Elijah Burke and Kenny Dykstra

justtxyank

[QUOTE=Tha Black Phenom;522028]I am really, really saddened, mostly for Burke. Guy had a lot of promise coming his way, if they just gave him a chance after the whole New Breed stable.. meh.[/QUOTE] Actually, Burke will probably do very well in the Indies with his unseen Black Pope gimmick.

This makes me sad. Guys like Khali, and Mark Henry, and Batista get main event runs because of their size, and Elijah Burke gets cut from the roster. I understand the business side of it, and not wanting to dole out salaries during an economic crunch, especially in a publicly traded company, but there's so many others I could list that I'd dump off before I took out Burke. Dykstra had flashes of brilliance, and in time, I'm sure he'll be a big deal, but he's 22 I think. He's got time. And working indies might not be a bad thing. Especially if he goes to Mexico or Japan for a time. World experience will do him wonders. And eventually, he'll end up back at the `E. But Burke was a complete package already. (Or, at least I think so) He had a solid look, he wasn't a "small" guy, athletic, and charismatic. Heralded by Vince McMahon, and before too long, forgotten by the mainstream fan, due to a lack of exposure. No storyline for him? Hire better writers. Or give Burke a chance to write one himself. Hell, I'll write a program for him. A total waste, and a run that has more than likely branded him as a midcarder for life.

[QUOTE=Prophet;522059]This makes me sad. Guys like Khali, and Mark Henry, and Batista get main event runs because of their size, and Elijah Burke gets cut from the roster. I understand the business side of it, and not wanting to dole out salaries during an economic crunch, especially in a publicly traded company, but there's so many others I could list that I'd dump off before I took out Burke. Dykstra had flashes of brilliance, and in time, I'm sure he'll be a big deal, but he's 22 I think. He's got time. And working indies might not be a bad thing. Especially if he goes to Mexico or Japan for a time. World experience will do him wonders. And eventually, he'll end up back at the `E. But Burke was a complete package already. (Or, at least I think so) He had a solid look, he wasn't a "small" guy, athletic, and charismatic. Heralded by Vince McMahon, and before too long, forgotten by the mainstream fan, due to a lack of exposure. No storyline for him? Hire better writers. Or give Burke a chance to write one himself. Hell, I'll write a program for him. A total waste, and a run that has more than likely branded him as a midcarder for life.[/QUOTE] You know, I sit and talk with my best friend all the time about wrestling while we're playing madden or SDvR 08. WWE, and the joke that they've become, are fairly often a topic. These two guys are two I bring up all the time, and it's nice to see someone else feels the same way. I personally thought Kenny and Burke were two of the better guys in the E as of late. Maybe not all around, and maybe not just yet, but given their time to shine in the mid card and actually not draft into the vast suckage of "No ideas" that trapped the likes of Val Venis, they could've been something special. I really hope they both make it somewhere I can keep up with. Would be a shame not to get to see them wrestle anymore.

[QUOTE=Arrows;522066]You know, I sit and talk with my best friend all the time about wrestling while we're playing madden or SDvR 08. WWE, and the joke that they've become, are fairly often a topic. These two guys are two I bring up all the time, and it's nice to see someone else feels the same way. I personally thought Kenny and Burke were two of the better guys in the E as of late. Maybe not all around, and maybe not just yet, but given their time to shine in the mid card and actually not draft into the vast suckage of "No ideas" that trapped the likes of Val Venis, they could've been something special. I really hope they both make it somewhere I can keep up with. Would be a shame not to get to see them wrestle anymore.[/QUOTE] The thing that irks me the most about Dykstra though, besides the brilliance he displayed, was he had a gimmick. And it worked. And the `E said ... "I got nuffin' ..." The "HoF" thing he was doing, was genius! I've always found myself rooting for that guy that most people don't. When it was Hogan and Warrior, I rooted for Savage and Jake the Snake. Edge and Christian? I rooted for Gangrel. Don't get me wrong, I liked Edge and Christian, still do, but the potential within the others, the stories they could tell, that pool was so deep, and so untouched. And watching them march Burke to the ring with a blindfold to face Batista, in a match that Elijah made Big Dave look good in, to be rewarded with months of inactivity, and an ultimate release is proof that wrestling ideals have even passed me by. Or, at least the `E's. (Which is gonna be the new name, considering Vince's feeling on words like "wrestling" "athletic" and "superstar".)

