DAVE: Danger and Violence Extreme

December, 2005 - It's the end of 2005 and Danger and Violence Extreme (DAVE) is still considered to be the "underdog" promotion in American professional wrestling. Competing against the "big two" consisting of the Supreme Wrestling Federation (SWF) and Total Championship Wrestling (TCW), DAVE has struggled to expand beyond their core audience. However, its loyal fanbase has kept DAVE running and it refuses to die. Danger and Violence Extreme is still the most hardcore promotion alive, and it will continue to be the ultimate alternative to entertainment promotions. Earlier this month, DAVE owner Phil Vibert made a bold decision that he hopes will turn his promotion around, hiring newcomer Zachary Lee to head his booking team. Wrestling observers were shocked at news that someone with no experience had been brought in to run DAVE's booking team, and most pundits wrote DAVE off for dead. "This move shows just how desperate Phil vibert is to expand beyond his reigional base," said Spuds Turner of Wrestle Magazine. "DAVE is doomed, unless this new guy is some sort of miracle worker." Is Zachary Lee a miracle worker? Maybe not, but something amazing needs to happen if DAVE is going to grow from a regional promotion with limited clout to a national promotion with the size and money necessary to give the "big two" a run for their money.

The Roster: The good, the bad, and the ugly "Okay, so we've got four hundred fifty thousand in the bank, a roster full of talent, and a weekly TV show. Things really can't be as bad as Phil said they were, could they?" As Zachary Lee sat in his new office, he took a quick glance at the DAVE roster, jotting down a few notes as he read. [center]---------------------------------------------------------[/center] [b]DAVE - ROSTER ANALYSIS[/b] [u]Main eventers[/u] Henry Lee - The Icon of Insanity is a bump machine, even if he's not a great worker. In the middle of a decent run at the moment, having beaten Martin, Laramee, and both of the New Wave in recent weeks. Nemesis - The best known of DAVE's guys, Nemesis is a former SWF star respected by all - except former boss Richard Eisen. Formerly the head booker for DAVE, Nemesis will be called on to be an integral part of the revamped booking team. Eric Tyler - The 'Traditionalist' is a very good mat wrestler with lots of charisma. A much respected locker room leader, he's recently had a fantastic run of matches to take him back up to the top of the card. Chris Caulfield - Best friends with Phil Vibert, and another locker room leader. The Hardcore American is primed to become DAVE's signature star if given the right opportunity. Shawn Gonzalez - Gonzalez was recently rewarded with a hard push up to main event status. However, he'll have a lot to prove as one of the few legitimate main eventers in DAVE, so it will be interesting to see if he's got what it takes to become a star. [u]Upper Midcarders [/u] Eddie Peak - The DAVE Brass Knuckles champion is a massive star in the making. Entertaining and excellent at brawling, Eddie is the better of the two Peak brothers, and has already started to make a move towards singles wrestling. Unfortunately, he's only on a verbal contract, so there's some anxiety that he may be stolen away from DAVE just as he's reaching stardom. Guide - One half of the New Wave tag team, Guide is a decent all rounder. He's also one of the few DAVE guys under a long term written contract, so there's no worry about him jumping ship. Scout - Long time tag partner of Guide, Scout is a very good technical wrestler. It shouldn't be too long before New Wave are wearing the tag team gold, especially given the recent slide of The Animalz. Johnny Martin - Formerly the main man of DAVE, Martin is nowhere near the competitor he was a few years ago, despite being only 36. A long run of hardcore matches have taken their toll on him, but he's still loved by most of the fans. Big Cat Brandon - Until very recently, James Brandon was looked upon as perhaps the next of DAVE's breakout stars. However, a horrible loss of momentum from the 33 year old and his tag partner, the Wolverine, has got many believing that he's destined to be just an afterthought in wrestling history. The Wolverine - 40 year old partner of Big Cat Brandon in the Animalz, the brawler can hold his own in the ring. As mentioned, though, the team are on a real slide now, and it will take some recovering from. Alex Braun - The 44 year old Ice Man, who older readers may remember as Ace Freeze in the 80's SWF, is a veteran face. For the past few years, he's carried youngster Tank Bradley, his tag partner in the New Jersey Devils. Vin Tanner - The 38 year old V-Man is another of DAVE's reliable yet unspectacular brawlers. He could use a new gimmick to freshen up his character. Bryan Holmes - The DAVE Unified champion is a very good technician. Unfortunately, he's also committed to PHGW, which seems to be his main priority. Should he really be the promotion's standard-bearer if he can't even make a solid commitment to be here when needed? If he can show some level of commitment to DAVE, he could be a star. [u]Midcarders[/u] Kurt Laramee - The King of the Streets is looked down on by most wrestling observers because of his lack of wrestling ability, but if you get past that, he's very entertaining and sheer gold on the mic. Tank Bradley - The much younger, and less talented, partner of Alex Braun, Bradley is an almost stereotypically average brawler. For some unknown reason he's been getting a big push, perhaps too big considering his talent level. JD Morgan - The veteran British middleweight is an accomplished technician. He's come to DAVE to gain experience in the US, and so far has mainly been used to put people over. Art Reed - A Canadian technician, Reed is excellent in the ring, but has had virtually no time since signing for DAVE to get his character over. In fact, we're not even sure he HAS a character. On the plus side, he's another with a written contract, so Miss Maynard will have time to work on that. [u]Lower Midcarders[/u] Acid - Formerly the best independent cruiserweight around, the masked man Acid is now on a written contract with DAVE, believed to have about a year left to run. Hasn't been used properly so far though, so it will be interesting to see if the new booking team can find a role for him. Doug Peak - Just a fair brawler, Doug is benefitting from the association with brother and tag partner Eddie, the DAVE Brass Knuckles champion. He's not too great on the mic, and he's got no momentum, so it will be interesting to see how far he can advance. Sammy Bach - Bach is a decent high flyer who can also get technical. Teams with Teddy Powell in Adrenaline Rush. Teddy Powell - A wholesome babyface, Powell is the other half of Adrenaline Rush. [u]Openers[/u] Dallas McWade - Identical twin of Dean McWade, the Canadian and his brother have done reasonably well as a pair of big heel brawlers in the fed whose sole purpose is to look good while getting beat. Dean McWade - See above. [u]Enhancement Talent[/u] Tatsukichi - One of DAVE's more intriguing characters, Tatsu is supposedly the descendant of an ancient Mongol king. The 22 year old came over from Japan a few months back, started off working opening matches, and has been looking very impressive despite having a poor win-loss record. Matt Sparrow - Another of DAVE's up and coming youngsters, the Bird Man is an exciting cruiserweight. The feud with Kurt Laramee set him back, if anything, but he's got enough talent to rise past that. [u]Everyone Else[/u] Carl Batch - Charismatic young manager who handles business for the Peaks. Cat Jemson - Star on the rise. Originally got her job as a manager because she's dating Kurt Laramee off screen, but has proved herself to be one of the top valets around. Currently the cheerleader for the New Jersey Devils. Easy Emma - Extremely entertaining seductress who currently manages Bryan Holmes and also does some color commentary. Hell's Bouncer - Impressive youngster who wants to start wrestling more. He currently plays the bodyguard of Kurt Laramee. Mitch Naess - Young announcer and protege of Phil Vibert. Phil Vibert - Owner, color commentator, and former head booker of DAVE. He'll be handing booking duties over to Zachary Lee. RM Stones and Ryan Holland - Referees. [center]---------------------------------------------------------[/center] "Eh, it's not a terrible group; it's jsut not being used right," Zachary mused to himself. "I've really gotta find a way to shake things up, because our ratings have been stagnant and there's talk that we might lose our TV contract."

