Best Halloween Gimmicks?

ccfc1927

I just came across this during my daily browsing (i.e killing time!) [URL="http://www.championshipwrestlingonline.com/the-scariest-wrestling-gimmicks"]Scariest Wrestling Gimmicks[/URL] The list is pretty good in my opinion, missing out on a few such as mideon, berlyn, black reign and even the juicer (anybody remember him?) It got me thinking about some of the "evil" wrestlers which have appeared on TV over the years. I've always thought there was a place for "monster" characters in wrestling,but not too many at a time (ala TNA recentley with black reign, rellik and abyss). What do you guys think? Also in TEW do you tend to book a monster of sorts?

Oh man, The Juicer ... that takes me back. Art Barr as Beetlejuice. Onryo is one of my favourite spooky gimmick wrestlers, the fact he is covered in white power/dust type stuff makes it pretty cool looking on the first few bumps he takes. How about that Zombie guy who made like one appearance in WWECW and cut a promo that just consisted of groaning noises. Don't get me started on the Leatherface/Jason the Terrible/Crypt the Keeper gimmicks that were running around Japan in the mid 90s wherever Victor Quinones worked. I don't tend to run too many monster type characters in my games, it's good to have once in a while but I usually can't really justify keeping them around for any length of time since I find the gimmick a little limiting.

The Zombie was comedy gold, man. They should've kept him around. Done a gimmick where he can't be hurt unless you chair him in the head or something. Have him wandering around backstage, going "Braaaaaains," wander up to a heel, look dissapointed, then wander away moaning for -real- brains... playing the part of the face until he starts biting other faces...

I remember as a kid growing up in there used to be a wrestler who was billed as the mummy.Now his dude's costume was top notch wrapped from head to toe in a full on mummy outfit and the kicker was this gimmick was done not to hide any lack of wrestling skills this guy could actually wrestle. I Also remember a couple of wrestlers in the late 80's and early 90's i believe wrestling up in Calgary one was dressed up as a full on Freddie Kruger and the other as Jason.

[QUOTE=infinitywpi;516594]The Zombie was comedy gold, man. They should've kept him around. Done a gimmick where he can't be hurt unless you chair him in the head or something. Have him wandering around backstage, going "Braaaaaains," wander up to a heel, look dissapointed, then wander away moaning for -real- brains... playing the part of the face until he starts biting other faces...[/QUOTE] I'd pictured the Boogeyman having a similar gimmick...one where he couldn't either feel pain, or he was so screwed up, believed that he couldn't!

back in El Salvador, they used to have some wrestling (never attended a show), but it was very much in the Mexican style (tecnicos & rudos). But I remember they had TWO mummies. One was face, the other heel. And you could tell which one the bad one was, since the costume was black. EPIC.

[QUOTE=ccfc1927;516563]I just came across this during my daily browsing (i.e killing time!) [URL="http://www.championshipwrestlingonline.com/the-scariest-wrestling-gimmicks"]Scariest Wrestling Gimmicks[/URL] The list is pretty good in my opinion, missing out on a few such as mideon, berlyn, black reign and even the juicer (anybody remember him?) It got me thinking about some of the "evil" wrestlers which have appeared on TV over the years. I've always thought there was a place for "monster" characters in wrestling,but not too many at a time (ala TNA recentley with black reign, rellik and abyss). What do you guys think? Also in TEW do you tend to book a monster of sorts?[/QUOTE] Uh. Not a single one of those gimmicks, was scary. NONE of them were scary, at any point in time. Period.

[QUOTE=CQI13;517227]Are you referring to the original list posted in the link? Or the Berlyn/Juicer list?[/QUOTE] Never heard of Juicer, but aside from that, NONE were scary. Not on the original list, not the ones mentioned in the thread either.

[QUOTE=Arrows;517251]Never heard of Juicer, but aside from that, NONE were scary. Not on the original list, not the ones mentioned in the thread either.[/QUOTE] Duly noted. Except for maybe Doink. People do have a fear of clowns, not to mention EVIL clowns. :eek:

[QUOTE=Woodsmeister;517577]didnt think he was scary cos of his comedy value but my mate came to work as La Parka today, no one knew who it was supposed to be but me :([/QUOTE] DAMNIT. I knew I was missing gold somewhere. Did he bring a steel folding chair and do the dance?