[QUOTE=Tha Black Phenom;522028]I am really, really saddened, mostly for Burke. Guy had a lot of promise coming his way, if they just gave him a chance after the whole New Breed stable.. meh.[/QUOTE] I hear ya. But you know with Burke, part of me wonders if him having the misfortune of having been Chris Benoit's final TV opponent might not have been a factor too. Nothing he could control mind you. They might not have felt comfortable that they could push him and not have that "ugly" bit of trivia be remembered at some point. As for Dykstra, what took so bloody long? Not that I have any animosity toward Dykstra. Quite the opposite. He's got blue chipper written all over him. Problem is they've been jerking him around creatively ever since dissolving his tag team and repackaging his partner as John Morrison. The feud with the symmetrically released Chuck Palumbo in particular could have been so much more than it was. I don't remember those two even having had a proper blow-off match. Heck if they'd played up the "future Hall of Famer" shtick well enough they wouldn't have needed to create The Brian Kendrick. Dykstra could have taken Big Zeke on to "keep the future Hall of Fame body from being violated by some jealous psycho stalker."

[QUOTE=cappyboy;522146]I hear ya. But you know with Burke, part of me wonders if him having the misfortune of having been Chris Benoit's final TV opponent might not have been a factor too. Nothing he could control mind you. They might not have felt comfortable that they could push him and not have that "ugly" bit of trivia be remembered at some point.[/QUOTE] That, coupled with the Ghost Hunters thing, where he ran off screaming, seem to be the death nail. But in all honesty, that's assinine. If it'd been Hunter, who I respect, but don't go all gooey for, and they released him, there would be a maelstorm of emails and phone calls about that boneheaded decision. Elijah's a victim of circumstance, and that just makes it suck all the more. [QUOTE]As for Dykstra, what took so bloody long? Not that I have any animosity toward Dykstra. Quite the opposite. He's got blue chipper written all over him. Problem is they've been jerking him around creatively ever since dissolving his tag team and repackaging his partner as John Morrison. The feud with the symmetrically released Chuck Palumbo in particular could have been so much more than it was. I don't remember those two even having had a proper blow-off match. Heck if they'd played up the "future Hall of Famer" shtick well enough they wouldn't have needed to create The Brian Kendrick. Dykstra could have taken Big Zeke on to "keep the future Hall of Fame body from being violated by some jealous psycho stalker."[/QUOTE] The fact that Dykstra had the Future HoF thing going for him, and they "forgot" about it, only to have him bubble wrapped is silly, but I don't think they could've pushed him as The Kendrick. The difference between the character ideals is that Dykstra's belief that he was greatness meant he didn't feel he should fight lower tiered wrestlers. Something easily storylined with a midcarder, such as R-Truth. The Kendrick is a high school bully. Tormenting and tempting, and when things get rough, he hides behind the big D-Lineman from the football team. (American, Soccer players tend not to be 300 lbs.) That said, the fact that creative couldn't flush out that character of Dykstra shows how flawed the `E's system is.

Yes, I was joking when I said the E was racist, but you couldn't have possibly have screwed up with Elijah, it just wasn't possible. The potential was clearly there, a non wrestling fan who is legally blind could have seen it. He had the look, the charisma, more than enough talent to spare and could cut a promo (granted he wasn't Ric Flair, he got the point across) It's like telling me the E released a young Rock in 97 for not exploding fast enough. It's just an all round terrible move. I seriously hope he lands on his feet. Maybe a move to TNA which he can benefit the company greatly if given the chance. Do like your theme song says Burke, prove the world wrong.

