WWE 2009 - A New Year, A New Direction

[center][IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd336/DansOP/NewYear2.jpg[/IMG][/center] [i]This diary starts January, Week 1, 2009 and will be following the fortunes of all three WWE brands.[/i] [SIZE="5"][b]Backstory[/b][/SIZE] The McMahon’s ([i]and Paul Levesque[/i]) walked into Titan Towers in Stamford, CT at the end of December to join the rest of the WWE Creative and Executive team for the End of Year Evaluation. 2008 had been a mixed year for the company. WrestleMania, which has always been a major positive for the company this time stood out as maybe the only real positive point in the last twelve months, with the possible exception of the Shawn Michaels/ Chris Jericho feud. On the negative side of things, TNA had been gaining popularity all year long, and were catching up on WWE. It might not have been as fast as TNA management would have liked but within two years the two companies would be in a head to head war. WWE management decided that several changes were needed if they were going to keep TNA at bay. With the influx of new talent over the previous twelve months the rosters had become unbalanced, so Vince and the writers drafted out plans to make suitable changes to this. It was decided that rather than doing another draft show, especially at the start of the new year, that the changes would be made effective as of tomorrow with an announcement on WWE.com. Vince also decided that ECW needed a major reshuffle, and decided that it would be best for him to personally appear on ECW to announce them on Tuesday evening as ECW had been awarded a new contract on USA Network for a 90 minute show. The meeting lasted a further two hours with various business strategies and plans put into place for the next couple of months until the AGM in May. The McMahon family left the meeting with renewed hope that this would be the make or break year for the WWE. Would this new strategy work?

[I]WWE.com[/I] [SIZE="4"][B]An Unprecedented Move[/B][/SIZE] [I]Monday, Week 1, January 2009[/I] The New Year may have only just begun, but it’s just another day at the office for Mike Adamle, Vickie Guerrero, and Theodore Long. In an unprecedented move by the chairman of the board, Mr. McMahon ordered that all contracted WWE superstars effectively become free agents, and the GM’s have been on the phone all day trying to convince the superstars to sign with their brand. As a result any champion that jumps ship will automatically be stripped of their title, and it will be the General Manager’s decision as to how to decide the new champion. We asked Smackdown General Manager Vickie Guerrero on her thoughts for this unique situation. She said: “It is not how I thought I’d be spending New Year’s Day. I haven’t been able to get everyone I would have wanted, but on the whole I’m happy with what I’ve now got. I've finally been able to get rid of some of the 'dead wood' that was dragging down Smackdown's product.” We’ll have more on this story when it becomes available.

[B][SIZE="4"]ROSTERS[/SIZE][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]Raw[/COLOR][/B] Bam Neely (H) Batista (F) Beth Phoenix (H) Candice Michelle (F) Charlie Haas (F) Chavo Guerrero (H) Chris Harris (H) CM Punk (F) Cody Rhodes (H) DH Smith (H) Festus (F) Gavin Spears (H) Hardcore Holly (F) Jack Swagger (F) Jackie Gayda (F) James Yang (H) Jamie Noble (H) Jeff Hardy (F) Jesse (F) JTG (F) Kane (H) Katie Lea (H) Kofi Kingston (F) Manu (H) Mark Henry (H) Melina (H) Mickie James (F) Nigel McGuiness (H) Paul Burchill (H) Randy Orton (H) Rey Mysterio (F) Rob Conway (H) Santino Marella (H) Shad (F) Shannon Moore (F) Shawn Michaels (F) Ted DiBiase (H) The Great Khali (H) Val Venis (F) Victoria (H) William Regal (H) [B][COLOR="Red"]RAW Champions[/COLOR][/B]: [B]World Heavyweight[/B] – Randy Orton [I](beat Chris Jericho at Armageddon)[/I] [B]Intercontinental [/B]– Kofi Kingston [I](won at Cyber Sunday)[/I] [B]Womens [/B]– Melina [I](won six pack challenge at Survivor Series)[/I] [B]World Tag[/B] – Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes [I](regained from Cryme Tyme 15th Dec)[/I] [B][COLOR="Navy"]Smackdown [/COLOR][/B] Brie Bella (F) Bubba Ray Dudley (F) Carlito (F) Chris Jericho (H) Chuck Palumbo (H) Curt Hawkins (H) Doug Williams (F) D-Von Dudley (F) Edge (H) Ezekial Jackson (H) Finlay (F) Funaki (F) Gail Kim (H) Hornswoggle (F) Jazz (H) Jillian Hall (H) John Cena (F) John Morrison (H) Johhny Jeter (H) Juventud (F) Kelly Kelly (F) Kid Kash (H) Lance Cade (H) Matt Hardy (F) Michelle McCool (F) MVP (H) Natalya (H) Nick Nemeth (H) Nicole Bella (F) Primo Colon (F) R-Truth (F) Scotty 2 Hotty (F) Scotty Goldman (H) The Big Show (H) The Boogeyman (F) The Brian Kendrick (H) The Miz (H) The Undertaker (F) Trevor Murdoch (H) Triple H (F) Zack Ryder (H) [B][COLOR="Navy"]Smackdown Champions[/COLOR][/B] [B]WWE Title[/B] – Edge [I](regained at Survivor Series)[/I] [B]United States[/B] – VACATED [I](Chavo defected to RAW)[/I] [B]Divas [/B]– Natalya [I](beat Michelle McCool on Smackdown in Nov)[/I] [B]WWE Tag Team[/B] – Dudley Boyz [I](won in their first match at Armageddon)[/I] [B][COLOR="Purple"]ECW [/COLOR][/B] Alicia Fox (F) Armando Estrada (H) Colin Delaney (H) Deuce (F) D’Lo Brown (F) Elijah Burke (H) Evan Bourne (F) Gregory Helms (H) Jay Briscoe (F) JBL (H) Joey Matthews (F) Kenny Dykstra (F) Kevin Thorn (H) Layla (H) Lena Yada (H) Little Guido (F) Lonny Compton (H) Luca DiRisio (F) Maria (F) Mark Briscoe (F) Maryse (H) Mike Knox (H) Monty Brown (H) Mr. Kennedy (F) Paul London (F) Psicosis (H) Ricky Ortiz (F) Ryan Braddock (H) Shelton Benjamin (H) Snitsky (H) Stevie Richards (H) Super Crazy (F) Test (H) Tiffany (F) Tommy Dreamer (F) Umaga (H) Vladimir Kozlov (H) [B][COLOR="Purple"]ECW Champions[/COLOR][/B] [B]ECW World Title[/B] – VACATED [I](Matt Hardy defected to Smackdown)[/I] [i][b]O.O.C.[/b] There are quite a few signings/re-signings as you can see from this list that are not currently in the WWE. This is because I wanted to start a diary using the likes of Doug Williams and The Briscoes in a WWE diary. This is why I've started this diary in 2009. Only workers that have already debuted are on the lists. I am planning on a couple of debuts coming up in the lead up to the Rumble.[/i]

[quote][center] [IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd336/DansOP/logo_raw2.jpg[/IMG] [b]WWE.com RAW Preview Monday, Week 1, January, 2009[/b][/center] 2009 may have only just begun, but the landscape of the WWE has been changed; possibly forever. With most WWE superstars having only signed on with their new brand just a few hours ago there guarantees to be new feuds, new matches and new entertainment. What will Chavo Guerrero have to say? Yesterday, he was the WWE United States champion, but having defected to RAW he has since been stripped of the title. Also on RAW, Mr. McMahon has promised to make an announcement regarding the Royal Rumble. Last time McMahon was on RAW the stage collapsed around him, will the chairman’s bad luck continue into 2009? In the ring, William Regal and Paul Burchill will reunite as they take on Jesse and Festus. Will the British superstars still be able to work together, or has their time apart made it impossible to co-exist in the ring? Also, Mickie James will finally be able to get a title match against WWE Women’s Champion Melina tonight. Melina has put up a variety of obsticles to prevent Mickie over the last few weeks and Mickie has got to be raring to get at Melina.[/quote] [b]Matches[/b] Shad Gaspard vs. Mark Henry CM Punk vs. DH Smith Melina vs. Mickie James ([i]Women’s Title Match[/i]) William Regal and Paul Burchill vs. Jesse & Festus Kofi Kingston vs. Jamie Noble ([i]non-title[/i]) Shawn Michaels vs. Batista vs. Kane ([i][b]Number 1 Contenders Match[/b][/i]) [i]Predictions welcome[/i]

RAW will be posted tomorrow evening. i've run the show and encountered a few problems - the result of one of my matches is the complete opposite to what i had planned, so I'm going to have to change my long term plan regarding these two. I don't want to give too much away though. Anyone want to try prediciting the results?

