIN) JOB! Thus, he's going to work everyday. I said this because a bunch of you don't get it. He's not home programming 18 hours a day. Why don't all of you who just can't stand to wait go buy whatever you want to now and leave those of us who understand what patience is alone. The game will be out sometime in 2005, and it will still be available whenever you have money to spend again. So stop whining because you don't have it right now.[/QUOTE] While I myself haven't been among those most ardently complaining, I wasn't aware that Arlie had another full-time job. That makes me appreciate the effort and work he *is* able to put in on these games all the more. And yes, having a kid, especially a first one, *will* throw a monkey wrench into that. So I'm sure he's doing what he can, but I would imagine that the full-time job and the kid come first, particularly since the FT job is presumably what brings home the bacon, to borrow an old cliche. GDS is just supplemental income.

I'd like to leave this topic open but the personal attacks have got to stop. Here are the facts: 1.) The game is in beta currently and is being tested. 2.) There is no official release date at this time, we hoped to release in Q3, obviously that didn't happen. (Part of the problems with the TDCB and TPF releases were because the releases were rushed to meet artificial deadlines.) 3.) The game will be released when we are confident that it is ready and can live up to the success of the Total Extreme Wrestling, Wrestling Spirit, and Total Pro Basketball releases, meaning we are confident that the game has been fully tested (Adam and Gary have done a tremendous job with their products, they should be applauded for their efforts and some outstanding games). 4.) Arlie does in fact have a full time job in the "real world". He works on Bowl Bound (as he did on TDCB and TPF) in his free time. That free time is obviously a little less now with the newborn, but the game is still being worked on. I can understand the frustration when something you are really looking forward too isn't out when you hoped. Unfortunately the game wasn't ready when we hoped for it to be, and if this causes people to no longer be interested or able to purchase Bowl Bound that is the price the company will pay. Trust me no one is more anxious to get the game released then Grey Dog, but we feel its more important to ensure that the product is of a quality that we can be proud of, that will reflect well upon the entire company (after all it's not just Arlie's reputation on the line, but everyone involved in Grey Dog Software).

Archived