[QUOTE=Prophet;522151] The fact that Dykstra had the Future HoF thing going for him, and they "forgot" about it, only to have him bubble wrapped is silly, but I don't think they could've pushed him as The Kendrick. The difference between the character ideals is that Dykstra's belief that he was greatness meant he didn't feel he should fight lower tiered wrestlers. Something easily storylined with a midcarder, such as R-Truth. The Kendrick is a high school bully. Tormenting and tempting, and when things get rough, he hides behind the big D-Lineman from the football team. (American, Soccer players tend not to be 300 lbs.) That said, the fact that creative couldn't flush out that character of Dykstra shows how flawed the `E's system is.[/QUOTE] And I'm not suggesting they have pushed Dykstra with The Kendrick gimmick. They should have just kept going with the future HOF bit and just framed Ezekiel Jackson's job as insuring Dykstra didn't have his credentials as future HOF'er damaged by outside incident. (Think Shawn Michaels and Syracuse for example). And yes, it should have been easy storylining Dykstra against guys like R-Truth. Heck, someone explain to me why it isn't Dykstra feuding with R-Truth right now instead of Benjamin. You let R-Truth feud Dykstra to get a bit of grounding with the crowd and then move him up to Benjamin.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;522218]And I'm not suggesting they have pushed Dykstra with The Kendrick gimmick. They should have just kept going with the future HOF bit and just framed Ezekiel Jackson's job as insuring Dykstra didn't have his credentials as future HOF'er damaged by outside incident. (Think Shawn Michaels and Syracuse for example). And yes, it should have been easy storylining Dykstra against guys like R-Truth. Heck, someone explain to me why it isn't Dykstra feuding with R-Truth right now instead of Benjamin. You let R-Truth feud Dykstra to get a bit of grounding with the crowd and then move him up to Benjamin.[/QUOTE] A-ha, I understand better now. I think I would've booked Dykstra a bit differently. Started off with subtle tweaks, where he'd do collar and elbow lock ups, and then break suddenly, and pose to the fans. Or the turnbuckle lounge, a la Eddie Guerrero. Then, as he built momentum, have faces challenging him, and Dykstra blowing them off with the whole "not in my league" mindset, and only taking challenges when someone put something on the line, to "enhance his legacy." I'd have him take a page out of JBL's playbook, where JBL conquered the ring, so he'd moved on to announcing, but Dykstra would be doing 1 shot bits. 1 shot announcing, interviewing, managering, whatever. All to keep the focus on himself, and how great he is. Thus giving him credibility inside the ring, and allowing the story to progress with him believing his own hype with every passing day. After some time, and possibly a run with the US title, he goes for the big prize. By this point, he has gone full out with the Hall of Fame references, and the fans loathe his self building promos. He challenges Triple H (or whomever holds the title) to a match, but says something along the lines of "it's in your best interest to lay down, save yourself the trouble. And I'll thank you in my acceptance speech." Trips decks Dykstra, Dykstra retreats, and it kicks off a long, drawn feud, with a building of arms, sort of speak. Dykstra recruiting people who, as he says, want to ride his coattails to glory, and HHH picking up people who want to shut Kenny's mouth. It'd take 8 months to a year, if done right, and in that time, Dykstra would be loathed, but believed as a credible title threat. Not like Kendrick, who got his shot 1 month into an unexplained gimmick change, or Koslov who got his 3 months in, after taking out jobbers and lower midcarders for 2 of them, and who, for the life of me, I can't understand why doesn't use the Sambo Suplex as a finisher, since he's a Sambo champion!!!! But I digress. It may not work, it may not even work here, but it's worth a chance, I think. Dykstra definitely has the potential to pull that off.