[B]Shad Gaspard[/B] vs. Mark Henry (Although I've always been a bigger Henry fan than most, Shad would be a good option to put over here) [B]CM Punk[/B] vs. DH Smith (Can't look past Punk here I'm afraid) [B]Melina[/B] vs. Mickie James (Women’s Title Match) (Im picking Melina via shenanigans to continue the fued) [B]William Regal and Paul Burchill[/B] vs. Jesse & Festus (Gotta stay loyal) Kofi Kingston vs. [B]Jamie Noble [/B](non-title) (Hopefully setting up a title rematch) Shawn Michaels vs. [B]Batista[/B] vs. Kane (Number 1 Contenders Match) (Batista has form in contenders matches and Orton vs Batista would be awesome)

[center] [IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd336/DansOP/logo_raw2.jpg[/IMG] [b]RAW Results Monday, Week 1, January, 2009 Live from: Bank of America Arena (Seattle, WA) Announcers: Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler[/b][/center] [i] ‘…To Be Loved’ plays as the updated opening video plays; the pyro’s explode as the camera pans around the arena. Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler welcome us to the New Year, but are cut short as ‘No Chance In Hell’ hits the titantron. Mr. McMahon walks out with his regular strut, receiving a mixed reaction in the process. He takes a microphone off Lillian Garcia, and waits for the audience to calm down.[/i] [b]McMahon[/b]: “Ladies and Gentlemen, before I start let me take this opportunity to wish ALL of our fans throughout the world a very happy and prosperous New Year. Now as many of you are now aware, if you’ve been on WWE.com recently, I have decided to shake things up here in the WWE. Yesterday I cancelled every single superstar’s contract and effectively made them a free agent. Earlier today all three General Manager’s have been on the phone trying to convince the superstars to sign with them. As a result there have been numerous roster changes. You can check out WWE.com to find out which superstar is now on which show. The reasoning for these changes is quite simple really; it’s to give you fans some new matches, and a whole new product. Last year was really a bad year for the WWE, so I, Vincent Kennedy McMahon, decided to do something about it, and reward you fans for your patience over the last twelve months. Now onto the Royal Rumble, which will take place in four weeks time. Over the next several weeks all three brands will have a series of Royal Rumble qualifiers, and each show will have ten slots to fill. If you win your qualifier, then you’ve got a chance for a title match at Wrestlemania XXV. If you lose, well you won’t. so the Road to Wrestlemania begins tonight!” [i]With that Mr. McMahon walks backstage as we head to a commercial break.[/i] As we come back from commercial break, ‘I Walk Alone’ plays, and The Animal makes his way to the ring, he takes a microphone and procedes to speak. [b]Batista[/b]: “Orton, at Armageddon you got lucky. You retained your title because of your backup crew – DiBiase, Rhodes and Manu. I’m sure that I'm not the only one here tonight that wants me to take your title, so I'm suggesting Randy Orton vs. Batista one on one at the Royal Rumble for the World Heavyweight Title.” [i]Kane’s music starts playing and he makes his way to the ring.[/i] [b]Kane[/b]: “Batista, you’ve had your chance, and you’ve failed. At Armageddon I defeated Chris Jericho. I made him hurt. I destroyed Chris Jericho so bad that he’s hightailed it over to Smackdown, just so he doesn’t have to face me again. I enjoy hurting people Batista, and if I have to hurt you to get at Randy Orton then I will.” [i]Before anything else can happen Shawn Michaels joins them in the ring, and takes the mic.[/i] [b]HBK[/b]: “I’m sure that you both want a shot at Orton, but while it’s open season I just thought I’d come down here and throw my name into the hat. Batista, I respect your ability, but you should have known that those three would interfere, so why insist on a no DQ match? Kane, I don’t like you for what you did to Rey Mysterio last year, but at Armageddon you completely dominated Jericho, and I can respect that. However, neither of you deserve this shot more than me.” [i]With that, Mike Adamle comes out to the stage, carrying his trademark clipboard.