Wrestle.com reports: Reports have been received that members of the DAVE booking team have been seen in attendance at events for the CZCW, USPW, and MAW. Rumor has it that new head booker Zachary Lee has sent his team out to scout for the next group of DAVE stars. Insiders also report that Henry Lee and Vin Tanner have been seen backstage at recent SWF and TCW events. Could there be a raid of the DAVE roster in the works, and are the two events related?

"Welcome to DAVE, Mr. Rogers!" And with that, Zachary Lee had made his first talent signing in the form of Jason Rogers. While not a standout in the squared circle, Rogers is somewhat respected by his peers, and the DAVE locker room could use someone that the wrestlers respect. Rogers will serve as the backstage worker for the time being, and he will also serve as a road agent. Rumors continue to circulate that several high-profile wrestlers within DAVE are on the way out as a part of the annual TCW/SWF roster raids. Only time will tell if there is any truth to the rumors...

Week 1, December 2005 [b]DAVE: Danger Zone TV Recap[/b] Attendance: 6,677 (Tri State) Hell's Bouncer defeated Sammy Bach (C) - Every card needs an opening match, and this is it. There's not much else that can be said about this one... The Animalz defeated The McWade Brothers to retain DAVE Tag Team Titles (C+) - This was a solid if unspectacular match. The Animalz showed why they're the champs as they retained the titles. Eddie Peak defeated Johnny Martin (B+) - Eddie Peak, who up to this point has been known more for his exploits as a member of the Peak Brothers tag team, defended his DAVE Brass Knuckles title in the match of the night. This could be billed as a battle of the rising stars, as both men showed the potential to be main eventers. Nemesis defeated Henry Lee (B) - A hardcore match that was surpassed only by the previous tag team match. Nemesis solidifies his spot as one of the top contenders to the DAVE Unified Title, currently held by Bryan Holmes. Overall Card Grade: B Analysis: Overall, not a bad first attempt at putting together a card, but curiously enough, the show got an attendance warning from the network. I'll have to work harder if I'm going to keep our TV slot.

Wrestle.com reports: Henry Lee, Vin Tanner, and Easy Emma have all signed with the SWF, leaving DAVE for the security of written contracts. The SWF also announced that they have signed Danny B. Bling and Craig Prince to written contracts, and reports indicate that the SWF may not be done raiding the rosters of feds across North America.