[QUOTE=Arrows;517600]DAMNIT. I knew I was missing gold somewhere. Did he bring a steel folding chair and do the dance?[/QUOTE] Forget the dance, did he smack everyone over the head with the chair then play it like a guitar? God I love La Parka, one of my all time favourites. I still haven't forgiven a certain slimy wrestling promoter for selling DVD's claiming to have La Parka on when in actual fact it had Super Parka. Big difference my friend! Big difference!

La Parka was brilliant. WCW should have done more with him. Despite jobbing him constantly, the crowd loved him. "The Chairman of WCW" Man, he was my favorite of WCW's "Luchadores." Anyway, I think the Seven (or however it was spelled) gimmick could have worked for Dustin Rhodes. WCW was stupid (like usual in those days) and built up the gimmick, gave him a big time entrance, and then had him spit all over kayfabe once he got to the ring. I know promoters have been trying to appeal to the internet crowd for awhile, but the kayfabe breaking lines are so much better when they are subtle and don't ruin a character. Like when Triple H said "Hiya Steph" during the McMahon reunion. We all knew what it meant, but it didn't break character beyond the subtle line. For a promotion to actually BOOK a wrestler to go out and talk about how wrestling is a big scripted show just blows my mind. "Oh hey, my name is Dustin Rhodes. Ever since I've been in wrestling promoters have been giving me dumb gimmicks that I've been using and they haven't let me be a main eventer. So now I'm going to use my own gimmick that I came up with myself. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO WATCH!" Bah

[QUOTE=CQI13;517652]That wasn't WCW that killed it. It was AOL/Time Warner who did, since they felt that the character looked like a pedophile in some of the vignettes.[/QUOTE] Seriously? HAHAHAHAHA! Either way, the way they killed the gimmick on air was stupid. WCW did this a lot during that time frame where they'd have a guy come out, get on the mic and basically say "Wrestling is fake and now I'm angry at the writers!"

Yes, I'm seriious. But the second part (guys going 'unscripted') came a lot from the Vince Russo school of thought that says that EVERYONE knows what happens backstage. I think Bagwell losing to someone (I forget who) and then getting on the mic and saying "Vince, did I do a good enough JOB for you?". How clever. I think it was also Sting was walking in the back, and obviously cameras are following him and you see Bagwell & I think Kidman DISCUSSING the finish to their upcoming match. LOL Not sure if you remember, but they stopped saying "foreign object" and started calling it an "international object" when referring to objects used during outside interference. Their reasoning: AOL/Time Warner thought FOREIGN was offensive. I wish I could make that up. The product might have been garbage, but management wasn't helping matters either. And to get things back on topic, La Parka was great. I remember DDP dressing up as him and beating Savage. A real WTF moment when I was watching.

[QUOTE=CQI13;517739]Yes, I'm seriious. But the second part (guys going 'unscripted') came a lot from the Vince Russo school of thought that says that EVERYONE knows what happens backstage. I think Bagwell losing to someone (I forget who) and then getting on the mic and saying "Vince, did I do a good enough JOB for you?". How clever. I think it was also Sting was walking in the back, and obviously cameras are following him and you see Bagwell & I think Kidman DISCUSSING the finish to their upcoming match. LOL Not sure if you remember, but they stopped saying "foreign object" and started calling it an "international object" when referring to objects used during outside interference. Their reasoning: AOL/Time Warner thought FOREIGN was offensive. I wish I could make that up. The product might have been garbage, but management wasn't helping matters either. And to get things back on topic, La Parka was great. I remember DDP dressing up as him and beating Savage. A real WTF moment when I was watching.[/QUOTE] Sigh. Just discussing it breaks my heart all over again. Anyway, I remember the DDP moment like it was yesterday. "THAT'S NOT LA PARKA! THAT'S NOT LA PARKA!" Anyway, if you can find video of that moment, WCW botched it as well. My memory is that they had Scott Hall get involved in a deal with Larry Legend in the middle of the match and it distracted big time from the moment. It really took a lot of heat off of the moment.

Archived