The WCW Newsletter - a beginner's game

[B][CENTER]Introduction. [/CENTER][/B] I've been playing TEW08 for a bit now (my first TEW game, though I played WreSpi2) and I think I have a bit of a grasp of the game's basic mechanics now. Hence this diary to portray my attempts of managing WCW. I am using D16NJD16's fantastic 1991 mod. I started watching wrestling during that time (late 1991, actually), when I got satellite access in Germany. Since only WWF was around I was stuck with that (and a friend's subscription to PWI magazine) till WCW made its debut on a German sports channel in late 1992 or 93. While I always thought that WWF had the better storylines and angles I liked the in ring action of WCW much better. I admit that this is of course wide open for discussion, so I will leave it at that. :) Since ca. 1997 I followed the wrestling circus less and less, besides noticing that many of the workers I liked died. I did occasionally some fantasy wrestling in German and English leagues, but never quite much. Recently I got slightly interested again and consider subscribing to the cable channel here (I am now in Austria) that shows WWE and TNA on cable. This game shall be a bit of an attempt to rectify the eventual failure of WCW. Don't expect Victorian prose; I think it's best for me to run this as a sort of newsletter of WCW summing up events and goings on for the fans who had no chance to watch the shows. Helpful comments would be most welcome. ;) I noticed that the early 90s picture file had images of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson]Jeremy Clarkson[/url] which I thought would be great for a heel booker/commentator/personality, so my alter ego shall be Clark Jameson from England. :D I will try to update at least daily with a new show, but don't sue me if I don't manage. :p * * * [B][CENTER][SIZE="6"]January 1991[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B] Wrestling fans all over the country were surprised when [I]WCW[/I]'s owner Ted Turner presented his new manager for his promotion: Clark Jameson has earned fame as behind the scenes puller of strings in various popular UK promotions and his hiring stirs great hopes for the future of [I]World Championship Wrestling[/I]. In order for a clearer schedule of the promotion, Jameson has rescheduled the tv tapings for WCW's tv shows, Saturday Night and Power Hour, to tuesday and thursday respectively, allowing for house shows on mondays and wednesdays. Insiders say that Ted Turner nevertheless gave Jameson clear orders regarding his new job. Not only is CJ forced to keep the Cult status of WCW or improve on it. Additionally, popularity for Ric Flair and Sting is to be kept high in the U.S. Rumour has it that Turner also instructed Jameson not to hire anyone over the age of 42 or any spot monkeys. It will remain interesting to see what Jameson will do on his new jobs. Clearly, his most important names right now are [B]Sting, Ric Flair, Rick Rude, Sid Vicious and Scott Steiner[/B]. However, [B]Jushin Thunder Liger[/B] who is under PPA contract could become a major factor. His compatriots [B]Hiroshi Hase[/B] and [B]Masahiro Chono[/B] should not be underestimated, either. And mark my words - [B]The Juicer[/B] and [B]Badstreet [/B]might be two workers we should keep an eye on. And if [B]Big Van Vader [/B]can be put onto a good storyline, we might be in for a heck of a year! [CENTER][B][SIZE="5"]WCW Saturday Night[/SIZE][/B] [size="4"]New Orleans Auditorium (Att. 8,633)[/size][/CENTER] Before actual show began, the following dark matches were held: The [B]NightStalker [/B]defeated [B]P.N. News[/B] in 2:51 by pinfall with The Meltdown. (E+) [B]Scorpio [/B]defeated [B]Thomas Rich[/B] in 4:26 by pinfall with a Scorpio Splash. (D-) [B]The Patriots[/B] defeated [B]The State Patrol[/B] in 4:29 when Lt. James Earl Wright was disqualified while fighting Firebreaker Chip. The audience seemed to think that Buddy Lee Parker was rather weak in this match. (E) The TV show started with a self promo of the Horsemen [B]Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Barry Windham and Sid Vicious[/B] in the ring. They explained in detail how they would dominate the competition during the coming year - just as the coalition in the Gulf would dominate Saddam. (B-) During this the camera repeatedly cut to the audience where [B]Jushin Thunder Liger, Hiroshi Hase and Masahiro Chono[/B] watched bemusedly. (E+) [B]Sid Vicious[/B] stepped forward at the end of the Horsemen's promo, underlining the 4H claims for the top by calling out NWA champion [B]Sting[/B]. The challenged entered the arena to the cheers of the fans, and to Vicious' great surprise accepted the challenge, for the same night! (B+) The first TV match followed. [B]Nikita Koloff[/B] defeated [B]Mark Youngblood[/B] in 1:55 by pinfall with a Russian Sickle. (E+) Koloff kept pummeling his victim after the match. (D-) Only when [B]El Gigante [/B]entered to save the day did Koloff eventually leave the hall. (D+) In a special match of the evening [B]Terry Funk[/B] defeated [B]Barry Windham[/B] in 6:04 by pinfall in a parking lot brawl. Viewers really enjoyed how the two workers seemed to feed each other perfectly with their moves. (B-) However, it appears that Funk will have to take a break after the match [B]Lex Luger[/B] ran a promo for his U.S. title match against [B]Vader [/B]when the latter interrupted him together with his manager [B]Harley Race[/B] and the three erupted into a wild shouting match. (B+) [B]Brian Pillman[/B] and [B]Rick Rude[/B] fought it out for the vacant Light Heavyweight Title. However, the match ended in a draw when [B]Beautiful Bobby Eaton[/B], himself rumored contender for the title attacked both men when they were battling at ringside, causing a double count out. The title remains unclaimed. Fans thought that Rude and his manager, [B]Paul E. Dangerously[/B], looked rather good. (B-) In an upset, [B]Lex Luger[/B] defeated [B]Big Van Vader[/B] in 17:16 by a fast-counted pinfall while using the ropes for leverage. Lex Luger makes defence number 1 of his WCW United States Championship title. [B+] Vader was clearly unhappy with the result and I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't attempt to rectify tonight's result. (C+) [B]The Steiner Brothers[/B] defeated champions [B]Doom [/B]in 14:26 in a non-Title match when Rick Steiner defeated Ron Simmons by pinfall with The Bulldog following botched interference by Teddy Long. (C+) The NWA title match ended with a bit of an upset: [B]Sting [/B]drew with [B]Sid Vicious[/B] in 17:34 following a double disqualification when both shoved the referee Randy Anderson away who had tried to split them. (B) Their fighting didn't stop there: [B]Sid Vicious[/B] attacked [B]Sting [/B]backstage, but thanks to [B]Lex Luger[/B], Sid is run off before he could do any more damage. (B+) The show ended with Sting being stretchered off to an ambulance. (B+) Overall, the audience rated the show a C+, nevertheless generating a lot of praise, contrary to WWF's Wrestling Challenge. In other Wrestling world news: - Owen Hart, Steve Austin sign with WWF