[/i] [b]Adamle[/b]: “Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen. Calm down. As you know tonight, I have to announce the number one contender so that everyone else can compete in a Royal Rumble qualifier. So, what I'm proposing to you is that you, Shawn Michaels, will take on Batista, and Kane in a triple threat number one contenders match. The winner will go on to face Randy Orton at the Royal Rumble.” [b]Royal Rumble Qualifying Match Shad Gaspard w/JTG vs. Mark Henry w/Tony Atlas[/b] Shad started off the stronger using his speed advantage to good use, however Henry soon took control with a clothesline as Shad was rebounding off the ropes. It was downhill from there for Shad and Mark Henry soon picked up the win with The Worlds Strongest Slam. [b]Mark Henry qualifies for the Royal Rumble Match Pinfall at 5:02 Match Rating: D+[/b] [i]The camera pans backstage to show CM Punk warming up for his match – next.[/i] [b]Royal Rumble Qualifying Match CM Punk vs. DH Smith[/b] CM Punk took early control of the match using a wide repertoire of moves, however DH Smith took over after an unseen low blow. DH played the heel superbly in this match taking every shortcut he could, holding on till the four count. DH Smith also hit the Running Powerslam, but Punk managed to kick out at two to avoid an embarrassing shock defeat. This seemed to fire Punk up as he fought back CM Punk eventually got the win by submission by using the Anaconda Vice. [b]CM Punk qualifies for the Royal Rumble Match Submission at 7:08 Match Rating: B-[/b] [i]The camera pans backstage to show Todd Grisham[/i] [b]Todd[/b]: “Ladies and Gentlemen, joining me at this time the former United States champion, Chavo Guerrero. Now Chavo, you were the United States champion, so why did you decide to join Raw instead?” [b]Chavo[/b]: “Why did I leave Smackdown? Todd you’ve been watching it for the past few months, why do you think I left Smackdown? No I’ll tell you why I left Smackdown. It’s because of that big ape, The Big Show. He’s made my life hell over there. I’m Chavo Guerrero damnit. I should have been second in command on Smackdown, not him. So I had a decision to make. Stay on Smackdown as US Champ and put up with ‘him’, or make the jump to Raw, and start fresh. It’s not a hard decision to make really. And anyway next week I’ve got an Intercontinental title shot against Kofi Kingston and I intend on winning. [b]Women’s Title Match Melina (c) vs. Mickie James[/b] Although there was no real build-up to this match RAW’s top diva’s put on quite a show for the fans. Melina started things off with a slap to Mickie’s face, then took the early advantage. Mickie attempted a comeback, but was cut-off by a thumb to the eyes. Melina looked for the California Dream, but Mickie countered with a DDT. Mickie soon took the advantage, hit the Mickie-DT and picked up a shock win. [b]Winner via pinfall at 8:57 and NEW Women’s champion – Mickie James Rating – C+[/b] [i]The camera once again cuts backstage to Todd Grisham[/i] [b]Todd[/b]: “Ladies and Gentlemen, joining me at this time; the World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton. Now Randy, tonight’s main event is a triple threat number 1 contender’s match. You will of course face the winner at the Royal Rumble. What are you thoughts on this match, and who would you like to face at the Rumble?” [b]Orton[/b]: “Todd, do you even remember who I am? I am Randy Orton, a THIRD generation superstar, and I am the World Heavyweight Champion. That means I am better than Shawn Michaels, Batista and Kane. SO, to answer your question Todd I don’t care who I face at the Rumble. I am going to walk in as the World Heavyweight Champion, and I’m going to walk out of the Rumble with the championship STILL around my waist. 2009 is the age of Orton, and whether you like it, or not; I am the top dog on Raw!” [b]William Regal and Paul Burchill vs. Jesse and Festus[/b] Regal and Burchill attacked Festus before Festus had a change to transform from his docile state. However, with the pair focussed on hurting Festus, Jesse was able to get over and ring the bell. Festus’ change was instantaneous and he cleared both Regal and Burchill out of the ring. Festus controlled the early part of this match, however Regal and Burchill resorted to illegal double team manoeuvres to gain the unfair edge. From there they looked to break the rules whenever they could, and for as long as they could, isolating Festus from his partner. Festus eventually got the ‘hot tag’ to Jesse who used more of a speed game to try and turn the tide. This lasted for a minute or so, before Regal and Burchill yet again resorted to underhanded tactics. While Burchill distracted the ref, Regal got the brass knux from out of his boot and used it on Jesse to gain the three count. [b]Winners via pinfall at 8:52 – William Regal and Paul Burchill Match Rating – C[/b] [i]After the match Regal and Burchill continued to beatdown Jesse and Festus in an obvious attempt to make the rest of the tag team divison take notice of them as serious contenders to the title.