Promotions in CVerse and Real Life Counterparts

I searched for this but couldn't find anything. If it has been answered, you can just point me to the appropriate thread. As the title states, what are the promotions in the CVerse most matched up to the real life promotions. I would think that SWF would be WWE and TCW would be TNA (given the product). Would the Pittsburgh promotion be linked to what ECW used to be? Reason I ask is because I'm trying to start a game and not being too familiar with the CVerse, I was looking to see what I would be ok running. I like APW's lack of competition in Australia, but the product seems a little restrictive. Any help on this would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=CQI13;470603]I searched for this but couldn't find anything. If it has been answered, you can just point me to the appropriate thread. As the title states, what are the promotions in the CVerse most matched up to the real life promotions. I would think that SWF would be WWE and TCW would be TNA (given the product). Would the Pittsburgh promotion be linked to what ECW used to be? Reason I ask is because I'm trying to start a game and not being too familiar with the CVerse, I was looking to see what I would be ok running. I like APW's lack of competition in Australia, but the product seems a little restrictive. Any help on this would be appreciated.[/QUOTE] As described in the thread where someone noticed similarities between Owen Love (c-verse) and Owen Hart (real life), the promotions are amalgams of real life feds. DAVE, who died out in 2007, is a pretty clear analogue of ECW, but not a direct copy. TCW has shades of WCW (especially in its HGC incarnation), TNA, and even old school NWA to it. SWF maps well to WWE but is more of a what-if? than a direct clone. After that, a lot of the comparisons break down. The puro feds have little in common with their real life counterparts, other than the fact that both were all but single-handedly created by one man (Master Kitozon in the c-verse, Rikidozan in real life). Mexico is another one where it doesn't really map well, although El Patron is a pretty obvious reference to El Santo. Canada is a true what if? story. As in, what if Calgary Stampede hadn't folded and what if a World Class Championship Wrestling was a Canadian fed instead of a Texan fed. (At least to me, the DeColts and the Von Erichs are incredibly similar apart from the drug issues).

[QUOTE=Sigilistic;470608]As described in the thread where someone noticed similarities between Owen Love (c-verse) and Owen Hart (real life), the promotions are amalgams of real life feds. DAVE, who died out in 2007, is a pretty clear analogue of ECW, but not a direct copy. TCW has shades of WCW (especially in its HGC incarnation), TNA, and even old school NWA to it. SWF maps well to WWE but is more of a what-if? than a direct clone. After that, a lot of the comparisons break down. The puro feds have little in common with their real life counterparts, other than the fact that both were all but single-handedly created by one man (Master Kitozon in the c-verse, Rikidozan in real life). Mexico is another one where it doesn't really map well, although El Patron is a pretty obvious reference to El Santo. Canada is a true what if? story. As in, what if Calgary Stampede hadn't folded and what if a World Class Championship Wrestling was a Canadian fed instead of a Texan fed. (At least to me, the DeColts and the Von Erichs are incredibly similar apart from the drug issues).[/QUOTE] You hit the nail on the head. The INSPIRE promotion's creation seems to share a lot of similarities with Pro Wrestling NOAH (massive defections leading to the creation of a third brand upstart promotion), but at the same time, BHOTWG's product looks a lot more like NJPW (ditto its top spot in the rankings) than APW. And some promotions don't really have any anologue: AAA is a women's promotion, but bears more of a resemblance to an updated GLOW than SHIMMER. As far as the OP's question, I see PSW as more of a Combat Zone equivalent than an ECW: ECW had pay per view deals, great workers, and a lot of fans. PSW is too small for a TV deal, and features Tank Bradley and the Wolverine at the top of the card. I really see more WCW (pre-97) and NWA/WCW than TNA in TCW: there isn't a modern style, there isn't a focus on cruiserweights or athleticism, and there's far more slow-paced clubbering than I would expect to see in a product like TNA's. But the best way to figure this stuff out is to dive in and play the game.

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;470616]I'd argue that NOTBPW is more in line with WCCW than CGC.[/QUOTE] Eh, YMMV. NOTBPW is more like Calgary Stampede to me, with the Stones and Harts and whatnot. But I think that your point of view is equally valid given the deliberate blurring of the lines by the C-verse's creator.

[QUOTE=sheepy;470662]TCW to me is a popular version of ROH. When you look at the product I don't see any comparison between TNA and WCW (in fact I'd argue that they were the complete opposites of TCW).[/QUOTE] That's why I said pre-97 WCW, when it was more "old school." I agree ROH is a good analogue, except replace TCW's mainstream with cult and turn up some of the modern/daredevil and pure aspects, making the product a little faster and more intense.

PSW is pretty clearly influenced by CZW, RoH and all the other promotions that suddenly appeared when ECW died, and tried to 'carry on' the various aspects of where they left off. CZCW remind me of PWG, and the other SoCal indies, for obvious reasons. 21CW are pretty much FWA, but that's kinda unavoidable.

Archived