1991- WWF: Rise To Perfection

Also, if anyone has any opinions on who should win the Rumble, I'd definitely be interested in hearing them. I've got 3 or 4 different ideas bouncing around in my head, and just can't decide on one. So maybe some outside voices could help push me in one direction or another.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWF Primetime Wrestling

Cobo Arena - Detroit, MI

Attendance - 9,822

Wednesday, Week 4, January 1991

PRESHOW

Tugboat defeated Boris Zhukov in 5:04 by pinfall with a Vertical Splash.

Notes: D-. Zhukov seemed off his game tonight.

Owen Hart defeated Max Moon in 6:57 by submission with a Sharpshooter.

Notes: C-

Taped for USA Network, Sky Sports & TSN

Royal Rumble Qualifying Match

The Great Muta defeated Jim Powers in 5:40 by pinfall with a Moonsault Press.

Notes: D. The Great Muta and Mr Fuji are a good pairing, they play off each other well. The Great Muta and Jim Powers have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match.

Million Dollar Man cuts a promo taunting Kerry Von Erich about his match at the Royal Rumble vs. The Undertaker.

Notes: B-

During an interview with Gene Okerlund, Mr Fuji hypes his new client The Great Muta, telling the locker room, and the world, that they will soon dominate the WWF.

Notes: D+

Kerry Von Erich defeated Virgil in 5:48 by pinfall after a Tornado Punch.

Earthquake is interviewed with Jimmy Hart by Gene Okerlund backstage about their upcoming match with Hulk Hogan.

Notes: B-. Jimmy Hart helped Earthquake during the segment.

Andre the Giant defeated The Warlord in 3:47 by pinfall with a Butt Drop.

Notes: C

Mr Perfect appears and says that he accepts the challenge laid down by Jake Roberts for Royal Rumble.

Notes: B. Heenan helped during the segment.

The Legion Of Doom defeated Rhythm 'n' Blues in 6:57 when Road Warrior Hawk defeated Greg Valentine by pinfall with a Doomsday Device.

Notes: B. Road Warrior Animal was really off his game tonight. Brother Love did some good work at ringside as Rhythm 'n' Blues new manager.

The Ultimate Warrior is interviewed by Gene Okerlund backstage about their upcoming match with Sgt. Slaughter.

Notes: A.

The Undertaker won a battle royal in 14:42 to make him the #30 entrant into the Royal Rumble. The final four competitors also included Jake Roberts, Mr Perfect and Brian Knobbs, with Jake Roberts being the final elimination. Davey Boy was eliminated with interference from Randy Savage.

Match included: Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, Jerry Saggs, Briann Knobbs, Davey Boy Smith, Jake Roberts, Mr. Perfect, Undertaker, & Tito Santana

Notes: B. Saggs & Anvil both seemed off their games tonight.

OVERALL: B-

My Thoughts: Decent show before the Rumble. Muta's debut was a little disappointing, granted you can expect much vs. Powers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Royal_Rumble_1991.jpg

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match

The Ultimate Warrior vs. Sgt. Slaughter

WWF Intercontinental Title Match

Mr. Perfect vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts

WWF World Tag Team Title Match

The Hart Foundation vs. Nasty Boys

Hulk Hogan vs. Earthquake

The Undertaker w/"Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase vs. Kerry Von Erich

"Macho King" Randy Savage vs. Davey Boy Smith

Royal Rumble Match

Hulk Hogan, Col. Mustafa, Randy Savage, Tito Santana, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Honky Tonk Man, Kerry Von Erich, Mr. Perfect, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, Tully Blanchard, The Undertaker, "Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, The Great Muta, Rick "The Model" Martel, Marty Jannetty, Shawn Michaels, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, Road Warrior Hawk, Road Warrior Animal, Big Bossman, Owen Hart, Earthquake, Brian Knobbs, Jerry Saggs, Tugboat, Davey Boy Smith, & Andre The Giant

WWF Superstars

Douglas Everitt Center - Concord, NH

Attendance - 2,000

Saturday, Week 4, January 1991

PRESHOW

Paul Roma defeated Max Moon in 6:38 by pinfall with a Top Rope Elbow Drop.

Notes: D-. Paul Roma and Max Moon just don't click at all.

