Breaking up/changing The Syndicate

Playing as TCW, I have feuded Cornell (who still refuses to job) with every big face: Ricky Dale Johnson, Tyson Baine, Eddie Peak, Rick Law, a returning and face turned Troy Tornado and more recently with Dan Stone Jr, whom I signed after he left NOTBPW. So I am fast running out of challengers. I have been considering three options: - Turn Cornell face after Wolf Hawkins grabs control away from him. - Turn Hawkins face in a manner similar to the Evolution/Orton deal: Hawkins wins a battle royal to become #1 contender, Cornell wants him to lay down, Hawkins refuses and gets beaten down and kicked out of the stable. - Break up the entire stable Which do you think is the best option? Or what have you done in your games to break them apart?

From a character standpoint, I'm partial to the Wolf Hawkins turn myself. Logistically it might be better to switch Tommy, as you'll have 3-4 fresh challengers, as opposed to 1. Still, if I were you, I'd turn Wolfy. Personal preference.

I would have Hawkins turn on the stable (i.e. like Batista did after winning the Rumble) as opposed to having the stable turn on him (granted, the one changing is Hawkins, but it goes over better if he's the one on the offensive).

[QUOTE](granted, the one changing is Hawkins, but it goes over better if he's the one on the offensive).[/QUOTE] Are you speaking for yourself and how you would prefer it or is this a game thing (turns go better in a game sense)? And I would guess that would entail an angle with an attacker or catalyst role would result in a higher chance of a successful turn as compared to one where the turner is a subject or victim. I have to say I kinda disagree with that philosophy for face turns. I'm a big believer in penance as a creative nugget, that there should be some sort of karmic payback for your previous misdeeds before you can be a true hero, although that payback can come a little later (effectively doing both). Not that every face turn has or should be that way but I believe that one method is not inherently better than the other, they both have their virtues depending on the character. Not a big deal if the game is coded that way, I've made both types of turns work and I can make the creative match the mechanical. But its something to mention so I did. As far as what to do, I'd turn Wolfy. I turned Sammy Bach and that got him popular enough for Cornell to agree to drop the belt to him. Then you have fresh challengers to your belts. and Tommy doesn't play a face too well.

Depends if you have kept the default stable or added to it also, my 1st TCW game Sam Keith retired in march so that threw a spanner in the works. Last few times I usually just break up the whole stable and turn Wolf face, sometimes Sam also IF he lasts that long using the fact that they don't have titles and are sick of helping Tommy keep his (I have Wolf drop the International title to Koshiro Ino usually as he is an International star!) Hope that gives you some ideas.

Well, I do have another face challenger who is now a main eventer and has yet to feud with Cornell and that is Rocky Golden, who is the one that took the International Title from Hawkins in my game. Also Scout is a Main Eventer now, but he is part of my tag team champions and I do not want him to go singles yet. I have gotten both members of the New Wave really over after feuding with the monster team of American Buffalo and a heel turned Tyson Baine. Also Freddy Huggins is a main eventer after a feud with Rocky Golden (in which he lost a lot, but got massively over!). I have paired up Huggins and Sammy Bach with their new bodyguard, Hell's Bouncer, and they will be next in line to feud with The New Wave once the monsters are out of the way. The thing is, Wolf has been out of the title picture for so long! After dropping the title to Golden he was used to put over Rick Law and Eddie Peak and turn them into main eventers and I also fed him to Dan Stone Jr to give him credibility as a challenger, so I need to build him back up. So I have decided to turn Wolf face then and I have designed a storyline to do so. Sam Keith retired, so I had Tommy Cornell name Wolf Hawkins as his second in command. Cornell wanted to bring in Sammy Bach as Keith's replacement and a guy that could get the All-Action title into the hands of The Syndicate from champion Edd Stone(face turned). But Wolf pushed for Cornell to bring in his former partner Stevie Grayson instead and they did. However, Grayson proves to be a total failure in the role and Cornell blames Hawkins for his choice. This will lead to an internal feud and the stable will split, with Cornell and Brent Hill in one side and Wolf and John Anderson in the other.

I would have Wolf Hawkins try to be sneaky and convince the Syndicate that he has their best interest and Cornell is only holding them back. Then have Sam Keith or Wolf Hawkins win a #1 contenders match. If its Keith have Wolf tell him that Cornell will not let Keith win but if Keith forms an allegiance to him then Keith will get his help. Then the match goes on and Keith gives all of his effort only for Syndicate members to run in per Cornells orders. Only then they all attack Cornell giving him the win and keeping his belt. (His creative controll will go with it.) Then Cornell will turn face and the Syndicate will be run by Wolf Hawkins. Cornell can feud with all of them 1 by 1 before dropping the belt to either Keith or Hawkins.