[/i] [b]Non-Title Match Jamie Noble vs. Kofi Kingston[/b] This match started with a bit of back and forth action with neither superstar able to get any kind of sustained advantage. It was Noble however, who gained the first real sustained attack, using his pitbull like attacks to keep Kofi grounded. However, as Noble tried to throw Kofi over the top rope to the floor, Kofi was able to grab hold of the ropes and ‘skin the cat’. This started off Kofi’s comeback. Kofi soon gained control of the match using his unorthodox offence against Noble. Kofi hit a picture perfect dropkick, and followed it up with the Leg Drop, and waited to hit the Trouble in Paradise. However, Noble expected it and was able to duck out of the way. A few seconds later, Kofi hit a second Trouble in Paradise, and this time connected for the three count. [b]Winner via pinfall at 9:53 – Kofi Kingston Match Rating B-[/b] [i]Backstage, Chavo Guerrero and Bam Neely are seen watching Kofi’s match on a monitor. Chavo doesn’t look happy. Back at ringside, Batista makes his way out to the ring to a loud pop. Those cheers turn to boos as Kane makes his way to the ring. Sexy Boy hits the titantron and the roof is almost blown off the arena. There’s no doubt who these fans are behind tonight. Just as these three are about to begin, Voices hits the titantron, and the World Heavyweight champion makes his way down to ringside, to join Michael Cole and the King on commentary. This seems to distract Batista, and Kane gets in the first shot as the bell is rung.[/i] [b]Number 1 Contenders Match for the World Heavyweight Championship Batista vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels[/b] It may only be the first show of the year, but this could quite easily be made match of the year if it wasn’t for the ending. All three of these superstars were on top of their game tonight and put on a hell of a match for the fans and it wasn’t even a PPV. Batista started off the strongest of the three using power moves on Michaels and Kane. At one point Kane was clotheslined over the top rope by Batista and Michaels. Kane hit his head on the ring apron, and was down for a while leaving HBK and The Animal to fight it out in the ring. The end saw Kane hit the Chokeslam on Michaels, but Batista then hit the Spinebuster on Kane. At this point Orton entered the ring and blasted Batista in the face with the World Title. As HBK got up he too also got hit in the face with the belt, as did Kane. This left the World Champion as the last man standing. [b]No Contest ruled at 15:50 Match Rating – A[/b] [i]Mike Adamle’s music hit, and he stayed at the top of the stage, with microphone in his right hand, and that damn clipboard in his left hand.[/i] [b]Adamle [/b]: “Congratulations Randy. You’ve ruined the number one contenders match. However, you don’t get off that easily. At the Royal Rumble the World Heavyweight Title has to be defended, so due to your interference tonight you will defend your title in a Four Way Elimination match at the Rumble against Shawn Michaels, Batista and Kane!” [b][i]Overall Show Rating: A[/i][/b] [quote][i]O.O.C: Feedback and creative criticism is welcome. Especially if people have suggestions regarding formatting etc. The TV shows will be done in this recap format, as the storylines are more important, but the PPV's will be more detailed. BTW I had planned on Melina retaining her title, but had accidentally booked it wrong on TEW so there’s a title switch instead.[/i][/quote]

[quote][center] [IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd336/DansOP/wweunderground.jpg[/IMG] [b]WWE Underground.net Raw Feedback – Week 1, January 2009[/b][/center] The feedback from this week’s edition of RAW has been extremely positive. If leaked ‘reports’ of the company heading in a new direction are true, then fans can only hope that this is the direction they are going to be heading in. The main event triple threat number 1 contender’s match is already being described as a potential match of the year candidate, and that can only help the company out in the long run. The fans are already looking forward to the prospect of the World Heavyweight Title match, but some within the company are worried that the match won’t live up to the hype. The