Hollywood Mogul the game

mike b

Basically it's a simulator game you control a Hollywood film studio you compete against the the film studios to see who can make the most money produce the best films so forth and so on. Its a pretty fun game you can purchase the film writes to scripts and stuff or even crate your own movie from scratch just make sure you have a good storyline and a good director and cast. Heck you want to make a Batman vs Superman movie you can or how bout Batman vs Predator its all up to you and how you handle the production and stuff. They also like grey dog have a forums section for the game and people make mods for it also just like here in grey dog forums.And they also are updating the game with patches and stuff to fix any bug issues. The game is not free it goes for around 30 dollars but they do have a 8 day demo so you can try it out and see if you like it.Its made by a small indy company so if you think you have what it takes to handle a Hollywood movie studio then give the game a try.Heck i just released my first movie the death of superman(yes with doomsday in it) and it cranked in over 400 million world wide though it cost me 200 million to make the movie. [url]http://www.hollywood-mogul.com/download.htm[/url]

Yeah Hollywood Mogul is a cool game. I played it way back in the day and used to have great fun making up outlandishly stupid movie ideas and then casting the weirdest people in them. I don't think it's quite as detailed as most of the GDS games, but is still one of the best indy text based sim games around.

yea its a pretty good game for a small indy company. They also like tew or GDS in general have a good mod making section and people are still playing this game and coming up with some pretty good mod's also. Also this is a new installment of the game from what i understand and is pretty detailed as far as the financial part of making a movie but yes you can make some really wacko titles for your movies and they have a pretty good size genre section to choose from zombie horror movies to kung fu you name it. Also to anyone thinking of trying the demo or even getting the game PLAY THE TUTORAL first it will really help you to get a better understanding of the game.

I played HM2 (haven't played 3 yet), and I liked it until I realized I was playing a spreadsheet. The actors and studios didn't have the same feel to them that the Cornellverse did, so it just became a matter of good scripts, good actors, etc, etc, etc, repeat as needed. It lacked variety. Although the fact that my blockbuster biography of Abe Lincoln didn't do well in the US was but an international smash hit was hillarious.

[QUOTE=infinitywpi;520999] Although the fact that my blockbuster biography of Abe Lincoln didn't do well in the US was but an international smash hit was hillarious.[/QUOTE] Hey, maybe you uncovered the secret dark side of Lincoln that Americans weren't ready to hear but the rest of the world .... you know .... disliking America and all .. were all over it! :p Honestly, I think I would watch a movie about an evil Abe.

[QUOTE=infinitywpi;520999]I played HM2 (haven't played 3 yet), and I liked it until I realized I was playing a spreadsheet. The actors and studios didn't have the same feel to them that the Cornellverse did, so it just became a matter of good scripts, good actors, etc, etc, etc, repeat as needed. It lacked variety. Although the fact that my blockbuster biography of Abe Lincoln didn't do well in the US was but an international smash hit was hillarious.[/QUOTE] Funny. Having played both 2 and 3, I've found I preferred 2. The character profiles may not have had the depth that those in the CVerse have. But I did become pretty connected to some of the fictional actors. I've played 3 on two computers now. And I still find myself missing the Alex Miles and Celeste Anthonys of 2 much more than bonding with the characters in 3. You say you found 2 to be like playing a spreadsheet and I won't deny 2 could have used some extra splash and observable talent relationships and such. But if 2 was like playing a spreadsheet, then 3's like playing an encyclopedia. It's still fun making oddball flicks from time to time in 3. But I found the interface much more comfortable and playable in 2

Cappboy what you said about the interface is very true. I have never played either of the first 2 versions so i don't know what they are like but i can tell you after i downloaded the game and took a look at the screen i was :eek: thank god for the little help books they have and also the tutorul. Though from what it seems everyone in the forums they have seem to like the game they all said the AI is a lot more harder in this version to compete against and heck they even have a decent mods section. Not as great as this one but not bad.

[QUOTE=mike b;521115]Cappboy what you said about the interface is very true. I have never played either of the first 2 versions so i don't know what they are like but i can tell you after i downloaded the game and took a look at the screen i was :eek: thank god for the little help books they have and also the tutorul.[/QUOTE] Amen brudda. Those little help books are a godsend. I can't imagine a new player figuring the necessities from the add-ons without them. They just throw so much at you and expect you to absorb it all. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Carey's missed out on a lot of sales this time because the kitchen sink approach led newcomers to fear the learning curve. [QUOTE=mike b;521115]Though from what it seems everyone in the forums they have seem to like the game they all said the AI is a lot more harder in this version to compete against and heck they even have a decent mods section. Not as great as this one but not bad. [/QUOTE] Both definitely true. Even at the easy levels, the computer studios are tougher. In 2 there were times at comparable difficulty f you made a good size hit you could out perform the other studios multiple times over and every sooften you could count on one of them flopping like they were an indie house. In 3, I've yet to see one of the other studios throw up a Battlefield: Earth or Heaven's Gate level clunker. Also in 2 my best flick ever was a live action-animation/drama (yes DRAMA) based on the Clancy Brothers/Tommy Makem classic Waltzing With Bears. I pictured it as a family drama trying to dealing with Uncle Walter's declining facilities with the animated segments taking us inside his delusions. Apparently my fictional audience that game felt the animations lifted the mood of the movie because I ended up with $1 billion (With a B, Baby) in domestic revenues alone. In 3, I have yet to reach that in worldwide income even at the easiest level. 900+ mil worldwide a time or two. But nothing approaching that Waltzing With Bears flick. And I can also confirm the mod community. Source material files seem to be particularly popular to make as I believe all potential categories in the game have been covered. But there are also a few different talent files as well. Even saw one our very own Rick Arnold was going to do based on the 80's. Essentially the Hollywood Mogul version of DOTT. But it doesn't seem he ever completed it. Once DOTT for 08 is out, maybe we should ask Rick about it.

I thought it was an ok game. After increasing the difficulty from easy to normal its gets EXTREMLY hard to make a sucessfull movie. Maybe it was just me but no matter what I did I coult not make a movie that made money. I have been waiting for a good movie sim game for a long time and after The Movies and Hollywood Mogul, I am still waiting.

I sort of like the game but one thing bothers me: when I create my own movie idea, I cannot use it until I start a NEW game. Why? After all the time I spent to make the low-budget idea called "Bend it like Bendham", starring the characters David Bendham, Rayne Cooney and Bickertoria Adams. :mad:

nope you can use it in a current game i have several times. Open up the main screen on the left were is gives you a list of what type of story you want to purchase click on my own idea. if you have a idea saved it should show up if not you can create a fresh nw one right from there just after you click on it go through the whole process of story line settings special effects actors and all that after you are done with all that look on the bottom corner on the left of the screen there is a little blue key you have to click on to that will add your idea to yr list of movie projects. or you can just go to the main menue and do it from there it should after you save it show up in the game mine always do. Oh on a side note how did you create a low budget film i hav been trying to make one ala night of the living dead you know for under 1 million but with a good story line.

really some must be wrong cause i have never had a problem creating a y own idea from scratch in game. OK try this i have done it before and it works.Close out yr saved game go to the main page hit my own idea create it from there then after you are done on the bottom left save it so others may play it(you don't have to share yr idea if you don't want to) if fr some reason you get booted from the game don't worry it will be saved now just reopen yr saved game and click on my own idea it should be there just make sure you are using the right file. Also have you tried playing the my own idea tuturol?

Archived