Stables, Tag Teams, and Managers

Just curious if others are like this as well... Being a child of the 80s, I grew up on mid 80s WWF, NWA, the very start of WCW, and Stampede Wrestling (the first live shows I went to!). I kept watching in various degrees through the 90s with WWF and a bit of NWO-era WCW. I don't follow contemporary wrestling that close as I don't like the current WWE that much and TNA has never grabbed like it should. Anyway, the point of reminiscing is that I find myself using three things a lot in CornellVerse games - stables, tag teams, and managers. It almost doesn't matter what promotion, but tend to put a lot into those. Those are three things I miss about wrestling, as the WWE has devalued all three significantly. They still exist in TNA, but it doesn't feel the same. I also miss the old school hated heel. Guys like Larry Zbyszko and Nick Bockwinkel that the crowd truly loved to hate, and who reveled in playing to that. Not the contemporary tweener heel who everyone only sorta hates because they're going to turn back into a face in six months anyway. A true heel, who's job is to get the face over with the crowd. I miss those bad guys. I find I end up creating in my games what I miss about contemporary wrestling. I always have stables. I use managers, even in non-SE promotions. And I'm always trying to build a strong tag team division. I'm just curious if others find themselves doing this, either with these things or other things they miss about wrestling from "back in the day"?

[QUOTE=theunholyicon;512237]If you went to Stampede Wrestling, you must be from Alberta?? But yeah man, I totally hear you, I do the exact same thing. Love a strong tag division, and strong stables are a must.[/QUOTE] From Saskatchewan, actually. I don't know how much they traveled, but they did some shows in Saskatchewan. Saw them a couple of times. Saw both Brett and Owen while they were there (not at the same time, though). Pillman, Benoit, Bad News Allen, Makah Singh, Jason the Terrible... Don't think I ever saw Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith, though I was pretty young.

[QUOTE=mad5226;512290]I always tell myself Im going to build a strong tag divison but i always fail. Im with you on Stables and especially managers though. I love me some solid managers[/QUOTE] It takes awhile to build a solid tag team from scratch, even if you are a major promotion and running a couple shows a week. You really have to stick with it.

This is the very reason I adore USPW, and my longest running games are always as them...they are tailored for this kind of stuff, which I really do miss in wrestling. This is also the reason Peter Valentine tends to have the title quite often for me...I book him as a talentless, cowardly, jerk of a wrestler, who gets most wins squashing weak jobbers, and spends more time outside of the ring arguing with fans than inside every time he has a big match (a la Zbysko). I really don't know why everyone hates on ol' Pete.

[QUOTE=NeoMetsFan;512309]This is the very reason I adore USPW, and my longest running games are always as them...they are tailored for this kind of stuff, which I really do miss in wrestling. This is also the reason Peter Valentine tends to have the title quite often for me...I book him as a talentless, cowardly, jerk of a wrestler, who gets most wins squashing weak jobbers, and spends more time outside of the ring arguing with fans than inside every time he has a big match (a la Zbysko). I really don't know why everyone hates on ol' Pete.[/QUOTE] Probably because alot of people are a bit of smart marks, and Peter Valentine doesn't exactly bring a wealth of talent to the table. USPW is greatness, though, and I cringe everytime I see someone gut its roster and make them CZCW 2.0. I remember in 2007 I loved booking Peter Valentine. He ended up feuding with Alicia Strong, because he was having trouble beating other men in fair fights... and even then he had to cheat to try and beat Alicia. Alicia eventually beat him, establishing herself as a Main Eventer, and went on to feud with T-Rex (which I'd pay real money to see). Back on subject: I, too, love tag teams/managers/stables. The only problem with tag teams is that it takes a PAINFULLY long time to establish enough teams to have a viable division. Until you're Cult you usually can't afford it, or have enough people on your roster, and tag matches tend to only be average at best until both teams have some solid experience together. And its hard to build that experience when you're smaller and trying to save as much money as you can! Still, I love to try!

[QUOTE=Comradebot;512494]Probably because alot of people are a bit of smart marks, and Peter Valentine doesn't exactly bring a wealth of talent to the table. USPW is greatness, though, and I cringe everytime I see someone gut its roster and make them CZCW 2.0. I remember in 2007 I loved booking Peter Valentine. He ended up feuding with Alicia Strong, because he was having trouble beating other men in fair fights... and even then he had to cheat to try and beat Alicia. Alicia eventually beat him, establishing herself as a Main Eventer, and went on to feud with T-Rex (which I'd pay real money to see). Back on subject: I, too, love tag teams/managers/stables. The only problem with tag teams is that it takes a PAINFULLY long time to establish enough teams to have a viable division. Until you're Cult you usually can't afford it, or have enough people on your roster, and tag matches tend to only be average at best until both teams have some solid experience together. And its hard to build that experience when you're smaller and trying to save as much money as you can! Still, I love to try![/QUOTE] Pete for me has gotten up to A overness across the board, lives at A* momentum, and never, ever wins a match fairly. He's in a stable with Shane Sneer and Avalanche, and they do all of his dirty work...he just is always up to zany antics like switching the sign on Bruce the Giant's locker room with and oversized door and Happy Elwood's, so that Bruce epically bumps his head whilst trying to walk in. Oh, and that being said T-Rex, managed by Herb Stately, serves the purpose of popping up after every single match and flattening everybody. He's another of my faves, but not quite on Pete's level.

[QUOTE=Comradebot;512494]Probably because alot of people are a bit of smart marks, and Peter Valentine doesn't exactly bring a wealth of talent to the table. USPW is greatness, though, and I cringe everytime I see someone gut its roster and make them CZCW 2.0. I remember in 2007 I loved booking Peter Valentine. He ended up feuding with Alicia Strong, because he was having trouble beating other men in fair fights... and even then he had to cheat to try and beat Alicia. Alicia eventually beat him, establishing herself as a Main Eventer, and went on to feud with T-Rex (which I'd pay real money to see). Back on subject: I, too, love tag teams/managers/stables. The only problem with tag teams is that it takes a PAINFULLY long time to establish enough teams to have a viable division. Until you're Cult you usually can't afford it, or have enough people on your roster, and tag matches tend to only be average at best until both teams have some solid experience together. And its hard to build that experience when you're smaller and trying to save as much money as you can! Still, I love to try![/QUOTE] At some point, I'm going to have give USPW a good go. I do agree that building tag teams is really difficult in smaller promotion. You just can't use them enough to make it work. And more than a couple managers isn't always worthwhile in small promotions, simply because its extra workers you have to pay each show you use them in.

[QUOTE=NeoMetsFan;512309]This is the very reason I adore USPW, and my longest running games are always as them...they are tailored for this kind of stuff, which I really do miss in wrestling. This is also the reason Peter Valentine tends to have the title quite often for me...I book him as a talentless, cowardly, jerk of a wrestler, who gets most wins squashing weak jobbers, and spends more time outside of the ring arguing with fans than inside every time he has a big match (a la Zbysko). I really don't know why everyone hates on ol' Pete.[/QUOTE] I agree, though my promotion of choice is NYCW and my Living Legend is Grandmaster Phunk. It doesn't matter what I plan to do with NYCW each time I start up a new game, I always start it off with Phunk complaining about Steve Flash ducking him for the title.

Archived