Ron Artest - my word...

Guest IrishHand

Guest IrishHand
[quote=Ron Artest]"I don't know what that means," Artest said. "They probably expected a little more; [b]expected me to play every game.[/b] Everybody's different. It's early in the season, so I feel like I could take some time off early and be ready for the long stretch."[/quote] (emphasis added) Bunch of slave drivers, those Pacers. Expecting poor Ron to play all 82 games. It's not like they're paying him $6 million a year. He's probably got a family to feed. [quote=Ron Artest]"I've been doing a little bit too much music, just needed the rest," Artest said. "I've still got my album coming out Nov. 23. After the album comes out I'm going to make sure all of my time is focused on winning a championship."[/quote] A lot of late nights puffin' the cheeb and rappin' wit' the homies wears on a guy, ya know? He just need a little time off. Later on he'll care about his team, he's sure of it. I'd trade him to the Clippers or Hawks out of spite. Better to lose with class than be a borderline playoff team with someone like Artest. I bet Bird's kicking himself for not trading him last summer when he had value, coming off his least controversial season yet.

Don't be surprised if they do trade him, after folks have healed up. The local media says the guy is a cancer in the locker room. BIG problem. If he is tired now, what will he be like in January? They won't say publically, but privately there is a few hints being thrown around the guy is doing his best Jalen Rose impression.

Guest IrishHand
As opposed to other pro athletes? Please... Give me a big-money sport and I'll provide you a laundry list of abhorrent and/or criminal behavior by it's constituents.

Would you agree that basketball is the most selfish sport of them all? Not talking money here but basketball IMO is far from a team sport in its [B]current[/B] NBA state. I see many more ego's explode in the NBA than in any other sport. I [U]really[/U] hate basketball.

Guest IrishHand
[QUOTE=Maximus]Would you agree that basketball is the most selfish sport of them all?[/QUOTE] Nope. It's no different in baseball or football. I'd completely disagree with your assesment that the current NBA is far from a team sport. The past few years have shown us that teamwork and chemistry are critical components to winnning in the league - lesser talented teams which worked hard and played together (Spurs, Pistons) won championships, besting more talented teams along the way. If you watch successful teams, they win because they run good offenses and play effective team defense. Individual talent is only a tool to help those two things happen. I love the Lakers to death, but they learned pretty clearly in their recent non-championship years that when you play selfishly or act the fool, you don't win. And you can make the exact same analogy to every major (team) sport. Football players make a mockey of themselves on a regular basis with holdouts and contract re-negotiation demands, refusing to play under a contract that they freely signed. They kill people, take 'roids, make equally ridiculous and selfish comments in the media on a regular basis. Baseball's just priceless - they make even the most minimal effort to create the perception that they're doing drug testing and even that can't stop the avalanche of doping scandals. Of course, team work is practically non-existent in baseball. I'm a hardcore baseball fan - always have been - but 99% of baseball is a one-on-one competition, pitcher against hitter. Manny Ramirez is a complete tool, but he's a phenomenal hitter and because of that, he helps his team win. Players in all sport these days chase the dollars at the expense of nearly everything else, including loyalty to their organization and teammates. While I agree that it's sad and unfortunate, it's certainly not restricted to the NBA.

Oh, I agree that the NBA isn't the only sport who has its problems. Its just in my opinon that its the most selfish out of them all. Being a big pro football fan myself, I will completly agree that they do get away with murder (Ray Lewis, OJ, ect) but so does the NBA (Jason Willimas - I can't think of any other). Murderers aren't just in the NFL ya know. :D

Guest IrishHand
Jayson Williams was no longer in the NBA when he put some buckshot into that guy. I refuse to have the NBA blamed for what it's criminals do after they retire. :) (I also wouldn't use OJ against the NFL - Ray Lewis and Rae Carruth don't need any help. :p)

Being the Pacers fan that I am ... of course I have an opinion on this. I love Ron Artest as a player. He's one of the only players in the NBA that I see giving what I would consider 110% every day. I've never seen anyone hustle as much as he does. The ONLY way I could trade him, is if he really is a cancer in the locker room. Which I can't account for because I'm not there. Yet, I'm sure this doesn't go over well with Larry Bird. He's not the type to just let this go, and pat you on the back saying "it'll be okay".

I would also trade him in a heartbeat. As for egos/criminals in sports, it's not quite fair to stack up the players from this league to other leagues. For one, there's only 15 guys per team so the chances of something like that happening are automatically much smaller. BTW - Sprewell choking his coach is actually aggravated assault. The notion that hockey players have done time for some of their antics, yet Sprewell didn't is just amazing to me. I will say that the most ignorant comments I've heard of late do seem to come from NBA players. This would include things like Artest's comments, the Ewing dialogues, etc.. That's not saying that basketball players are any more or less ignorant that football or baseball players, but I think that the higher marketing focus on the individual brings these comments to light more often than in other sports. I think back to the time that NBA.com had the "players" button listed well above the "team" button on the side frame. It seemed analogous to the marketing efforts of the league.

Guest Falkowski83
It seems he got his resting... A hook for the season because of the brawl. I just think that Detroit had to be punished for the behavior of its supporters. Maybe 5-8 home games played in an arena at least 150 miles away from Detroit and a HUGE fine. The supporters don't have the right to behave like that, it doesn't matter what is happening beetween the lines.

Archived