Protecting a Title

This question pertains to bigger promotions in the CornellVerse... It seems like most of the bigger promotions protect their main event titles pretty well. As in, they don't change hands that often. Both in their title histories and how the game tends to run those promotions. There isn't a new champion every two months, as there seems to be in the WWE anymore. I usually try to play in a manner where I protect the title as well. For the main event belt, I usually only try to have one or two title changes per year. Three to four for a mid level belt, and so on. Is there anyone who goes WWE style and constantly moves the belt around? Does that kill its prestige? Just curious how others play it.

[QUOTE=Bigpapa42;524100]This question pertains to bigger promotions in the CornellVerse... It seems like most of the bigger promotions protect their main event titles pretty well. As in, they don't change hands that often. Both in their title histories and how the game tends to run those promotions. There isn't a new champion every two months, as there seems to be in the WWE anymore. I usually try to play in a manner where I protect the title as well. For the main event belt, I usually only try to have one or two title changes per year. Three to four for a mid level belt, and so on. Is there anyone who goes WWE style and constantly moves the belt around? Does that kill its prestige? Just curious how others play it.[/QUOTE] Actually, short story short I had booked as a more WWE orientated booker, what happened was the prestige went down on the titles. But the match quality for the title change went up. If you're too conservative or too risky it could permenantly damage the function of a title. So watch out

I am British so if anyone wanted to know why I was up at 20 past midnight it's because I have been watching a video montage of all the best Benoit & Gurerro moments. And while training for wrestling found out that a frog splash REALLY hurts if you dive to far foward. You end up doing a Chris Benoit Headbutt to the canvass. I got a black eye so guessing I still got a way to go.

[QUOTE=The Masked Orange;524102]Actually, short story short I had booked as a more WWE orientated booker, what happened was the prestige went down on the titles. But the match quality for the title change went up. If you're too conservative or too risky it could permenantly damage the function of a title. So watch out[/QUOTE] The prestige goes down only if the matches are poor. Note that matches will be poor if you constantly hotshot - because no one will have the momentum wanted. By and large a title switch helps the ratings, but I think that's probably a function of the title's Prestige rating. Dent it too often and you'll lose it.

I'm just a big fan of long runs I like when a champ seems like a champ and not just some dude who's holding the belt for a bit. And when I say long runs in my TEW 2007 CZCW Steve Flash had two more than year long reigns and Frankie Perez and Plague both held the big belt for more than a year as well.

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline;524137]I'm just a big fan of long runs I like when a champ seems like a champ and not just some dude who's holding the belt for a bit. And when I say long runs in my TEW 2007 CZCW Steve Flash had two more than year long reigns and Frankie Perez and Plague both held the big belt for more than a year as well.[/QUOTE] That's pretty much the biggest reason I like relatively lengthy title runs as well. It feels more important, like that title really means something. If I have a main belt on a worker, chances are he's capable of carrying it. I'm not going to put the SWF World title on Big Smack Scott... though that thought is amusing.

[QUOTE=Phantom Stranger;524134]The prestige goes down only if the matches are poor. Note that matches will be poor if you constantly [B]hotshot[/B] - because no one will have the momentum wanted. By and large a title switch helps the ratings, but I think that's probably a function of the title's Prestige rating. Dent it too often and you'll lose it.[/QUOTE] May I ask what that means--hotshot?

[QUOTE=Kehi7;524174]May I ask what that means--hotshot?[/QUOTE] Well, I'm slightly misusing it. Hotshotting is about the practice of transitional champions - like, say, Iron Sheik ending the multi-year reign of Bob Backlund and holding the belt for only a month before losing it to Hulk Hogan. I'm misusing it to refer to lots of quick title changes, a la the WWE recently and during the Attitude era.

[QUOTE=Kehi7;524174]May I ask what that means--hotshot?[/QUOTE] From Wikipedia: [quote]when a promoter or booker rushes to a feud, a climax of a feud, or books a big match on television instead of at a pay-per-view in order to get a short-term boost for business. Also applies to angles or turns that are done for shock value rather than acting as a part of an ongoing storyline.[/quote] It basically means passing the title around for a quick boost rather than through building a proper feud.

ok, thanks...that's something I've been doing on my WWE game I'm playing. I think I should re-think my ideas. Hulk Hogan refuses to lose the World Heavyweight Championship, with his stupid creative control....and he's putting on bad matches, which is bringing the prestige down on that title. all my other Main even titles have titles changing every pay per view.

A lot of people would be surprised how long WWE title reigns are. They've been moving around their World Heavyweight title quite a bit lately, for sure, but they actually "protect" the WWE title quite well. Over the last 5 years, if you throw away RVD's 22 day reign caused by a drug suspension and the 2 short reigns at No Mercy 07 after Cena's injury, there's only one reign under 4 months and the average is 6-7 months. My booking style is probably only slightly longer...every once in awhile I'll have a champion that holds it a year with most of them in in the 7-9 months range.

I get what you're all saying and it does make sense, however, I don't really think about the length of reigns when booking. Obviously, if I want one particular guy to look dominant he'll hold the title for longer, and I don't like month long reigns or transitional champions all that much, but generally I base the reigns on what is working at that time. If someone is in a position where they'll do better with the belt, or if it helps the storyline progress or helps business then I'll make changes regardless of how long the champions had it. The difference is I long term plan, so I don't "hotshot" as such because it isn't done for a short term gain. Everything I do with booking has some sort of direction for the long run and there's nothing like the feeling when booking when you realise a really good way you can intertwine storylines or progress without stopping and starting. But if I did have to pick long or short reigns, I definitely think if you've found the right guy keeping the belt on them is a great idea. The risk you take when doing this, however, is you end up booking them like Triple H from late 2002 to early 2004 where most of your roster geets buried along the way.

Archived