Finishers...

Just wondering on the naming convention of aerial moves and how they will turn out in game. For instance, I'm wondering if I name a finisher something specific such as "top turnbuckle dropkick" for example, and flag it as "can be done off ladders, etc" (which is what i'm assuming top rope moves fit under), am I going to run into any problems with in-game commentary saying something conflicting like "so-and-so got the win with The Top Turnbuckle Dropkick off a ladder."? I really should know this, but I've done so little playing of 08 compared to mod work.. :/ And I guess while I'm asking.. where does "can be done onto a chair" or cheating level of a move come into use in the game? Coz I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that would take them into account, that I've seen.

Hmm yeah. That definitely creates some issues, especially when trying to differentiate between secondar, uber, and normal finishers, where the only difference may be where they do the move from. Or moves where a top rope drop is realistic, but not something higher like a ladder. Quick thought, if you didn't flag it for being "can be done off ladders, etc" and instead just named it "off a ladder", "off the top rope", etc.. would that work without problems?

Clearly so, but sometimes I like or need to create a variation of that generic-done in the middle of the ring-move. Especially if it's a fake move noone's ever seen or knows how it's done, before. All for added immersion and whatnot you understand :)

Last question on this: for "can be done on chairs", "can be done off a ladder", etc... would I be correct in taking that to mean it can be done on ladders/chairs/etc AS WELL as being done in the middle of the ring with no added frills, and the finish you get is either random or relying on match stipulations? Or should I take it to mean "can [only] be done on chairs", "can [only] be done off a ladder", etc... And that's the only way you'll ever see them done? Either way it'd exclude someone. Moves that can be done either way need double entrys in the second interpretation, and moves that can only be done one way aren't always going to make sense in the first. Quandry hmmm... This'll also mean whether or not I'll have to go and edit my current moveset :/

I've never looked at the finishers part of the editor so I have no real idea, but as far as avoiding the "Top Turnbuckle Dropkick off a ladder" part just call it an "Avalanche dropkick" I've never heard a striking move of the top rope referred to as avalanche but it's a common adjective for holds done off the top turnbuckle.

[QUOTE=Sartagis;491902]I've never looked at the finishers part of the editor so I have no real idea, but as far as avoiding the "Top Turnbuckle Dropkick off a ladder" part just call it an "Avalanche dropkick" I've never heard a striking move of the top rope referred to as avalanche but it's a common adjective for holds done off the top turnbuckle.[/QUOTE] that works good thinking you could also use 'flying'

[QUOTE=crayon;490977]Last question on this: for "can be done on chairs", "can be done off a ladder", etc... would I be correct in taking that to mean it can be done on ladders/chairs/etc AS WELL as being done in the middle of the ring with no added frills, and the finish you get is either random or relying on match stipulations? Or should I take it to mean "can [only] be done on chairs", "can [only] be done off a ladder", etc... And that's the only way you'll ever see them done? Either way it'd exclude someone. Moves that can be done either way need double entrys in the second interpretation, and moves that can only be done one way aren't always going to make sense in the first. Quandry hmmm... This'll also mean whether or not I'll have to go and edit my current moveset :/[/QUOTE] They're dynamic and can be done no frills. For example, the "DDT" in my mod has the "can cause blood" and "can be done onto chairs" tags ticked, but they only come into play if one of those is important to the match (it can be used to end a First Blood match, or done onto a chair as the finish to a Chairs legal type match like TLC, for example). I haven't played around much with the "Illegal" dropdown or "Martinete" tickbox, but I'm guessing they might come into play in Tainted/DQ finishes or as the finish in no DQ Matches, with the latter not being used in Mexico outside the Tainted/DQ finish types as an Uber finish because they're highly illegal there and sold like a shotgun blast to the face. I agree with the use of "Flying" as an adjective to describe a move done from a high place if it's a type of move that can be down from multiple locations (Flying Dropkick, Flying Elbow Drop, Flying Headbutt, Flying Headscissors-Armbar Submission). I've found that the larger the Move part of your database becomes, the easier it becomes to do Movesets, since one "DDT" Move entry can be used for every Moveset that uses that Move. Plus many moves and variations are identical stat-wise, so you can simply copy the preexisting move and rename the copy (Spear and Gore and Three Point Stance). The problem is getting your list of moves up to that level to begin with and the occasional move that wrestler X uses as a Secondary Finisher that's a common enough move that several use it has their primary finisher (but that's easy enough to fix by copying the main move entry and setting the copy up as the secondary finisher with a logical name, "Homicide's Ace Crusher" for example, so that he has his secondary finisher without every Ace Crusher in your mod becoming a secondary).

Archived