Why Do Play by Yourself?

Rene778

As a therapist I sometimes wonder why people do things including me. I have played these silly games since I have had my hands on a computer and a game machine. So I have asked why do I play text based sports games (recent purchase of OOTP 6.5 got me back into it) and why I like to play Pokemon Colosseum on my new Gamecube. The best that I can tell is that these games helps to relieve some of the stress from dealing with everyone else's problems with their marriage, sexual dysfunctions, anxieties, and various spiritual issues...its a form of self therapy at least for me. What about u?

Well, for me, I was the youngest child in the family and my nearest sib was six years older than me. So playing games by myself was just what was. I would even play games that were meant for multiple players and pit my right hand against my left or work games between two of my favorite stuffed animals. So basically I play by myself because I always have.

Thank u Tempr for the response. A common theme appears to be developing on this issue...namely that it maybe easier and more satisfying to simply play a game than to deal with others. I deal with people on a regular basis but I am an introvert (i get my energy from being away from people) and games helps me to recharge.

I'd have to say I fit into that psych profile as well. Unlike humans, games aren't temperamental, they don't go crazy if you do something stupid(like, say, trading away an eventual hall-of-famer ... not that I've every DONE that or anything ...). Games also can be turned off and ignored if you get mad at them :). Good for stress relief, and forgetting whatever life issues may have me down at the moment.

I, too, hate people. No one would play board games with me growing up. The invention of video games was a godsend for me. Also, I'm a nerd, so the games interested me from a technological point of view, as well. I'm also very competitive, but not athletic/outgoing enough to get into sports and/or other "real world" forms of competition.

Thanks Z and BT for your input on this issue. Sometimes I wonder about the amount of time that I spend messing with these games. On one hand I enjoy directing the lives of the make believe players in the game universe, but it does not take too long to really master these games (weak AI's I suppose). While I leave my wife alone there maybe other things that I can be doing like writing clinical notes. How much time do you all spend playing games? My tendency is to play as much as I can until I master the game then I "throw" it away. I would be a nerd Bt but I way to cool to be classified as such. ;) Personally I really like crushing the computer "managers" since most seem to be pretty stupid, even the "advanced" ones.

[QUOTE=Rene778]I wonder cappy if this issue (no one else to play with) is the reason that many of us really spend time playing text games. Perhaps it is easier to spend time trying to be a great coach than dealing with other people.[/QUOTE] Could be to a degree I guess. But then I don't usually have a problem dealing with people. I feel like I'm pretty good at it most of the time. But I do still tend to favor a lot of solitary activites more than the average bear would seem to because of the childhood experience.

Perhaps cappy most folks who spend significant amounts of time on the internet and playing text based sports games are introverts. I wonder if the only real community that many folks have who are on boards like this is the web site itself...which to my mind is pretty sad. It is important to my mind to have a larger social circle than those "intimate" relations on a web site. The true revenge of nerds is that we control the world. Bwahhhhh.

Certainly the vast number of extroverts who are at all interested in video games like to sit on the couch and play against their friends as a social activity. It's only logical that introverts would be much much more likely to enjoy the single player aspects of the games, because we seek out activites we can do on our own.

Archived