It's best use is when you have two awful workers and you want to try and disguise it and/of distract the crowd from how bad it is by making total chaos happen. And you can use other road agent notes to set up interference if you want to involve more people.

Overbooking is what happened a lot in ECW, and WWF Hardcore matches. Basically, you involve so many spots, and blood, and weapon shots, and outside interference that the fans forget that they're watching two average wrestlers wrestle an average match, and get distracted by the carnage. There was a time when hardcore matches in the WWF would ALWAYS spill backstage at some point, and it'd get to the point where half the time was spent by one guy walking after the other guy (who was running away) yelling things at him, brandishing a weapon, and not actually wrestling much at all. One particular example would be the Hardcore Title fourway match from WMX-7. Big Show (or possibly Kane...) spent a good three and a half minutes at one point just following Raven around backstage and occasionally kicking him or throwing him into/through things. :p In essence, Overbooking is best used when there won't be much actual wrestling going on, because nobody in the match can actually wrestle. It can improve a match rating by quite a bit, depending on who's involved. Sometimes though, it has the opposite effect when the fans realise 'hang on a minute...'. In one of my games, Dusty Bin was involved in a D- match due partly to Overbooking. True story.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;453785] In one of my games, Dusty Bin was involved in a D- match due partly to Overbooking. True story.[/QUOTE] Oh...my...god! Dusty Bin putting on a semi-almost-watchable match. You sure pulled the wool over the fans eyes on that one.

[QUOTE=Dragonmack;453626]It's best use is when you have two awful workers and you want to try and disguise it and/of distract the crowd from how bad it is by making total chaos happen. And you can use other road agent notes to set up interference if you want to involve more people.[/QUOTE] Think everything Mick Foley ever did...

Slim V & Killah (Thug Life 4C) are overbooked all the time. Honestly don't know if it helps or hurts but it fits with what I imagine them doing. I just always picture New Jack & Mustafa coming down with a shopping cart full of crap to hit people with so I figure Slim & Killah would do something similar.

I always thought it had to do with a ton of nearfalls, distracted referees, ref being knocked out, etc. Lots of stuff that is meant to "heighten the tension" of a match. I've always thought of the use of two counts throughout a match as an example of overbooking.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;453785]Overbooking is what happened a lot in ECW, and WWF Hardcore matches. Basically, you involve so many spots, and blood, and weapon shots, and outside interference that the fans forget that they're watching two average wrestlers wrestle an average match, and get distracted by the carnage. [/QUOTE] Sounds like a TNA main event match nowadays, too. Do they realize you can have a main event without a run-in? :) Edit: Curses, EricAdams beat me to it.

Lets say I'm using Overbooking with a match between Christian Faith and Angry Gilmore (Two good workers)... Can't overbooking mean that the match is clouded with soo many interferences and so many people getting involved? Like If I had Remo, Richard Eisen, and Eric Eisen all interfear. That would make it overbooked since they all would be playing parts in the match.. making people forget what they were really looking for in the match.

[QUOTE=EricAdams;453905]TNA is like a primer on overbooking.[/QUOTE] Well yeah, you've got to do something to prevent people from actually having to watch Robert Roode wrestle. He's like the Million Dollar Man... if you took away all the talent and charisma, that is.

[QUOTE=Eisen-verse;454148]Lets say I'm using Overbooking with a match between Christian Faith and Angry Gilmore (Two good workers)... Can't overbooking mean that the match is clouded with soo many interferences and so many people getting involved? Like If I had Remo, Richard Eisen, and Eric Eisen all interfear. That would make it overbooked since they all would be playing parts in the match.. making people forget what they were really looking for in the match.[/QUOTE] Yeah, an overbooked match between two good wrestlers can actually make the grade *worse*, as you're taking away the good from a good match, rather than taking away the bad from a bad one.

[QUOTE=Eisen-verse;454148]Lets say I'm using Overbooking with a match between Christian Faith and Angry Gilmore (Two good workers)... Can't overbooking mean that the match is clouded with soo many interferences and so many people getting involved? Like If I had Remo, Richard Eisen, and Eric Eisen all interfear. That would make it overbooked since they all would be playing parts in the match.. making people forget what they were really looking for in the match.[/QUOTE] Overbooking Faith vs Gilmore in SWF should be grounds for termination, in my view. :p

Archived