Which one is better Wrestling Spirit 1 or 2?

Some might consider this an obvious question but I've tried both demos and they seem both radically different so which is better? The problem with the demos is that they're not long enough to see any real progress so that is why I'm asking.

I say WreSpi 2. Obviously there is a big difference in the way stats are handled, but to me the most important change is the way you gain popularity. In WreSpi 1 you need to put on exciting matches aswell as winning, meaning that you often have to sacrifice a win to put on a better match... which just doesn't sit right with me in a kayfabed wrestling game... while in WreSpi2 you gain popularity (and better pay) by winning matches. If you win, you get more popular. If you don't, then you don't. There's also a better general progression of stats too, as rather than going up in increases of 1 point you can improve in .1 increments, which also seems better. At least, that's my opinion. I still remember in WreSpi 1 winning every match for a while but losing popularity cos my matches weren't highly rated. Very frustrating, especially at the top level of the game. At least WreSpi 2 rewards you for winning when you can, especially since it's harder to win too. :)

Thanks. Does it get boring just winning by popularity once you get to the top though? I remember this low graphics freeware game in the past which was set up like Wrestling Spirit 2's way that ended up getting boring because once you become super powerful, you just sort of repeat the unlocked moves over and over again. Are there things to keep you occupied or are you pretty much left restarting with another character of some sort? Also I couldn't quite gather how relationships work with the demos. How big of an impact do these have once you get further into the game? Are you able to pretty much carry a lowly fed up into the upper echelons like an altruistic Kliq or create additional hype by suddenly appearing in another promotion's card?

I've never actually played onen game long enough to get all the way to the top. I tend to start with a very young character and build my way up, but have yet to ever play enough to get to the top end of the game. From experience so far though, it's tough to move up the ranks everywhere so I imagine when you get to the top it will also be pretty challenging. Relationships can help to make or break your career. Positive relationships will give you a greater chance of getting into a promotion, especially if you are friends with someone who is the booker or owner, and they also make sure you will get your contract extended if you have plenty of friends in a promotion. Negative relationships with influential people will make it hard for you to get into promotions and may also see you get fired if you have too many within a promotion. Generally speaking, the more it costs to become friends with someone the more valuable the relationship could be to you but there will always be exceptions. :)

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm still on the fence with this one because I'm short on cash but would you say the game is worth the cash right now or should I wait for a part 3 if I plan to buy this game? I've only pretty much bought two games in the past year. One of them was World of Mixed Martial Arts which I enjoyed thoroughly so I was thinking of getting this.

Well, Adam has never announced plans for a WS3, so while there's a lot of us who'd love to see it, it doesn't seem likely. The impression seems to be that it just wasn't as popular as his other games - which is a real shame. I'd definitely advise playing all the different modes on the demo before you decide - and remember there's no refund.

• 3 weeks later...
I have played Wrestling Spirit 2 two times in Dynasty Mode. First Time I created a European guy, that actually conquered Europe (with A*) popularity in all three Regions, But second time I really hit the Jackpot with American guy who had excellent Star Quality. He slowly worked his way from MAW, CZCW and NYCW to TCW when he became the most famous Wrestler in the whole planet! My advice to you is if you have neither of the two games, pay 35$ and buy both games.

Archived