let down of the night, undoubtedly was the Mark Henry vs. Shad match. However, it is understood that Mark Henry suffered an injury during the early part of the match, and that is understood to have hampered his performance. It is unknown at this time how serious the injury is, however he is expected to still take part in the Royal Rumble match in a little under four weeks. In related news, it is understood that a top RAW superstar failed a drugs test following the show. Although many details are unknown, it is understood that the undisclosed superstar has not been suspended as he is involved in a major angle on RAW. Instead the wrestler has been fined, and warned that if it happens again then further action will be taken. In other news BG James and Samoa Joe captured the TNA Tag Team Titles during last night’s TNA Impact taping. Strange booking![/quote] [i]O.O.C. Sorry it’s taken a couple of days to get this out, but I’ve been having computer problems and it’s really starting to annoy me. Any guesses as to who failed the drugs test??[/i]

[quote][center] [IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd336/DansOP/logo_ecw2.jpg[/IMG] [b]WWE.com ECW Preview Tuesday, Week 1, January, 2009[/b][/center] Tonight ECW invades the Metro Center in Rockford, IL. Tonight also sees ECW debut on the USA Network, and the ECW Extremists have guaranteed a hell of a show. Mr. McMahon has promised to right the wrongs that ECW has created over the last few years, but just how will he be able to do that with just one go? Vladimir Kozlov has been on an unbelievable run over the last few months. Tonight he is set to issue an open challenge to any superstar or fan that wants to step up to the plate, and take on the Moscow Mauler. In other action Elijah Burke will be looking to get back to winning ways as the Silver-Tongued Pugilist goes one-on-one with ECW Original Joey Matthews in a Royal Rumble Qualifier. Matthews is a former WWE Tag Team Champion and hasn’t competed in a singles match for over three years, has he still got what it takes? At an ECW house show last night Theodore Long was bullied into making JBL the new ECW Champion and tonight, a new number 1 contender will be named as Umaga squares off against Ken Kennedy. With both of these former Smackdown superstars eager to impress and get a shot at the gold what will happen? Don’t forget ECW debuts on the USA Network in a brand new 90 minute slot![/quote] [b]Matches[/b] Vladimir Kozlov Open Challenge Elijah Burke vs. Joey Matthews ([i]Royal Rumble Qualifier[/i]) Tommy Dreamer vs. Gregory Helms ([i]Royal Rumble Qualifier[/i]) Snitsky vs. D’Lo Brown Umaga vs. Ken Kennedy ([i]Number 1 Contenders Match[/i]) [i]Anyone got any predictions, or feedback for me?[/i]

[center][IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd336/DansOP/logo_ecw2.jpg[/IMG] [b]ECW Results Tuesday, Week 1, January 2009 Live from: Metro Center (Rockford, IL) Announcers: Todd Grisham and Matt Striker[/b][/center] [i] Don’t Question My Heart’ plays as the updated ECW opening video plays, but before the pyros can explode ‘No Chance In Hell’ hits the titantron. Mr. McMahon walks out to the ring for the second time in 24 hours, receiving a mixed reaction, but a more positive mixed reaction today. He takes a microphone off Tony Chimel, and waits for the audience to calm down.[/i] [b]Vince[/b]: “Ladies, and Gentlemen. I promised you that I would ‘shake things up’ here on ECW, and I’m a man of my word, so I’d like to ask Theodore Long to come down to this ring, right here, right now.” [i] ‘Macmillitent’ hits, and the ECW General Manager makes his way to the ring.[/i] [b]T’Lo[/b]: “OK. Mr. McMahon, I’m out here. What’s this all about, player?” [b]Vince[/b]: “Well, ‘player’, it seems that the WWE Board Of Directors found some discretions with ECW when looking into the brand’s accounts. It seems that one of your extremists has been claiming travelling expenses while it wasn’t in his contract, and as General Manager of the brand it is your fault. So, on behalf of the Board of Directors, because of your gross misconduct, and also the poor quality of the ECW product over the last 12 months……. YOU’RE FIRED!! Now leave my ring.” [i]Theodore Long looks shocked as he exits the ring and makes his way to the back.[/i] [b]Vince[/b]: “Now that he’s out of the way, let me introduce you to the new and returning ECW General Manager – [b]PAUL HEYMAN[/b] [i]Heyman makes his way down to the ring to a rousing ovation, as Paul Heyman IS ECW. The pair shake hands and Mr. McMahon leaves the ring and heads home. Heyman takes the mic.