What would you think was WCW's product around the time of the nWo? At the time they were bringing lucha libre wrestling to the states (not really straight up lucha wrestling but more of modern wrestling with a lucha influence) and seemingly matched wrestling skills (people like Guerrero, Benoit, Mr. Perfect, Flair, etc.) along with entertainers (people like Hall and Nash, Hogan, etc.). They didn't seem as SE as the WWE was at the time as they rolled into the Attitude era. However, they weren't really focused squarely on wrestling. What do you all think?

Key Features: Traditional and maybe Mainstream (on the fence whether it's key or heavy) Heavy: Realism (every main eventer in WCW not named Ric Flair is a brawler) Medium: Lucha or Modern Low: Comedy You could maybe put some cult in there, but when I think of product, I try to imagine the ideal fan, and WCW's ideal fan was far more all-ages than WWF, so I wouldn't use much cult. Plus WCW crowds never turned on workers the way WWF or ECW crowds would for sloppy, terrible workers. No daredevil, no hardcore. Basically I see WCW in that time being kind of a fusion of TCW and USPW, plus some amount of lucha or modern to represent those fans that mostly tuned in to see Rey, Eddie and the cruiserweight division.

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;522316]Key Features: Traditional and maybe Mainstream (on the fence whether it's key or heavy) Heavy: [B]Realism (every main eventer in WCW not named Ric Flair is a brawler)[/B] Medium: Lucha or Modern Low: Comedy You could maybe put some cult in there, but when I think of product, I try to imagine the ideal fan, and WCW's ideal fan was far more all-ages than WWF, so I wouldn't use much cult. Plus WCW crowds never turned on workers the way WWF or ECW crowds would for sloppy, terrible workers. No daredevil, no hardcore. Basically I see WCW in that time being kind of a fusion of TCW and USPW, plus some amount of lucha or modern to represent those fans that mostly tuned in to see Rey, Eddie and the cruiserweight division.[/QUOTE] Realism is more of a japanese style of wrestling, nothing to do with brawlers, im sure they fit into the sports entertainment section. WCW was certainly not one for realism.

[QUOTE=Woodsmeister;522482]Realism is more of a japanese style of wrestling, nothing to do with brawlers, im sure they fit into the sports entertainment section. WCW was certainly not one for realism.[/QUOTE] Where are you getting that? "The element of keeping the action very realistic within the boundaries of “wrestling logic”, without straying to MMA content." I don't see anything about "Japanese style of wrestling" there and TCW uses realism at medium and look at its main eventers. Are you thinking of hyper-realism?

yeah sorry i didnt explain myself very well, realism is associated with wrestling looking more like a sport, like in Japan they are very stiff which looks more realistic, now WCW's main event may be brawlers but that doesnt mean they have a realistic product. I can see a bit of realism into there product further into the year when WCW brought in the japanese workers to be apart of the nWo but other than that i couldnt see it. Hope i made myself more clear there, im assuming you read that 'unofficial help compilation' that was floating around where he tried to put a specific style with a promotion product, i think unofficial was the correct word in that case.

I would still say realism at at least medium. NWO Japan, Scott Norton, Bill freaking Goldberg? The Faces of Fear? The Steiner Brothers? Tank Abbott? Those guys were stiff as hell. I think realism needs to be the #1 wrestling component of any WCW in that era just to balance the game and keep the big slow brawlers on top. And I got my quote from Adam's TEW 2008 help document, not the tip thread.

i wasnt on about your quote i new that was from the official help file i was talking about the fact you made the same guess that brawlers = realism. and i didnt mean just because a few guys where stiff means the company is going to be associated with realism, i was just using that as an example of japanese wrestling and there realistic product. but i guess thats your view, i wasnt implying you were wrong i was just putting in my 2 cents hoping for some clarification from someone in the know.

[QUOTE=justtxyank;522556]For gameplay purposes I'd leave Lucha completely out. I'm pretty sure Lucha being set in the product nixes the need for storylines which definitely doesn't fit with WCW. Just add modern and daredevil to the product to account for the cruiserweight division.[/QUOTE] I agree on that. I think otherwise everything might be off just a little.

Thank you all for your response! With that being said, Do you see USPW as a pre-nWo kind of company? I made some slight changes in giving the company a low level of modern wrestling, very low realism, very low hardcore, and very low cult levels. I also made some changes in their PPV shows as I couldn't really stomach the over-the-top American pride names. (Again I'm a patriotic person with my country but not a fan of really over the top situations). Thank you!

Archived