Dustin Rhodes defeated Buddy Rose in 6:48 by pinfall.

Notes: D. Buddy Rose and Dustin Rhodes don't seem to click.

Taped for USA Network, TSN, Sky Sports, & ATV

Tugboat defeated The Berzerker in 5:49 by pinfall with a Vertical Splash.

Notes: D-. Tugboat seemed off his game tonight. The Berzerker and Tugboat don't seem to click.

Dean Douglas bursts into Jack Tunney 's office and demands another match against the Big Bossman, this time as a no DQ match.

Kerry Von Erich is interviewed by Lord Alfred Hayes backstage about his upcoming match with The Undertaker.

Notes: D

No Disqualification

Big Bossman defeated Dean Douglas in 5:47 by pinfall with a Boss Man Slam.

Notes: E+

Randy Savage is interviewed by Lord Alfred Hayes backstage about his upcoming match with Davey Boy Smith.

Notes: B-

Jim Duggan defeated Dino Bravo in 5:36 by pinfall with a Three Point Stance.

Notes: C-. Dino Bravo was really off his game tonight.

The Ultimate Warrior is backstage. He cuts a promo on Sgt. Slaughter and guarantees a victor at the Royal Rumble.

Notes: A

The Rockers defeated Rhythm 'n' Blues in 10:06 when Shawn Michaels defeated Greg Valentine by pinfall with a side suplex.

Notes: C+. Honky Tonk Man was really off his game tonight.

OVERALL: C+

My Thoughts: Just a pre-PPV B-show. Promos to hype the matches, but not much else of importance.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Royal_Rumble_1991.jpg

WWF Royal Rumble

Richfield Coliseum - Richfield, OH

Attendance - 26,821

Sunday, Week 4, January 1991

PRESHOW

The Rockers defeated Rick 'The Model' Martel and Owen Hart in 13:09 when Shawn Michaels defeated Owen Hart by pinfall with a side suplex.

Notes: B. Owen Hart was really off his game tonight. Shawn Michaels looked good out there.

Live On Pay-Per-View

WWF World Tag Team Title Match

The Hart Foundation defeated The Nasty Boys in 7:38 when Bret Hart defeated Brian Knobbs by submission with a Sharpshooter. The Hart Foundation make defense number 1 of their WWF World Tag Team titles.

Notes: C. Bret Hart looked excellent out there.

Ted DiBiase and Undertaker are backstage, and give a promo on Kerry Von Erich and The Royal Rumble match.

Notes: B+

The Undertaker defeated Kerry Von Erich in 8:34 by pinfall with a Tombstone. Throughout the match, Ted Dibiase continued to distract Von Erich without physically getting involved.

Notes: B-.

Randy Savage is interviewed by Gene Okerlund backstage about hiw upcoming match with Davey Boy Smith.

Randy Savage defeated Davey Boy Smith in 15:14 by pinfall after the Flying Elbow Drop.

Notes: A. The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown.

Hulk Hogan is interviewed by Gene Okerlund backstage about his upcoming match with Earthquake.

Notes: A+

Hulk Hogan defeated Earthquake in 6:50 by pinfall with a Big Boot and Leg Drop.

Notes: B. The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown.

Sgt. Slaughter cuts an anti-American promo.

Notes: B. General Adnan Al-Kaissey helped Slaughter during this segment.

In the middle of Slaughter's promo, an American flag gets draped in front of the camera. When the flag gets pulled away, we see the Ultimate Warrior face to face with Slaughter. Slaughter and Adnan back away. Warrior has red, white and blue face paint. Even as a native of Parts Unknown, the Warrior has heard enough from the Iraqi turncoat, Sgt. Slaughter.

WWF Intercontinental Title Match

Mr. Perfect defeated Jake Roberts at 12:21 by pinfall with the Perfect-Plex to retain the WWF Intercontinental Title.

Notes: B.

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match

The Ultimate Warrior defeated Sgt. Slaughter in 12:06 by pinfall with the Gorilla Press Slam followed by the big splash. The Ultimate Warrior makes defence number 1 of his WWF World Heavyweight title.

Notes: B. The Ultimate Warrior was exhausted by the end. Sgt. Slaughter seemed off his game tonight. Sgt. Slaughter was visibly tiring toward the end. The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown.