[/i] [b]Heyman[/b]: “It’s a new year in ECW, and I am back! Now you all know I'm not one to mince my words, but the announcing quality on this show has been poor, so I’m going to correct that right now.” [i]Turns to Todd Grisham and Matt Striker[/i] “We won’t needing your services anymore, so you can just go home. Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome back to the ECW announcing booth, the voice of ECW [b]Joey Styles[/b]; and The Human Suplex Machine [b]Tazz[/b].” [i]Styles and Tazz make their way out to the old ECW theme, much to the delight of the fans.[/i] “Now, onto the Royal Rumble. As you know over the next several weeks we will be having Royal Rumble Qualifying matches on ECW, however, we only have nine slots open, as I have secured the signing of one of the hottest free agents in Sports Entertainment, and he’ll be making his debut at the Royal Rumble for ECW, and so will not have to qualify for the match.” [i]With that, Heyman leaves the ring, and leaves the fans guessing as to who the new ECW superstar is as we head to a commercial break[/i] -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [i]As we return from the commercial break, we see Vladimir Kozlov standing in the ring awaiting his opponent for the Kozlov Open Challenge. Deuce’s music hits, and it seems he’s accepted the challenge.[/i] [b]The Kozlov Open Challenge Vladimir Kozlov vs. Deuce [/b] Deuce starts off strong hitting Kozlov with punches and kicks, trying to do anything he can to get the Moscow Mauler off his game, but it doesn’t seem to faze Kozlov. Kozlov then completely dominates the match as Deuce is unable to get any offence in. Towards the end of the match Kozlov gets distracted by the crowds boos which allows Deuce time to recover. Deuce flies off the top rope, but Kozlov catches him with the headbutt and pins him for the three count. [b]Winner via pinfall at 6:34 – Vladimir Kozlov Match Rating: C[/b] -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [i]Following our next commercial break Elijah Burke is standing in the middle of the ring with microphone in hand.[/i] [b]Burke[/b]: “In just a few minutes I’ll take on ECW Original Joey Matthews in a Royal Rumble Qualifier, and I urge ECW General Manager Paul Heyman to watch this match very closely because I am going to prove to you Mr. Heyman that I am the future of ECW, and your next ECW Champion.” [b]Royal Rumble Qualifying Match Elijah Burke vs. Joey Mathews [/b] This was a good back and forth match between the two, but the crowd just didn’t seem to be too into it. The end saw Elijah set up, but eventually miss the Elijah Experience as he spent too long telling Heyman to ‘Watch this’, this allowed Matthews to set up and hit the Virginia Necktie for the win. [b]Joey Matthews Qualifies for the Royal Rumble Match at 8:58 via pinfall Match Rating: C-[/b] -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [i]A video is played to hype the mystery worker that is set to debut in a few weeks. It says that he will make an impact – guaranteed, but it doesn’t reveal who it is.[/i] -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Royal Rumble Qualifying Match Tommy Dreamer vs. Gregory Helms[/b] Dreamer and Helms seem to work well together and it showed in this qualifying match. Dreamer took the early advantage, much to the delight of an onlooking Paul Heyman. However, Helms eventually made the inevitable comeback. With Helms now in control he got a little too over-confident and started showing off. Dreamer got back up, and set up for the Dreamer Driver. Helms masterfully countered it into a roll-up. Too add insult to injury he had a handful of tights, and also had his feet on the first rope to gain the extra leverage for the three count. [b]Gregory Helms qualifies for the Royal Rumble Match at 7:35 via pinfall Match Rating: B- [/b] -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [i]Backstage Shelton Benjamin storms into Heyman’s office.