[QUOTE=Vlad the Impaler;458585] Don't expect Victorian prose; I think it's best for me to run this as a sort of newsletter of WCW summing up events and goings on for the fans who had no chance to watch the shows. Helpful comments would be most welcome. ;) I noticed that the early 90s picture file had images of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson]Jeremy Clarkson[/url] which I thought would be great for a heel booker/commentator/personality, so my alter ego shall be Clark Jameson from England. :D [/QUOTE] I like the idea of a newsletter - adding comments as needs be, and leaving it to facts the rest of the time. And using Jeremy Clarkson as your avatar? :D I love it!

[QUOTE=James Casey;458591]I like the idea of a newsletter - adding comments as needs be, and leaving it to facts the rest of the time.[/QUOTE] Thanks. :) For the moment this thread will also serve as a vehicle for me to monitor my storylines without excessive use of notepads. Especially as all my plots are unchained and made up on the go. ;)

[CENTER][B][SIZE="5"]WCW Power Hour[/SIZE][/B] [size="4"]Convention Center - Austin, TX (Att. 1,656)[/size][/CENTER] The one hour B show was started off with a few dark matches to settle the audience: The [B]NightStalker [/B]defeated [B]Mark Youngblood[/B] in 2:33 by pinfall with The Meltdown. (D-) [B]The Juicer[/B] and [B]Chris Youngblood[/B] defeated [B]Ranger Ross[/B] and [B]Sam Houston[/B] in 5:54 when The Juicer defeated Ranger Ross by submission with a Single Leg Crab. The crowd was sorely disappointed in this match of what they considered jobbers. (F) [B]Jacko Victory[/B] defeated [B]Todd Champion[/B] in 3:02 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (D+) The show started off with [B]Hiroshi Hase / Chono[/B] defeating [B]Miracle Violence Connection[/B] in 5:51 when Steve Williams was disqualified while fighting Hiroshi Hase. (C-) It was followed by [B]El Gigante[/B] defeating [B]Dick Slater[/B] in 3:55 by submission with a Choke. (D) After the match [B]Nikita Koloff [/B]stormed to the ring, trying to get revenge for Gigante's interference on Saturday Night, but Gigante managed again to chase off the Russian. (D+) Next up was Tony Schiavoni who visited the hospital where Sting was recovering from the injuries sustained by Sid Vicious. Sting swore that Sid Vicious would get what he deserved soon enough. (B+) [B]The Southern Boys[/B] defeated [B]The Vegas Connection[/B] in 9:45 when Tracy Smothers defeated Oz by pinfall with The South. (E) After the match, DDP berated Oz for his poor performance and attacked him. It appears The Vegas Connection is all but history. The crowd booed DDP for his actions and cheered Oz when he finally gathered his wits and left the hall. (D) [B]Jushin Thunder Liger[/B] defeated [B]Scorpio [/B]in 5:53 by submission. The two didn't seem to work well together at all. (D) Liger refused to relinquish the submission hold after the match. Only when officials entered the ring did he reluctantly let go. (E+) Backstage, Johnny B. Badd takes aside Oz, talking to him after the Vegas Connection split. (D-) At the end of the show, [B]Clark Jameson[/B] took the stage. He announced that after Saturday Night's draw between [B]Sting [/B]and [B]Vicious [/B]there would be a rematch at [B]WCW Supershow[/B] that weekend, injured Sting or not. In other news: - [B]Terry Taylor[/B] has left WCW to become a booker at PPW. Overall, the show was rated by the audience at D-.

Archived