Kenny... Never be a main eventer for WWE, but Burke had potential. I would have kept them both. Before someone gets upset that I said Kenny would never be a Main eventer, let me explain that I also think he was a pretty good worker/performer, and did the job that was asked of him. If he changed dramatically, with age (of course), then yes, by all means he already had all the other tools for ME quality. What I think he lacked was "Maturity". People like Jericho and Orton can act immature, but still seem to be an adult. Kenny however, always looks like the kid that hangs around but you try to ignore he is even there. What that equates to, is that no one is going to be interested in him untill he overcomes that (even if he just does it be performance alone). What kills anything for Kenny is him opening up his mouth (even in a match). He comes off as a brat, bassically... the kind you don't want to be around. He doesn't come off as a threat (even when he wins). Burke however.... He is better out of the ring (they are almost opposites in my eyes). The person that compared them to Mark Henry and others... just face the fact that although their size has something to do with it, people like Khali and Henry are going to be around because they are "interesting", and "look" like legitimate threats to the heroes/faces of the company. Khali and Henry will never be pushed to a John Cena/Jericho/Mysterio type push though, because neither their personalities or performance can match that type of ongoing demand. The title could go on any of them for storyline reasons, but they will never "Carry" any brand. WWE doesn't keep them around because they think they "could" potentially do that, they keep them around to help Push a new/younger guy into that spot.... and most the time they are much smaller then the villains/heels that they face.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;522311]Kenny... Never be a main eventer for WWE, but Burke had potential. I would have kept them both. Before someone gets upset that I said Kenny would never be a Main eventer, let me explain that I also think he was a pretty good worker/performer, and did the job that was asked of him. If he changed dramatically, with age (of course), then yes, by all means he already had all the other tools for ME quality. What I think he lacked was "Maturity". People like Jericho and Orton can act immature, but still seem to be an adult. Kenny however, always looks like the kid that hangs around but you try to ignore he is even there. What that equates to, is that no one is going to be interested in him untill he overcomes that (even if he just does it be performance alone). What kills anything for Kenny is him opening up his mouth (even in a match). He comes off as a brat, bassically... the kind you don't want to be around. He doesn't come off as a threat (even when he wins). Burke however.... He is better out of the ring (they are almost opposites in my eyes). The person that compared them to Mark Henry and others... just face the fact that although their size has something to do with it, people like Khali and Henry are going to be around because they are "interesting", and "look" like legitimate threats to the heroes/faces of the company. Khali and Henry will never be pushed to a John Cena/Jericho/Mysterio type push though, because neither their personalities or performance can match that type of ongoing demand. The title could go on any of them for storyline reasons, but they will never "Carry" any brand. WWE doesn't keep them around because they think they "could" potentially do that, they keep them around to help Push a new/younger guy into that spot.... and most the time they are much smaller then the villains/heels that they face.[/QUOTE] My comparison wasn't meant in the vain of relying on Khali/Henry/Batista to carry the federation, it was more along the thinking that you have credible big men. You have `taker, you have Kane, hell, even Batista can fill the role. And I've been in another thread, defending the use of Khali and Henry, for those exact reasons. But the `E, apparently, is cutting costs, and instead of shedding Henry's contract, a man who lumbers, who is teamed with Tony Atlas to make sure he doesn't put on more weight, and who has proven injury prone for the past 10 someodd years, you cut Elijah Burke, who was a rising star at one point, until he dropped from sight with no explanation. Instead of cutting Khali, who is limited in the ring, even moreso now that his knees are failing him, and whom some have said won't be resigned when he contract comes up, you cut Dykstra who has youth and potential and an ideal heel gimmick. I'm not saying that Khali and Henry don't serve a purpose, because they do, as will `Zeke when he goes solo, and Batista if he goes heel, but when it comes to cost cutting measures, I think the better option would be to purge the roster of some of the bigger men who aren't as loaded with potential as some of the younger guys.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;522311]Burke however.... He is better out of the ring (they are almost opposites in my eyes). [/QUOTE] Compared to who, exactly? Burke's in-ring work was just cruiser enough to pass with technique they rarely allowed him to display (too focused on portraying him as this quick, grasshoppery kind of worker). Whatever. I think the 'E screwed up royally releasing someone who doesn't cost you two salaries (him and someone to do his talking, right Mark Henry and Khali?). I just hope Burke's non-compete isn't longer than 30 days. I could definitely see him landing in TNA and fitting right in with the characters like Curry Man and Shark Boy, but with far more charisma. Hell, put him with/against Consequences Creed since he could debut immediately given how long he's been offscreen. Burke and someone like Petey Williams could tear the house down. But then, this is the same promotion on the verge of ruining several top tier talents. Seriously, how did CM Punk go from being the holder of the promotion's top title.....to the co-holder of the one of the most worthless title in the company? Quick! Who's the ECW champion? Answer: Who cares? At least the IC title recently has had a vaguely amusing storyline surrounding it (I guess the Honky Timer gets reset after tonight, eh?).

Matt Hardy's the ECW Champion... although I'm a MF'er, so I would know that. Elijah and Kenny... I'm not fond of either of them. I have nothing against them, they have talent, but if the WWE couldn't think of anything to do with them, or even if they just plain didn't want to, they are right to let them go.

Archived