what the best football sim to get as of today?

jbmagic

Give the Puresim2k4 demo a try and see how you like it. Just remember that its designed to run with historical data for replays or fictional players for normal play. For single player I find it better than OOTPB5 (not got 6) but both are great games. Front Office Football 2k4 is good too but I never gave it enough time to really get into it and played more TPF as it was easier to sim on a week to week basis as a GM (my preffered method of playing - too lazy to alter gameplans ;)). FOF is better but if TPF gets updated and addresses the coaching issues then it could be #1. Football Manager 2k5 is king of all sport management games but if your knowlage of soccer is limited (like me when playing ice hockey games or basketball games :p) then it would be hard to get into - tho it does include the full MLS league licence.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one thing that stands out in TPF (as many would agree on I believe) is the draft model. I loved the way Arlie did it. It seemed as if you are really there. It (TPF) still had some issues but I truley think that Arlie will build upon an already decent concept.

[QUOTE=MizzouRah]FOF 2k4 looks good from what i read...wow is there real nfl roster updated for it? [b]Yes[/b] how accurate the stats on it? [b]Most accurate football sim out there, imo[/b] is the AI teams in solo challenging? [b]On wall street difficulty, yes[/b] will personal make a difference? for example if you have a bad offense line , will it be hard to run ? [b]yes, personnel makes a BIG difference[/b] how is gameplan ? complex to set up? [b]I let my coaches handle all that stuff, I'm more of a GM like in TPB[/b] how online league? [b]Check out the HFL: [url]http://hfl.majecc.net/[/url] - I'm the Falcons[/b] is fof 2k4 better than total pro football? [b]Never played past the demo in TPF, but aside from the draft, thanks Ben (Skydog at FOFC), I couldn't get into it as much as FOF 2004. Although TPF has recieved praise from many over at .400 studios[/b] Head over to FOFC and post a message about real NFL rosters. I also have 6-8 logo sets I made for FOF 2004. Todd[/QUOTE] Nice site. :) FOF4 looks as if it has HTML generated reports now. Intersting. Jim must have added that in a patch. He did a very nice job.

[QUOTE=jbmagic]puresim 2k4..not good for real current players like ootp ? how come? why is puresim better for historical when ootp and puresim use the same lathman database? and fictional? thanks[/QUOTE] Other than a 2003 MLB roster add-on for Puresim (which had to be removed due to licence issues) you can only play with historical rosters or game generated players. Its just easier to get [u]current[/u] MLB rosters for OOTPB than Puresim, thats all. I didn't say Puresim was better for historical than OOTPB, I certainly don't use rosters from past years for either game so can't really judge on what ones best for doing this. I do prefer Puresim when I play with generated names though - like I said, give the demo a go if you havn't already done so :)

thanks so much so each coach and coordinator for offense and defense has there style of play they play and pick the gameplan style they like...so there like a puregm mode style on it? [b]Pretty much, each coach has ratings in different categories.[/b] is there custom league size too? [b]I don't think so.[/b] what Utility you recommend i will need for fof2k4 when i get it? [b]FOF viewer is pretty neat.[/b] i think fof 2k4 will be my next sim game to get soon.. no graphic or sound no biggie..but i glad game is stable and stats and game challenge is in it... but hopefully if fof 2k5 comes out it will add graphic interface and game sound..... [b]Me too.[/b]

[QUOTE=Maximus]Nice site. :) FOF4 looks as if it has HTML generated reports now. Intersting. Jim must have added that in a patch. He did a very nice job.[/QUOTE] Yeah, they did a great job on the site. I'm impressed with FOF multiplayer, really immersive. This site is the cream of the crop for FOF 2004 multiplayer: [url]http://www.fof-ihof.com/[/url] Todd

[QUOTE=MizzouRah]Yeah, they did a great job on the site. I'm impressed with FOF multiplayer, really immersive. This site is the cream of the crop for FOF 2004 multiplayer: [url]http://www.fof-ihof.com/[/url] Todd[/QUOTE] Wow, thats sweet. Very nice. :D I have to admit, I am a stat freak but I do like my eye candy...lol. FOF is really a great sim (I refuse to say game :) ) but the interface is my least favorite. However, FOF is the strongest (and the oldest) of the two text football sims, meaning TPF/FOF. Having said that, FOF has the better sim engine in some ways.

