Cornellverse References

Praguepride was giving me heck in another thread because I mentioned once upon a time that there was a thread discussing all the pop culture references in the Cornellverse. So, I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss them as we all know there are multiple Monty Python, Buffy, and Spinal Tap references in the game.

***Disclaimer*** all items referenced in this thread are the opinion of the poster and do not imply that Adam intentionally placed them there.

I'll mention a couple obvious ones:

Ash Campbell- Army of Darkness (Ash is the main character portrayed by Bruce Campbell)

Ring Generals- Muppets (Waldorf and Statler are the old guys in the balcony)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four more from the Buffyverse:

Pylea - Home planet of the green guy from Angel

Aud D'Hoffryn - Aud was Anya's original name, D'Hoffryn her demon boss

Xander Summers - Portmanteau of Xander Harris and Buffy/Dawn Summers

There's also a guy called Grue Slugger or something - an apparent reference to Groosalugg, also from Pylea, who fell in love with Cordelia in Angel

Ah, I feel proud, I believe it was my first ever thread here that was that pop-culture thread. Started out as me noticing some Spinal Tap references...

SWF Break Like The Wind - after the Spinal Tap song of the same name.

SWF Master of Puppets - Metallica

SWF Welcome to the Jungle - Guns n Roses

"Angry" Gilmore - Adam Sandler film Happy Gilmore

Elmo Benson & Groucho Bling - Seasame Street's Elmo and Oscar the Grouch

Fredrique Antonia Garcia - not really a pop-culture reference, but a funny name still

"Gangster of Love" Alison Capone - Al Capone, infamous gangster. Steve Miller Band's "The Joker", some people call him the Space Cowboy...

Annie Hitch**** - Alfred Hitch****, renowned Director (lousy filter!)

Charlize Angelle - Charlie's Angles, 70s TV show (and the more recent movie adaptations)

Darma Gregg - Dharma & Greg, 90s TV show

Honey Golightly - Holly Golightly, main character of the 1961 film Breakfast at Tiffany's

Sara Silver - Comedienne Sarah Silverman

Debonaire David Peterson - Diamond Dallas Page

Markus Rush - NZ Radio and TV personality Marcus Lush

Geena the Warrior Princess - Xena, Warrior Princess, NZ-made 90s TV show

Jed High/Toby Juan Kanobi - Star Wars

Citizen X - 1995 movie (by the way, it says he used to be known as E.M.M Moe - what did that stand for? Not El Mexico Mesterio, surely!)

Duke Hazzard - The Dukes of Hazzard, 80s TV show and recent movie

Danny Fonzarelli - Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli, of 70s TV show Happy Days

Genghis Rahn - Genghis Kahn + Arlie Rahn

Jeremy "Scout" Finch - 1960 book / 1962 film To Kill a Mockingbird

Wiley Steinway - looks ike Spial Tap bassist Derek Smalls, had a tag team with Coyote Dynamite named after Looney Tunes character Wile. E. Coyote.

Here's my favorite....

Arthur Dexter Bradley (who debuts in 2009 and is part of the extended Samoan family) was the name of one of the petty thieves who identified Rubin "Hurricane" Carter as a perpetrator of a triple murder in Paterson, NJ in 1966. At the time Carter was a top 10 middleweight contender.

Carter was convicted in a controversial ruling and his cause was taken up by a number of celebrities including Muhammad Ali and Bob Dylan (in his famous song "Hurricane"). The decisions was overturned on appeal and Carter was granted a second trial, but was convicted again. In 1985 Carter was freed after a Federal Appeals Court threw out the second conviction and the prosecutors decided not to retry the case again.

Off the top of my head...

Charlize Angelle - Charlie's Angels Or, rather one of them.

Calamity Jona - Calamity Jane

Alison Capone - Al Capone

Bonnie Clyde - Bonnie and Clyde

Dan DaLay - Refers to Speedy Gonzales cries of "¡Ándale! ¡Ándale!"

Desert Storm - The codename for the first Gulf War.

Dusty Bin - Mascot from 3-2-1, the gameshow

Bobbie Dylan - Bob Dylan. As a chick. The "Woodstock Warrior" nickname kinda gives it away...

Faith - Faith from BtVS, right down to the whole no surname thing (unless you've read the RPG, in which case you know it's Lehane). :p

Fearless Blue - His real name, Kris Turkleton, is a reference to the Scrubs character Chris Turk, who Dr. Kelso thinks is called Turk Turkleton.

