WCW: New Year, New Attitude

[CENTER]As I sat in that front lobby on the 11th floor, my heart was pounding in fear. I didn't know what I was going to say. Here I was, a 30 year old Michigander sitting in CNN Tower about to meet one of the most successful owners in wrestling history. It felt weird to be spending my Christmas Vacation in Atlanta when I should be back at home with my family. I could feel the sweat on my hands as I waited for those eight words. I looked over to the secretary, one fine lady at that, and she was looking at a memo I guess. The phone then rung and she picked it up. I couldn't hear what was being said on the other line, but she agreed with whatever the person was saying. After a quick minute, she hung up the phone and looked over at me. "Mr. Turner would like to see you now." I stood up and rubbed my hands on my pants before moving forward into the office. I opened the door and as I looked towards the desk, I could see him right before me. I just walked up to the desk and waited for him to tell me I could have a seat. He then finally looked at me and said something. "Oh, hello Mr. Williams. You can have a seat." Mr. Turner shook my hand and I sat down before he continued. "Do you know why your here Mr. Williams?" "I applied for a job with WCW but I thought I wouldn't need to come to your office." "Well, let me fill you in on something. Being the 2nd best is getting old, I am finally ready to take the wrestling world by storm. When I bought WCW from Jim Crockett, I could have cared less about it, but now it is my money maker. If I want to become number one, I need someone at the helm that has that same vision. Jim and Ole do not have the same intensity that some of your former colleagues have told me you possess. Now I know this was not the job you applied for, and you do not have to accept if you want to, but I would like to offer you the position of Vice President of WCW and duties of being the Head Booker..." My jaw hit the floor. Did I just hear him right? He just offered little old me to become the Vice President of the 2nd biggest wrestling company in the world today. I didn't know what to think or say. I just sat there looking at Mr. Ted Turner and rubbed my face in amazement. I thought to myself for a second and then I looked Mr. Turner in his face. "Mr. Turner, I would be honored to be the Vice President of WCW." Mr. Turner smiled at me and he shook my hand again. As I walked out the room, a cloud of happiness took over. I looked at the secretary and she smiled at me. As I left I knew the job I had just accepted would be the most important job I would ever take. My name is Devin Williams, and I am the new Vice President and Head Booker of WCW heading into 1991.[/CENTER]

Archived