[QUOTE=Maximus]Wow, thats sweet. Very nice. I have to admit, I am a stat freak but I do like my eye candy...lol. FOF is really a great sim (I refuse to say game :) ) but the interface is my least favorite. However, FOF is the strongest (and the oldest) of the two text football sims, meaning TPF/FOF. Having said that, FOF has the better sim engine in some ways.[/QUOTE] Thats it Max you're out of the TPF fanboy club. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Danny Drickman]FOFC offseason stuff is pretty good. End of game AI I have heard has some problems (I generally dont play my games out, so dont notice it), but I think got fixed. FOF's greatest strength for me is its stat keeping.[/QUOTE] thanks from the readme i tought it got fix on latest version 5.0d..just curious if peopel notice AI making the correct decision at end of the game now.. damn sim games are addicting..i guess i need to get this game one day too...

[QUOTE=jbmagic]thanks from the readme i tought it got fix on latest version 5.0d..just curious if peopel notice AI making the correct decision at end of the game now.. damn sim games are addicting..i guess i need to get this game one day too...[/QUOTE] Yes, one of the hardest games for me to be at the top for longer than 1-2 years, then it's rebuilding time for me. With patch d, the game is very..very.. tight. There are also nice little touches like team draft grades after the draft, tons of stat tracking, fastest and strongest players in the league, you can get fired, you can resign and take on another team, etc.. Get the darn game already!! :p Todd

damn you guys FOF and fastbreak college basketball are high on my list to get real soon. i already got ootp 6 and TPB 2005. damn i need more than 24 hours in a day... if FOF is tight ..i bet college football TCY great too? and puresim looking awesome with there last few patches too

I am not a huge fan of TCY, but it believed to be the best college football game out there. I can't really pinpoint why I wasn't able to get into it so much and in all honesty havn't played it in a couple years. It's possible if I repurchased now that my opinion could change.

[QUOTE=Danny Drickman]I am not a huge fan of TCY, but it believed to be the best college football game out there. I can't really pinpoint why I wasn't able to get into it so much and in all honesty havn't played it in a couple years. It's possible if I repurchased now that my opinion could change.[/QUOTE] You need TCY Helper, which helps some of the tedious (mainly time management) parts of the game. Someone over at FOFC surely has the install for it. Edit: Jim has also updated the game recently with conference changes. Todd

what is a tcy helper? what does it do? any other utilities you recommend for TCY? how is TCY compare to FOF? and for FOF what utilities you recommend to get for it? does the real roster work for 5.0d? because it says Real Player File***Updated 12/2/2K3 To Match 5.0b Patch*** is fictional players names and ratings always different on FOF when you create new league? is there customize league size on FOF? thanks

jbmagic, you are the question master. :D TCY doesnt compare with FOF because one is for college play and the other (FOF) is for pro. You can, however, import TCY players (college players) into FOF4. [B]is there customize league size on FOF?[/B] No. Before plunging into another football game, I would say wait for a little while longer. You never, never know.....when something new might come along. :D

thanks to ALL you guys been real cool, and sorry i ask alot of questions :) these sports text game get me all pump up.... tpb 2005 is awesome....and might get that fastbreak college basketball looks great too... and for football not sure...FOF 2k4 is so tempting that i might just get it and have a football sim to play until Arlie new football game or FOF new version come out and then decide what to get next... TCY looks good too, if i had to choose one which one will you guys go with TCY or fof 2k4..i know one is collge and one is pro...

[QUOTE=jbmagic]what is a tcy helper? what does it do? any other utilities you recommend for TCY? how is TCY compare to FOF? and for FOF what utilities you recommend to get for it? does the real roster work for 5.0d? because it says Real Player File***Updated 12/2/2K3 To Match 5.0b Patch*** is fictional players names and ratings always different on FOF when you create new league? is there customize league size on FOF? thanks[/QUOTE] THere is no customized league size in FOF or TPF.

[QUOTE=MizzouRah]I just can't get into CM or FM 2005. :( Todd[/QUOTE] If you're not a soccer fan then that can sometimes be the case - although often it isn't ... it takes time to pick up the basics of the sport and get your head around things. On the brighter side for people who aren't soccer fans, we've released NHL EHM (Hockey Sim) and are working with Markus on a new version of OOTP (baseball) .... Hope this helps, Marc PS. Previous summary of the situation with Eidos & SI is correct, Eidos kept the name, SI kept our database and all game code ... Eidos are creating a brand new game which they'll use the CM name on, FM has just been released and appears to be doing fairly well so far.

Archived