Danny Fonzarelli - The Fonz, dude!

Geena the Warrior Princess - Xena, Warrior Princess.

Golden Delicious - A variety of apple.

Wanda Fish - A Fish Called Wanda

Kali Fornia - Kalifornia is the title of a movie starring Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis, which I frickin' love.

Norman Gates - Norman Bates from Psycho

Honey Golightly - Probably a reference to Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's

Angry Gilmore - Happy Gilmore when he's in a bad mood :p

Dharma Gregg - Dharma and Greg, a hugely under-rated sitcom.

Randall Hopkirk - Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), a British TV show about a detective and his dead partner.

K-Squared - His real name Kenny Kuntz and the mention of "creative chants" in his profile may well b a reference to Fantasy Football League, and their relentless mocking of the German footballer Stefan Kuntz during Euro '96.

Boris Kiriyakin - I always read this as a Man from U.N.C.L.E. reference, since David McCallum's character is called Illya Kuryakin, which both seem to be pronounced very similarly.

Lobo Blanco - White Wolf Games.

Louis Figo Manico - Luis Figo, the footballer.

Zeus Maxmillion - Maximillion Zeus, Batman villain.

Bradford Peverell - A town in Dorset, England

Hannah Potter - Sounds like a Harry Potter reference to me...

Genghis Rahn - Genghis Kahn

Carol Singer - Carol singers. God, I hate them. That's why I never hire her.

Rolling Johnny Stones - The Rolling Stones.

Crockett Tubbs - Crockett and Tubbs from Miami Vice

Humphrey Woolsey - A combination of Sir Humphrey and Bernard from Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister's names.

Also, Amazing Fire Fly could be a reference to Firefly being amazing, but it's pushing it a tad, even if it's true. :p

The odd thing is that despite there being so many BtVS references in the game, Faith, the one that everyone has "spotted", isn't one of them - it was just a random name that I hadn't used yet, and the "no last name" was simply a reference to how WWE divas always seem to lose their surnames somehow. It didn't occur to me that it might be taken as a BtVS reference until recently.

Now Lehane being used as a surname in WMMA, that's a proper Faith reference :p

Oh, and for the record, Angry Gilmore has nothing to do with the movie, it's a reference to Thea Gilmore the singer-songwriter (one of the most referenced people in the game although I suspect nobody else has ever heard of her :p)

Lorne is of course named after everyone's favorite Pylean.

Miss Information was the name of a character from the cartoon Hysteria, but I think that's really just a case of two different mediums going for the same easy pun.

Fox Mask's finisher, FoxDie, of course refers to the deadly virus that infected Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid.

I suspect that Remo is named after the title character of The Destroyer series of novels.

Rahn to the Hills - Run to the Hills, the single that made Iron Maiden famous in 1981.

Oh, and for the record, Angry Gilmore has nothing to do with the movie, it's a reference to Thea Gilmore the singer-songwriter (one of the most referenced people in the game although I suspect nobody else has ever heard of her )

I have. Don't underestimate us teens.

:D I genuinely never noticed that...

Anyway,

Jack Bruce = Jack Bruce... of Cream.

A long time ago Adam said this was derived from a random generated name, Bruce Jackson. Since Bruce The Giant was already a big name, he just flipped it in a way.

Four more from the Buffyverse:

Pylea - Home planet of the green guy from Angel

Aud D'Hoffryn - Aud was Anya's original name, D'Hoffryn her demon boss

Xander Summers - Portmanteau of Xander Harris and Buffy/Dawn Summers

There's also a guy called Grue Slugger or something - an apparent reference to Groosalugg, also from Pylea, who fell in love with Cordelia in Angel

James Casey gets the word of the day award.

Citizen X - 1995 movie (by the way, it says he used to be known as E.M.M Moe - what did that stand for? Not El Mexico Mesterio, surely!)

I always thought E.M.M. Moe was simply a play on the 'emo' trend. But I'm probably wrong, since there was never anything remotely emo about him.

A rather obvious one: Ripper LeStat, named for Lestat de Lioncourt, main character of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles novels.

Willow - Willow from B:TVS

Shinanju Kick - Frankie Dee's finisher, I always thought it was a reference to the Destroyer series, as Chiun is the Master of Sinanju.

E.M.M. Moe - isn't it just a reference to MMO? (though I like the emo expalnation better)