[/i] [b]Benjamin [/b]: “Heyman, I am the Gold-Standard of this business and I’m not even scheduled to wrestle tonight. What’s the idea? Are you trying to ruin your comeback on your first night back?” [b]Heyman [/b]: “Shelton, you know as well as I do that tonight’s card was already booked by Teddy Long, so there’s nothing I can do as far as you competing tonight. However, I have scheduled you to face Paul London in a Royal Rumble qualifier next week.” [b]Benjamin [/b]: “Thank you. By the way, who’s this new person that you’ve got debuting at the Rumble?” [b]Heyman [/b]: “You’ll find out when everyone else does – now get out before I change my mind about next week![/b] -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Snitsky vs. D’Lo Brown[/b] Snitsky started off very strong, almost knocking D’Lo out with a clothesline inside the opening minute. From there Snitsky maintained his early moment using a wide range of power moves to suppress D’Lo’s advances. However, as Snitsky locked in a sleeper hold, D’Lo quickly countered it and started a quick comeback. D’Lo hit a basement clothesline on Snitsky, and went to follow it up with a Lo Down, but Snitsky rolled out of the way causing Brown to get a face full of canvas. Snitsky was the first to get back up, and stalked D’Lo before hitting a Big Boot for the win. [b]Winner via pinfall at 8:46 – Snitsky Match Rating: C-[/b] -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [i]The camera pans backstage, and shows JBL standing with the ECW title over his shoulder.[/i] [b]JBL[/b]: “Let’s just make one thing perfectly clear. ECW is a dump, and Heyman is a joke. The only reason I signed on with ECW is because that way I could earn more money than Smackdown and Raw were prepared to pay me, and being the ECW champion I get a pay bonus which means I earn even more money. You never know, with a Wrestling God like myself headlining the show ECW may actually be worth watching. As far as tonight’s number one contender’s match between Umaga and Kennedy goes; it doesn’t matter who wins, because at the Royal Rumble it will be JBL with his hand raised in victory and still the ECW Champion.” -------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Number One Contenders Match for the ECW Title Umaga vs. Ken Kennedy[/b] [i]JBL has joined Styles and Tazz on commentary. [/i] Umaga and Kennedy start things off by brawling all over the ringside area before the referee can even ring the bell. Eventually they make their way back into the ring, and the referee rings the bell. Umaga dominates the early going of the match. Umaga hits a side kick to Kennedy then goes up to the second rope. He jumps off, looking for the headbutt, but Kennedy moves out of the way. Kennedy then goes to work on Umaga’s knees to try and keep the big man down. Kennedy goes to lock in the figure four to a chorus of ‘WOOOO’s’ from the audience, but Umaga powers out. Kennedy runs at Umaga, who hits a Samoan Drop and covers, but Kennedy kicks out at two. As Kennedy rolls outside for a breather, Umaga stares directly at JBL as if to say “I’ll see you at the Rumble”. However, this allows Kennedy to recover, and Umaga turns right into the Mic Check for the three count. [b]Winner via pinfall at 13:56 – Ken Kennedy Match Rating: B [/b] [i]After the match JBL steps into the ring as Kennedy is celebrating. The two lock eyes in the middle of the ring and a staredown commences between the two as ECW goes off the air.[/i] [b][i]Overall Show Rating: C+[/i][/b] [i]As always feedback and creative criticism is welcome. I would like ideas on how to improve the formatting especially.[/i]

[quote][center] [IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd336/DansOP/logo_SmackDown2.jpg[/IMG][/center] [b]WWE.com Smackdown Preview Friday, Week 1, January, 2009[/b] The first of the Smackdown Royal Rumble Qualifiers happen tonight as The Brian Kendrick takes on Matt Hardy. Both these superstars have main event experience, and will be doing everything they can to qualify for a chance to main event WrestleMania. In the second of our Royal Rumble Qualifiers MVP will face the returning Juventud Guerrera. MVP has been on a roll lately, but will Juventud’s lucha libre offence be likely to cause an upset? Also in the ring Natalya Neidhart is finally forced to defend her Diva’s Title against Michelle McCool in the mandatory rematch. Since winning the title Natalya has been doing everything in her power to prevent Michelle from getting the title rematch including sending Victoria to do her dirty work. Now she has to face Michelle how will she fare? Finally, in a shock announcement earlier on WWE.com, Shane McMahon has said he will be on Smackdown, as he has a special message for Smackdown General Manager Vickie Guerrero.[/quote] [b]Matches[/b] The Brian Kendrick vs. Matt Hardy (RRQ) MVP vs. Juventud Guerrera (RRQ) Edge vs. Funaki Michelle McCool vs. Natalya Neidhart (c) ([i]Divas Title Match[/i]) Chris Jericho vs. John Cena vs. Triple H ([i]Number 1 Contenders Match[/i])

Archived