Thanks for the suggestions, so this is what I am doing. Like I said, I brought in Grayson as Hawkins protege of sorts. Cornell wanted someone who could win the All-Action title from Edd Stone and he originally wanted Sammy Bach, but Hawkins convinced him otherwise. Grayson failed badly. Cornell blamed Hawkins. With The New Wave as Tag Champions, Hawkins asked for a chance to redeem Grayson and said that he would reform their partnership and bring back the tag team titles to The Syndicate. In the meantime, Brent Hill became International Champion after ending the four month reign of Rocky Golden. He started acting like a big star in front of his partner John Anderson and gloating about his singles title. This will lead to a split, with Anderson winning a #1 contenders match, but Cornell telling him not to take the shot at Hill. What will happen is this: Hawkins and Grayson fail to bring in the tag team titles. In the meantime, Anderson wants his shot at Hill. Cornell makes a promo about how The Syndicate seems to be falling apart, but that he will fix it. Next week, he calls out Grayson and fires him from The Syndicate. At the PPV, Hawkins comes in to confront Cornell about his decision, but he says that he has everything under control and tells Hawkins that there is one more piece of business they need to take care of. During the John Anderson vs Brent Hill match, Hawkins runs in and causes a DQ just as Anderson was about to win. Cornell then comes in and they officially demolish Anderson and kick him out as well (which leads to a return of the Human Arsenal persona). The very next night, Cornell comes in with Hawkins and Hill. They explain that they need to take The Syndicate back to it's roots. They need a good working tag team, hired muscle and a smart veteran to serve as second in command. This draws an angry glare from Hawkins. He talks smack to Tommy and Brent Hill attacks him from behind. Hawkins is beaten down and kicked aside like garbage. Cornell then introduces his NEW Syndicate: Freddy Huggins, Sammy Bach, Hell's Bouncer and Joel Bryant as his second in command. He also names Brent Hill his new protege. Now The NEW Syndicate have the World Champion (Cornell), the Tag Team Champions (Huggins and Bach as "The Future"), the International Champion (Brent Hill), the veteran (Joel Bryant) and the muscle (Hell's Bouncer, who was the bodyguard of Bach and Huggins). Why I did this? Well, Bryant, Huggins and Hill where getting insanely over for no particular reason, so I decided to run with it. Plus, I always liked the name Human Arsenal and wanted Anderson to get a chance to work as such. I think he is going to be the "Chris Benoit" of my fed and eventually become World Champion.

I kept the Syndicate as it was for about 18 months (except for Sam Keith's retirement). The big thing I did was to get them off the International and Tag Titles and make them totally focused on keeping the strap on Tommy. Wolf and The Machines don't really benefit from the titles. The only way I could do this was to have RDJ take the belt of Tommy at the Total Mayhem 13 and keep it for six months. It's do-able if you give RDJ an incredible push in the short time you have, but I understand that if you were following C-Verse history then having yet another RDJ/Tommy feud is almost cheating. It's probably possible with Rocky Golden or Rick Law too I suppose. From that point I kept The Syndicate's goal the same and now it's Tommy with Wolf and Rick Law as his guard dogs. I had Human Arsenal kicked out of the stable and turned Brent Hill after several embarrassing Machine losses to make it just the trio. Brent got turned out of sympathy for his declining years and the superb matches he'd done for me, I had him feud against the Syndicate and actually go over Tommy (!!!) but now he's done that I'm going to use him as momentum fodder for up and coming heels. EDIT - TEWFan - That's awesome, I think you've got all you need there. It's great hearing how someone else is tackling the same stuff.

See, stuff like this is why I think TCW is so interesting in 2008. So many possible directions. Other possibilites on turning Hawkins... -Hawkins and Machines both drop their titles fairly early and feud with whoever they lost them to (Minnesota and New Wave, typically) for a bit. When the Machines can't get the tag titles back, Cornell orders Hawkins to tag up with someone and get the titles. Find someone Hawkins has good tag chemistry with (endlessly possibilities, whether someone who starts in TCW or not). Hawkins becomes good friends with said tag partner, who never really becomes a full Syndicate member. Slowly makes Hawkins realize he's better off out of Cornell's shadow. Great way to build up another workers as well. -have Cornell get a new protege. In my own game, I picked Rick Law. Initially, Law was part of The Alliance babyface stable. But after some great matches between him and Cornell (they had good chemistry), Cornell showed him some respect. The Alliance was using some of the same sneak-attack techniques as The Syndicate, so Cornell very gradually made Law realize that the "good guys" were no better than the "bad guys". I also worked in Cornell's straight-edge lifestyle as something that Law respected. Law very gradually gets Syndicated, Hawkins get puhsed out a bit, and we have a reason for a turn.

Archived