Royal Rumble Match

Ted Dibiase, scheduled to come out #19, revealed that he had paid The Undertaker to switch spots with him, and that he would take the #30 spot in the Rumble. Undertaker was able to survive and then protect DiBiase all the way to the final 4. The final four competitors were The Undertaker, Hulk Hogan, Million Dollar Man and Davey Boy Smith. While The Undertaker was occupied battling Hogan, Davey Boy was able to eliminate Dibiase. Davey Boy was the next to go courtesy of The Undertaker. Leaving Hulk Hogan & The Undertaker as the final two competitors. The two competitors battled back and forth, trading near eliminations. The final elimination came when Undertaker whipped Hogan to the ropes. Dibiase, still at ringside, pulled down the top rope, causing Hogan to tumble to the outside. The Undertaker was the 1991 Royal Rumble Champion with an assist by the Million Dollar Man. Undertaker raised his arms, and the lights went off to end the show.

Notes: B.

OVERALL: B+

My Thoughts: I'm very please overall by the show. It took quite a bit of effort to get around Hogan's creative control clause and get the ending I wanted for the Rumble. I love Hogan, and I'm sure he'll get another title run at some point in the future, but just not now. Davey Boy & Savage was a big surprise as Match of the Night. One thing has become clear to me, Bret (and probably Shawn Michaels) needs to start to move away from the tag team scene if I going to meet the owner goals for them. With my 3 most over tag teams on the face side of things, I'll either need to mix things up, or move those guys out of their to grow them. Although, I think I've decided to make Owen & Martel a permanent tag team, so maybe they can build some momentum as a heel tag team. Let the Road To Wrestlemania begin with Warrior vs. Taker set as the main event.

Monday, Week 1, February 1991

Dusty Rhodes, Sato & Ax have all left the WWF due to contract expiry.

There are rumors swirling that Hulk Hogan has gotten alot of heat from his fellow members in the WWF locker room from his politicking and attitude last night at the Royal Rumble. Rumors are that he met with WWF booker Jayson Gardner. The meeting was said to have not gone well.

WWF Wrestling Challenge

Northwest (Very Small)

Attendance - 1,715

Tuesday, Week 1, February 1991

PRESHOW

Jim Duggan defeated Steven Regal in 6:18 by pinfall with a Three Point Stance.

Haku & The Barbarian defeated The Bushwhackers in 7:41 when The Barbarian defeated Bushwhacker Butch by pinfall with a Crescent Kick.

Notes: D. Bushwhacker Luke seemed off his game tonight.

Taped for USA Network & Sky One

The Legion Of Doom defeated The Nasty Boys in 5:57 when Road Warrior Animal defeated Brian Knobbs by pinfall with a Doomsday Device.

Notes: B-. Road Warrior Animal looked good out there.

Demolition attacked The Legion Of Doom in the ring, and leave them down and out following the match.

Notes: C-. Road Warrior Animal was a real star in this segment.

Earthquake is interviewed by Lord Alfred Hayes backstage about his upcoming match with Big Bossman.

Notes: C+. Jimmy Hart helped Earthquake during this segment.

Big Bossman defeated Earthquake in 5:45 by pinfall with a Boss Man Slam.

Notes: D+. The match suffered because of the lack of selling on display. The match had very little drama of flow to it, as nobody in the ring had the psychology to take control properly.

OVERALL: C-

I just wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone who gave input on the Rumble winner, and everyone who is reading. Its amazing how much more into the game you can get just knowing that a few people besides yourself are following it. Usually when I play, I just throw shows together without much thought, lose interest after about a month of game play, and then come back to it the next week for about another month. But this game here, I've actually started planning in advance and such because its more than just me following along, and its really making the game much more interesting and more enjoyable. So thanks to everyone. And if you haven't considered trying one, I highly suggest it, its really brought new life to the game for me.

WWF Primetime Wrestling

Lawlor Events Center - Reno, NV

Attendance - 9,784

Wednesday, Week 1, February 1991

PRESHOW

Jim Powers is interviewed by Lord Alfred Hayes backstage about his upcoming match with Dino Bravo.

Notes: E

Jim Powers defeated Dino Bravo in 6:25 by pinfall with a Powerslam.