Week 2, December 2005 [b]DAVE: Danger Zone TV Recap[/b] Attendance: 2,000 (North West) Tank Bradley defeated Kurt Laramee (C+) - A solid start to what I hope will be a breakthrough night on Danger Zone. Bradley and Laramee weren't perfectly matched in the ring, but they put on a decent match. JD Morgan defeated Acid (B-) - Oddly enough, this ended up being the best match of the night. Morgan, always a steady worker, narrowly defeated Acid with a handful of tights on the pin. The New Wave defeated The Animalz (C+) - The Animalz just didn't have enough to withstand Guide and Scout, who won the DAVE Tag Team Titles for the first time. Chris Caulfield defeated Tatsukichi (C) - A disappointing match, to say the least. I'm not really sure why I booked Tatsukichi against Caulfield, but now I know that there's a reason Tatsukichi is an enhancement talent. Overall Card Grade: C- Analysis: This was definitely a step back from last week's show, and it showed in the TV ratings too. We got another ratings warning from the network, so we really need to turn things around if we're going to keep our TV slot.

Week 3, December 2005 "DAMN!!!" "I can't believe we lost Tanner, Lee, and Emma to the SWF! Just for once I'd like to be able to keep our talent here in DAVE, without having to worry about other promotions coming in and gobbling up all our best talent. At least we've got our very best workers under written contract for a while, because as bad as this is, it would have been worse if it had been Caulfield or Nemesis." "Well hey, at least I signed Alysian Scottsfield today..."

Week 3, December 2005 [b]DAVE: Danger Zone TV Recap[/b] Attendance: 2,000 (Great Lakes) Tank Bradley and Kurt Laramee fought to a draw (C) - Seeking revenge for last week's defeat at the hands of Tank Bradley, Kurt Laramee pulled out all the stops but still couldn't get the win. A double disqualification ended this one. Sammy Bach defeated Cliff "Dark Angel" Wilson (C+) - A solid match, but nothing spectacular. Bach wins by pinfall. Eddie Peak defeated Shawn Gonzalez (C+) - Eddie Peak defended his Brass Knuckles Title and again showed enough potential to be considered one of the rising stars in DAVE. Nemesis defeated The McWade Brothers (B) - Arguably the most intimidating worker in DAVE, Nemesis easily defeated both of the McWade brothers in a handicap match. Chris Caulfield and Eric Tyler fought to a draw (B) - Another above-average match from Chris Caulfield, who is steadily shaping up to be the marquee star in DAVE. Caulfield retains the DAVE Unified Title that he won last week. Overall Card Grade: B Analysis: You'd think that a "B" rated card would be enough to avoid the dreaded ratings warning, but not so. Another ratings warning can't be a good sign for Danger Zone TV.

In my current game with DAVE I lost my TV deal but was able to get a new one the next season and 2 more the following. I'm still at cult status and gaining some ground in popularity after 9 months. Also right now my roster is rather large. NYCW went out of business and I picked up a lot of their top wrestlers.

Week 4, December 2005 [b]DAVE: Danger Zone TV Recap[/b] Attendance: 2,000 (Mid South) Hell's Bouncer defeated Matt Sparrow (C-) - A solid if unspectacular match. I have high hopes for Sparrow and Hell's Bouncer, but they just don't work well together. The New Wave defeats The Animalz (C+) - In a rematch from two weeks ago, The New Wave proved why they're the champs, easily defeating The Animalz, who seem to be in a bit of a funk. Eddie Peak defeated Shawn Gonzalez (C+) - Eddie Peak defended his Brass Knuckles Title in a rematch from last week. I had hoped for more from Gonzalez, but Eddie Peak really carried this match, while Gonzalez seemed to be off his game. Adrenaline Rush defeated The McWade Brothers (C+) - In a match to see who'd be the number one contenders to the DAVE Tag Titles, Sammy Bach and Teddy Powell outlasted the McWade Brothers. Chris Caulfield defeated Eric Tyler (B+) - Another above-average match from Chris Caulfield and Eric Tyler, both of whom showed why they're two of DAVE's main eventers. Caulfield retains the DAVE Unified Title. Overall Card Grade: C Analysis: And with this card, DAVE loses its one and only TV slot. I had hoped to save our TV slot, but it just wasn't in the cards this time.

Week 4, December 2005 It's been a long week. Not only did we lose our TV slot, but we lost another good worker when Kurt Laramee signed with the SWF. I suppose I should have seen it coming, considering the fact that he's a rising star, but I had hoped that Cat Jemson could have convinced him to stay, at least for her sake. Add to that the fact that I had to let Alex Braun go, and it's safe to say that this was a tough week. As tough as this week was, it hasn't been all bad, because we did sign Brent Hill and Phenomenal E to contracts, and to be honest I think they could have a bright future here in DAVE. I'm just looking forward to our Christmas With the Devil pay per view, because it's going to be my first big chance to prove that Phil's faith in me wasn't misguided. I just hope that I don't mess it up...

Archived