Notes: D-. im Powers and Dino Bravo just don't click at all, and it showed in their performances.

Taped for USA Network, Sky Sports, & TSN

Steve Austin defeated Honky Tonk Man in 7:01 by pinfall with a StarStruck.

Notes: C.

Earthquake comes out. He explains that with his recent lack of success, it is time for a change of management. He introduces Slick as his new manager.

Notes: C+

Bobby Heenan introduces Rick Martel & Owen Hart as his "Brain Trust". They cut a promo on The Rockers.

Notes: C-. Heenan helped Martel & Owen during the segment.

Col. Mustafa defeated Jim Duggan in 5:50 by submission.

Notes: D+. Col. Mustafa and Jim Duggan don't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout.

The Undertaker and Million Dollar Man are interviewed backstage by Gene Okerlund. They discuss the Royal Rumble, and DiBiase promises that they will defeat The Ultimate Warrior and win the WWF Championship at Wrestlemania.

Notes: B+. Dibiase helped Taker during this segment.

Brain Trust defeated The Rockers in 13:13 when Rick 'The Model' Martel defeated Marty Jannetty by submission with the Boston Crab. Michaels was unable to break the hold as he was occupied at ringside with Owen Hart and an interfering Bobby Heenan.

Notes: C+. Shawn Michaels looked good out there.

Following the match, Demolition attack The Rockers in the ring, and leave them down and out.

The Ultimate Warrior cuts a promo on the Undertaker, and his win over Slaughter at the Rumble.

Randy Savage defeated Jimmy Snuka in 6:47 by pinfall with a Macho Elbow.

Notes: B. Davey Boy Smith was at ringside to do guest commentary. He promised that things were not over between him and Savage.

Hulk Hogan is interviewed by Gene Okerlund backstage about the Royal Rumble. Hogan is obviously angry about DiBiase costing him the Rumble.

Notes: A

Hulk Hogan defeated Tully Blanchard in 6:43 by pinfall with a Big Boot and Leg Drop.

Notes: B. Hulk Hogan and Tully Blanchard have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match.

OVERALL: B-

My Thoughts: Early build for Wrestlemania starts. Steve Austin debuts with a solid win over the Honky Tonk Man. I have hopes for The Brain Trust to become my top heel tag team.

WWF Superstars

Cowtown Coliseum - Fort Worth, TX

Attendance - 1,995

Saturday, Week 1, February 1991

PRESHOW

Jim Powers defeated Brooklyn Brawler in 6:56 by pinfall with a Powerslam.

Tito Santana defeated Steven Regal in 6:43 by pinfall with a Flying Forearm.

Taped for USA Network, Sky Sports, TSN & ATV

Haku & The Barbarian defeated Chris Walker and Barry Orton in 2:43 when Haku defeated Chris Walker by pinfall with a Cresant Kick.

Notes: E+. Haku was really off his game tonight. The Barbarian was really off his game tonight.

Steve Austin is on his way to the ring to cut a promo. On his way out of the curtain, he is attacked from behind by the Honky Tonk Man.

Big Bossman defeated Boris Zhukov in 2:48 by pinfall with a Boss Man Slam.

Notes: D-

Following the match, Earthquake attacks Big Bossman in the ring, and leaves him down and out.

Notes: C+

Dean Douglas is interviewed by Lord Alfred Hayes backstage about his upcoming match with Kerry Von Erich.

Kerry Von Erich defeated Dean Douglas in 5:40 by pinfall.

Notes: C. Dean Douglas seemed off his game tonight.

Jake Roberts defeated Buddy Rose in 6:43 by pinfall with a DDT.

Notes: D+. Buddy Rose and Jake Roberts don't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout.

Mr Perfect cuts a promo about just how perfect he is.

Notes: B

Rick 'The Model' Martel defeated Jim Neidhart in 6:46 by submission with a Boston Crab after interference from Owen Hart.

OVERALL: C

im finding this interesting..i like the warrior vs undertaker idea at wrestlemania and it sounds like hogan may want to get a piece of dibiase at mania as well...and it seems like the brain trust are going after my favorite tag team the hart foundation lets see how u go about the whole relation thing..i'll be watching

Archived